Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #211
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
ah come on. We all know JC is a fantastic drummer and made a difference. However to believe that all it takes to turn this track into a masterpiece is JC instead of Tommy - is wishful thinking. The drums are the last part that needs improvement here.

This thread and the 90% hyper positive feedback makes me afraid to even say that much.
I know, I know

I was just watching that and thought it was funny and somewhat relevant

Old 11-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #212
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinstrom3 View Post
So then it looks like we will also be getting Drum + Fife in two weeks as well.
I'm actually pretty excited for that one

"I will bang this drum until my dying day" sounds like a pretty badass line. It's the only thing associated with this album that actually got stuck in my head. And that's just from reading it in an article. Hope Corgan's delivery doesn't ruin it

Hope it doesn't suck

Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #213
Stinstrom3
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I'm actually pretty excited for that one

"I will bang this drum until my dying day" sounds like a pretty badass line. It's the only thing associated with this album that actually got stuck in my head. And that's just from reading it in an article. Hope Corgan's delivery doesn't ruin it

Hope it doesn't suck
Agreed. His lyrics have been pretty poor but I'm holding out hope that at least Drum + Fife plus a few other songs will be better in that department.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #214
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Nobody liked Adore when it came out but today we can admit that is pretty pretty good album.

Do you people realise Oceania or this tracks dont go anywhere ever, right?

You turn on the radio for an hour now, and you will get easily half dozen songs with more quality than this.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #215
Order 66
Socialphobic

I likes it... guitar tone is more muscular and thrashy than anything from zeitgeist, which was supposed to be a "return to form" to stoner rock, or whatever you want to call it

not exactly earth shattering. but i'm more hopeful for this album than i was for oceania. seems like it'll do its own thing instead of being an homage to past work, like zeitgeist was an attempted return to RAWK as oceania was to the psychedelic shoegazy stuff. and that's all i've ever wanted the past seven years. not even something good per se, just something different

Old 11-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #216
GLOWer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I likes it... guitar tone is more muscular and thrashy than anything from zeitgeist, which was supposed to be a "return to form" to stoner rock, or whatever you want to call it

not exactly earth shattering. but i'm more hopeful for this album than i was for oceania. seems like it'll do its own thing instead of being an homage to past work, like zeitgeist was an attempted return to RAWK as oceania was to the psychedelic shoegazy stuff. and that's all i've ever wanted the past seven years. not even something good per se, just something different
i'm definitely appreciating the different guitar tone and how it seems like it could be the same throughout the entirety of monuments. that's nice. it's cohesive and new to this era.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #217
fuzzyroes
Banned

Well this song is certainly a pleasant surprise! Tommy Lee is such a breath of fresh air. Any of the Byrne apologists need to listen to the sonic elements of these first 2 tracks and tell me that Tommy doesn't just blow the kid outta the water.

Great guitar tone and cool riff . Corgans singing is pretty decent too. Love the tasteful little lead lick that comes in around the 3:25 mark.

All and all it kind of reminds me of some Zeitgeist stuff but actually mixed properly... I'm suddenly cautiously optimistic about the rest of the album!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #218
fuzzyroes
Banned

only constructive criticism that I could add is it would have been nice to see a little more lead guitar variance during the 2nd half of the track. Just something to switch it up a little bit.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #219
Stinstrom3
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Well this song is certainly a pleasant surprise! Tommy Lee is such a breath of fresh air. Any of the Byrne apologists need to listen to the sonic elements of these first 2 tracks and tell me that Tommy doesn't just blow the kid outta the water.

Great guitar tone and cool riff . Corgans singing is pretty decent too. Love the tasteful little lead lick that comes in around the 3:25 mark.

All and all it kind of reminds me of some Zeitgeist stuff but actually mixed properly... I'm suddenly cautiously optimistic about the rest of the album!
The drums still sound thin to me. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about drums but just something about the sound that doesn't have a lot of power to it. Maybe its the mix or my ignorance on it but I don't hear a ton of difference between this and Mikes playing.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #220
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Maybe its the mix or my ignorance on it but I don't hear a ton of difference between this and Mikes playing.
The difference is that I'm nodding my head to it.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #221
GLOWer
Demi-God

the drumming is great on both tracks. noticeably good.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #222
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
The drums still sound thin to me. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about drums but just something about the sound that doesn't have a lot of power to it. Maybe its the mix or my ignorance on it but I don't hear a ton of difference between this and Mikes playing.
The drumming still sucks... if no one told me Tommy Lee was performing, I'd think Mike Byrne was still in the group. Crappy generic drumming. Add to that a crappy record producer and guess what you get? Another crappy sounding track.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #223
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

The guitar sounds great, but you're waiting for it to take off, and it ends up sounding like lead guitar parts I would write. Nothing terrible, but generally pedestrian.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #224
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

It is like corgan just pooped it out.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #225
T&T
Socialphobic

when's the next song coming out?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #226
Kid Mothman
Amish Rake Fighter

The guitars and mix sound good, though squashed to piss. I'm excited to hear this one FLAC'd off.

The song itself isn't doing much for me. If there was an Old Navy exclusive version of Zeitgeist, this would have been on it. I can't pinpoint why, but it reminds me of Come On Let's Go (which I actually enjoy.)

I love how I have already accepted that he'll never sing like the old days again, but every time I hear the vox come in on a new song, it still startles me.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #227
antiskum
Demi-God

i actually quite like this.

pretty simple sorta song, and he continues to repeat lyrics a bit too much. but production & guitar tone is probably his best since... i dunno, machina i guess. for some reason also kinda gives me some dino jr vibes.

really wish he'd bring back the old vocals/snarl tho.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:48 AM   #228
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
it's the pumpkins buttrock album a few years after buttrock was popular

Old 11-06-2014, 02:59 AM   #229
Trotskilicious
Banned

this thread is really a testament to who actually appreciate the pumpkins vs the people who seem to just hate them for personal reasons

what i notice is that the people who like it post on the gen board

and the people who don't are the obsessives that only post on this board

i think this sounds like a pop song! a catchy one that has a nice guitar tone. tommy lee sounds p good. it's okay!

i love reading the reasons you guys hate it, it's basically this huge grab bag of all the elements in the song and some that aren't even there. the stuff about geek usa classic sp board. ram27's cherrypicking of youtube comments is especially amusing. like why would you spend time finding the ugliest comments on there?

bill should have ripped a big ass guitar solo in there right after about 1:30 or 2:00 biggest critique i have before i get a chance to really look at what the lyrics say because someone did have a good point if he's writing teen angst at 50 you kinda go come on man but it could mean a lot of things

Old 11-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #230
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfan1988 View Post
Much better. Makes you wonder why a song like Being Beige is even on the album, seems a bit out of place after hearing One And ALL. Also not sure if anyone else noticed but the main riff is very similar to The Viper during the 666 recordings in 1995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edEM4MmSrnQ

I definitely noticed.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:13 AM   #231
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

>>>>insert superficial judgement here: "well the ___should have been ____ and I thought the ___ were to0 ___"<<<<<

go write your own fucking songs then.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #232
JoaoMiguel
Demi-God

The song isn't bad, but the way he sings plus the awful production makes it unlistenable. Everything is so compressed and brickwalled that it actually makes you turn the volume down. Does Billy even know that the "loudness war" is over? Let the freaking song breath for God's sake! If I wanna listen to it loudly then I'll turn the volume up myself, there's no needs for your "sound engineer" to do it for me. And please, get your lovely vocal style back!

Old 11-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #233
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

No man, you need to turn it UP. The guitars sound fucking gnarly.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 AM   #234
chrisothoulo
Demi-God

I feel his singing style is what you guys hate most.. and the lyrics.

What happened to "Wrap me up in always, and drag me in with maybes yeah" ???

Old 11-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #235
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaoMiguel View Post
The song isn't bad, but the way he sings plus the awful production makes it unlistenable. Everything is so compressed and brickwalled that it actually makes you turn the volume down. Does Billy even know that the "loudness war" is over? Let the freaking song breath for God's sake! If I wanna listen to it loudly then I'll turn the volume up myself, there's no needs for your "sound engineer" to do it for me. And please, get your lovely vocal style back!
Finally someone who's on the same page...it's not about analyzing tracks. But very low DR numbers confirm the listening experience. You might be able to listen to one track with a dynamic range of DR5 but listen to a whole album and it gives you ear fatigue. No wonder people don't want to listen to full albums anymore.

>>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9xX...utu.be&t=4m28s

Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #236
null123
Minion of Satan

shut up about billy

Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #237
null123
Minion of Satan

http://hipstersunited.com/images/BC_NME.jpg

Old 11-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #238
Trotskilicious
Banned

amergosum are you the guy who never fails to bring up the loudness war and post that video

Old 11-06-2014, 03:31 AM   #239
Trotskilicious
Banned

i mean is it just you, because i never remember anyone without an avatar

Old 11-06-2014, 03:52 AM   #240
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
amergosum are you the guy who never fails to bring up the loudness war and post that video

That clip just explains it very well. But yeah...I get it..nobody gives a shit here.