Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2020, 04:30 AM   #1
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Default Neil Young - Homegrown

How many unreleased gems does he have? This one is great too. Sound is awesome, especially the drums. Florida is a totally unexpected track, like sonic youth at its most free.

I don't follow him that well, can someone tell me if this album was already well known among fans and bootleggers?

new Bob Dylan album and 'new' Neil Young album on the same day in 2020, who would have known in the seventies?

Old 06-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Can't embed this at the moment but I remember watching it on the television. Not far in Eddie talks about him and Neil being in an Archives room. Eddie was hoping Neil would take something off the shelves to play but instead, "he looked around and he said I gotta get out of here."

Thinking about that 25 years later still makes me smile

https://youtu.be/cMmT6JN5Pqc

Old 06-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
slunken
Virgo

On my second liquid listen. Quite satisfying.

I'm happy Neil puts so much work into all-analog mastering for vinyl.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

This album as a piece is definitely a true unearthed album...and it's so fucking good.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Been listening to this all weekend. I like it, but don't love it. It's a fairly incongruent album, which is typical Neil. Also some really great songs from these sessions that didn't make the album, that would have really improved it.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

yeah, I guess I agree. Don't know the sessions though.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

HOMEGROWN RECORDING SESSIONS

June 1974 - Broken Arrow (prod Tim Mulligan)

Love Is A Rose (Decade, Homegrown)
Pardon My Heart (Zuma)
Through My Sails (Zuma)
Hawaiian Sunrise
Barefoot Floors
Love/Art Blues
Homefires

September 1974 - Ramport Studios (prod Tim Mulligan)

White Line (Homegrown)
Mediterranean

December 1974 - Quadrafonic Sound (prod Elliot Mazer)

Separate Ways (Homegrown)
Try (Homegrown)
Homegrown (Homegrown)
Star of Bethlehem (Homegrown, American Stars 'n Bars)
The Old Homestead (Hawks & Doves)
Deep Forbidden Lake (Decade)
Give Me Strength
Frozen Man
Daughters

December 1974-January 1975 - Broken Arrow (prod Ben Keith & Tim Mulligan)

We Don't Smoke It No More (Homegrown)
Vacancy (Homegrown)

January 1975 - Village Recorder (prod Ben Keith)

Little Wing (Homegrown, Hawks & Doves)
Kansas (Homegrown)
Mexico (Homegrown)
Florida (Homegrown)

Last edited by soniclovenoize : 06-22-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Been listening to this all weekend. I like it, but don't love it. It's a fairly incongruent album, which is typical Neil. Also some really great songs from these sessions that didn't make the album, that would have really improved it.
The extra songs will be on Archives 2. I know you know this already (that Duma mix is going to be siiiiiiick).

I've been trying to keep up with the Hoffman forums regarding this LP but this IS the original Homegrown, yea? Reconstructed from the damaged original master?

Other than that, I can see why it was held back. It's really demo-y and some of the takes are the roughest of Neil's I've yet to hear.

Ben Keith sends me.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
TuralyonW3
Immortal

It’s so fucking good

Old 06-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
On my second liquid listen. Quite satisfying.

I'm happy Neil puts so much work into all-analog mastering for vinyl.
Ive been getting all the NYA vinyls of his 60s - early 80s stuff and they just sound amazing

Old 06-23-2020, 10:30 PM   #11
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
The extra songs will be on Archives 2. I know you know this already (that Duma mix is going to be siiiiiiick).

I've been trying to keep up with the Hoffman forums regarding this LP but this IS the original Homegrown, yea? Reconstructed from the damaged original master?

Other than that, I can see why it was held back. It's really demo-y and some of the takes are the roughest of Neil's I've yet to hear.

Ben Keith sends me.
Yep, according to that one poster who went and decoded it all, the original master of Homegrown was trashed, so they rebuilt it from safety copies. The "Little Wing" is literally cut from the master of Hawkes and Doves.

Yeah can't want for Duma. I was just reading today, NY talking about it in one of his autobiographies, saying that's what he listens to, the Duma disc he made, and it has earlier versions of Powderfinger and Sedan Delivery, etc.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #12
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I can’t wait for the unreleased Crazy Horse album TOAST

Old 06-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

This is really good, and the previously released material fits in really well. Also, Florida is pretty cool.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #14
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Everyone's hating on Florida, but it's the "bad dream" that is mentioned in the first line of the next song.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:16 PM   #15
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I was just reading today, NY talking about it in one of his autobiographies, saying that's what he listens to, the Duma disc he made, and it has earlier versions of Powderfinger and Sedan Delivery, etc.
This was in Waging Heavy Peace, yea?

Just want to align sources.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #16
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
This was in Waging Heavy Peace, yea?

Just want to align sources.
Yep. He called is Dume.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #17
slunken
Virgo

Man, I can't wait.

Still cannot understand people whining about "Florida".

I think the only other thing that could cap off the archives would be the original mix of Tonight's the Night with the raps.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #18
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

My question is, is this tracklist even the original Homegrown? Was there an official tracklist that this archival release is faithful to, or did they just dive into these sessions to put something out. I am confused because I would have expected tracks like Homefires and Deep Forbidden Lake to be on this album. In the Decade liner notes, NY writes that Deep Forbidden Lake was supposed to be on Homegrown. So why is it missing but Star of Bethlehem and Love is a Rose made this release? I mean, they could have easily packed more tracks on either a vinyl LP or a CD.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #19
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
My question is, is this tracklist even the original Homegrown? Was there an official tracklist that this archival release is faithful to, or did they just dive into these sessions to put something out. I am confused because I would have expected tracks like Homefires and Deep Forbidden Lake to be on this album. In the Decade liner notes, NY writes that Deep Forbidden Lake was supposed to be on Homegrown. So why is it missing but Star of Bethlehem and Love is a Rose made this release? I mean, they could have easily packed more tracks on either a vinyl LP or a CD.
Yes this is the original tracklist of Homegrown.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #20
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yes this is the original tracklist of Homegrown.
I see. I am curious where this original tracklist came from and how long it has been known. Did they release it recently? Or is it from older materials that had circulated? I swear just a few years ago the Wikipedia entry about the track listing was much more vague.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #21
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I see. I am curious where this original tracklist came from and how long it has been known. Did they release it recently? Or is it from older materials that had circulated? I swear just a few years ago the Wikipedia entry about the track listing was much more vague.
Essentially, the tracklist on wikipedia has always been wrong.

In the 2000 biography Zero To Sixty by Johnny Rogan, the actual Homegrown tracklist was listed, as per Elliot Mazer, but they were not in the correct order:
Homegrown
Star Of Bethlehem
White Line
Little Wing
Try
Four Walls
Separate Ways
Vacancy
Florida
Kansas
Mexico

Aside from no Love is a Rose and We Don't Smoke It, and the inclusion of Four Walls (which could be an alternate title to one of those two anyways), this is essentially what we ultimately got, and this information was published twenty years ago. That is why I think this is legit. They also went through a lot of trouble just to gather this specific set of songs, so I'm fairly sure this was the tracklist NY meant to release in 1975.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #22
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

really like this album, but the title song is so dumb. can't seem to get over it.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:24 PM   #23
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

It is completely dumb, but it has a great groove.

I'm still torn between that and the Crazy Horse version from ASnB

Old 06-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #24
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Essentially, the tracklist on wikipedia has always been wrong.

In the 2000 biography Zero To Sixty by Johnny Rogan, the actual Homegrown tracklist was listed, as per Elliot Mazer, but they were not in the correct order:
Homegrown
Star Of Bethlehem
White Line
Little Wing
Try
Four Walls
Separate Ways
Vacancy
Florida
Kansas
Mexico

Aside from no Love is a Rose and We Don't Smoke It, and the inclusion of Four Walls (which could be an alternate title to one of those two anyways), this is essentially what we ultimately got, and this information was published twenty years ago. That is why I think this is legit. They also went through a lot of trouble just to gather this specific set of songs, so I'm fairly sure this was the tracklist NY meant to release in 1975.
Very interesting. Even if Four Walls is one of the other songs - they still added a track. Maybe it was supposed to be Four Strong Winds. I have to admit that I have enjoyed this album a bit more than I may have b/c I never really listened to ASnB. Outside of the Decade cuts, I was only really familiar with White Line from Ragged Glory. I had listened to Little Wing, but it seemed slight and I mostly forgot about it. It works well in this track listing.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #25
slunken
Virgo

My dad is a casual Neil fan and he expressed interest in this one (probably because I was hyped about it). I kept telling him it’s a bum trip. Amazoned it to his house. Called me and said he will listen to it “tonight” while he had some driving to do. Didn’t hear back for 14 hours lol.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #26
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Very interesting. Even if Four Walls is one of the other songs - they still added a track. Maybe it was supposed to be Four Strong Winds. I have to admit that I have enjoyed this album a bit more than I may have b/c I never really listened to ASnB. Outside of the Decade cuts, I was only really familiar with White Line from Ragged Glory. I had listened to Little Wing, but it seemed slight and I mostly forgot about it. It works well in this track listing.
Four Strong Winds was recorded two years later during the Comes a Time sessions. Probably wasn't that.

There is another version of White Line with Crazy Horse from the Zuma sessions (or maybe it was recorded around the time of "Like a Hurricane", can't seem to find that info) which is great.

It's strange, many of these songs seem fragmentary, it's definitely giving Homegrown a specific, broken, haphazard feel. Almost like a White Album sort of vibe.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:01 PM   #27
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Yeah good analysis. It's essential Neil.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #28
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Four Strong Winds was recorded two years later during the Comes a Time sessions. Probably wasn't that.

There is another version of White Line with Crazy Horse from the Zuma sessions (or maybe it was recorded around the time of "Like a Hurricane", can't seem to find that info) which is great.

It's strange, many of these songs seem fragmentary, it's definitely giving Homegrown a specific, broken, haphazard feel. Almost like a White Album sort of vibe.
Yeah, at first I was startled by this. Some of the tracks seem to fade out too soon. But the album ticks by pretty fast. While it doesn't have as many solid high points as Harvest (considering it as a Harvest follow-up), it also doesn't suffer from Harvest's orchestral tracks, which I have always skipped past. It's a shame he didn't record A Man Needs a Maid and Heart of Gold in one continuous track like on Live at Massey Hall.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #29
slunken
Virgo

Those Jack Nitzsche orchestral tracks on Harvest (as much as I love the guy) are way too fucking dumb

Old 07-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #30
slunken
Virgo

But it's kind of funny to think about 70s heshers blaring "a man needs a maid" and trying to vibe with it