Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #1141
slunken
Virgo

hey futureboy i don't know if you heard but it's the same gun he bought during the opener. i got you.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #1142
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

thanks I dont think I wouldve ever found out otherwise

Old 11-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #1143
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

Old 04-01-2015, 01:59 AM   #1144
Shallowed
Braindead

My girlfriend and I recently ploughed through the whole series, averaging two to three episodes a night.

It's an excellent show, but for something so universally acclaimed, I find it rather flawed.

spoilers ahead duh

* The premise is intriguing and on the believable side of unlikely absurdity. It must have had writers kicking themselves wishing that they came up with the idea. It's one of the few shows that anyone, even those who doesn't watch TV, knows what it's about. Not necessarily because it's everywhere, but because the very concept itself is memorable.

* I really appreciate the respect for scientific accuracy while balancing with dialogue that isn't overly jargonist. Even though I have little understanding of chemistry, I enjoyed the episodes where Walt adopts his passion for chemistry to achieve his goals.

* I feel like Walter White's character is a kind of twist on the classic "rise and fall" arc, because really, Walt is rarely ever in control, he's just convinced himself that he has. There are so many other characters who really know what's happening, who have real experience, they are the ones who are in control until Walt wrenches it from their grasp with little consideration for the consequences.

* This is the basis for one of my biggest gripes with the show. To begin with, I actually liked how quickly Walt had to resort to desperate measures, because it was either him or them, and it expresses perfectly the sheer gravity of what he's getting into. I mean, on the very first episode, Walt nearly committed suicide, that says everything about the gravity of the situation. Walt lost sight of his position later on, and the lengths he was prepared to go to went to his head. The means to his ends get increasingly unforgivable and senseless, verging into nonsensical.

* * Most obvious example, why the fuck did he kill Mike? What was that supposed to achieve? It was purely out of a bruised ego, and it was even more annoying when Walt realised right afterwards that he didn't need to. For a moment I thought he had realised how much of a senseless monster he had become, but he still continued in his path of destruction, without a shred of self consciousness.

* * and I couldn't believe how awfully Walt treated Jesse sometimes. It simply didn't make sense, they're supposed to be partners and Walt just fucks Jesse over and over, breaking promises and agreements, hypocritically belittling him, manipulating him, hurting the ones he loves... the characters could have had so much more potential if Walt appreciated and respected Jesse instead of using him like a pawn just like everyone else.

* On that note, it absolutely broke my heart how many awful things happened to Jesse in general. He must have the most tortured soul of any of the characters.

* Some of the "main characters", namely Skyler, Junior and Marie had virtually no character development. Skyler finally got brought into focus towards the latter half when she became a part of Walt's business and lies, and while that was a good payoff, she should have been given the fleshing out that a main character deserves from earlier on. Junior and Marie are only significant because they're related or married to other main characters. Marie's kleptomania was a useless subplot that served absolutely no purpose at all, not when it was happening, and not when it was neatly swept under the rug by apologising to her sister about it. Junior was just a useless character virtually all around.

* okay, and here's a sub-gripe to my biggest gripe, WHY THE FUCK WERE WE NOT ONCE SHOWN OR EXPLAINED HOW WALT POISONED BROCK??? I was waiting the ENTIRE fifth season some explanation to how Walt got that poison to Brock. The show is not averse to the occasional flash back, so why not spend ONE FUCKING MINUTE to make this plot point ACTUALLY PLAUSIBLE?? WHY DO WE GET MARIE'S KLEPTOMANIA, SKYLER'S MARILYN MONROE PERFORMANCE, WALT DEMANDING HIS SON TO DRINK TEQUILA, BUT NOT A SIMPLE EXPLANATION AS TO HOW A MAN GOT TO POISON A CHILD THAT HE'D ONLY EVER SEEN ONCE OR TWICE IN HIS LIFE?

* Season five was intense as shit but jeez, all the new characters got really jammed in there out of nowhere and destroyed the flow of the story. More older characters should have come back.

* I liked the suspense and tragedy and stuff though

* Fave characters; Saul Goodman (instantly saw why he has a spinoff show now) Mike Eumengadjkfhglkjsf (disgruntled ex cop extraordinaire) Gustavo Fring (cold as ice clairvoyant, would be delighted to have dinner with) Hank Schrader (from HYUCK HYUCK loudmouth to the real hero of the story) Jesse Pinkman (someone around here needs to give a shit about kids) and Hector Salamanca (the face says everything)

* omg 4shadowing omg symbolism I fucking knew it

8/10 overall

sorry I find it easier to criticise things than praise

Old 04-01-2015, 02:01 AM   #1145
Shallowed
Braindead

I'll see you guys in the better call saul thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #1146
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

The statute of limitations on discussing breaking bad has passed. Sorry brocho

Old 04-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #1147
Eulogy
huh

They do explain how he poisons Brock? Or am I misunderstanding your complaint?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #1148
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
Sorry brocho
brocho? like a chomo, just your bro?

i thought you limited yourself to canines.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #1149
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Some of the "main characters", namely Skyler, Junior and Marie had virtually no character development.
that's not what I saw, difference in writing their characters compared to Walt and Jesse is that they are set to deal with whatever gets thrown at them, there doesn't have to be some major turn like Walt turning into a crime loving asshole.

either way, if you call BB scripts FLAWED - I'm curious what you watch that is less flawed?

see you in BCS - how great are Mike's ears by the way, I love seeing that guy.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #1150
Elphenor
Braindead

Old 04-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #1151
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
They do explain how he poisons Brock? Or am I misunderstanding your complaint?
Google "how did Walter white poison brock"

You'll find a couple of articles that "explain" how it went down by only referring to what happens on screen, but what you're really getting is an explanation of how Walt covered it up, pinned the blame on Gus, and how Jesse finally figured it out. I have no problems with understanding that, but there was absolutely nothing on screen showing us how he managed to get the poison to Brock.

This has been explained away with what feels to me like speculation from the writers

Quote:
"My writers and I would always tell ourselves the story of The Evil Juicebox Man', Gilligan jokes. "It was improbable, perhaps, but not impossible. Once he'd got that idea, spinning the gun and looking at that Lily of the Valley plant, I think probably he crushed some of the stuff up, put it in a juice box, got into Brock's school somehow." He admits that it would have been tricky, but that's "his best guess" as to how Walt did it
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s16...p8EfiuM1aV0szb

It seems to be a rather common confusion, this thing

Old 04-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #1152
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

The details aren't important. Go watch a procedural cop drama if you want your hand held

Old 04-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #1153
Eulogy
huh

Yeah I mean. I don't think it's dumb to want that explanation but I don't think it is a problem to leave that sort of detail open ended

Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #1154
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
that's not what I saw, difference in writing their characters compared to Walt and Jesse is that they are set to deal with whatever gets thrown at them, there doesn't have to be some major turn like Walt turning into a crime loving asshole.
Saul Goodman is a character that is set to deal with whatever is thrown at him by other characters, and he's one of the best characters on the show, so I don't think that the problem lies with having major turns vs dealing with what gets thrown at them. Marie and Junior are supposed to be main characters but they come off more like supporting characters, Skyler is the same until later on.

Quote:
either way, if you call BB scripts FLAWED - I'm curious what you watch that is less flawed?
I didn't say that the scripts were flawed, it's the series as a whole that I think is flawed, but the biggest flaws aren't in the script, for me they're in the writing of the plot and the characters.

I'm not an avid TV watcher, and I haven't seen an entire series of this type* so I'm viewing it from a similar perspective that I might view a film series

*I don't know if there are "types", but it's obviously different to series that don't have distinct beginning middle and end parts to them, or where each episode is a different story encapsulated within that episode alone

Old 04-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #1155
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
the biggest flaws aren't in the script, for me they're in the writing of the plot and the characters.
wut? by "script" I meant "the writing of the plot and characters" on paper, I'm not sure what you mean?

funny thing is, until you mentioned it I never noticed that the Brook poisoning was never properly clarified. Like how and when did he get to that boy? maybe they just wanted us to think he really did it, but he didn't!

nah but okay, I see your point, it didn't bug me here since I didn't even notice it, but things like that drive me mad in other series/films.
thing with BB is that it is technically perfect - I'd have forgiven them an actually bad script if I still got to see this cinematography and sound editing.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #1156
Shallowed
Braindead

Oh, when I said script I meant the lines of dialogue written on paper for the actors

Old 04-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #1157
pavementtune

okay I'm slow, now I get it.

I'm currently making my way through all of it for the 3rd? time, focus on sound design and lighting alone. wonderful, glorious!

sadly they don't have the same crew (or budget) for Better Call Saul, I miss the fancy stuff.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #1158
MusicMan4

Quote:

see you in BCS - how great are Mike's ears by the way, I love seeing that guy.
Mad Men, The Wire, Sopranos
There are a lot of flaws in Breaking Bad that I can't go over on my iPad and also I won't make any sense
But the show is basically big dumb popcorn entertainment, it just happens to be the best of such big dumb shows mainly because of how it is put together and acted, not because of the great writing

Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #1159
pavementtune

you find the writing of Mad Men and Sopranos better than BB? I don't.

to each their own, but calling BB writing "bid dumb popcorn entertainment" is pretty ridiculous.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #1160
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Sopranos is the GOAT

followed by the wire and six feet under

then BB

then stuff like Oz, House of cards, maybe orange is the new black

havent seen mad men yet

Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #1161
MusicMan4

Quote:
you find the writing of Mad Men and Sopranos better than BB? I don't.

to each their own, but calling BB writing "bid dumb popcorn entertainment" is pretty ridiculous.
No it isn't. I'm not alone on this at all, it's exceedinly well made cheese. I love the show, but stuff like Tuco, the body dissolving through the floor, the nazi gang, the m-16, the ricin, it's all silly and preposterous.mlike I have to keep specifying that I love the show
I mean the fucking plane crash was so ridiculous. Gus' death, etc
It's mostly well plotted but it takes extraordinary leaps of faith at times and, and it's just really slick compared to something like those other two shows. I don't know. Like I said I can't make sense

Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #1162
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
Like I said I can't make sense
you do, sort of. At least now I get what exactly it is you mean by "dumb popcorn entertainment" - I only say that about stuff like Fast and Furious.

Leaps of faith, yes. That's one of the things I actually appreciate about it.

can we have another mega tv series thread, please, like someone explain to me why Mad Men is worth watching beyond season 1. and stuff.
we almost had one going, sadly it's in the fuzzy Two and a Half Men thing.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #1163
MusicMan4

Well season 1 of Mad Men is the worst so there's a reason

I don't ever say big dumb entertainment as a negative
I would remove the word entertainment if it sucked
Fast and Furious are big dumb entertainment though. Breaking Bad is obviously a level above that but it still activates the exact same pleasur center in my brain

Old 04-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #1164
pavementtune

obviously I've only seen season 1 of Mad Men and god dammit. So I've made it through the worst already? good to know.
Similar thing with The Americans. I want to watch it, but I can't make my way through the pilot, and I didn't want to start somewhere in the middle and then don't get what's going on.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #1165
Eulogy
huh

If you can't make your way through the Americans pilot you may not have a pulse