Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Unhappy ok i am FREAKING OUT. where do you guys download torrents

when kickasstorrents shut down i was like eh, i dunno why people get worked up about this, there are plenty of other sites.

but now torrentz, my powerful meta search engine, closed its gates and i'm a lost kid at the supermarket calling for mommy with bugger running down his nose

tehbolly's confessional rambling thread's future is depending on you

Old 08-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
Elphenor
Braindead

There's this cool site, you may have heard of it, I think it's called "stop stealing other people's hard work" idk

Old 08-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I use Pirate Bay but there is a lot of shit it doesn't have, especially if you are looking for something more obscure. I used to have an account with Waffles but my computer crashed years ago and fucked up my shit so it stopped seeding and wrecked my ratio and I got banned. They have such a comprehensive collection, it seemed impossible for me to ever up something that wasn't already there to fix it, so I gave up. Torrenting hasn't been the same since.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I go to FBI.gov

Old 08-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

is elph mad that ppl download stuff in 2016?

Old 08-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
slunken
Virgo

Seriously. Might as well get mad at people for buying used records.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Anybody old enough to member when record companies were mad bout reselling used records and tapes?

Good times

Old 08-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
slunken
Virgo

HOME TAPING IS KILLING THE MUSIC INDUSTRY

Old 08-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
slunken
Virgo

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-tour-20140619

Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Anybody old enough to member when record companies were mad bout reselling used records and tapes?

Good times
It's really out there to think about that today eh?

I mean, I still love collecting "physical" releases. But when I do it's always second hand or at a bands show... Or maybe one of those grocery store dump bins full of discount shitty CD's. I can't even remember the last time I walked into a store like HMV and bought a new album...

.... I think the 2 last times may have been when I had a 100 dollar gift card for HMV and I bought that SP Wooden box full of shitty songs that came with a tiny gift-shop nick-nack and that floral box with the bad-ass picture disk inside... As much as the music sucks, the picture disk makes for a great display piece... And tom-tom! may be the one redeeming aspect of that god-awful era.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
slunken
Virgo

Piracy will kill major labels before it kills indie record stores. I mostly got into vinyl when there were certain releases that could only be had on vinyl or cassette. Download codes used to not exist. The fetishization of the record/tape object has been established. The only ones who will suffer are those counting on Taylor Swift hitting platinum sales. Which is mostly established by stores like wal-mart or best buy pre-ordering crates of her album, no matter how many sell or not.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

can't log into napster. something wrong

Old 08-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

I would rather steal from the major distributor that sells tomatoes to a local store than I would the local store, because the major distributor makes their money no matter what. To hell with the local store that relies on this sort of slavery. I'll buy all my real art directly from the artist.

Vote Trump. Burn it down.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #14
Elphenor
Braindead

I was joking, I pirate, we all pirate

but

I do not think being able to download music for free on the internet has not hurt indie music. In fact, I think it hurt indie musicians more than major labels because the people who buy major label music are still using itunes and buying CD's

It's the underground artists that were making just enough to eat that have taken the blow

The type of people who are into underground music are the ones savvy enough to never pay for it. So I think you get musicians who could be making the greatest music we've ever heard but they end up having to work a 9-5 because there doesn't exist indie labels making enough money to be patrons to the art

I like the middle ground between labels and the DIY punk utopia, see: Factory Records

Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
slunken
Virgo

Music is really the only "art-form" that is backed with millions and millions of dollars. Every other 'artist' has to get an agent and slug it out on a solo gig-by-gig basis.

Not to mention indie artists who do it all themselves.

And by artists I'm talking about illustrators, designers, musicians, etc.

Signed bands are products, like toothpaste and underwear.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #16
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I was joking, I pirate, we all pirate

but

I do not think being able to download music for free on the internet has not hurt indie music. In fact, I think it hurt indie musicians more than major labels because the people who buy major label music are still using itunes and buying CD's

It's the underground artists that were making just enough to eat that have taken the blow

The type of people who are into underground music are the ones savvy enough to never pay for it. So I think you get musicians who could be making the greatest music we've ever heard but they end up having to work a 9-5 because there doesn't exist indie labels making enough money to be patrons to the art
It's all about the touring bro.

If you're a good indie-artist and your music is being downloaded like wild-fire on the internet then you're gonna be doing a lot better off than if you only allowed people to by the music...

Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #17
Elphenor
Braindead

There was enough money being made to where Happy Mondays could do drugs and play music all day and yet there were no limitations being set by the record label

This can never last but whenever you get situations like that you get strings of excellent bands getting their music put out

So much of classic punk and post punk is not actually self-released stuff, it's just released on these glorious types of small labels that eventually would go bankrupt but wouldn't care

Old 08-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

That's true... Ultimately no one paying for music hurts musicians... That's obvious.

Man, back in Canada in the 70's/80's/90's you could be some good local band, get picked up and make a shitty video and the Music stations would play it all of the time because it's a law in Canada that any Music Video/Radio station has to play at least 35% Canadian artists... So if you tore up your local scene there was a good chance you'd be given a contract and have a shot with the Canadian marketing machine... Which essentially meant you'd live like a rock-star and still probably make a few hundred thousand dollars a year... Which was also great for bands cause it acted as a launching pad... Our Lady Piece, Barenaked Ladies ETC

Old 08-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #19
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
It's all about the touring bro.

If you're a good indie-artist and your music is being downloaded like wild-fire on the internet then you're gonna be doing a lot better off than if you only allowed people to by the music...
Problem is you might be like this modern post punk band LogikParty that I thought was excellent but only just got started before they simply ran out of the funds to keep it up

They had a pay what you want model and we're talking about a niche genre, there's just zero money to be made in what they do and I hate to say it but some sort of patronage is necessary.

I'm not saying I want musicians to be rolling in it, but they oughta make enough to self sustain

Old 08-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #20
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, it's really impossible nowadays man.

I was in a band from about 2004-2008 and we started off winning every competition and we'd start getting bigger club shows but it would be on like a Tuesday or something and a lot of the supporters were underage... And we'd still manage to do really good, but you end up going around in stagnation circles.... It's like you reach a plateau and theres no where else to go because the industries dead a stiff for days horse.

2 of the dudes from my band ended up starting a new band when this band broke up and they're doing way better than we ever did, playing all the prestigious clubs and they're still not making a cent.. Even with the big following... Sure, they might earn some pocket money, but when you factor in gas money, taking the time off from work ETC... It really comes down to just being a passion project.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #21
fuzzyroes
Banned

So in other words: Elph: if you're planning on making some decent money with a band... Just throw in the towel now... It aint gonna happen anymore.

Your best bet at this time would be to go all house/techno if you ever wanna have some kickback.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #22
Elphenor
Braindead

In some ways I'm okay with music being a passion project for everyone to participate in

In another way I think about if Hex Education didn't make Marky any money he would have had to quit right then and there and join his father in plumbing

Hex Education was funded by this small, no one ever heard of them, metal label in Iceland

Old 08-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #23
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Does anyone pick up a guitar (or whatever) today and think "man, I'm gonna make a living this way!" For me, if the result is producing something that most people expect should cost $0, it's gotta be a hobby or nothing. Maybe once we return to pre-industrial style civilization musicians will get their due once more

Old 08-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

Well, the idea is that if you're really gonna focus your time and mind to music that you can't be bogged down working all of the goddamned time at some shit job just to make ends meat...

Before, you could suffer for years cause there would at least be the end-game possibility of some label giving you a chance.

Now even in a small market like Canada there's just a few of the major label sell outs getting pumped and that's it...

It's sad, cause the truly great artists will be fallen by the wayside left and right like nobodies business and that affects all of the genuine music listeners out there.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #25
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
So in other words: Elph: if you're planning on making some decent money with a band... Just throw in the towel now... It aint gonna happen anymore.

Your best bet at this time would be to go all house/techno if you ever wanna have some kickback.
this isn't about me, the act of playing music with other people at all is enough for me

Old 08-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #26
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
this isn't about me, the act of playing music with other people at all is enough for me
Yeah man, I hear yeah. I still love it as much as ever. But there's more of a drive and energy when you're young and dream of taking the world by storm and having a lot of people hear the stuff that you pour your heart into.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #27
fuzzyroes
Banned

I mean, can you even fathom a guy like Billy Corgan making it anywhere in this day and age?

I laugh my ass off just thinking about it. He'd go nowhere today.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #28
fuzzyroes
Banned

People have this positive idea that the true great songwriters will always prevail, but it just isn't true anymore. It's a sad reality.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #29
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Music is really the only "art-form" that is backed with millions and millions of dollars. Every other 'artist' has to get an agent and slug it out on a solo gig-by-gig basis.

Not to mention indie artists who do it all themselves.

And by artists I'm talking about illustrators, designers, musicians, etc.

Signed bands are products, like toothpaste and underwear.
I don't want millions of dollars to be made just enough to pay band members minimum wage so more people can do it

writers have publishers

I don't know anything about visual arts so idk how illustrators or designers even work

Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #30
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
People have this positive idea that the true great songwriters will always prevail, but it just isn't true anymore. It's a sad reality.
I don't think this was ever even necessarily true though let's not get nostalgic

A whole lot of right place at the right time and marketing ploys were necessary to make bands big