Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
muzzled4life
Demi-God

Default Gems Of Zwan, Djali, True Poets Of

I have not posted in some time, but occasionally visit for a fix. In the spirit of good intentions and spreading appreciation ...just wanted to start a conversation of any feedback about the 'Zwan' era of music.

Mary Star had some good tunes, yet it seems a truer, more genuine energy came from live performances of the era vs. the album. At noticeable times, dear Billy still delivered an effortful, gutteral voice that rang true. Despite whatever friction may have existed in the band, there really was some quality tunes made.

Rivers We Cant Cross https://archive.org/details/zwan2002...release.flac16

Live Lies In Ruin https://archive.org/details/zwan2002-04-05.shnf

A New Poetry https://archive.org/details/zwan2003-01-23.km140.flac16 , nice little bass twang

Signal This Strong ( https://archive.org/details/zwan2002-04-12.shnf )

What Have They Done To Me https://archive.org/details/zwan2001-11-16.mk4.flac16

The Shining Path https://archive.org/details/zwan2001-11-16.mk4.flac16

Ring The Bells - Zwan Live at The Intersection on 2001-12-13

to name a few...not to mention The Hideout tracks that are special.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
muzzled4life
Demi-God

This one's pretty good too...

Friends and Lovers https://archive.org/details/zwan2003-02-08.flac16

Old 01-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

I always liked friends and lovers and loves lies in ruins. Shame the Djali Zwan songs never saw official releases/studio records aside from the bits we got from that shitty movie soundtrack. What movie was it? Spun? too lazy to look.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Zwan was Billy last chance to be relevant and earn respect. Instead of putting out an amazing album with a great band eh went all nutty with it with deer pictures, crazy band names, excuse not to put out a good album because it was all some huge plan...

The greatest most prolific work he ever did is hidden in those live shows. He shot himself in the foot with this one and never recovered.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
inkless
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzled4life View Post
This one's pretty good too...

Friends and Lovers https://archive.org/details/zwan2003-02-08.flac16
and for your love.....

Old 01-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

zwan's always been an enigma to me
so close to one of my favorite sp records in time/era yet makes so much less sense to me

it's like he was one of those... bouncer things, where you push it down & it flips up dramatically
just went to a totally different side of the game with that one, & aside from a few songs, i've never really dived into it as a whole

the Zwan Experience, that is

Old 01-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Can anyone give me a rough number on how many original songs Zwan played during their brief existance? 40? Seems like there's tons.

Probably the most frustrating period of Billy's career, this. Some say Zeitgeist could've been a great album had he picked the right songs which I always felt was a bit of a stretch. Zeitgeist could've been an ok album had he picked the right songs. Nothing more nothing less. Zwan on the other hand had potential to deliver a late-career masterpiece for Billy. Something on par with the best of the Pumpkins. He had the right band and he had the right songs.

It's mind-boggling how someone would just throw away Chrysanthemum, Glorious, The Empty Sea, Consumed etc. That's some Siamese Dream-level shit right there.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #8
glass85
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
Can anyone give me a rough number on how many original songs Zwan played during their brief existance? 40? Seems like there's tons.

Probably the most frustrating period of Billy's career, this. Some say Zeitgeist could've been a great album had he picked the right songs which I always felt was a bit of a stretch. Zeitgeist could've been an ok album had he picked the right songs. Nothing more nothing less. Zwan on the other hand had potential to deliver a late-career masterpiece for Billy. Something on par with the best of the Pumpkins. He had the right band and he had the right songs.

It's mind-boggling how someone would just throw away Chrysanthemum, Glorious, The Empty Sea, Consumed etc. That's some Siamese Dream-level shit right there.

I have 68 different Zwan songs.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
werideatdusk
Ownz

I think Adore is the last album where BC didn't totally botch the album and leave the good stuff off. Think about it, Machina 2 songs left off Machina, Zwan songs left off MSOTS, solo era stuff like Bit 5 and Tilt and everything else left off TFE, Stellar and Zeitgeist and Rose March and Gossamer left off Zeit, and now Burnt Orange Black and god knows what else left off MTAE.

Well, the Oceania era doesnt seem to have this mistake other than "Lonely is the Name" which I never thought was that amazing a song. I honestly think Lonely is the Name, and Ma Belle, along with a lot of those 2001 Zwan songs, are well-liked among the SP faithful more because they are reminiscent of the glory days than because they are that exceptional as songs.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass85 View Post
I have 68 different Zwan songs.
This appears correct:
http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/s...&song_display=

Old 01-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Just to echo the thoughts above. Rider was bang on.

Zwan could've walked into the studio 2002 and recorded a no-bullshit lo-fi live band performance of that Glass House show, put it out, and received the most critical acclaim and success Billy had since MCIS. Walked back into the studio the same year and put out a DJali Zwan album and then a third in '03 with F&L, RWCC, LLIR, Riverview. Those were the three stages of the band IIRC. Easily 3 decent albums worth.

Instead Billy went mad in the studio. They put out a record that was completely counter to the bands origins, to the alt-rock resurgence happening at the time. The band broke down because the others didn't sign up to be Billy Corgan's pop act. Billy trashes the project, blames everyone else and hordes the material.

Zwan was the last time Billy sang well and the last time his songwriting was consistent and prolific. The last time he worked with musicians that could contribute meaningfully (SP2 aside). There was an actual buzz and interest about the band but MSTOS (as much as I love it as an SP-fan) didn't stack up the live shows or where the music scene was heading. After that it's been misfire after misfire.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
werideatdusk
Ownz

THIS is the shit:

Old 01-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
glass85
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by werideatdusk View Post
I have all the songs listed there, except for 2 of which recordings don't exist or haven't surfaced.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Zwan could've walked into the studio 2002 and recorded a no-bullshit lo-fi live band performance of that Glass House show, put it out, and received the most critical acclaim and success Billy had since MCIS.
I like how the two songs they kept from the Glass House show were the most boring songs in the set

When I say 'like' I mean hate. Fucking hate.

Goddammit Billy.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember going to djali zwan at emerson in Indy. great show. i saw some guy there doing an audience video taping of it. wonder if that ever saw the light of day

Old 01-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #16
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Zwan could've walked into the studio 2002 and recorded a no-bullshit lo-fi live band performance of that Glass House show, put it out, and received the most critical acclaim and success Billy had since MCIS.
This is so true.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #17
slunken
Virgo

Quote:

Instead Billy went mad in the studio. They put out a record that was completely counter to the bands origins, to the alt-rock resurgence happening at the time. The band broke down because the others didn't sign up to be Billy Corgan's pop act. Billy trashes the project, blames everyone else and hordes the material.

i've said it before and it is all elliott roberts fault and billy's for hiring him to manage.