Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
ChrisHill
Pledge

Default Audio Restoration Software?

I'm looking to convert some old cassettes to CD (no rare Pumpkins stuff, sorry to disappoint) and am wondering if any of you have a favorite app for noise/hiss reduction that's easy to use and either free or reasonably priced. Thanks.

"This falls in the 'hit song' category"---BC, 8/10/88

Old 02-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHill
I'm looking to convert some old cassettes to CD (no rare Pumpkins stuff, sorry to disappoint) and am wondering if any of you have a favorite app for noise/hiss reduction that's easy to use and either free or reasonably priced. Thanks.
there's always some good ol' warez

Old 02-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

www.projectw.org is the site you need to use... applicationz board

Unless you know what you're doing you're not going to be able to just hit a button and get what you want... but if you know anything about audio you can easily do this.

Steinberg Wavelab (fairly easy to clean up audio with)

if you really wanna get anal and play around a bit download Cubase SX3 and download a couple of noise reduction/filter VST's

Old 03-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Rhinoceros
Pledge

There's a software called ChrisHill is a little whiny faggot. You should get it, it might benefit you.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
ChrisHill
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko
www.projectw.org is the site you need to use... applicationz board

Unless you know what you're doing you're not going to be able to just hit a button and get what you want... but if you know anything about audio you can easily do this.

Steinberg Wavelab (fairly easy to clean up audio with)

if you really wanna get anal and play around a bit download Cubase SX3 and download a couple of noise reduction/filter VST's
Thanks for the recommendations. I got Steinberg Wavelab from the site you mentioned and the first show I've done so far turned out beautiful.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. I got Steinberg Wavelab from the site you mentioned and the first show I've done so far turned out beautiful.
that site has tons of warez... tons of great movies... tons of musak as well

best site on the net hands down

Old 03-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #7
dean moriaty
lion of saloons

what shows are you working on?

Old 03-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #8
ChrisHill
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean moriaty
what shows are you working on?
I bought about 6 tapes worth of old soundboard Less than Jake shows from a former member of the band back in 1999 that have been sitting around my apartment for years. They don't have nearly the taping community that the Pumpkins have, so it's much more difficult to find any live LTJ material, never mind early soundboard recordings, so I figured it was high time I preserved these tapes at least well enough so that I can enjoy them.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:05 AM   #9
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
I bought about 6 tapes worth of old soundboard Less than Jake shows from a former member of the band back in 1999 that have been sitting around my apartment for years. They don't have nearly the taping community that the Pumpkins have, so it's much more difficult to find any live LTJ material, never mind early soundboard recordings, so I figured it was high time I preserved these tapes at least well enough so that I can enjoy them.

AHHHH something like needs to be worked on by someone who knows what they are doing. Try going to site a site like the traders den and asking in the tech fourm for someone to so the work for you. If you let software do the work for you it's like making them into mp3's only worse.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Bobbin TB
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
no rare Pumpkins stuff, sorry to disappoint.
you bastard.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #11
dean moriaty
lion of saloons

rider has a point i think. at least make sure that you keep a copy of the unadulterated rip and put your info in the txt file saying you have it and your email so people can always get back to you for that if they think they'd rather have the original or can do a better job if you know what i mean. i guess if they don't really have a trading community it's not so much of a deal but i'd always suggest putting stuff out in as high a quality as possible first time rather than upgrades.

all that said it's great that you're actually putting it out there for people who want it, that's the main thing

Old 03-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
rider has a point i think. at least make sure that you keep a copy of the unadulterated rip and put your info in the txt file saying you have it and your email so people can always get back to you for that if they think they'd rather have the original or can do a better job if you know what i mean. i guess if they don't really have a trading community it's not so much of a deal but i'd always suggest putting stuff out in as high a quality as possible first time rather than upgrades.

all that said it's great that you're actually putting it out there for people who want it, that's the main thing

Actually I think it's more important for people to preserve shows by bands that don't have a large trading community. There are 100's of us Pumpkins traders if I need to track something down easy no problem, try finding out info or a non mp3 sourced copy of the few Superchunk shows out there.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
ChrisHill
Pledge

Quote:

Rider, I will look into having someone clean the tapes up well. I was planning on keeping a copy of my original transfer anyway, since I certainly know there are people who can do a better job than me with this.

To give you some idea of the LTJ trading community, it is almost impossible to find anything of theirs that isn't mp3 sourced. They have (or at least they used to have) quite a large following among vinyl collectors, but it's always been very difficult to track down anyone who tapes their shows. These shows are the equivalent of the Pumpkins community tracking down 3/16/89 both in terms of sound quality and earliness into the band's career. Should be cool.