Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-07-2002, 02:14 PM   #1
palidor
Apocalyptic Poster

Question taping question....

i just started taping this past winter.. and i havent taped anything since march, so all the shows i have done were during the cold minnesota winter.

at all the shows i did i always crotched my gear in, and then i would have the MD and battery box in my inner coat pocket. that way i could just open my jacket up a little bit and peek down to check levels. worked nice, and all of the mic cords and what-not were concealed by my jacket as well.

i'm just getting back into the swing of things, and i'm gonna be taping next month.. and it's no longer winter, and i'll suffocate if i wear a coat now lol.

my question to you guys:
how do YOU conceal your gear? what do you wear? etc

thanks,

jason

Old 08-07-2002, 02:23 PM   #2
Brandont_h
Ownz

Well, the only thing I have taped so far was a free show with next to no security, so all i did was put my deck and everything in my book bag, walk in, clip the mics to my shirt, and look into the bookbag (which was sitting between my legs on the lawn) to see my levels. Not very helpful for a club environment where you'd be frisked and all, I guess. . .

-Brandon [Rookie DAT taper.]

------------------
I can't believe I actually just registered on netphoria. :/

-- Doctor Hunter S. Thompson: 1937-2005

Old 08-07-2002, 02:26 PM   #3
happy peter pan

Quote:
Originally posted by palidor:
i just started taping this past winter.. and i havent taped anything since march, so all the shows i have done were during the cold minnesota winter.

at all the shows i did i always crotched my gear in, and then i would have the MD and battery box in my inner coat pocket. that way i could just open my jacket up a little bit and peek down to check levels. worked nice, and all of the mic cords and what-not were concealed by my jacket as well.

i'm just getting back into the swing of things, and i'm gonna be taping next month.. and it's no longer winter, and i'll suffocate if i wear a coat now lol.

my question to you guys:

thanks,

jason
http://www.nerdvision.net/jason/wwfpics/vince7.jpg

Old 08-07-2002, 03:02 PM   #4
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
my question to you guys:
my hair hides my mics + my cables, but that's probably not an option for you.

Old 08-07-2002, 03:10 PM   #5
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

DSMs slide onto a pair of glasses, and then I route the wires down my back, inside my shirt, to my back right pocket, where I have the bass roll-off/powering module. Then, the wire from there goes to my front right pocket, where I have my M1. I just pull it out of my pocket and cover up the display as much as I can while I'm checking levels. I never have to worry about searches though. 90% of the shows I go to have less than 1000 people in the venue. If frisking is a possibility, there's always spandex shorts. After getting inside, go to a stall and hook everything up.

Old 08-07-2002, 03:11 PM   #6
Cannibal_Dezzy
Pledge

go into the bathroom..hook ur mics up to a necklace or ur shirt..run the cables under ur shirt into ur pocket along with ur md and whatever else..

<*}}><

Old 08-07-2002, 05:14 PM   #7
Halteh
deprivations of sleep

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannibal_Dezzy:
go into the bathroom..hook ur mics up to a necklace or ur shirt..run the cables under ur shirt into ur pocket along with ur md and whatever else..
The higher the better, imo the shirt or a necklace is still a little low. If there someone infront of you they will totally be shielding the sound. I use the hate idea and even then i slightly angle the hat upwards to catch the waves from above, this also helps void clappers and yellers. Of course everything i said wouldn't apply to you if you're 8 ft tall or if you were in the front row.

------------------
"i've collected alot more rare things from different artists in all genres then anyone around. I collect to collect, whether I like the artist or not" - Sacred Age Of Innocence
Fares Halteh - Halteh3 AT rogers DOT com L33+ Trading Page

Old 08-07-2002, 06:17 PM   #8
palidor
Apocalyptic Poster

i attach the mics to my glasses

Old 08-07-2002, 06:26 PM   #9
Rima
Demi-God

Question

Are there wires w/ the mics? Where do they go when attached to glasses?

------------------
The Ultimate Leona Naess Resource:
http://www.leonanaess.org

My Bootpage:
http://frail.org/rima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Official Site - Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The leonanaess.com Community Center - Administrator

Old 08-07-2002, 06:34 PM   #10
palidor
Apocalyptic Poster

home made croakies http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Old 08-07-2002, 06:34 PM   #11
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rima:

They go along the length of the glasses, behind your head and under your shirt. Because the wires come together around the collar area, it looks like you have a cord taped to your glasses so you don't loose them if they fall off.

Suck On This.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:45 PM   #12
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

Quote:
Originally posted by Rima:
DSMs look like this:

http://www.sonicstudios.com/audioad2.jpg

edit: Good god! The guy who designed that website must have epilepsy.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Fogelsong (edited 08-07-2002).]

Old 08-07-2002, 11:07 PM   #13
glued_on_wings
Ownz

Quote:
home made croakies http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif
That is what i use.. As for the DSM website, who ever designed it has no webdesign skills what so ever..

Rock On..

------------------
- I use music as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life... -
-We will miss you!! The Smashing Pumpkins (1988-2000) -

Sad Machines Audio Archive
Glued On Wings FTP
-We will miss you!! The Smashing Pumpkins (1988-2000) -

" target="_blank">Glued On Wings FTP

Old 08-07-2002, 11:27 PM   #14
2Scoops
Pledge

higher the better.

i don't like the glasses thing personally. sides i think ppl look funny w/ croakies, though some ppl do it well. i still think ppl can still see the wires w/o the croakies and it's too noticeable. i use a touque and a hoodie. full concealment except for the actual capsuls. put a hole in the back side of the pocket and that'll make for an easy connection to the recorder. once in you're home free.

summer is a different story. oh gawwd if i knew a better way i wouldn't have sweated like a pig at warped tour. hoodie, touque, and 2 pairs of shorts for the pat down, you get the picture.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:06 AM   #15
distance
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Scoops:
i don't like the glasses thing personally. sides i think ppl look funny w/ croakies, though some ppl do it well. i still think ppl can still see the wires w/o the croakies and it's too noticeable. i use a touque and a hoodie. full concealment except for the actual capsuls.
enter the long hair. the hair hides the wires. the hair hides the capsules. no need for glasses if you don't wear them.

no other real reason for growing out my hair, though andrew's the only person that's seen it.

Old 08-08-2002, 05:21 AM   #16
garysbootlegs
Oblivious Virgin

My Method

Either everything in denim jacket inside pockets or crotch it to get in.

Once in set up in toilet cubical.

Mics clipped to collar or shoulders. Mic wires running inside shirt to left jeans pocket to battery box, then wire from battery box running around my back then in to the my front right jeans pocket where the MD is. Thats for hot weather, everything is set up inside denim jacket pockets if its not boiling hot.

Last edited by garysbootlegs : 08-07-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Old 08-08-2002, 05:39 AM   #17
severin
no more than sympathy

i look like this when taping:
http://www.wiesen-fans.com/pics/fg02...fg2002_079.jpg
(don't laugh)
mics are on the glasses with a croakie-mount, cables go down the back into the left back-pocket to the battery box. from there the cable goes into the pockets of the hooded sweater (if it's cold enough), or into the left pocket to my md...

Old 08-08-2002, 11:52 AM   #18
Fish
Demi-God

I use my "emo" backpack to smuggle stuff into the venue and then I tend to mount my mics on it's strap. I don't think I could spend an entire concert with the mics on my head as I look around too much and would get scared about security being near me. My backpack has about a million difficult to find pockets inside bigger pockets so I split the gear between them so it's less obvious and bulky. I also tend to put a hooded top and a decoy item (such as a camera or bottle of water) in my bag. When they search it, I have it open wide and I root down to get the decoy item out and ask if it's ok (yes for camera, no for bottle) making sure they get a good look inisde. Nine times out of ten they don't bother to look in the bag or check the pockets and when they do they don't do it througholy. I then set the recording gear up on my bag straps and run the cables down my t-shirt and have my battery box in one pocket and the md in my other. If i'm balcony taping, I set up all the gear inside the bag, except the mics which I have underneath it and I stick it out over the balcony.