Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
Sans Morello's inventive soloing?
Huh? Morello's "inventive" soloing?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #332
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

yes, his solos were inventive and pretty damn unique, to this day. can't really argue that even if you hate rage

Old 01-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #333
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"Soundgarden Return To The Studio

Chris Cornell has posted a photo on Twitter announcing that he is back in the studio. Soundgarden began work on their next album a few months ago, their first since 2012’s comeback record King Animal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CY4E6zjUQAA-JNx.jpg

Chris Cornell told The Advertiser Confidential last month that Soundgarden will begin recording their next album immediately after he concludes touring Higher Truth. The band already started working on material a couple of months ago.

“It’s great to be able to do the Soundgarden stuff and my solo career simultaneously,” he says.

“That’s what makes me lucky as a performer. As soon as this album cycle is over I’m working on Soundgarden songs for an album — I get to do a lot of different things and it feels like I get to have my cake and eat it too.”

Cornell also discussed his longevity in the industry, ““It feels much shorter but the scary thing is means I’m much older than the next guy doing this,” he says. “But you know it’s rare that someone who comes from the world I come from which is indie alternative can have a career this long and be able to still make new music.”

http://www.alternativenation.net/sou...to-the-studio/

Old 05-19-2017, 03:28 AM   #334
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Was it really worth freaking out that much over one word?

>>>

"A few weeks ago, Corgan took a shot at Soundgarden, returning fire at the grunge legends and their reunion. “There are those bands that are essentially coming back only to make money … I was a fan of Soundgarden, but call it for what it is. They’re just out there to have one more round at the till.”

Today, (Aug. 31) Corgan appeared on the Area 93.3 radio channel and wen’t further in depth about his feud with Cornell and Soundgarden. “Well there’s a little bit of a backstory there,” begins Corgan. “Chris Cornell was somebody I considered a friend, and would never have said a harsh word about. When the band came back in 2007, he was quoted in an interview saying basically he didn’t consider our reunion to be, in quotations, to be ‘legitimate.’ I kind of have an elephant’s memory when it comes to somebody punching me in the face.”

He continues, “Cornell’s one of those people who is extremely talented, I was a fan from literally their 2nd EP, met him in 1991 and still believe in what was great about the band. But when we’re sitting there having conversations about who is doing what, I am no longer going to shield somebody, if they want to punch me in the face I’m happy to punch them back in the face. Respect the man’s talent, People gloss over the Timbaland album, [Laughs] you know what I mean? My point is look, I don’t have any specific bone to pick, even though I just made a specific case for one. My point is don’t lump us in with people who are sort of just doing the reunion lap. Now, of course fans are lighting up my Twitter saying do you realize Soundgarden is doing a new album, well if they are great, that’s what they should be doing. Great musicians they should make new music and hopefully they’ll make great albums because we need artists to make great albums and great music in this day and age of the robots and the posers and the faux hawks bands.”

Corgan concludes, “Does it make sense; do I sound like a fan? Because I am a fan. I want all of my generation to raise the bar, and I don’t appreciate when somebody from my generation, who I once considered a friend, decides to piss on my little spot in the corner for whatever reason at the same time he’s making the Timbaland album, you know what I mean? That’s where it gets kind of dicey for me, so that’s sort of the real back story of where that came from.” "

---

"The Smashing Pumpkins/Soundgarden feud has picked up again, with Soundgarden members Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd, and Matt Cameron going off on Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan and similar frontmen in a recent interview with Gigwise. The feud started a couple of years ago when Corgan accused Soundgarden of reuniting for the money. Below are some quotes from the band discussing cynicism regarding their reunion.

Kim Thayil: “We weren’t the only band to reunite in the last 5 or 6 years.”

Kim Thayil: “Some haven’t made records, they just go out on tour and make a bunch of money touring and they’re not really creative together, they’re just playing hits or whatever.”

Kim Thayil: “It’s not possible for us to do a bad record. Here’s how it’s possible to do a bad record. You’ve got one jackass who runs the whole thing, and a bunch of guys they hire around him.”

Matt Cameron: “Who you talking about?”

Ben Shepherd: “You mean the yes men?”

Kim Thayil: “Now you can make a bad record because your stupid ideas aren’t being bounced around, going to the fucking ether.”

Ben Shepherd: “Some are like a yes men thing, we’re like a no men thing.”

Kim Thayil: “If you’ve got a band where one guy calls the shots, that’s a band that’s going to suck. Because the guy might have bad thoughts in his head. Well I just came out of sobriety and I’ve got this idea for a rock record, I just married my third wife and I have this new idea for a rock record.”

The interviewer then specifically asked about Billy Corgan criticizing the reunion, since it was clear that they were referring to him.

Matt Cameron: “I think Kim has addressed that point.”

Ben Shepherd: “How we deal with it is we just control ourselves so we just focus on what we’re going to do, how and what we’re going to be and that’s all you can really control in life, not what some dickhead says about you, so you just don’t worry about it.”

Kim also said that he was talking about many bands with one leader leading their band. "

---

"Thayil said:

We feel confident that if the four of us all like an album, it’s going to do well. We don’t have one member who is deciding the composition of an album. You should know who I am talking about, but I am not going to name names. We have four guys who write songs here. We have four guys contributing material without someone calling bullshit on it. You follow me? There are many bands out there that are led by one guy who does all the writing? He might have some religious epiphany or some psychedelic experience and he will write all this material that can very easily suck. And the rest of his band feels like they have to play it. That is not Soundgarden. Consequently, we have never made a record that sucked."

---

"Now, in a new interview with ABC News Radio, Cornell had a chance to respond to the blow-for-blow exchange. Cornell summed it up succinctly saying Corgan should be thanking him, not bashing him. “When Billy Corgan was completely broke, I got him a movie deal with director Cameron Crowe where he made $40,000,” Cornell explains. “He was very happy about that, and he was specifically happy about the $40,000.” But that wasn’t all. Cornell offered this parting jab, “So next time you see him, tell him he owes me my $40,000 back.”

Old 05-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #335
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

owned

Old 05-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #336
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Meh. When Billy dies, he won't have nearly as many people mourning him and looking back on his career with the same level of fondness. Chris may have died first, but he still wins.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #337
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Fucken bill man

Just can never let it go. It's like on the one hand I'd feel sorry for him b/c he's clearly mentally/emotionally disabled. But on the other, he insists on being such a fucken dick about everything

Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #338
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Exactly. He is fucking PETTY.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #339
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/...etty1-1200.jpg

Old 05-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #340
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
owned

Not at all. Thayil is just jealous he can't manage to make a great album on his own, so he's gotta piss on Billy who has that ability? lol.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #341
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

What "great" album has Billy made on his own?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #342
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Even Siamese Dream had Jimmy, without whom the whole thing would've fallen apart entirely.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #343
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
What "great" album has Billy made on his own?

All of them. I mean, if he doesn't have Jimmy he can't extend the sound into the nether-regions of the hard rock they produced, but he did have him and Jimmy followed along and that was that.

Name me one lyric Thayil wrote, sang and then played it all at the same time?

Billy's a douche' for bringing up the reunion cash grab, because even if he's right, who gives a shit? Nobody. But Thayil went out of his lane a bit trying to critique Billy on an aspect of musicianship he can't touch himself personally.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #344
fuzzyroes
Banned

They're both bands with only 2 great records. I guess ones more compelled to side with Soundgarden cause they always did things the right way and seem like good dudes. You don't hear their music plastered over VISA commercials.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #345
The Omega Concern
Banned

fair point. the visa ad was presumably about money, so...

I'm just finding out about this 'feud' between the two now. Looks like the roots of it go back to the early days, but it also seems fairly benign as far as band feuds go.

Has Billy mentioned anything about Cornell's passing yet? I would like to think upon reflection, Billy has it in him to muster up a proper and respectful thought on a contemporary of his.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #346
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

There was no feud

Old 05-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #347
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd say any reunion is a bit of a cash grab on some level. I mean Cornell just got done doing a temple of the dog reunion. Hell, even if it isn't a reunion- I love PJ, but those dudes just tour now, pander to the audience, and play their old stuff.

Anyway, sounded like two bands that finished in 2nd and 3rd place bitching and moaning at each other. Though Chris' post band "supergroup" shit on Bill's.

Bummer about Chris though. I was never a huge soundgarden guy, but he seemed like a pretty cool and down to earth dude. Had a great voice.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #348
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
There was no feud

tell that to Billy. Cornell's drop on owing him $40,000 is just friends joshing around? don't think so...

Old 05-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #349
The Omega Concern
Banned

billy had nice thoughts on Lyn Staley when he died. I'm figuring something focusing on the man's artistic merit should be said on Cornell's behalf, for I'm sure that's how Billy would ultimately like to be remembered in the public eye as well .

Old 05-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #350
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
tell that to Billy. Cornell's drop on owing him $40,000 is just friends joshing around? don't think so...
What's 40k 20+ years later?

Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #351
The Omega Concern
Banned

Your personal thought on whether that's a diss is irrelevant. Billy felt dissed by these guys several times, ergo, a feud developed over time. period. But I don't think it was so huge Billy couldn't say something nice in his passing.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #352
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

SD was a Billy/Jimmy collab

MCIS was a full band effort

the other tsp records aren't all that

so fuck you omega billy did his best shit with A LOT of help, especially from Jimmy.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #353
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post

so fuck you omega billy did his best shit with A LOT of help, especially from Jimmy.
Let's not forget all of the hard work that those records got from the engineers and producers to try and make Billy's voice sound even partially listenable.

If Billy didn't have their help/services then he'd still be working at a used record store.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #354
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
All of them. I mean, if he doesn't have Jimmy he can't extend the sound into the nether-regions of the hard rock they produced, but he did have him and Jimmy followed along and that was that.

Name me one lyric Thayil wrote, sang and then played it all at the same time?
I don't get your logic here... you're comparing apples to baseballs here as Thayil was never Soundgarden's lead vocalist. He wrote a few lyrics ("Never the Machine Forever", "Non-State Actor" and one or two others) but he was never the vocalist.

The appropriate comparisson would be to name all of the lyrics that Cornell wrote, sang and then played it all at the same time.

Using your logic we should ask you to name one lyric that Jeff wrote, sang and then played it all at the same time?

Hell, name anything that Jeff's done in his tenure will SP... aside from being Billy's bitch/yes man.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:15 AM   #355
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post

oh i know you didn't just shit on adore so badly

Old 05-20-2017, 01:21 AM   #356
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Kim Thayil: “If you’ve got a band where one guy calls the shots, that’s a band that’s going to suck. Because the guy might have bad thoughts in his head. Well I just came out of sobriety and I’ve got this idea for a rock record, I just married my third wife and I have this new idea for a rock record.”

The interviewer then specifically asked about Billy Corgan criticizing the reunion, since it was clear that they were referring to him.

Matt Cameron: “I think Kim has addressed that point.”
this has been posted so long ago but i just got around to seeing it.
i think it's interesting to point out Matt Cameron appears to be a bit salty about the shitty treatment he got from bill in the Adore days.

it's a small rockn'roll world

Old 05-20-2017, 02:29 AM   #357
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i think it's interesting to point out Matt Cameron appears to be a bit salty about the shitty treatment he got from bill in the Adore days.
Did anything else happen apart from this?
>>>

"Matt Cameron did seven songs, as mentioned, but appeared on only one for the finished record, "For Martha"."

---

"Matt Cameron was used on a number of different tracks but appears on only one on the finished record, ‘For Martha’. According to James Iha, another song Cameron initially played on, ‘Pug’, started life as “a minor key blues death march” before Corgan programmed a drum machine and employed a number of synths."

---

"Also on Adore, you worked with Matt Cameron a little bit, what are your memories of working with Matt?

BC: Excellent drummer. We got along fine, beyond that I don’t know. He’s not an easy person to get to know, as a lot of people are, which is a quality that I’ve grown to appreciate in people as I’ve gotten older. At the time, I was probably a little bit more like an excited puppy, because I was a fan, and I was excited that he was playing on the record. I do remember particularly, we tracked “For Martha” live, the whole band. James, D’arcy, and Matt were in the other room, and I was in a sort of isolated room playing the piano live. I do have very good memories of that, because it’s like a 7 minute song, a really difficult song to get the right emotion to, and it took a lot of focus on his part to get such a great take.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #358
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Soundgarden was in an episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy

Old 05-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #359
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Soundgarden was in an episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy

P.S.:

Old 05-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #360
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

CHRIS CORNELL's collaboration with TIMBALAND was much better than BILLY CORGAN's attempts to reach a younger audience.