FoolofaTook 13 76.47%
Fuzzyroes 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #451
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
dino jr has so many albums that some are pretty soft though. not shoegaze noise soft but not hard rock like head bang-y
One of my all time favorite DJ tracks

Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #452
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Mascis really is a fantastic guitarist. I haven't seen him live though. Billy definitely excels in mixing and layering, etc. At least he did during the good albums. Dino Jr has more good albums, too, imo. But the good Pumpkins albums are better than the good Dino Jr albums.
Oh man, you should definitely change that. Guy absolutely rips it live... You might leave with your ears ringing for a few hours though lol.

It is hard to compare though. I threw on the Gish CD in my bedroom as I was reading a book yesterday. It had to have been the first time I listened to it in some time, and I forgot how epic some of that shit is. It's hard to fathom that the guy who put out Oh-Jee-La-La is the same guy who penned Bury Me... And that has nothing to do with the stylistic differences, but just the quality in the writing.

Billy Corgan really should have retired after Adore... It's a shame how much he's tarnished his legacy with so much complete and utter crap.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #453
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Exclamation

Today 05:56 PM
Elphenor
I dont understand the Dino Jr. "indie cred" when they play music that's shoegaze integrated into arena rock just like pumpkins

Today 06:02 PM
Elphenor

lots of fuzz

lots of pedals

Today 06:10 PM
Elphenor

it's just too hard rock for me

Today 06:20 PM
Elphenor

you established that they are indeed not a shoegaze band

I didn't argue that they were

my my, you just want it all the ways, don't you??

Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #454
fuzzyroes
Banned

Lol, Elph impresses me with his music knowledge... But Dinosar Jr shoegaze?!

They're not even in the slightest.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #455
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Oh man, you should definitely change that. Guy absolutely rips it live... You might leave with your ears ringing for a few hours though lol.

It is hard to compare though. I threw on the Gish CD in my bedroom as I was reading a book yesterday. It had to have been the first time I listened to it in some time, and I forgot how epic some of that shit is. It's hard to fathom that the guy who put out Oh-Jee-La-La is the same guy who penned Bury Me... And that has nothing to do with the stylistic differences, but just the quality in the writing.

Billy Corgan really should have retired after Adore... It's a shame how much he's tarnished his legacy with complete and utter crap.
I'd love to see them play but as I've bemoaned before they tend to only play at big festivals which I'm not paying for to see one band I like. And I agree with you about Gish and esp. Bury Me.....only thing I disagree with is that he should have retired after Machina and not released Adore, except for For Martha as a solo track.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #456
fuzzyroes
Banned

Machina is okay and all, But the downward spiral is clear at that point. It was in full affect on Adore too, but Machina really helped stop any debate as to the decline in material. I know a bunch of us like Machina, but there's really no classic level material on it. Even the "good" songs are quite a fall off from the energy and quality that we were used to .

Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #457
ilikeplanets
Braindead

that is true, i just like its vibe on the soft tracks. the "rock" tracks are grating af, save for dross

Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #458
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I can't pick a single favorite Dino Jr track but I Don't Think on Hand It Over never disappoints me, especially then leading into Never Bought It. Amazing flow. <3

Old 01-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #459
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

J Mascis is the laid back wizard of indie!

WIZARD I tells ya!

Old 01-04-2018, 11:21 PM   #460
ilikeplanets
Braindead

that mv of him continuously falling down on skateboards is pretty sad/funny tbh

Old 01-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #461
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
yeah, I didn't think of it that way. If you consider their entire career Mascis wins hands down.
I see what you are saying but J Mascis has never and will never write songs at the level of Tonight, Tonight or Mayonaise or Hummer. He does not have the ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I dont understand the Dino Jr. "indie cred" when they play music that's shoegaze integrated into arena rock just like pumpkins
arena rock and shoegaze? really?

Quote:
Bullshit... Complete and utter bullshit.

The last time Billy could compare to Mascis on the axe was during Gish and a bit on Siamese Dream... You know, during the days when Billy still had a passion. Churning out passionate guitar work takes soul, and Corgan hasn't displayed that he's "still got it" in ages. The fact that Billy can simply replicate his old parts in a live setting doesn't mean that he's still a good guitar player.... But really, any opinion is nothing but hearsay, the proof is in the released work... And Billys guitar skills have dried up longgggggggggggg ago.
1. you don't know what hearsay means
2. you are wrong. You may prefer Mascis, but as a guitarist yourself, you should be able to listen to the complexity and variance of what Mascis does in a solo vs. what Bill does in a solo, and even on a bad day, Bill is a far superior player. J Mascis plays a great guitar and I'm not knocking him for it, but all he does is major and pentatonic scales. He can bring serious intensity which is awesome, but from a technical standpoint, Billy Corgan is a much superior musician. It's not even close. And lead guitar aside, Billy also plays a variety of different styles whereas all Dino Jr. songs are essentially cut from the same cloth and dyed different colors.

Quote:
You're certainly right! They are definitely one of the innovators of grunge... Probably more so than The Pixies in a lot of ways.... I don't think you'd ever have a Pearl Jam without a Dinosaur Jr... For better or worse.
they weren't a big influence on any of the grunge bands afaik. they also weren't the first band to play country style music with old man type vocals and crazy guitar solos. they borrowed a lot from neil young which I think is what you are describing

Quote:
Mascis really is a fantastic guitarist. I haven't seen him live though. Billy definitely excels in mixing and layering, etc. At least he did during the good albums. Dino Jr has more good albums, too, imo. But the good Pumpkins albums are better than the good Dino Jr albums.
right, exactly. There is no Dino Jr album that comes within 100 miles of the kind of artistic achievement of Siamese Dream.

Quote:
I'd love to see them play but as I've bemoaned before they tend to only play at big festivals which I'm not paying for to see one band I like.
They always come to Black Cat in DC. I assumed they were mostly a dingy club band still. The volume is really over the top though. If you see them, wear earplugs, seriously.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:12 AM   #462
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post

cut from the same cloth and dyed different colors.
loving this metaphor

Old 01-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #463
LaBelle
Socialphobic

This conversation becomes a really nutty read when you don't know Dinosaur Jr.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #464
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Today 05:56 PM
Elphenor

Today 06:02 PM
Elphenor

lots of fuzz

lots of pedals

Today 06:10 PM
Elphenor

it's just too hard rock for me

Today 06:20 PM
Elphenor

you established that they are indeed not a shoegaze band

I didn't argue that they were

my my, you just want it all the ways, don't you??
I called them an arena rock band

tis what this blanket term "alternative rock" comes down to mean

in the same way SD is a hard rock album with shoegaze

this is actually not a controversial opinion at all, you'll even find some will list Bug as shoegaze itself, I don't agree with that opinion, but it's not that far off

Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #465
yo soy el mejor

reading y'all talk about music is lol

Old 01-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #466
Elphenor
Braindead

anyway Galaxie 500 is betterz

with even worse vocals (more indie?)

*adjusts glasses*

Old 01-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #467
ilikeplanets
Braindead

the funniest thing evar is when people just HAVE to butt into a conversation that was complete without them. HAHAHA I'm lol'ing down the river

Old 01-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #468
redbreegull

I cannot hear any shoegaze in Dino Jr at all. It's just hard rock with a lot of fuzz. The only commonality I see here is that they don't move onstage.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #469
yo soy el mejor

just the words dinosaur jr remind me of bonsoir but i've never heard dinosaur jr.

just like two gallants or whatev reminds me of jesse, but i ain't never heard them either

Old 01-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #470
TuralyonW3
Immortal

this is the business

Old 01-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #471
ilikeplanets
Braindead

that's a great one

Old 01-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #472
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
I cannot hear any shoegaze in Dino Jr at all. It's just hard rock with a lot of fuzz. The only commonality I see here is that they don't move onstage.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #473
Elphenor
Braindead

anyway

Old 01-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #474
ilikeplanets
Braindead

how is Freak Scene even shoegaze?

Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #475
ilikeplanets
Braindead

genres don't matter anyway, i've decided. after the long argument about them. what's good is good.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #476
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
2. you are wrong. You may prefer Mascis, but as a guitarist yourself, you should be able to listen to the complexity and variance of what Mascis does in a solo vs. what Bill does in a solo, and even on a bad day, Bill is a far superior player. J Mascis plays a great guitar and I'm not knocking him for it, but all he does is major and pentatonic scales. He can bring serious intensity which is awesome, but from a technical standpoint, Billy Corgan is a much superior musician. It's not even close. And lead guitar aside, Billy also plays a variety of different styles whereas all Dino Jr. songs are essentially cut from the same cloth and dyed different colors.

they weren't a big influence on any of the grunge bands afaik. they also weren't the first band to play country style music with old man type vocals and crazy guitar solos. they borrowed a lot from neil young which I think is what you are describing
Dude, it's been 25 years since Corgans recorded any new guitar work that was emotive, blistering or even fundamentally complex. I know there's this attitude around the fan-base of "Billy Corgan just chooses to suck, he could be good again if he wants"... The truth is it takes passion to rip it on the guitar like Mascis and Corgan on Gish and SD... Corgan lost the passion long ago... For 25 years there's only been brief little glimpses here and there of good guitar ability...

Yeah, yeah yeah, I know what you're gonna say.... HE COULD STILL RIP IT ON THE AXE IF HE WANTED TO!!!... Just like "HE COULD STILL SING EMOTIONALLY IF HE WANTED TO"... If I was to listen to someone in this fan-base I'd have to come to the conclusion that Corgan decidedly ditched everything that made him special in favor of sucking... I mean give me a fucking break.

As for the grunge thing, you're right Neil Young is definitely the grandfather of the genre, but Dinosaur Jr pasted it all together and then influenced countless bands... Hell, Eddie Vedar came up with his vocal style in a large part from Mascis.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 01-05-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #477
fuzzyroes
Banned

Just think of it... What awesome guitar work has Corgan recorded in the last 25 years? There's not a whole lot there.... I hear people bring up that Jimmy Page cockery on Song For A Son.... No fucking way that shit's better than Mascis.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #478
fuzzyroes
Banned

I have no idea why Corgan lost his ability to create awesome new guitar work or to sing emotively... I'd reckon it's because he got rich and started living like an entitled yuppie... That's certainly enough to take away the drive of someone who was likely only in it for the fortune in the first place.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #479
fuzzyroes
Banned

I'm gonna rock this

You can go rock some "The Smashing Pumpkins-Run 2 Me" RBG

Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #480
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quadruple post with two rolling laughter emoticons, eh.

Looks like you've really wound this guy up, redbreegull.