Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 AM   #1
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Default William Patrick Corgan - God Is Everywhere, From Here to There [a timeline]

2009:

Quote:
Well, according to Corgan's immensely entertaining/weird blog, Everything from Here to There, a book entitled God Is Everywhere is in the works and will be sort of spiritual memoir tracing the Smashing Pumpkin's journey from Chicago indie alternative rocker to the holy one he is today.

The book will be published by St. Martin's Press and Corgan posts on his blog that he is "thrilled to be working with them."

In a post called "Christmas Memories," Corgan talks about how the book is a "spiritual memoir about how this boy named William came to find God, or, vice versa, how God came to find William."
https://exclaim.ca/music/article/bil..._named_william

2011:

Quote:
Billy Corgan is writing a book that he describes as a "spiritual memoir."

Where other musicians may have been satisfied with a straightforward autobiography, the Smashing Pumpkins frontman is approaching his book with typical grandiosity, even down to the title: God Is Everywhere, From Here to There. It will be published in 2012 by St Martin's Press.

Corgan told Rolling Stone he is not even using a ghostwriter. He said: "It's a very interesting take inside my personal life and my band life. I've decided to write this on my own, which is complete insanity. I try to spend an hour a day on the book, which is the time I would usually put towards music writing. So that means I have to find that hour, because I won't give up that music-writing time. It's a journey, for sure."
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...iritual-memoir

2012:

Quote:
Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan is rarely at a loss for words, and he's clearly not shy about sharing his thoughts -- so it comes as no surprise that he's working on a memoir.

But this isn't just any life story Corgan is working on. Insisting that it isn't a "a rock 'n' roll autobiography," he's billing it as "a spiritual memoir," albeit one he promises will inclu*de "plenty of sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll," NME reports.

We may have to wait awhile to read it, though, because Corgan also says he'd like to get the next Smashing Pumpkins record out by December of 2013
http://diffuser.fm/billy-corgan-memo...umpkins-album/

2013:

Quote:
Music hasn't been Corgan's only priority as of late. The frontman opened his Resistance Pro independent wrestling promotion and has starred in a wrestling-themed commercial for Walter E. Smithe Furniture. Additionally, Corgan opened an Illinois tea house in 2012 and is currently working on his spiritual memoir, 'God is Everywhere from Here to There.'
http://loudwire.com/smashing-pumpkin...ing-new-album/

2014:

Quote:
Hello friends, a short status update on my book-in-progress, ‘GOD IS EVERYWHERE FROM HERE TO THERE.’

A few days prior I crossed the 200,000 word threshold, convinced that the midway point of said opus had been reached. But this was not so, as only 5 of 12 intended sections have been covered. Had I forgotten to count? No, it was just that section 5 was so long and intense an experience to spin-out that it *felt like a conclusion of sorts. So all this means is that I’m only a few weeks behind, and intend to make the correct (and anticipated) announcement 4 weeks hence.

General indications are that the book will eventually clock in at a half million words. Too many I say; but sadly, never enough.

W.P.C.
http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com...THERE%E2%80%99

Quote:
Q: You’ve also been working on a spiritual memoir for the last couple of years, “God is Everywhere, from Here to There.” When can we expect it to be published?

Corgan: It should be done roughly by the end of this year. The book is in four sections and I’ve just finished section one after a couple false starts. And that first section clocks in at about 120,000 words. Multiply that times four, that’s what the book is going to be.
Quote:
Q: What have you learned?

Corgan: I was surprised that writing long-form for a book is far different than writing a thousand words for a short story or a little observational thing. Or even a blog post. Because the long form of narrative requires a completely different discipline that I didn’t have. And I didn’t go to college, you know. And I have no formal training.

So being stubborn, I went into the process thinking, “I can do this” and then when I was confronted with the fact that I couldn’t, I had one of two choices. I was going to bring in a ghostwriter or quit, or figure out how to write a long-form book, and so I have actually taught myself how to write long form, which has been probably the hardest thing that I’ve had to do — way harder than learn how to write music.
http://crestfallen.com/2014/04/17/bi...r-and-twitter/

2016:

Quote:
The Smashing Pumpkins frontman's working title is 'God is Everywhere, From Here To There.'

Billy Corgan has been working on a memoir and it's turning into quite the lengthy tome. Running at more than 1,000 pages, the Smashing Pumpkins frontman said he's not done yet.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...han-1000-pages

2018:

Quote:
I keep coming back around to it. I mean...I thought I knew what the ending was gonna be, you know?....and now I have to write a totally different ending. That's part of the problem is...I'm actually thinking about restarting it...'cause in the beginning I was gonna write it out of sequence because I wanted to address the dissociative feeling of...it's a weird combo...of child abuse leading into fame. Every stage of my life is so dissociative, I actually wanted to make the reader feel dissociative part of it. But now I'm actually thinking the best thing to do is just sort of write the 0 to 18 book...like the book 'til the day I met James or something...like lead up to there and stop. And then the next book would be take it up from there and go through like Mellon Collie or something. I think that's probably a little bit more realistic at this point.

Last edited by amoergosum : 06-15-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:25 AM   #2
Shallowed
Braindead

ok

Old 04-12-2018, 04:04 AM   #3
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Imagine sitting down and trying to read half a million words of Billy’s half-truths, blatant lies and petty score-settling, all written in the style of his Instagram posts! Good grief

“For yet again, ‘Tis I who had the last laugh!” etc etc

There is space for a really interesting, truthful Pumpkins/Corgan book, but it ain’t this!

Old 04-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #4
Shallowed
Braindead

No-one here would bother reading it, I'm sure

Old 04-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #5
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Quentin Letts: So between this, of course your young family and.. you're writing a book too.. you're a very busy man ?

Billy Corgan: It's interesting that you mention me writing a book.

Quentin Letts: Interesting?

Billy Corgan: Interesting. I was writing a book. Emphasis on was. The heart and soul of that project lives on but it's transcended the written word. A book in 2018 is a hard sell. No one reads books anymore. No one.

Quentin Letts: I'm not sure if that's true.

Billy Corgan: It is absolutely. People pretend that they've read the book, they watch the movie and then complain that it's not as good as the book. I've found that people like to watch videos on YouTube and places like that of people talking about books.

Quentin Letts: Really?

Billy Corgan: Sure. There's videos of people taking things about of boxes

Quentin Letts: Unboxing videos, sure.

Billy Corgan: Don't interrupt me. Ever. There's videos of people playing computer games, videos of people eating. People watch these videos instead of doing things themselves. So for God is Everywhere I'm skipping straight to that step.

Quentin Letts: People talking about a book that doesn't exist?

Billy Corgan: No no no. It does exist. It absolutely exists. Stories existed before books. A million years before books. There's this tiny point in history where people read books. They're a passing fad. God is Everywhere is the first story of the post-book age. You can watch a 10 minute video of someone talking about the book, they'll tell you it's great and roughly what it's about and then you can have an opinion without needing to read 2,000 pages.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #6
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Okay so this was gold.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #7
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Billy (2028):
'My book is sitting in a can at home. it’s sitting there to this day. People who’ve read it say it’s some of the most beautiful work I’ve ever done. It’s just sitting there.'

Old 04-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #8
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Bravo.

Wouldn’t put it past Billy to publish as audiobook across 8x illustrated vinyls, with synth accompaniment, for $500.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #9
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Bravo.

Wouldn’t put it past Billy to publish as audiobook across 8x illustrated vinyls, with synth accompaniment, for $500.
No tea included???

Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #10
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully
No one reads books any more. No one.

true, the bestselling books each month are purchased as toilet paper.

That the people he surrounds himself with don't know how to open a book - if you don't tell them how via hashtags - is pretty obvious.

Wait shit, did I just fall for a fanfiction fake interview? haha.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember truly realizing Billy was delusional and ego maniacal beyond hope when he did that interview (quoted above) where he basically said, "I didn't realize writing a book would be this difficult." In 2012 or 2013, Billy did an interview with Howard Stern where he made fun of D'arcy for wanting to become an actress while she was still in the band. He said he tried to tell her people train their whole lives to be actresses, and she should not assume that because she had talent and success in one art form, it would automatically transfer to another with no prior experience or training. Yet, here was Billy thinking that, because he wrote songs, some blog posts, and a poetry book, he could write a long form memoir with no ghostwriter or editor.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
In 2012 or 2013, Billy did an interview with Howard Stern where he made fun of D'arcy for wanting to become an actress while she was still in the band. He said he tried to tell her people train their whole lives to be actresses, and she should not assume that because she had talent and success in one art form, it would automatically transfer to another with no prior experience or training. Yet, here was Billy thinking that, because he wrote songs, some blog posts, and a poetry book, he could write a long form memoir with no ghostwriter or editor.

>>>

Old 04-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #13
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

The critical and commerce success of Blinking With Fists went to his head, he believed he could write anything.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #14
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

Quote:
The critical and commerce success of Blinking With Fists went to his head, he believed he could write anything.
I don't think there was any genuine critical success, not from people who actually know poetry.

I would be interested in reading-not buying- Billy's 'spiritual memoir' -or autobiography, as most non-pretentious people would call it. There aren't many books about the Pumpkins and he's an interesting, intelligent man/child/specimen/alien from the planet Narcissus.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 04-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #16
RAWK
Pledge

Quote:
Billy Corgan: Don't interrupt me. Ever.

I love it! So Billy!

Old 04-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #17
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWK View Post
Billy Corgan: Don't interrupt me. Ever.

I love it! So Billy!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #18
bright_doom
Ownz

I have a green folder sitting next to me containing the blog posts of www.everythingfromheretothere.com 2009-2010. Makes for a great read when I'm hungover and can't relate to anything..

Old 04-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #19
bright_doom
Ownz

I'm so glad I got into this band during 2008/teargarden/spiritual awakening phase. Now I can fade away in my own chemtrails and chimeras forever.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #20
SPLATTER
Demi-God

that bit about don't be fooled by car commercials... woa... mind blown.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Own up. Who brought Blinking With Fists?

Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #22
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post

Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #23
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post
It's easy to buy the right t-shirt, but if you don't want to be on it the kids are happy to buy something else.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #24
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
I bought it for a friend as a joke gift, so I'm complicit in encouraging him and I own up to that

If it helps any, I'm 100% sure neither my friend nor I opened the book

Old 04-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #25
Shallowed
Braindead

Wink

Quote:
Brought it where?

Old 04-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #26
FoolofaTook

everywhere (from hear to where)

Old 04-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #27
stripes
Apocalyptic Poster

Why in the fuck did you compile all this

Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #28
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
FISTING WITH FISTS

Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #29
NatureKid
Amish Rake Fighter

Hello, big Billy Corgan fan here. I believe I'm in the minority, but I actually enjoy Billy when he's being philosophical. He's actually quite a bright man. Unfortunately his new music hasn't been very good. Gish, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness are enough of a reason for me to keep up with my fandom though.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #30
FoolofaTook

LOL