Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2002, 09:52 AM   #31
wangcomputers

Quote:
Originally posted by THRILLHO:
that's not a bad idea!
i'm picturing something kind of like "where in the world is carmen sandiego" where you are Andrew Pakula and you have to find a hacker by travelling around the world and tracking down IP addresses. but the leads and info you collect might be false, due to things being hacked. and you'd travel to hundreds of netphorian houses around the globe, and each netphorian house would be like a side-scrolling mario level with a netphorian as a boss or something.

haha that's awesome.
I'd have it as a game where you have to climb your way to moderator status, while avoiding the menacing Pakula from banning your IP. (IP=HP).
It'd be similar to GTA3 but instead, of having the police you just have pakula (a Judge Dread type character) -Pakula is the law. Instead of the rival gangs, you just have rival trolls competing.

You get points for teasing people, and making lame topics.
And if you suck up to Judge Dread (pakula) you get an extra bonus, making your climb to mod-status that much faster.

Quote:

i'd also like to make a cartoonish fighting game with only two characters, but they can do absolutely anything. they'd have, like, 500 moves each, and 500 finishing moves each, and there'd be rules and techinicalities like in sports, so there'd be multiple approaches to defeating the other guy. it would be both silly and hilarious like smash bros and strategic. the moves would be completely insane, like you could grab your energy bar and beat the other guy with it, or a move where a whole bunch of screaming fans come and cheer you on so loud that the other guy can't hear himself talk and therefore his moves are disabled, or you pull out a bottle of wine, drink it and smash it across your head and are drunk and try to kill the other guy with a broken bottle. i have dozens of moves like this documented. and there would be a stage on a trampoline in the sky.

that's cool. I've had similar thoughts.
Playing games like Power Stone 2 and Ergheiz is cool, but they need to make battles more complex and strategic.
Same thing with side scrolling fighting games. The best ones I've played are Ghost Chaser (get it at www.oneminuteleft.com) and Gekido, because you have loads of moves at your disposal, and the juggle factor too.

Quote:
Originally posted by THRILLHO:

i bet if they spent more time testing a FF game rather than rushing a new one out every year, they could totally pull it off.
Absolutely. But I think FFXI by going online is a bit of a risk, and early reports suggest that it's paid off.
You rule markus. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by wangcomputers (edited 06-20-2002).]

Old 06-20-2002, 09:59 AM   #32
sleeper

Quote:
like you could grab your energy bar and beat the other guy with it,
HAAHA that is a awsome idea.

in terms of non-linear games, i think GTA3 is on the right track. where there is a game for you to play, but it also has the exploration and freedom element. games like FF force you into the plot and make you fight, and force you on a linear path. I think one of the biggest reasons videogames are so fun because they allow temporary escape, so games like FF or GTA3 are great because they even allow you to even be someone else in a different world. tamagochi and the sims allow kinda the same thing. almost like a new start. so it takes ten times the effort but in terms of rpg's, screw the superpowers and hp shit and make it just a simulation of life. so you can go to town and find a job, or just sit on your ass in your backyard throwing rocks at the local kids all day. all with tamagochi/the sims style effects on you and your life. so in the end there is no real story progressing, but your character is. just like life. so for all the millions of nerds out there, and people sick with there lives, they get a safe, fully-functional retry at life. add an online element and there would be no need for reality anymore.

Old 06-20-2002, 10:03 AM   #33
wangcomputers

Quote:
Originally posted by sleeper:

in terms of non-linear games, i think GTA3 is on the right track. where there is a game for you to play, but it also has the exploration and freedom element. games like FF force you into the plot and make you fight, and force you on a linear path. I think one of the biggest reasons videogames are so fun because they allow temporary escape, so games like FF or GTA3 are great because they even allow you to even be someone else in a different world. tamagochi and the sims allow kinda the same thing. almost like a new start. so it takes ten times the effort but in terms of rpg's, screw the superpowers and hp shit and make it just a simulation of life. so you can go to town and find a job, or just sit on your ass in your backyard throwing rocks at the local kids all day. all with tamagochi/the sims style effects on you and your life. so in the end there is no real story progressing, but your character is. just like life. so for all the millions of nerds out there, and people sick with there lives, they get a safe, fully-functional retry at life. add an online element and there would be no need for reality anymore.
sounds like shenmue

Old 06-20-2002, 10:07 AM   #34
Mr. Rhinoceros

It would be the most complete baseball simulation known to man. From realistic games to a complete financial model. It would be so awesome, I would get erections playing it.

------------------
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.

Old 06-20-2002, 11:19 AM   #35
sleeper

Quote:
Originally posted by wangcomputers:
sounds like shenmue

yeah but still in shenmue there is a mission you have to complete. i mean like no responsibilities. i mean like if you wanted a car in the game youd have to work for it to buy one. or take another path and steal one. its all up to you and it all effect your life. gta3's got it down almost, its just they focus to much on using this freedom to go nuts and kill people, whcih im down with, but they couldve done so much more with the world and engine they built up/

Old 06-20-2002, 11:44 AM   #36
DeviousJ

Quote:
Originally posted by sleeper:

The more I play GTA, the more I realize how restricted the world is. I mean it's great, it's fun what you can do but you start to notice things you can't do... like the way cars disappear if you look away from them, the way the police always know exactly where you are... if the missions weren't in there, it would be to the game's detriment. Games like Shenmue, where you can just hang out and do lots of different things, seem much freer, even with the fixed storyline. I can see games becoming much freer and more complex (hence my AI-card post) in this way, just because it makes the game (whatever it may be) much more immersive

Tamagochi? :/

Old 06-20-2002, 12:19 PM   #37
sleeper

i was illustrating that video games are so popular because they are an escape. the success of tamagochi was an example. people like being someone other than themselves. haah sooner or later everyone realizes life isnt that carebare fantasy world they wanted it to be and they need a substitute. i think the new direction of games, without a doubt, is increases freedom. even games like halo, which you have an expansive enviroment to fuck around with. linear games can only offer so much. if a game TRULY incorporates life-life freedoms and openess the game can never get boring, you can only get boring. games like mario or streetfighter are all fun as fuck, but they all are finite and will get boring after a while. so if a game has no limitation, you can turn it into any game you want. GTA3 is a violent kill frenzy if you want it to be. thats why i hate all those moron power-moms that want to like ban games like GTA3. vice said it best "parents can’t complain about kids blowing people’s heads off. That’s not part of the game. You get rewarded for killing bad guys but as far as innocent civilians go, that’s your business. If the game is violent your kid is violent."

thats the kind of freedom in discussing. where the game is just an open ended realistic enviroment. its not an action game, or a puzzle game, or a fighting game or anything, its whatever you want it to be.

Old 06-20-2002, 08:34 PM   #38
THRILLHO

Quote:
Originally posted by wangcomputers:
[b] Absolutely. But I think FFXI by going online is a bit of a risk, and early reports suggest that it's paid off.
You rule markus. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif
no YOU rule, dan! YOU RULE! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/tongue.gif

i have no idea what FF online would even be like at all. i have almost no experience with online RPGs. i'm imagining a fundamentally different type of system than all other FFs.

and yeah, making video games is, in a word, hard. the concept is one thing, but fleshing it out and making the game playable is totally different and takes all of your time for months, really. and that's after you know the code.

i also remembered another idea i had a while ago: Bionic Death Curling. remember those mutant league sports games? it'd be like that, only with curling. totally over the top, with giant lazers and guns and robots and fire.

yup, it's just too damn bad i'll never be a video game designer! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif maybe i'll know one. i might actually get the opportunity to do sound/music for video games one day, and would totally love to. so we'll see.

i just downloaded ghost chaser and gekido. and rpgmaker is amazing. you tried this, dan? i think netphoria: the rpg just got closer to reality.

Old 06-21-2002, 06:01 AM   #39
wangcomputers

Yeah, FF XI seems quite different gameplay-wise. People can join other people in mid-fight, and so too can monsters so fights can apparently escalate out of control.
Here are some screenshots, they look pretty cool.

http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthre...threadid=15021

I haven't tried rpg-maker-2000 yet, but I'll look into it, thanks.

you have ghost chaser?

have a look of at my ghost chaser FAQ:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/game/14426.html

it's the only FAQ I've written, and probably the only one you'll find on the internet.

[This message has been edited by wangcomputers (edited 06-21-2002).]

Old 06-21-2002, 01:16 PM   #40
darcy_is_sexy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros:
It would be the most complete baseball simulation known to man. From realistic games to a complete financial model. It would be so awesome, I would get erections playing it.
if you're the managerial type, Out Of The Park is for you. http://www.ootp.net

Old 06-27-2002, 01:57 AM   #41
wangcomputers

Quote:
Originally posted by Affectation:
http://www.mafia-game.com/scrshots/01051307.jpg
this would be a good one to photoshop.
(preferably not with me though)

[This message has been edited by wangcomputers (edited 06-27-2002).]