Not bad, but definitely has a DC made for TV vibe

Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #33
Mooney
Socialphobic

in the past week or so i've watched:

robert bresson's 'pickpocket' and 'a man escaped'
ingmar bergman's 'through a glass darkly' and 'seventh seal'
andrei tarkovsky's 'ivan's childhood'

tarkovsky is a master. i think ivan's childhood is widely considered his worst film, but i still enjoyed it more than my first foray into bergman. not my cup of tea, i guess.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #34
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Current series I'm watching:

Outlander
The Strain
You're The Worst

Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #35
Order 66
Socialphobic

i'm watching all of you. seeing you pee, all of you. and you don't even know..

Old 10-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #36
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

switched at birth

on season 2

Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #37
yo soy el mejor

watched the last half of the grey this morning. watched the first half last night.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #38
Mo
Immortal

I recently binge-watched the first season of The Blacklist. It's absolute tosh, obviously, but I'm in love with James Spader, so I didn't mind too much.

And I've almost caught up with the latest episodes of Bob's Burgers and Parks & Rec, two of my favourite shows at the moment.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #39
Mo
Immortal

Fuck me, this thread is six years old.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #40
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
in the past week or so i've watched:

robert bresson's 'pickpocket' and 'a man escaped'
ingmar bergman's 'through a glass darkly' and 'seventh seal'
andrei tarkovsky's 'ivan's childhood'

tarkovsky is a master. i think ivan's childhood is widely considered his worst film, but i still enjoyed it more than my first foray into bergman. not my cup of tea, i guess.
I don't know about ivan's childhood, but i'd rate Nostalgia and Stalker 5 cans of dried paint out of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Watching "Gotham"

Not bad, but definitely has a DC made for TV vibe
I watched the first episode last week and it made me cringe. And really it's just "here's another cop show. But set in Gotham." Yeah i still don't care. Also Selina stalking Bruce and being there when his parents get shot? Please.........

I still haven't seen one good comics adapted show. I had to stop arrow after two episodes, Agents of Shield is completely embarrassing, i still don't know how Smallville lasted as long as it did and I don't see why i should check out Flash since it's by the same people as Arrow it seems. Also what's up with DC and one word tv shows titles? I bet if they did Green Lantern they'd call it either Green or Lantern. And i guess marvel just wants to make "agent" shows now what with Agent Carter.

I have hope for DD only because it's netflix but I dont know. Probably will be bad too. I learned recently they plan to do Luke Cage , Jessica Jones and Iron Fist and then have a Defenders show with all them together. I think they shoudl make this whole project set in the 70's because Iron fist is basically asian exploitation films, Cage is blaxploitation and Hell's kitchen now is apparently very gentrified now so it doesn't even make sense that DD should defend it. From what? Latte drinking douchebags?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #41
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Also tried last week, Forever. i don't know why i keep giving network shows a shot. I think the hack writer thought nobody would notice if he ripped stuff off many different movies and series. First it starts and it's like, oh ok it's like Sherlock (he can expertly guess everything about your life at a glance then shows off and explains why he knows..)... with.. a highlander twist (immortal AND the end with the henzo sword?)...with the basic plot of Unbreakable (the terrorist causing a train crash to test his theory that this guy is immortal..seriously?)... but also medical examiner so like all those forensics shows too. Embarassing. Judd Hirsch deserves better.

The series im watching right now are Doctor Who as usual, Intruders which is not terrific but alright and The Knick which i quite like though as a hypochondriac, watching an hospital show in near victorian times is a bit unnerving. If i lived then i'd have just killed myself before a horrible untreatable disease (most of them then) did.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #42
Order 66
Socialphobic

i'm watching true detective.. show is AMAZE BALLS

Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #43
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Yeah it was possibly the best show i watched this year. Next season is Colin Farell and Vince Vaughn... I can take Farell but Vince Vaughn? Not setting my expectations too high.

American Horror Story is beginning again in like a week and i'll watch that too. Last season was horrible though. Started better than any of the others and then lost its way completely by the mid season. The last few episodes just went nowhere, it's like they made this shit up as they went along and didn't bother second guessing themselves. the first two seasons were fun.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #44
Order 66
Socialphobic

i don't see how they could top last season regardless of actors.. it had a really unique story. though colin farell and vaughn seems underwhelming on paper

Old 11-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #45
slunken
Virgo

i started watching the Wire finally.

2 eps under my belt. I like it ok I guess. There's an ambiguity about it that I like, in the sense that there isn't a true "hero" or "lead guy" to the show. I suppose maybe that could be McNulty but they're intentionally painting him in the worst possible light, right?

I'm not supposed to be liking that character am I?

Is that accurate or am I way off?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #46
slunken
Virgo

also i realize the show probably gets better and more involved as it progresses (one of its selling points i'm sure) but so far i'm not seeing anything that defines this as a hard-hitting genre-smasher of a classic.

Really the only thing keeping me interested is "oh i wonder how their detective work is going to progress" or "oh i wonder when that drug kid from the opening trial is going to do something to make his drug family turn on him" which in my eyes doesn't have that much mass-appeal.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #47
slunken
Virgo

i guess i was expecting more jump cuts and action and more parrallel story lines interweaving a complex web right out of the gate

Old 11-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #48
slunken
Virgo

it's doing a fairly good job of portraying the shit-rolling bureaucratic chain of command in a fairly mundane matter but at every chance " here's mcnulty with his wildly antisocial behavior!" - this guy is a cartoon. i'm not sure i get it.

i just thought there wasnt going to be that much focus on one particular part of the story and that it was going to branch out more.

does this happen later?

Old 11-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #49
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
there isn't a true "hero" or "lead guy" to the show.
that's what makes it so real

Old 11-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #50
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Watching "The Affair" on Showtime. It's half annoying and half interesting.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #51
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I've been watching Mission: Implausible old shows for some months. I love that shit. Some episodes are so far fetched but that's part of the fun. And i have to say for the time, this is pretty good. I use to wach the show in reruns in like 1996 or something. I like the idea that there's no character development. the whole point of the series was just heists. You don't know what Phelps or Barney or Willie do in their everyday lives ever and there's no time spent on elaborating on their relationships with one another and you don't really care. Just self contained heists. They could never have a series like that now.

OF course the series went on too long, there's a lot of episodes kinda ripping off earlier ones in the last two seasons. Too much reliance on the masks too... this stuff is so beyond implausible. Even if the mask looked like real skin and all, people's facial bone structure arent the same. And then to copy perfectly the voice, nevermind have the exact same build and height of the person you're impersonating... I like the episodes when Phelps is supposed to be like some sort of low life... yeah cause you totally buy it looking at Peter Graves. Hes not incredibly dapper or anything.. There's one where hes' supposedly a motocross enthusiast.....yes...sure...

Other old series watching weekly for some months, the Incredible Hulk. It was on when i was a kid but i didnt really watch it because ::Coughhulkscaredmecough::. Its spectacularly 70s of course. I like how every episode tackles a different issue or is trying to implement things that were like..trendy at the time (just that is very 70s in itself). There's the runaway episode which is ALSO the disco episode. The abusive father beating his kid episode. The "retard" episode (hey they called them that in the show, this has one hilarious line actually "yes, he's a mental retard" said by Bixby no less..) It's amazing though how Bixby just had that face and demeanor that totally made you believe he must have been the nicest greatest guy ever. You totally buy it in the series (because boy is Banner a GOOD guy in this...and even Hulk really...which kinda defeats the whole point of the comics....). Apparently he also WAS actually a good person in real life.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #52
slunken
Virgo

i started season 2 of the wire. i really do have a character crush on amy ryan. so far i'm pretending this is what she was doing when she moved away from michael in season 5 of the office.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #53
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

season 2 is a big drop off imo. just cause season 1 was so great. then it gets gradually better until the last season is money again.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #54
slunken
Virgo

was that the method man that just beat down ziggy

Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #55
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
season 2 is a big drop off imo. just cause season 1 was so great. then it gets gradually better until the last season is money again.
you're crazy!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #56
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I am watching Bob's Burgers and Ghost Hound

Old 12-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #57
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
What the fuck is this?!

In order, seasons:

Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #58
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

you know what i think the last season might have been so bad i blocked it out. i forgot about staging the crime scenes and shit.

the season i was referring to as money is the one with the kids in it and the bodies in the buildings and nail gun etc

Old 12-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #59
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i just checked out the synopsis on wikipedia and holy shit i totally did block all of that shit out.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #60
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

let me revise my statement:

season 2 is a big drop off imo. just cause season 1 was so great. then it gets gradually better until season 4 is money again.