Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 03:27 AM   #211
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

With 20k sales you also have to take into consideration that it's hard to even find CD's anymore unless you're going to your city's hip record store downtown. Usually you have to go to Target for a mainstream band's new CD. Best Buy's music section has dwindled to almost nothing and half the time they don't even have any SP albums in stock anyways. Couple that with no strong single for radio play and the general public probably have little idea that a new Smashing Pumpkins album has even come out.

Most people won't even buy the CD even if they like it. They just stream it on Spotify or even youtube.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:29 AM   #212
Elphenor
Braindead

Old 12-17-2014, 03:33 AM   #213
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

amazon isn't really hard to find, though.
I'm still baffled that I saw so many music news articles going "woa foos topselling album" the last couple of weeks, and they sold only 25k?

Old 12-17-2014, 03:38 AM   #214
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The FF album only sold 25k? Dave Grohl is A LOT richer than Billy and has more money to put into promotional campaigns, not to mention people find him much more likable than Billy. And the public considers the FF a band, whereas Smashing Pumpkins is that weird uncle fester rat in a cage guy.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #215
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

http://m.billboard.com/articles/colu...o-1-third-week

According to this billboard article the Foo's sold 190,000.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:43 AM   #216
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

well that's what I'm asking. on billboard alternative album charts, foos is on #1, pumpkins not yet in the top 15.

on this other site with actual numbers, pumpkins are around 22k, and foos 25k.
they must use different sale scans, otherwise I really don't get it.
fuck it, all this Corgan talk about salessalessales is like a virus, and I caught it.

this site, I thought that's the source of the allegedly bad sales of MTAE with "only" 22k
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Old 12-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #217
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Dave Grohl is A LOT richer than Billy .
I try to mostly ignore foos since... since in your honor, I mean it's a no-brainer that Grohl is well off, but I had no idea how rich, so I had a look just now. $260 million dollars? fucking hell, that's Corgan x 5

Old 12-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #218
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

The 24k is the amount the Foo's sold just this past week.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #219
pavementtune

ah, okay.
well I'm too tired, but on upcoming releaes, they count everything before release date?
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/sales_ur.cgi

SMASHING PUMPKINS MONUMENTS TO AN ELEGY 06.19.12 53,000

so plus the 22k that makes 75k for MTAE so far?

Last edited by pavementtune : 12-17-2014 at 03:57 AM.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #220
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm not sure what you mean. Anything with the "--" indicates its debut numbers for the first week. Those are the final numbers (notice the top right corner in red text).

Old 12-17-2014, 04:01 AM   #221
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I try to mostly ignore foos since... since in your honor, I mean it's a no-brainer that Grohl is well off, but I had no idea how rich, so I had a look just now. $260 million dollars? fucking hell, that's Corgan x 5
He's the third richest drummer in the world after Ringo Starr and Phil Collins

Old 12-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #222
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. Anything with the "--" indicates its debut numbers for the first week. Those are the final numbers (notice the top right corner in red text).
yes, but those are the numbers since release date, for total numbers wouldn't you have to add these (on the page upcoming releases) - "previous first week" - 53,000

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/sales_ur.cgi?pfw

Old 12-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #223
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

When they says "previous first week" on that site I'm pretty sure they're referring to the bands previous album's first week sales numbers (ie: Oceania's first week sales)

Old 12-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #224
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
yes, but those are the numbers since release date, for total numbers wouldn't you have to add these (on the page upcoming releases) - "previous first week" - 53,000

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/sales_ur.cgi?pfw
I see. Those are Oceania's numbers. It sold 53k in its debut and overall it has sold 139k.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:09 AM   #225
pavementtune

fuck, you are right. I should have looked at the date - 06.19.12. no 75k sales then. sigh.
somehow I'd like to see better sales just because I don't want the next album to be some kind of "fuck you, you didn't buy it, now this is revenge"songs

Old 12-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #226
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I know what you mean, these things really seem to affect his mood. He's a very reactive personality. I really didn't think it would do this badly.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:22 AM   #227
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah, every album since Machina has been a reaction to his previous albums performance sales-wise. I don't know if I've ever seen an artist who is so hung up on it either. He needs to just make music and stop worrying about it. Unless you're some female pop singer or ultra groomed metrosexual male singer you are not going to sell records in this day and age, period.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:22 AM   #228
pavementtune

obviously I didn't expect sales like this either, otherwise I might not be so desperate to add Oceania to it haha.

Corgan's knee jerk reaction aside, he made it on the list, there are fantastic 2014 albums out there that came nowhere near.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:31 AM   #229
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

True, but this will probably spur his "this is the last sp album" line of thinking. Which is a shame, really. Because even after everything, perhaps foolishly, I held out some hope that Billy would mature and just focus on music, great music, and really hone his writing. It's really quite regrettable that Billy didnt spend time on crafting his lyrics and creating a wider palette of songs for MTAE. This is where tailoring his music for the millenials has gotten him; they just don't fucking care and they never will. It was a fool's journey (or errand, depending on which way you want to look at it).

Old 12-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #230
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Most young people, 20 years old and under, have absolutely no clue who Smashing Pumpkins or Billy Corgan are. Teenagers that actually listen to rock listen to all those crappy Suicide Silence/Bring Me the Horizon type screamo bands. My wife is a high school art teacher and plays Spotify while the kids are working on art and they'll often ask who it is when SP comes on. It's really surprising who they consider to be good bands too from what she tells me. They actually think that stuff like Linkin Park and Evanesence is good.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:52 AM   #231
pavementtune

I laughed tears a few days ago, we were looking through books with a 3 year old, and he said "that is Billy Corgan, right?" - while pointing at a picture of a Buddha statue.
but besides that obviously family influenced fucked little kid, I hardly ever hear teens going on about any rock type band, they listen to Caribou and stuff like that.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #232
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

I find the average young person has awful taste, some do develop better taste or grow up around others that do, but many never do. Most of the time they just listen to whatever everyone else is listening to, especially in high school. As far as rock music is concerned, the only band I hear 20 year olds really talk about is the Arcade Fire. Which explains how they're able to sell out arenas even with relatively low album sales.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #233
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Billy Corgan:
"I haven't seen this level of momentum from the fan base probably since Mellon Collie."

Old 12-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #234
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
I find the average young person has awful taste, some do develop better taste or grow up around others that do, but many never do. Most of the time they just listen to whatever everyone else is listening to, especially in high school. As far as rock music is concerned, the only band I hear 20 year olds really talk about is the Arcade Fire. Which explains how they're able to sell out arenas even with relatively low album sales.
It has nothing to do with age, most people just forever have pleb tastes.

Not everyone cares about music that much and most people don't connect with weirdo artists

Old 12-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #235
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

But that's where it starts, with every generation. Chance are, if you don't start expanding your tastes by your late teens to 20s, then it's never going to happen. Those years are probably the most crucial in developing a deeper and lasting connection with music.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #236
chuckhagel
Pledge

Quote:
obviously I didn't expect sales like this either, otherwise I might not be so desperate to add Oceania to it haha.

Corgan's knee jerk reaction aside, he made it on the list, there are fantastic 2014 albums out there that came nowhere near.
you really are a panty waist

Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #237
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Most young people, 20 years old and under, have absolutely no clue who Smashing Pumpkins or Billy Corgan are. Teenagers that actually listen to rock listen to all those crappy Suicide Silence/Bring Me the Horizon type screamo bands. My wife is a high school art teacher and plays Spotify while the kids are working on art and they'll often ask who it is when SP comes on. It's really surprising who they consider to be good bands too from what she tells me. They actually think that stuff like Linkin Park and Evanesence is good.
the irony being both of those bands being directly influenced by sp

then again, both of those were two of the "big deal" bands when i was 11, so the fact that that's still the popular rock music? i don't know, would be like if sp had maintained their siamese mellon status throughout the early-to-mid 00s

we ALL knew who the smashing pumpkins & billy were in those days though, fans or not, i guess that was the difference

Last edited by Mals Marola : 12-17-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #238
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Do we know... What numbers did Look to the Sky sell?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #239
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Do we have official numbers yet? Looks like it didn't do as bad as people here thought.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #240
The Pump King
Pledge

The Foo Fighters album has been out for over a month now. It sold over 200,000 in North America in its first week.

I think it's the first truly shitty Foo Fighters album, by the way. That said, it's been a huge commercial success.