Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #31
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

I'm telling you this album is not coming out. He's already abandoned the nexus site and is moving on. It's his same old pattern all over again.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #32
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

what about BMG, though. can he just drop out and say "fuck this contract" - without losing money?
would be easier to give even less of a fuck than for MTAE, hit the studio for a few days, mix another 10 pop songs - done.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #33
Cowlishaw
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I'm telling you this album is not coming out. He's already abandoned the nexus site and is moving on. It's his same old pattern all over again.
What gimmick will he move onto next?

-An 3 part EP within an album within an album
-A album woven into a movie
-A book of poetry that he wants fans to interpret through music and then write an essay about
-He watched Boyhood and is inspired to write a song that will take 10 years to write, releasing segments of the song every year
-A reboot of Siamese Dream
-A black guy in the band

Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #34
chuckhagel
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowlishaw View Post
What gimmick will he move onto next?

-An 3 part EP within an album within an album
-A album woven into a movie
-A book of poetry that he wants fans to interpret through music and then write an essay about
-He watched Boyhood and is inspired to write a song that will take 10 years to write, releasing segments of the song every year
-A reboot of Siamese Dream
-A black guy in the band
I wonder if Bill has ever tried a black guy?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:36 AM   #35
werideatdusk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
I hate to say this but if Billy TRULY wants to make music that teenagers like, then he has to put down the electric guitar and find a beat that people can dance to.
agree with this. Adore and TFE were received poorly at the time, but they represent a much more fruitful trajectory than what BC is doing now, mining the sonic terrain already covered better in the 91-95 era.

no wonder Dorian is one of the top listened to on youtube.

it wouldnt surprise me if Eye eventually becomes one of the biggest SP songs with younger fans, above even BWBW and Today

Old 01-20-2015, 03:54 AM   #36
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

It should be obvious to anyone that he's just flip flopping/ being a dick because he doesn't know which direction the new album "needs" to go.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:55 AM   #37
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

http://www.lauryndoll.com/wp-content...ing-a-book.gif

Old 01-20-2015, 04:05 AM   #38
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/fmc.gif

Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #39
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

fuck that remix... diddy & the 'tunes shoulda produced all of adore!

check it, pharrell's a "zero," too

damn, mind tripped

Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #40
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

http://replygif.net/i/334.gif

Old 01-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #41
pumpkinfan1988
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
I hate to say this but if Billy TRULY wants to make music that teenagers like, then he has to put down the electric guitar and find a beat that people can dance to.
Thats a bunch of bullshit. You can create any good tune you want with the guitar. The guitar is still around and its not going anywhere. Its just a matter of creating a song that connects to the listeners, thats whats sort of been lacking.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #42
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
In the last interview he did he said it was going to be a hard rock album, like something he would listen to when he was a teenager (as opposed to the "art rock" album he had planned to make D4N).

Does he believe that the reason MTAE didn't do so well was because it wasn't "pop" enough? Or maybe he honestly believes MTAE was a commercial success and he's going to push the pop aspects of it even further? Fuck knows what's going on in that head of his. It's clear that he doesn't have any clear direction or vision for these albums.
erm, excuse me but you wouldn't be doubting that this isn't all part of the grand all-encompassing TbK vision would you?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #43
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by werideatdusk View Post
agree with this. Adore and TFE were received poorly at the time, but they represent a much more fruitful trajectory than what BC is doing now, mining the sonic terrain already covered better in the 91-95 era.

no wonder Dorian is one of the top listened to on youtube.

it wouldnt surprise me if Eye eventually becomes one of the biggest SP songs with younger fans, above even BWBW and Today
you've got to be kidding. TFE sold about 70k copies and corgan felt so strongly about it that he effectively killed it the day it was released.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #44
werideatdusk
Ownz

i didnt say TFE is not without its problems - and yeah clearly it was not a hit record... i'm just saying that a more electronic direction had more potential in the long run than what he's ended up doing, going back to an attempt at the old SP sound.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:33 AM   #45
werideatdusk
Ownz

though I have to agree that the issue is that his music is not really honest anymore, and even if it were, it'd be honest to his life now, which is a very strange one.
(oh is that what LOVER YOURE STRANGE is all about?)
I think you can point to some SP2 songs that actually carry some emotional weight - Stellar, Tom Tom, Panopticon, Oceania, Drum + Fife.... but the majority of the released songs have been designed to fit the bill of a hit single, as opposed to being designed to be emotionally honest and powerful.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:58 AM   #46
GLOWer
Demi-God

i hope this hasn't been scrapped.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #47
Ram27
dumb

There hasn't been an SP song with emotional weight since Untitled

Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #48
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

mabelle had somethin goin for it

Old 01-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #49
run2pee
Minion of Satan

It's so hard to care about day for night after reading bill's recent batshit interviews whining about unimportant stuff, contradicting himself, and refusing to take responsibility. Hell, his attitude has pretty much ruined monuments for me, which I initially enjoyed for what it was. I feel like I did around about when we got the one two punch of the unlistenable zeitgeist/news of jimmy leaving. I can't think of another artist who makes it so tough with his antics/attitude to like the music I would otherwise be heavily inclined to enjoy.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #50
in stereo
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Hell, his attitude has pretty much ruined monuments for me
The terrible songs ruined it for me.

I'm hoping Billy hangs it up and doesn't release D4N.

Maybe he could take a few years off, live life in his mansion with his cats, hit the treadmill, and get back to writing after a break. Dude is batshit crazy. Basically everything he does/says alienates everyone, even his dwindling fanbase. Best to stop the bleeding and walk away for a while.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #51
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
mabelle had somethin goin for it
Yes, Mabelle, Stellar, and to a certain extent That's the Way with that guitar solo.

Unless we're talking lyrically of course, then I'd say TTW is off the table.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #52
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I don't know anybody who "received" Adore negatively at the time it was launched. All my SP fan friends at the time liked it. I think all the core fans who were there before SD and MCIS were there for Adore.

It didn't sell 10 million copies, but I feel like the narrative that Adore was hated or maligned is more a matter of Bill's historical revisionism than fact. And that shows you how much he then and now associates his self worth with record sales. For all his blathering about being culturally relevant what it comes down to is that he feels loved when people are kissing his ass. And in the record industry the easiest way to get your salad tossed is to sell units.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #53
myosis
Minion of Satan

kids my age who thought SP rocked were not much into adore... in 1998 Korn was getting big around here, and that's the kind of stuff the high school senior crowd was naturally gearing toward.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #54
Ram27
dumb

(I'm a senior in high school and) I was talking to some people a couple days ago and got straight up laughed at when I said that SP was my favorite band (and that JC was one of the greatest drummers of all time)

so yeah

Old 01-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #55
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
(I'm a senior in high school and) I was talking to some people a couple days ago and got straight up laughed at when I said that SP was my favorite band (and that JC was one of the greatest drummers of all time)

so yeah
Hate to tell you but yeah it's really sad that your a senior in high school in 2015 and SP is your favorite band. It's would be like some in HS in 1994 telling me Styx was their favorite band.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #56
Elphenor
Braindead

That's stupid, not conforming to whatever the current musical trend is does not equal "sad"

Old 01-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #57
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
That's stupid, not conforming to whatever the current musical trend is does not equal "sad"
Who sad anything about conforming?

Being into silly washed up bands that embarrassed themselves is the point.

Also really. Youth it's time to move on. Find something new. It' all the same pop and rock cliches for for 60-70 years now.

And trust me this not some lame oh things were so much better when I was young rant. The 90's are embarrassing nothing but lame warmed over classic rock.

There was a time when youth rejected the past, created their own thing and frightened their parents.

I just look at it all now and it's just the same lame shit kids were doing when I was there age, the same shit kids who are in their 60's now where doing.

And really you have what 70 years of popular music to choose from and the Pumpkins are what you latch onto?

Sorry but that's just endlessly lame and sad.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #58
Elphenor
Braindead

I agree that he needs to expand his horizons but I don't think there's anything wrong with listing The Pumpkins as your favorite. Just a really good band.

The youth that frightened their parents are the type of people who spent a lot of time listening to past music popular or not.

I think SP and the like are considered vulgar right now among youth because they were popular when their parents were in high school.
But like Joy Division and The Cure are still cool because your Dad doesn't know who they are

Old 01-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #59
Elphenor
Braindead

Having a "favorite band" is more the dumb part of it

Old 01-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #60
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Having a "favorite band" is more the dumb part of it
Let's just agree that being in High School and saying your favorite band is Smashing Pumpkins and talking about Jimmy the way he dose here is inviting problems.