Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Exclamation More studio material coming (album lovers fucked)!!!

http://www.spinner.com/2008/03/19/sm...eir-next-move/

Smashing Pumpkins Entering the Studio to Plot Their Next Move
Posted Mar 19th 2008 3:30PM by John D. Luerssen
Filed under: News, Exclusive

The Smashing Pumpkins will begin recording new material later this spring, according to drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, but fans looking for a proper follow-up album to last year's 'Zeitgeist' may be out of luck.

"It's something we're going to get to on May 1st," Chamberlin tells Spinner. "We just bought a building, and my wife and I are in the process of moving back to Chicago. Billy [Corgan] and I are going to start working every day like we used to.

"But I don't think we will make records again," the drummer explains, pointing out that the band's contractual commitment to Reprise Records is finished. "I look at it like the old business model is dead and the music business doesn't know how to move forward. We want to keep things vital and keep things viable and get our music across while remaining relevant. Music has in many ways just become an advertisement for your tour.

"I think what we'll do is start releasing songs," Chamberlin continues. "The record or CD format places too many limitations on your piece of art. People just don't buy records anymore. Anyone under the age of 24 just buys songs. It's just in our best interest to release blocks of songs. And I think what we'll do – not to let the cat out of the bag too much – is to create the framework where we can release a number of songs and maybe create a title. We can gather three or four songs, but it will all flow up to a larger body of work. But to call it record in the traditional sense would be anachronistic."

As for the material, the recently released stripped-down EP 'American Gothic' "is not an indication of the direction," Chamberlin says. "That was more of an experiment that Billy and I wanted to do. We wanted to see what it would sound like if we gave ourselves four days to record a song, like in the old days. And I think what we learned from that experience we'll bring to the new material.

"But the direction we're going in is grander, as opposed to the stripped-down sound we just did," Chamberlin continues. "I want it to be full tilt. I'd like to go bigger. And I think the next time the Pumpkins tour, you'll see a big stage presence with eight to ten people as opposed to just five."

Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Caine Walker
Braindead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
"I want it to be full tilt. I'd like to go bigger. And I think the next time the Pumpkins tour, you'll see a big stage presence with eight to ten people as opposed to just five."[/color]
NICE.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Eulogy
huh

fucking shit, they had better keep making albums.

SOME OF US STILL LIKE ALBUMS. FUCK.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

davin for the win

cool stuff here

Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

8 to 10? yikes

Old 03-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

yea, i like albums too. especially cohesive ones that "take you on a journey".

but later this spring? what about chicago and more north american dates?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
8 to 10? yikes
its like if the eagles went on an adore tour

Old 03-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

wtf I want physical albums damnit, not some crappy itunes download.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Caine Walker
Braindead

Angry

Quote:
yea, i like albums too. especially cohesive ones that "take you on a journey".

but later this spring? what about chicago and more north american dates?
corgan has forsaken chicago. he'll practive here, his drummer will move here, and they'll build a recording studio here.

but they won't play here.

WHAT

THE

FUCK??????

:mAD:

Old 03-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Banana
Banned

That last paragraph is very interesting. I'm guessing we'll get some violin action or something going. Also I like the record format and am non too pleased to hear that it's done for with the Smashing Pumpkins.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

interesting too, how he says "Billy [Corgan] and I are going to start working every day like we used to.". So sounds like the BC[lightningbolt]JC show will continue. Thats cool with me, but I hope for someone other than RTB in the studio for a change of pass. Something that can represent the live sound better, vs all the layering and shit (though i don't have the problem with the latter either).

Old 03-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

All very cool, but I don't want a bunch of files sitting on my computer. I hope they at least compile these into an LP release or something. It's a shame if they forsake the album format, as most Pumpkins LPs flow so well. Mellon Collie is great conceptually, it'll be a shame if they don't want to present their work as a cohesive whole.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
wHATcOLOR

its kind of an interesting quote about people under 24, and probably very true. what percent of people who know about/care about/would buy music from the band are under 24 i wonder

Old 03-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
T&T
Socialphobic

nice to see their spirits are high
no matter what comes out of it!

glad they're moving away from the things they feel restricted by
the future looks colorful.

HAHA chicago! HHAHA
http://www.seomoz.org/images/upload/...lson_haha2.jpg

Old 03-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Great find Davin! This sounds cool but 8-10 people on stage???? Guess I'll have to see/hear it.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #16
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

8-10 people?? wtf! I JUST learned the names of these three! jk

but it seriously does suck if he just makes it with jimmy because, honestly, most of the cool parts ive been hearing from these live shows and the directions they've taken the songs come from jeff. You can hear it in that shaker song, where they're trying to make something atmospheric. you can hear jeffs cool tone floating like the breeze and then billy comes in with the squealing pseudo-metal sound and it's weird. If anything, billy needs to let jeff program his tones.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #17
wHATcOLOR

i hope at least 2 or 3 of the 8 to 10 people are mike garson

dude is so boss

Old 03-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
You Said
Apocalyptic Poster

SP never does what they say they are going to do.

it'll be a double album.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #19
You Said
Apocalyptic Poster

"we just couldn't stop the band was on a roll, we had to make this album."

Old 03-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
T&T
Socialphobic

it'll be a double triple album

Old 03-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #21
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, doesn't saying 8-10 people next time they tour sort of contradict the era show thing?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #22
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Quote:

"I think what we'll do is start releasing songs," Chamberlin continues. "The record or CD format places too many limitations on your piece of art. People just don't buy records anymore. Anyone under the age of 24 just buys songs. It's just in our best interest to release blocks of songs. And I think what we'll do – not to let the cat out of the bag too much – is to create the framework where we can release a number of songs and maybe create a title. We can gather three or four songs, but it will all flow up to a larger body of work. But to call it record in the traditional sense would be anachronistic."
"It will all flow up to a larger body of work". I think he's hinting they'll eventually release an album. This really ties into that UK radio interview where they said they'll record stuff quickly, put it out there, tour the songs, then re-record them if necessary.

I have to admit that I'm mostly past the album experience at this point, but then I don't have as much time as I used to sit and enjoy an album.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #23
brillo998
Ownz

great. more shitty songs that we will all hate/laugh at.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #24
Caine Walker
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Art Rioter View Post
Also, doesn't saying 8-10 people next time they tour sort of contradict the era show thing?
pipe dream, yo.

this was never going to happen anyway. i mean, seriously.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #25
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

Taking all of this with a grain of salt.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #26
xezton
Ownz

I honestly don't want them to "trickle out songs". I like waiting for a big surprise and then getting something better than I expected (sans Zeitgeist).

I just don't get as excited when I get to buy a whopping four songs that aren't interconnected and I can finish listening to on my car ride home from work.

Plus I don't buy music online, never have. If there is no physical product, then I don't buy it. So that's too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
Music has in many ways just become an advertisement for your tour.
I didn't think this is a recent thing. I thought Music has ALWAYS been an advertisement for tours. You think people come to shows because your poster is cool?

I have nothing to complain about, though. If they continue to pump out music I'll be happy as long as I still enjoy it.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #27
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Pretty stupid if you ask me. Then again, I don't believe anything Billy or Jimmy say anymore.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #28
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn View Post
Pretty stupid if you ask me. Then again, I don't believe anything Billy or Jimmy say anymore.
Yeah, many grains of salt, obv.

If Billy considers American Gothic, the Zeitgeist b-sides and Superchrist all to be part of the "Zeitgeist" era, then I kinda see where they're going with this.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #29
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xezton View Post
I didn't think this is a recent thing. I thought Music has ALWAYS been an advertisement for tours.
some people tour to promote the album
others release an album to promote the tour

while others tour to tour and release albums to release albums

something like that.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #30
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

I'd find just releasing blocks of songs at a time kind of disappointing. Even though albums are such a standard way of releasing songs, I've never had a problem with the album format, and sometimes the mere arrangement of songs allows you to better enjoy them. Maybe this will lead to more polished individual songs, I don't know.

But I think the assessment that people only buy individual songs is pretty false, everyone I know sticks to buying albums.