Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2020, 02:12 AM   #1
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Default Reevaluating Oceania

I have to say that I find myself starting to really like it. I always really liked Panopticon and Pinwheels. Thought Pale Horse was good too. Lately, I've been getting into the Chimera and especially Inkless, which I think could definitely be a SP1 track.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:20 AM   #2
Ram27
dumb

i've always loved pinwheels

panopticon would fucking rip live with jim. feel bad for mike. it has that great pumpkins vibe of having heavy rock riffs in the same song as happy dreamy choruses

Old 09-22-2020, 02:32 AM   #3
Ram27
dumb

i'm listening thru with an open heart towards the drumming and the record is really quite good. it improves on what was wrong with ZG [drums aside of course]

corgan's strategy is to make each record worse and worse so that we appreciate the 5 year old record that doesn't seem as bad now knowing the shit that will come.

2025 he'll put out a mumble rap record and we'll beg for synthpop

Old 09-22-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I feel like "Quasar" is supposed to sound like this bombastic and hard-hitting rawk song in the vein of "Cherub Rock" or "Frail," but it just sounds anemic and dad-rockish. People say Zeitgeist lacked vitality, but at least the rock songs still sounded like rock songs then, even if the vocals sucked.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:36 AM   #5
Disco King
Minion of Satan

"One 💎 One ♥️ " is literally adult contemporary. The fuck is this Sarah McLachlan and Enrique Iglesias shit, get it off my stereo

Old 09-22-2020, 02:39 AM   #6
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Would have been funnier if I said, "the fuck is this Michael Buble shit," but it's too late for that, you're already reading the thread.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:41 AM   #7
Disco King
Minion of Satan

*Spins Mellon Collie"

I like the "rat in a cage" one, but the fuck is this Elton John shit?

Old 09-22-2020, 02:49 AM   #8
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i'm listening thru with an open heart towards the drumming and the record is really quite good. it improves on what was wrong with ZG [drums aside of course]

corgan's strategy is to make each record worse and worse so that we appreciate the 5 year old record that doesn't seem as bad now knowing the shit that will come.

2025 he'll put out a mumble rap record and we'll beg for synthpop
Trust me, when Cyr dropped I was disappointed, I was really hoping James returning would at least for a time give way to a more foundational SP, but it looks like that's not happening. I never listened to Oceania or Monuments a ton because of how Billy was trashing James and Darcy back then. I'm pretty much cool with Billy putting out whatever music he wants, its always been how he talked about James and Darcy that turned me off from the new records. Now that some time has passed since both Oceania and Monuments were released, I do find myself enjoying those records and feel like I better understand what he was going for with them.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:51 AM   #9
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I feel like "Quasar" is supposed to sound like this bombastic and hard-hitting rawk song in the vein of "Cherub Rock" or "Frail," but it just sounds anemic and dad-rockish. People say Zeitgeist lacked vitality, but at least the rock songs still sounded like rock songs then, even if the vocals sucked.
the riff is pretty jellybellyish. i totally agree, i think that's like 90% a drums thing [and a non-zero part of that is us going in knowing it's some mcdonalds kid and not that other guy]

Old 09-22-2020, 02:55 AM   #10
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Trust me, when Cyr dropped I was disappointed, I was really hoping James returning would at least for a time give way to a more foundational SP, but it looks like that's not happening. I never listened to Oceania or Monuments a ton because of how Billy was trashing James and Darcy back then. I'm pretty much cool with Billy putting out whatever music he wants, its always been how he talked about James and Darcy that turned me off from the new records. Now that some time has passed since both Oceania and Monuments were released, I do find myself enjoying those records and feel like I better understand what he was going for with them.
one and all was stuck in my head today. it fucking rocks, especially with jimmy

feel this is appropriate to repost given the theme of this thread:

~

so they've never done an OC track with jimmy, right? he can cover Tommy Lee's parts but not Mike's? I guess it wouldn't be....is fair the word?

Old 09-22-2020, 02:59 AM   #11
Ram27
dumb

okay what the fuck is happening; i just listened to the studio version and it fucking rocks, perhaps even more than that version

what the fuck were we complaining about

Old 09-22-2020, 02:59 AM   #12
Ram27
dumb

hold me

Old 09-22-2020, 03:00 AM   #13
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Yeah, it would be cool to hear what both Jimmy and James could contribute to the Oceania songs

Old 09-22-2020, 03:20 AM   #14
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The two opening tracks are decent as well as Pale Horse and Inkless. The rest falls flat for me. Cheesy keyboards and proggy arrangements. A lot of it sounds like Christian rock. My Love is Winter is a weaker That’s the Way.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:32 AM   #15
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thumbs down

I lot of you are throwing around "Christian Rock" like it's a bad thing. Have you heard DC Talk?

Old 09-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #16
Shallowed
Braindead

You guys will reevaluate anything.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #17
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I enjoyed it at the time but NO MORE.

Production (esp the horrible Def Leppard style drum sound) is lame, arrangements are too busy it's like everyones overplaying and competing instead of playing together, overall vibe is too polite/nice/christian/canadian.

As the great, great Disco King said Quasar is a rockin riff but just doesn't do it. I think because the sound is so flat and the drums are so compressed. The snare is always PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH like someone playing Street fighter 2 on the megadrive. There's never any emphasis or dynamics.

There's a lot to like about it. The songs are good. Chimera is fun to play in Rocksmith.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #18
vajohna
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
You guys will reevaluate anything.
That’s what people do with art.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #19
Shallowed
Braindead

People do all sorts of strange things

Old 09-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #20
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

People are very strange these days.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #21
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Yeah i even saw a video the other day where this family eats poo poo and pee pee together

Old 09-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #22
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

so they ate the poo and then peed together?

or they ate the poo and drank the pee, together.

pls asplain thank u

Old 09-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #23
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

There's something about the Teargarden production that puts me off. It's strangely clinical sounding.

The artwork is a underwhelming too. A tower with a blue gradient? Okay. I think Billy should have spent more time creating a cohesive vibe to tie everything together. Better promo shots that conveyed each member's personality wouldn't have gone astray either.

But no doubt the whole thing was created with "competing on the modern charts" in mind.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #24
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Only worthy tracks on Teargarden were Astral Planes and The Fellowship

As for Oceania, Quasar, Panopticon, and Inkless (Original)

Monuments... Tiberius and Monuments

I made my own Best of SP2.0 playlist, and even with just my favorite tracks, it's hard to make it through it without turning something else on.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #25
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
There's something about the Teargarden production that puts me off. It's strangely clinical sounding.
Even stranger considering it was mixed by David Botrill, who did Lateralus, and Diorama and Young Modern by Silverchair.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #26
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Only worthy tracks on Teargarden were Astral Planes and The Fellowship
Wrong, Tom Tom and A Stitch in Time were the best songs on Teargarden.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #27
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Oceania is a weird sound for the Pumpkins.. it's an album that if James, Jimmy, and D'arcy were there it's probably the closest SPx sounding album to the original and real SP we've gotten in the last 15 years. I always lived Pinwheels, Pale Horse, and another one.. forgot the name of the track.. haven't listened in at least 2 years

f you took the best tracks from Zeitgeist (including Gossamer) and the best tracks from Oceania and put them together with the production being the same.. it would actually be the first decent Pumpkins album we've gotten in 20 years.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #28
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

love is winter & the 3 right before the closer are probably my favorites from this. i never listen to the album in full but occasionally revisit at least one or two of those; musically it's a great little revisitation of the MBV & Big Muff-worshipping days of old, even if the vocals & lyrics (much like they are on most of the album) are pretty flat & meaningless to me

Old 09-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #29
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

"Inkless" would be one of the few songs that exactly pins what I expected Smashing Pumpkins to sound like when Billy brought back the name. Great song.

"Quasar" remains my least favorite Smashing Pumpkins song by a substantial margin. Stuff like "Widow Wake My Mind" or "Astral Planes" sucked, but at least I could understand the vibe Corgan wanted (Nuggets era garage rock), but "Quasar" just fails on every conceivable level. Even Mike's parts, which are actually pretty good, are mixed/recorded to sound like something out of a Super Nintendo game.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #30
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Violet Rays is great, probably my favourite.
The Celestials would be great, i like how Mike plays the first half of the song but I wish he was able to bring it to another level, ie I of The mourning.

+ Inkless original mix is amazing, unfortunately they removed it from YouTube