Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2018, 11:27 PM   #271
fuzzyroes
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Solara is the worst one out of the 3 new songs.
Nah, this song is worse.

Here's my ranking of the 3 new songs

Silvery Sometimes (ghosts)>>>Solara>>>Knights of Malt Liquor (fuzzy's anthem)

Old 11-08-2018, 12:36 AM   #272
Dominion
Pledge

I remember a time when I'd hear a new SP track and think to myself, "wow! Love it! " Then I'd start dissecting it to find any possible faults, because most of the time the songs were written to almost perfection.. Now, sadly I have to listen to the new tracks just to try and dissect them to find something even remotely likeable.. The writing is awful, the vibrato is awful, the production is awful and Billys stubbornness and narcissism is bursting out of the bloated, overproduced mediocre so called songs

Old 11-08-2018, 12:40 AM   #273
fuzzyroes
Braindead

Yeah, listening to Smashing Pumpkins now is like watching a former all-star athlete performing in their 40's during the end of their career.

It's like yeah, you might run into one and pick up a home run here and there, but maybe it's time to hang up the cleats.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #274
Dominion
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah, listening to Smashing Pumpkins now is like watching a former all-star athlete performing in their 40's during their last season.

It's like yeah, you might run into one and pick up a home run here and there, but maybe it's time to hang up the cleats.
Loving the analogy 👍

Old 11-08-2018, 12:53 AM   #275
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster

They are in their 50's now...

And I don't understand the excitement about their "Shiny and oh so Bright" tour too, which had the energy of grumpy old men, compared to their shows of the nineties.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:04 AM   #276
fuzzyroes
Braindead

Yeah, the show seemed kinda bloated... Too many stoppages. I like it best when bands just rip through a set and get into a groove.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #277
fuzzyroes
Braindead

Found a new review on Tweeter... Unfortunately for me and the fellow fans, it doesn't sound promising....

"stanmemake3
5 points
13 hours ago

Went to NYC listening party last night... Ummm, what can I say...

Rick Rubin's imprint is all over this album

Super over-produced, more than any other SP album.

With Sympathy is a solid track along with Silvery.

Alienation is the weakest track by a long way.

Was a little disappointed that Jimmy is not showcased at all except on Solara.

Guitars aren't a focal point, this album is all about the songwriting and instrumentation beyond what the band could play live.

Billy's vocals are right out front but we all knew that that would be the case with Rubin."

Old 11-09-2018, 12:26 AM   #278
fuzzyroes
Braindead

"If I had to review it for you it would be this: the album's called Shiny and oh so bright. This album is exactly that, very Shiny in production and bright in disposition. The emotional dynamic isn't a rollercoaster like MCIS or SD. If you could bottle the feel of the recent live show into an album, this is it."

Sounds like the long anticipated reunion album is gonna be more happy go-lucky Smashing Pumpkins music

Old 11-09-2018, 12:29 AM   #279
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Found a new review on Tweeter... Unfortunately for me and the fellow fans, it doesn't sound promising....

"stanmemake3
5 points
13 hours ago

Went to NYC listening party last night... Ummm, what can I say...

Rick Rubin's imprint is all over this album

Guitars aren't a focal point, this album is all about the songwriting and instrumentation beyond what the band could play live.

Billy's vocals are right out front but we all knew that that would be the case with Rubin."
Link?

Old 11-09-2018, 12:30 AM   #280
fuzzyroes
Braindead

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPum...leased/e9aj6oo

Old 11-09-2018, 12:34 AM   #281
fuzzyroes
Braindead

Oops I said twitter, I meant Reddit

Old 11-09-2018, 02:02 AM   #282
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Thanks. Made it into an article. Pumpkins' new publicist can shove it for not sending my reporter the album early!

https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...-early-review/

Old 11-09-2018, 03:02 AM   #283
enthusaroo
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
Thanks. Made it into an article. Pumpkins' new publicist can shove it for not sending my reporter the album early!

They've been watching you on here. And they don't like what they see.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:34 AM   #284
smashingjj
mother rater

A Reddit comment is worthy of an article now? I should get on there

Old 11-09-2018, 04:53 AM   #285
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

From Buttcannon to Butthurt

Old 11-09-2018, 05:00 AM   #286
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Old 11-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #287
brothahi4L
Demi-God

Lol all these brown nosing so called hardcore fans on insta dissing those who do not like the sp sound if the last 12 years are so fake.

I wished it was produced like machina 2. Raw, dirty, lo-fi.

This billy piggy front vocals and the polished sound are horrible.

Funny how bolly frequently disses the fans who prefer old pumpkins

Old 11-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #288
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

CoS review

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...so-bright/amp/

Quote:
The Verdict: It’s been a lonely 18 years for Corgan, filled with all sorts of unpredictable twists and turns commercially, critically, and culturally. Be it sour grapes, impossible compromises, or simply shitty cell phone service, Corgan has mostly been toiling away by his lonesome, trying to sell the Pumpkins name as his own spectacle. To his credit, he’s never been one to lean on the past, and say what you will about his execution, but his attempts have all at least been in the service of forging ahead towards some kind of future that doesn’t stand directly on ceremony.

Strangely enough, everything that Corgan was trying to run away from is what might move him forward. Although his roots are in the Midwest, he’s long dreamed of being the big LA rock star, playing arenas and saving the world. (For Christ’s sake, he wrote an entire concept album about it.) Those days are long gone — that’s less his fault and more a sign of the times — but he’s never been closer to that fantasy. After all, they’re playing arenas. They’re doing late-night shows. They’re working with Rick Rubin. It’s a magical time for Corgan, who no longer sounds as if he’s singing in an echo chamber.

But reuniting takes time. People change — artists especially — and it’d be foolish to assume that three friends, torn apart by bitterness and rage, would just somehow all of a sudden strike up the same ol’ magic. That was never going to happen, no matter how many bathrobes Rubin gave them in Malibu, but it’s certainly proven to be a start. After all, how else do you explain a song like “Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts)”? It might not be the same magic, but something magical is coursing through Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1., hinting at a future we can all embrace — especially Corgan.

Essential Tracking: “Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts)”, “With Sympathy”, and “Travels”

Old 11-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #289
srt4b
Ownz

Wow, album getting trashed in reviews so far.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #290
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Trashed? That was a positive review wtf

Old 11-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #291
brothahi4L
Demi-God

Lol. Most reviews say that it' s overproduced with billy vocals up front.
Malta and solata crap. Silvery good.

I bet it s gonna be shitty.

Funny how many positive feed billy got for silvery.
Almost none for solara and only a few for malta.
This alone prooves how people received the first 3 songs.

Billy only posts some negative comments on ig to insult his fans.

I like the choir on malta but the wohohos are sung so badly and after a few malta listens i must say that the song is annoying as fuck.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #292
Kahlo
BAN HAMMER.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
Wow, album getting trashed in reviews so far.
Yep, they made it their album of the week. They must REALLY hate it.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #293
enthusaroo
Ownz

I guess Travels and With Sympathy will be good.. like most people have said.. and the rest are throwaways.. with Silvery Sometimes being their generic Try Try Try that reminds people of old Pumpkins.

We'll know very soon.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #294
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
From Buttcannon to Butthurt
The butt hurts after it fires a cannon.

I actually posted a very positive review a week or so ago I found from a European magazine, and I called Knights of Malta 'epic' in a headline because I thought it'd held it get some clicks.

https://www.alternativenation.net/fi...-bright-vol-1/

If they'd sent a press copy to my reporter, he probably would have written a positive review. In place of that though I found a Reddit post about the album, and chose the overproduced headline since it was the most interesting part about the post.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #295
FoolofaTook
Immortal

Quote:

Old 11-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #296
lightdark
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:

I actually posted a very positive review a week or so ago I found from a European magazine, and I called Knights of Malta 'epic' in a headline because I thought it'd held it get some clicks.

https://www.alternativenation.net/fi...-bright-vol-1/

If they'd sent a press copy to my reporter, he probably would have written a positive review. In place of that though I found a Reddit post about the album, and chose the overproduced headline since it was the most interesting part about the post.
LOL if you are seriously surprised that they didn't send someone from your website an advanced copy, you must be smoking something pretty strong. You know all those comments about clickbait headlines that Corgan has derided for years? You are the literal embodiment of that. If you could make an exaggerated cartoon of everything that Corgan hates in the media, it would look exactly like you.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #297
FoolofaTook
Immortal

that's not very nice

Old 11-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #298
lightdark
Oblivious Virgin

Perhaps not, but it's true. Take a hop over to AltNation, check out a bunch of Brett's headlines and then read the articles. It's rife. Plus, now I've balanced that bad karma out, because I'm encouraging you to give him clicks.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #299
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdark View Post
LOL if you are seriously surprised that they didn't send someone from your website an advanced copy, you must be smoking something pretty strong. You know all those comments about clickbait headlines that Corgan has derided for years? You are the literal embodiment of that. If you could make an exaggerated cartoon of everything that Corgan hates in the media, it would look exactly like you.
Google and Facebook are the embodiment of it online. My headlines are formatted specifically for their algorithms. If I could format my headlines differently and do this for a living, I would. It's a business. Everybody has to deal with it in 2018.

Billy decided to do a greatest hits tour to fill arenas when he said for years he wouldn't. More power to him. It's a business.

AN was actually pretty complimentary of MTAE and Ogilala. We named both some of the top albums of 2014 and 2017. If you're using the D'arcy stuff to try to show I'm anti-Billy, that's me doing my job in reporting what the original bass player of the band had to say, just like I report what he has to say. My criticisms of him are never personal, I don't know the guy and have only spent maybe an hour and a half of my life talking to him.

Reviews don't really get big traffic unless you do something over the top like Pitchfork's Greta Van Fleet review, so I don't really care personally about not getting some advance album, it's moreso for my reporters who actually do care. If they're not sending it, that's just business, just like us posting the most interesting positive and negative reviews is.

Also the current PR was just hired a month or two ago. Billy tends to go through 2-3 publicists per year when he is musically active. He went through at least 3 I think during the MTAE/In Plainsong era a few years ago I think.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #300
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan

Location: When the topic turns to the bassist, Corgan becomes uneasy.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdark View Post
this man

is on

a mission