teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

>>
HOT TAKE !
>>

Old 05-15-2018, 03:24 AM   #4112
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i love the old 80's eddie murphy movies. they're genuinely entertaining and great. Trading Places, Coming To America.

when you watch young eddie it really dawns on you what a staggering fall from grace he's had since then. i would much rather recreationally pinprick my nutsack than watch anything post Nutty Professor from him, and even that is being kinda generous tbh.

what did the family think about it vix?

Old 05-15-2018, 03:27 AM   #4113
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Fuck you haters. Eddie Murphy has no scandals!
btw. sorry about this, but -

he did knock up that Spice Girl and entirely disowned his daughter from her. a quick google shows alleged "not interested" and "doesn't care" quotes from murphy.

i don't know about "scandal" but that's a pretty shitty testament of character.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:44 AM   #4114
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Oh yeah, good grief. He did, too. I forgot about that. I don't truly believe Eddie Murphy has no scandals...I think I'm just working on that as a new catch phrase. At this point I run with the assumption that anyone whose work I enjoy, is probably a total sack of shit in their private life.

Which is basically what I am, so I mean, I don't know why it continues to sadden me.

I read an article just now about how Eddie Murphy is completely done because he doesn't risk anything anymore, and just plays it safe because he's a boring rich man just doing a job. And that all sounds pretty true. I hadn't considered how much of a fall he's taken because I realise now, I actually treat Eddie Murphy of right now, as a completely separate identity to Eddie Murphy of the 1980s.

The last movie I liked him in was Bowfinger and I know I'll get shit for saying that but with all that movie has going for it, even though it fails to live up to even the smallest expectations, it is still sublime to me. Terrible in the best way. I need to watch it again, actually. And don't give me any shit about Steve Martin either. Steve Martin has no scandals.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:15 AM   #4115
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Meant to say, my family enjoyed it.

Scene with the biggest impact was probably the strip bar. I had forgotten it was in there...

Old 05-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #4116
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

man, you made me wanna watch vintage murphy.

i think i'm gonna put on 'Cop or Coming To America tonight and go full fuzzrodd.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #4117
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
And don't give me any shit about Steve Martin either. Steve Martin has no scandals.
Well, there was that time he referred to Carrie Fisher as beautiful and Twitter called for his head.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #4118
fuzzyroes
Banned

hahaha I can't believe that actually happened.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:56 AM   #4119
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Well, there was that time he referred to Carrie Fisher as beautiful and Twitter called for his head.
Wow, I had no idea about this. I must live under a rock. She really was so beautiful though. And witty and clever. It seems a fair call, though I can understand why it triggered people. He sort of presented the witty and clever thing almost as if that was secondary to her looking good....but kinda feel like he did it at his own expense...like as a young man he noticed her for her looks, and then found out she was so much more than that, and that was to his own embarrassment.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #4120
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea about this. I must live under a rock. She really was so beautiful though. And witty and clever. It seems a fair call, though I can understand why it triggered people. He sort of presented the witty and clever thing almost as if that was secondary to her looking good....but kinda feel like he did it at his own expense...like as a young man he noticed her for her looks, and then found out she was so much more than that, and that was to his own embarrassment.
Right, and because we lack critical thinking skills in 2018 (2017 too), people needlessly heaped on him for no good reason.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #4121
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i have three days left of unlimited uncensored wifi. what are your guyses must see films?

Old 05-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #4122
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Eat My Dad

Eat My Step-Dad’s Butt

Dream Daddies 9

Forefathers and Aft

Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #4123
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
i have three days left of unlimited uncensored wifi. what are your guyses must see films?
Lifeforce. Naked lady space vampire. Patrick Stewart's melting head. Do it now.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #4124
vixnix
Socialphobic

shadow of the vampire

Old 05-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #4125
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
I suppose not overall but from recent years?

Hm, my guesses of what you will enjoy (and find online):

The Other Side of Hope - Aki Kaurismäki
A pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence - Roy Andersson
The Lobster - Giorgos Lanthimos

And in general, if you haven't seen it already:
No Man's Land (Ničija zemlja ?) - Danis Tanović

Old 05-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #4126
FoolofaTook

Quote:
shadow of the vampire
awesome movie i have already seen.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #4127
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I was pleasantly surprised by SOLO: A Star Wars Situation, probably because I went in with pretty low expectations. The script is a mess, the pacing is kinda off, and some of the dialogue is meagre, but it does a pretty good job of being fun to watch, and it's definitely way less of a slog than Rogue One (which i didn't mind at the time but have soured on) which is what you want out of a low-stakes outing like this.

Alden Erenreich was fine, as were Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke. Glover was great, heaps of fun to watch, but Paul Bettany stole the show despite not having as much screen time as the others. The fanservice was better textured and a bit less on-the-nose (most of the time), and the score might have been the best of the Disney SW films - John Powell has gotten closer to the spirit of OT John Williams than even Williams has lately.

If you want to look at some cool space shit and don't really need to care about the characters or the story, you could do a lot worse. I was definitely expecting a lot worse. Weak 7.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #4128
FoolofaTook

i watched the pigeon sat on the branch and reflected movie. cool. thanks pt.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #4129
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Took-specific recommendations:
- A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence
Up your ass, Took, you complete bastard.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #4130
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Solo - B

fun

Old 05-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #4131
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Up your ass, Took, you complete bastard.
I am slow, sorry.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #4132
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Star Trek Beyond - 7/10

Perfect Saturday afternoon/on the couch entertainment. Minimal plot, excellent sfx/visuals.

Black Panther - 7/10

One of the more solid Marvel entries but didn't quite live up to the hype for me.

Running Scared - 7/10

Paul Walker acts for the first time and Vera Farmiga shows bush and kicks child molester ass. My kinda movie.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:31 AM   #4133
FoolofaTook

Lifeforce F-

Godfuckdamn wtf is this shit floming glabes? Waste of 45 minutes (that's how long I lasted).

Old 05-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #4134
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

LOL

Old 05-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #4135
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

That's how long your father

Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #4136
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Altered States - 8/10

Good, old-school Cronenbergian body horror that didn't make a lick of sense. Recommended to Took.

The Love Witch - 8/10

Atmosphere, cinematography and acting was all pitch perfect. But it shouldn't have been two hours long. Cut this thing down to 90 minutes and you've got a 10/10.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:11 AM   #4137
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

guess I'll watch the first hour and a half then!

Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #4138
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Pitch Perfect - 4/5
Aca-fun

Pitch Perfect 2 - 3/5
More of the same but boring-er

Pitch Perfect 3 - 2/5
Ugh

Raw - 5/5
Made me hungry

The Blackcoat's Daughter - 4/5
Tense and interesting throughout, I saw the main twist coming but the journey getting there was very good.

I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 2/5
I am the bored person that watched this movie

Wish Upon - 1/5
One of the most inept, unintentionally funny horror films in recent memory (a strong recommendation if you like watching bad films on purpose)

Bye Bye Man - 1/5
One of the most inept, unintentionally funny horror films in recent memory (a strong recommendation if you like watching bad films on purpose)

Singular Cay - 1/5
I actually never saw anything like this, I'd give it a higher rating but it's really bad. But also incredible!

Shrooms - 2/5
Called the ending about 20 minutes into the film. This is a real dumb movie

Quick aside:
the only reason we watched both singular cay and shrooms is because their posters look weirdly similar

Red Sparrow - 1/5
So... russian spy school is basically just people getting naked all the time (sometimes at the request of the teacher), and raping/getting raped?

Atomic Blonde - 3/5
Fun little movie, don't recommend watching it together with red sparrow the plotlines get super confusing. There's a long take shot action sequence that basically make the movie.

Miami Connection - 1/5
A band of tae kwon do fighters gets into a dispute over which band gets to play at the bar with the local ninjas and drug dealers and things go awesome.

Bloodlock - 1/5
Incredibly bad and boring film. It's charming in how low budget it is, but that's it.

The Exorcist 2 - 1/5
Wtf is this movie. One of the biggest drops in quality in a single series I ever seen, coming from a great movie to a incredibly shitty one. There's probably a reason I only heard of this film existing in 2018

Tomb Raider - 3/5
Some decent action, Alicia Vikander is great in this (and has some muscles for a change), like the newer games they successfully turn Lara Croft from a pair of adventuring boobs into a fully fleshed out character, I would've looooved this film as a kid.
As an adult it's a pretty rote action adventure.

Pacific Rim 2: Uprising - 2/5
Hollywood's attempt to TRANSFORM that old movie into a blockbuster franchise is pathetic.

Mystics in Bali - 3/5
I can't in good conscience give this movie a higher score because of how bad a lot of it is. But it broke my mind either way. What a fucking weird movie, strong recommendation

Dangerous Men - 1/5
It apparently took 30 years to make, the movie changes main characters 3 times during the movie, has no actual structure or makes much sense, but what a journey

Solo - 2/5
Like Rogue One, a very inessential and mostly boring story. These spin off movies are still the worst idea ever and fail to justify themselves. The character cameo near the end made me roll my eyes so hard I think I lost them in the theater

Old 06-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #4139
myosis
Minion of Satan

The Last Jedi: C-

i'm not a star wars fan. i do like star wars. after 20 minutes i was like "wtf the writing is horrible".

let's do away with all the star wars tropes. ok fine if you think that's avant-garde. but you simply adopted all the horrible modern action movie tropes aimed at kids, including bad comedy. i don't watch marvel movies for a reason.
i feel bad for these actors, especially mark hamill.

not wasting my time with Solo now.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #4140
FoolofaTook

Excalibur F-

Flaming Globes you are the worst. This movie sucks Cthulhic dong.

Solaris A. Clooney delivers.

Pom Poko A. Super weird Studio Ghibli film. The racoons had massive balls. For real.