Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #61
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Got an Untitled in your cache stash? I quite like Lisa's noodling...even if Kahlo doesn't and has a thing for Garson.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #62
Insight_Scoop
Demi-God

Even though the album ended up being kind of shitty, the build-up and subsequent tour was exciting and fun to follow. There was still aura and mystique. It really was something else to see B0ll and Jim play things like 33, Set the Ray to Jerry, and even Cherub Rock because those songs had seemed "off limits" for a long time. Now that I'm thinking of it, those setlists were fucking great for fans like us and did not deserve backlash.

20th anniversary tour/GLOW in 2008 is where shit started to get real sour. The Manson tour felt like a step in the right direction and then the plainsong thing was cool. And now, with rumblings of an OG lineup reunion, I'm starting to feel that very specific pumpkins vibe we've gotten flashes of since '07. I (perhaps foolishly) have hope we are on the cusp of something cool.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:14 PM   #63
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight_Scoop View Post
Even though the album ended up being kind of shitty, the build-up and subsequent tour was exciting and fun to follow. There was still aura and mystique. It really was something else to see B0ll and Jim play things like 33, Set the Ray to Jerry, and even Cherub Rock because those songs had seemed "off limits" for a long time. Now that I'm thinking of it, those setlists were fucking great for fans like us and did not deserve backlash.

20th anniversary tour/GLOW in 2008 is where shit started to get real sour. The Manson tour felt like a step in the right direction and then the plainsong thing was cool. And now, with rumblings of an OG lineup reunion, I'm starting to feel that very specific pumpkins vibe we've gotten flashes of since '07. I (perhaps foolishly) have hope we are on the cusp of something cool.
I never got the bad publicity for the 2007 tour. Yeah sure, it sucked that D'arcy and James weren't there, but it was a pretty awesome experience. Different set lists every night, added different songs added to the repertoire nightly, sets routinely lasting more than 2 hours ETC. The show in Vancouver was great. Sold out venue and the fans were super into it, so I was shocked to read so many poor reviews coming out of other markets. I guess the one thing that sucked was that the snarl and rasp was all gone from his voice but aside from that there was a lot of energy surrounding the show.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #64
Ram27
dumb

don't get the set complaints either, they were amazing.

this isn't a cromulent reason really because i'm basically just deciding what to rewatch on youtube, but the things that i don't like about this era are the garbage vocals and jeff

Old 07-11-2017, 02:21 AM   #65
Ram27
dumb

definitely felt the pumpkins vibe when iha came back last spring, and when corgan was posting those videos on facebook last summer

god all that shit was a year ago

nothing since

Old 07-11-2017, 02:32 AM   #66
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

They were able to bring the magic indeed...FANTASTIC performance of Set The Ray To Jerry (Detroit, 10/7/2007):

...from the same show:

Last edited by amoergosum : 07-11-2017 at 04:22 AM.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #67
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

can't say much for the actual new music, but yeah BC and co. really brought their best effort in terms of putting on good shows and showing serious investment in reviving SP. It's not easy to play 3+ hour shows every night and keep switching up the set list, bring backs tons of songs that haven't been played in 7-10 years, etc.

But I also disagree with the criticism of the 20th anniversary era. It wasn't until Jimmy left that Corgan totally lost it and seemed to just be dialing it in for the money. I saw them live I think 5 times in 2007/2008, and the band seemed to be playing better together every time I saw them. The 2nd night of the 20th anniversary thing was amazing, and the new songs sounded great, the addition of horns was really cool, and I felt that they were pushing forward in a new direction. Even Owata sounded good. But of course then shit just totally collapsed in on itself and the output became unlistenable by 2009, post-J0mmy

Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #68
Ram27
dumb

it must've been tough for the replacements to learn all those songs

even jim got mixed up during that one leaked soundcheck. corgan started playing frail and bedazzled and he played the kitty kat intro

i guess after burns left he just stopped trying around 2014 and did the same greatest hits set every night. hell, even then they did stuff like hummer, it was just a trash rendition because of the people in the band

Old 07-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #69
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

2008:

Old 07-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #70
SomaPhreak
Ownz

Post Hope?

Zeitgeist had its moments. Tarantula, United States, Neverlost, and Zeitgeist are good songs that fit in with the songs from the 90's heyday. However, the Zeitgeist era and the subsequent eras until last years' Plainsong tour (which was great) have been disappointing. May they slay huge crowds with a flaming rock show next year.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #71
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Everyone go and listen to Bullet with Butterfly Wings. I swear he is singing about Hillarys cult shit in the verse 1. Confirmation bias probably but still interesting to me.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #72
Ram27
dumb

i think the lyrics are general enough they could fit with that

also i've never heard of any cult shit involving hillary

Old 07-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #73
myosis
Minion of Satan

lol do you believe what the mainstream media tells you?
textbook definition of insanity here

Old 07-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #74
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
But I also disagree with the criticism of the 20th anniversary era. It wasn't until Jimmy left that Corgan totally lost it and seemed to just be dialing it in for the money. I saw them live I think 5 times in 2007/2008, and the band seemed to be playing better together every time I saw them. The 2nd night of the 20th anniversary thing was amazing, and the new songs sounded great, the addition of horns was really cool, and I felt that they were pushing forward in a new direction. Even Owata sounded good. But of course then shit just totally collapsed in on itself and the output became unlistenable by 2009, post-J0mmy
20th Aniversary/Owata Chris Isaac are where things got shit.

Owata is the most milquetoast pile of shit Corg has ever written. He was intentionally trying to destroy Smashing Pumpkins and rebuild it into something relevant, but only succeeded in destroying the only thing of value he had left.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:17 AM   #75
Ram27
dumb

Owata Chris Isaac was really good. But that was also when Jimmy was talking shit about James and D'arcy...'they look like they can play their instruments'

Old 07-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #76
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Wata is really pretty.

I like Wata.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #77
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Wata is really pretty.

I like Wata.
unf

http://www.metal-archives.com/images...rtist.jpg?4820

Old 07-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #78
TuralyonW3
Immortal

we should play a pic posting game: "IS IT IHA OR WATA?"

Old 07-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #79
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Owata Chris Isaac was really good. But that was also when Jimmy was talking shit about James and D'arcy...'they look like they can play their instruments'
I've heard them called alternative or grunge, I always think of them as American Gothic

Old 07-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #80
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

While one can say that 2008 is when things started to go south beyond repair, the better moments show that they were improving as a live act still. I mean listen to this shit:

Old 07-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #81
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
While one can say that 2008 is when things started to go south beyond repair, the better moments show that they were improving as a live act still. I mean listen to this shit:

YUP. Has everyone also forgot As Rome Burns?

Dude also played at a Guitar Hero concert for VIPs and trolled the fuck outta everyone. It was classic Corgan. Had Jimmy and him gone into the studio, gotta feel like things would've went better.

Although, I will say, we should've seen the early signs of this with If All Goes Wrong. Corgan eating weird veggies in his bathroom was fucking weird.

2009 or so was where the wheels fell off, right around the end of the 20th Tour.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #82
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Dude also played at a Guitar Hero concert for VIPs and trolled the fuck outta everyone. It was classic Corgan.
never saw that, what did he do?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #83
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
never saw that, what did he do?
If i recall, which i may be wrong, they played at some best buy launch party thing for the game and the set list was no old pumpkins. The super heavy cover of sounds of silence and maybe the really long drawn out set the controls for the heart of the sun cover.

these execs all just kind of sat around looking at each other.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #84
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

i remember seeing this video the night of the Grand Rex show and being so excited that my favorite band was back. I probably watched this like 50 times.

Boy was I wrong