Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #121
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post
also, how is he going to notify everyone that the song is released if he doesn't ask for emails?
the current fanbase will know from sites like this and the official site and the rest will know from other media outlets who always enjoy writing about free ventures such as these by well known bands.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #122
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post
also, how is he going to notify everyone that the song is released if he doesn't ask for emails?
srsly?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #123
Caine Walker
Braindead

srsly.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #124
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah i'm fucking serious

i'm not talking about us. i mean there are a lot of smashing pumpkins fans that don't read these sites. i guess if you become interested you will keep up with it. i guess he'll jsut leave each song up and never take it down?

still 44 single downloads is a bit tedious. don't get me wrong, i'm excited, but still i think 4 at a time would be better and easier for people to keep up with

Old 09-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #125
Trotskilicious
Banned

that's silly. there are not a lot of SP fans.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #126
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyshambles View Post
you're REALLY an idiot.
what's so hard to understand about this concept? how big an IDIOT are YOU?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #127
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

it sounds like you see downloading these songs as more of a duty than something you do for pleasure wound

Old 09-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #128
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
what's so hard to understand about this concept? how big an IDIOT are YOU?
i'mma let you finish but mickeyshambles is one of the biggest trolls of ALL TIME

Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #129
Shallowed
Braindead

Well, I like The Trip.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #130
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
that's silly. there are not a lot of SP fans.
touche

Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #131
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious
i' let you finish but mickeyshambles is one of the biggest trolls of
fully aware i'm just in the mood to play his game.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #132
Caine Walker
Braindead

his game sucks.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #133
Trotskilicious
Banned

it really does you can be trolled by far better trolls

Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #134
paranoid
Minion of Satan

yeah ok i'll just continue my streak of ignoring his lame ass.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #135
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta of Muppet View Post
Well, I like The Trip.
you would, fool.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #136
OwenWilsonsNose
Demi-God

44 songs for free, and some of you still have to find something to bitch about. What a bunch of miserable fucks. Kill yourselves if you cant find anything to be happy about.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #137
slunken
Virgo

what's this "some of you" garbage? stop generalizing and be a real man

Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #138
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

by generalizing even more and saying that all of use are garbage?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #139
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
if he were REALLY committed to giving away this record for free, he'd give out the 11 hard copy EPs and final box set away for free of charge as well. If I were to buy all of these editions, I'd end up spending more money on this 'free' album than I have on any other smashing pumpkins record.

You're mad that you may want the several editions that may accompany the free download and would have to pay for them. That seems a tad unreasonable.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #140
paranoid
Minion of Satan

no i'm not mad, i'm just saying the record is really not free like he is promoting it. he said several times what was for sale.

sure you can download song files for free but hell if he had done this through warner bros someone was bound to throw it up on mediashare and a load of people were getting it for free anyway. it's as free as any other piece of downloadable music that you can also buy a physical copy of if you wanted a physical copy. nothing groundbreaking.

by selling the 11 eps and a full fledge box set of this, he's finding a way to take the same product and sell it to the fans. he stands to make a good amount of cash on this if the project proves successful. so any notion of him giving his music away completely for free is wrong.. he's just found a smarter more updated way to market this project.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #141
slunken
Virgo

but if the record is not released on "warner bros" at least sp can control the downloads and its quality by offering it for free. take machina II for instance, there are a finite # of versions of that, based on who ripped it.

there are always going to be people who don't care about physical media, as there will always be people who do care about physical media. IMO this is a way to placate both those crowds. at least the leechers don't have to feel like criminals. if they're satisfied with lo-quality mp3's then good for them. they get what they want. if you want real packaging and what-not, then you too get what you want.

it all depends on what kind of fan you are. if anything, bitching about what's free and not free just comes down to paying a record label.

i for one will be interested to see if this is physically released under any sort of label or parent-company.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #142
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
no i'm not mad, i'm just saying the record is really not free like he is promoting it. he said several times what was for sale.

sure you can download song files for free but hell if he had done this through warner bros someone was bound to throw it up on mediashare and a load of people were getting it for free anyway. it's as free as any other piece of downloadable music that you can also buy a physical copy of if you wanted a physical copy. nothing groundbreaking.

by selling the 11 eps and a full fledge box set of this, he's finding a way to take the same product and sell it to the fans. he stands to make a good amount of cash on this if the project proves successful. so any notion of him giving his music away completely for free is wrong.. he's just found a smarter more updated way to market this project.
what would be some acceptable ways for Billy Corgan to make a living, in your opinion?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #143
slunken
Virgo

studio musician/song writer for c. love

Old 09-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #144
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

she didn't ask you

Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #145
slunken
Virgo

i'm trying to hang out

Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #146
paranoid
Minion of Satan

do you really think the leechers ever felt like criminals? recorded music is for free nowadays.. that's just how it is.

to call this record 'free' has me scratching my head. he gets to say its free but he knows well enough that a significantly large crowd were going to get it for free anyway, without jumping through hoops. yeah, he as the artist is giving it away for free, but he is also selling it.

he's basically doing what radiohead and nin have been doing for a couple years, amongst a bunch of other bands. the only thing different about this is the gradual release method, which is neat, but again at the end of the day it's all going to come down to the music and if that stands alone.

in rainbows was a new release method, which also worked as a great marketing tactic. they made a lot of money off of it, selling the box sets, the 'tip' style download model and then the official xl label release. and at the end of the day, the music was also worth all the hub bub. bill's gotta make sure he's able to carry the quality of the music over the whole release method at the end of the day.

and im not bitching about what's free and what's not free. but for some fans to say this is groundbreaking because he's giving an entire album away for free is really missing the fact that he's also going to sell it, and a lot of those same fans who think he's doing something groundbreaking will be paying a lot of money to get the whole shebang (11 eps, box set, digital singles w/ demos).

Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #147
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
what would be some acceptable ways for Billy Corgan to make a living, in your opinion?
what he's doing with this is fine, and honest. but some of the fans need to stop thinking this is totally ground breaking because it's 'free.' it's as free as any of his other records. according to slunken you wont feel as guilty for getting this one for free.. but who can honestly say they feel guilty when they download an album without paying for it?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #148
slunken
Virgo

i totally agree with you, but you are failing to recognize the the relationship between SP-Warner Bros-Us. Yes, he is selling it, and giving it away for free. With Zeitgeist, he wasn't selling it. "Warner" was. He just made it and you got it for free. Hell, I had a downloaded version until I found the color-coded one I want in a used bin.

If anything, he's not doing this for us. He's smartened up and is doing it for him, because this is the smart way to sell records. Sure, you may not be able to pick it up at Best Buy or Wal-Mart, but if you really care, you'll find it and get it.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #149
slunken
Virgo

oh, i see - i was joking about the "feeling guilty" thing. although i'm sure there are some folks out there that take "illegal downloading" and "don't do drugs" warnings very seriously. They pray about it after downloading the new Avril record.

also be warned: I am blindly speculating.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #150
slunken
Virgo

thanks dude. this is my cue to go to bed.