Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2002, 08:52 PM   #31
Jaggie
 
Posts: n/a
Post

I'm an odd conservative as I have very liberal thoughts on some issues. One being marijuana. Lets examine:

Alcohol
Pros
-Already a large aspect of our social structure
-Huge market for both domestic and international companies
-Feels good

Cons
-Addictive
-Mood altering, personality changing, stupidity inducing (at high levels of consumption)
-Alters ability to operate machinery
-Can ruin families

*****************************************

Marijuana
Pros
-Giddy euphoria (almost always lacking any kind of violence typically associated with "angry drunks")
-No addiction (not counting habituation which can occur with drinking Mountain Dew)
-Aids appetite as well as pain relief
-Extremely cheap to grow/dry/refine (not talking about the $40 you pay for an overstuffed dime, I'm saying if, say, Marlboro were to produce it)
-Does not affect reaction times (driving/operating machinery possible)
-Would lower cost of alcohol (even if slightly as they would be somewhat competing markets, notice I say somewhat)

Con
-Against the law
-Causes otherwise harmless "criminals" to clog our already overfilled judicial/jail system
-Can induce sleepiness in some
-Can cause weight gain (munchies)

****************************************

As far as I see it, it's not even an issue. I truly believe that the only reason that it is still illegal is that the major alcohol companies are in bed with the gov't (see last pro for pot) and don't want to see their profits decrease.

Picture this, the gov't legalizes it. They regulate the shit out of it, tax it, assure quality production and I wouldn't even argue with a ban on driving while high (similar to the way we treat drinking and driving, maybe the equivalent to 1 joint worth of THC in the blood is the legal limit, or whatever). The gov't is now making a killing on the taxes alone, not to mention the petty street corner pot dealers that are cleared out of our jails, freeing up room for rapists and child abusers.

It would also significantly reduce the drug trade from Mexico and South America, a huge market for the all too willing youth of America.

Go ahead and make a valid argument to the contrary. And don't regurgitate some DARE slogan. A sneeze kills more brain cells than a joint. A "pothead" seems to start dropping out of school and losing motivation not because of the drug, but because of his lifestyle. Even if marijuana affects motivation (which, if true, is much less than made out to be), so does caffeine and nicotine (two of the most abused drugs that are legal in America).

And the moderate in me comes out. This, and abortion (I'm avidly pro-choice). Other than that, kill bin laden!

Edit: As I re-read, I'm not some crazy right winger, just more conservative than liberal, but mostly moderate. Also, I am not for making drinking illegal, just using it to make a point.

------------------
-Life is so strange
-The stars fall in
AIM: Jaggie67
All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.

"I would like to thank you, for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express. Departure time always arrival time never....We are and always will be the Smashing Pumpkins..."

[This message has been edited by Jaggie (edited 02-12-2002).]

 
Old 02-12-2002, 09:03 PM   #32
melancholia
 
Posts: n/a
Post

I think that marajuana is a lot better than alchohol... i mean, drunk people can be mean, loud and violent... stoned people are friendly, calm, and happy...

marajuana can't kill you...alchohol can.


 
Old 02-12-2002, 09:06 PM   #33
Jaggie
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by melancholia:
I think that marajuana is a lot better than alchohol... i mean, drunk people can be mean, loud and violent... stoned people are friendly, calm, and happy...

marajuana can't kill you...alchohol can.

Yea that reminds me. Alcohol can kill you in relatively small quantities (varies largely on body size, stomach contents, etc.), whereas it would take (think about this) 50 pounds of marijuana, smoked in 1 hour to kill you. Yes people, it is simpler to OD on Vitamin C.

 
Old 02-12-2002, 09:18 PM   #34
melancholia
 
Posts: n/a
Post

exactly... so why is weed the illegal one?

 
Old 02-12-2002, 09:22 PM   #35
PhantomFM
 
Posts: n/a
Post

I agree with you Jaggie but you said pot doesnt inhibit your reaction times which is completely not true. true, you will be able to drive better than if you were drunk but not because its not affecting your reaction times.

Also you neglected completely that weed makes you stupid. Maybe you don't really have first hand knowledge of that, or you're young I don't know but trust me- you smoke everyday it will make you stupid. you smoke every other day it will make you some amount of less intellegent and quick than if you didnt, though I don't know how much.

And weight gain isn't connected with pot smoking. True, smoking pot can make you wanna plow into a bag of chips but it also increases metabolism and not everyone gets hungry when they smoke, and not everytime. And often even if you do get hungry you still won't eat. i cant explain that but i do it and i've noticed it.

also not even most ppl experience "giddy euphoria" when they smoke. some ppl just feel reeeally tired and tingly, some ppl it makes them feel like they're dying, and I would say for anyone that smokes a LOT they've completely lost the giddyness and the euphoria has instead turned into a mind numbing blankness.

I'm not dissing pot- as I've said before and you may well know, i LOVE getting high. but if I were you I wouldn't jump out there and start talking about legalization if you don't really know much about what you want legalized.

------------------
PhantomFM

 
Old 02-12-2002, 09:35 PM   #36
Jaggie
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by PhantomFM:
I agree with you Jaggie but you said pot doesnt inhibit your reaction times which is completely not true. true, you will be able to drive better than if you were drunk but not because its not affecting your reaction times.

Also you neglected completely that weed makes you stupid. Maybe you don't really have first hand knowledge of that, or you're young I don't know but trust me- you smoke everyday it will make you stupid. you smoke every other day it will make you some amount of less intellegent and quick than if you didnt, though I don't know how much.

And weight gain isn't connected with pot smoking. True, smoking pot can make you wanna plow into a bag of chips but it also increases metabolism and not everyone gets hungry when they smoke, and not everytime. And often even if you do get hungry you still won't eat. i cant explain that but i do it and i've noticed it.

also not even most ppl experience "giddy euphoria" when they smoke. some ppl just feel reeeally tired and tingly, some ppl it makes them feel like they're dying, and I would say for anyone that smokes a LOT they've completely lost the giddyness and the euphoria has instead turned into a mind numbing blankness.

I'm not dissing pot- as I've said before and you may well know, i LOVE getting high. but if I were you I wouldn't jump out there and start talking about legalization if you don't really know much about what you want legalized.

I know exactly about what I am talking about. I'll break down your points:

Edit: *This can range from person to person.* You might feel "stoney" or tired, but it will not slow you down any more than say a lack of sleep will.

I reiterate that a joint kills less brain cells than a sneeze. Here's the reason why you think it makes you stupid. If smoked enough, THC lingers in the blood at high enough levels to make you feel stoned. Thus you can basically be walking around all day somewhat stoned, even without smoking recently. As you probably know, being "stoned" can make you seem stupid, which is why people might seem that way. As far as long term neurological effects, regular use of marijuana doesn't adversely affect your brain. DARE has taught you that it does.

I agree, pot will not *make* you gain weight, but it is much easier to do so. That is why I put munchies in parantheses when making my original point, indicating it was from overeating, not a metabolic change.

I also agree. Pot can have many effects, ranging from giddy euphoria to sleepy stoned-like feeling. It is different for every person almost every time you smoke, depending on the strain of weed. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that if you get stoned you enter a "mind numbing blankness".

But you made your points intelligently and I am not looking to argue, this is just what I've noticed/experienced/researched/etc.


[This message has been edited by Jaggie (edited 02-12-2002).]

 
Old 02-12-2002, 09:38 PM   #37
Ammy
 
Posts: n/a
Post

in my own personal experience, i agree mostly with jaggie, except the thing about recation times, it DOES slow your reaction times, yes, you may be more concentrated on the driving than usual, and of course that's always a good thing, but, you're still intoxicated, and it does have an effect on that..

[This message has been edited by Ammy (edited 02-12-2002).]

 
Old 02-12-2002, 09:42 PM   #38
Jaggie
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Ammy:
in my own personal experience, i agree mostly with jaggie, except the thing about recation times, it DOES slow your reaction times, yes, you may be more concentrated on the driving than usual, and of course that's always a good thing, but, you're still intoxicated, and it does have an effect on that..

[This message has been edited by Ammy (edited 02-12-2002).]
Again, I know what you guys are talking about, but really, you shoudl clock it some time. It seems like you're slower because you are dopey but in all actuality it really isn't, but like I said, this could range from person to person, so if it held true for you, then my point about legal/illegal levels of THC in the blood for driving would make more sense.

 
Old 02-12-2002, 09:44 PM   #39
Ammy
 
Posts: n/a
Post

well techincally at this point, being intoxicated on /anyhting/ that might impare your driving is illigal, i think at least, like cold medecine and the like.. so if it were legalized, yeah, i think having a range of legal vs nonlegal levels like alcohol would be neccesary..

but yeah, that's only in my personal experience, i hate driving stoned, i'm paranoid about it in general, and yes, that might be why i feel my reactions are slow, but i *think* it's been proven. not sure...?

 
Old 02-12-2002, 09:46 PM   #40
Graveflower
 
Posts: n/a
Cool

I drive great when I'm stoned. I'm also a far better bassist, too.

 
Old 02-12-2002, 10:21 PM   #41
trine
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

I stopped at a green light once....

------------------
build a man a fire and he is warm for a day... set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life...

 
Old 02-12-2002, 10:25 PM   #42
Jaggie
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally posted by trine:
I stopped at a green light once....

Haha, oh man, I've been there/done that.

 
Old 02-12-2002, 10:27 PM   #43
melancholia
 
Posts: n/a
Post

driving while on anything= bad

 
Old 02-12-2002, 10:29 PM   #44
nevermind
 
Posts: n/a
Post

some of you people talk of weed affecting you like you've only smoked it maybe once or twice in your lives. jesus. all this overanalyzing, pft.

------------------
fuck it.

aim - AnotherSpaceJam

 
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014