Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Default What are the chances the reunion announcement tomorrow will outshine Darcy drama?

Zero.

I mean Rolling Stone, Billboard, NME, Spin, Alternative Press etc etc. ALL the major outlets are writing about what a clusterfuck this is turning out to be. How could tomorrow make an even bigger splash? It couldn't. It won't.

They should just cancel the announcement. Sit down and rethink how they'll do this. Maybe a warm up tour of small clubs before the arena shows whilst trying to amend the D'arcy situation. Pay her whatever it takes to get a 3 song guest appearance on one of the key shows. Generate some good will. Otherwise this will be a truly sad endnote to a once great band's legacy.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
in stereo
Demi-God

It's going to be a tour announcement
And possibly a new song, mid-tempo acoustic garbage with BC's dry vocal 15db too loud

Either way nobody will give a fuck one way or the other. Band's legacy was destroyed many years ago. I was here during the OG era, and that is gone forever. You can't ever get back to that. Each album BC puts out sells less and less. I'd be shocked if a new record would sell more than 25,000 copies. It's over, and has been over for a long time. The only reason any of this is happening is so Billy can get out of a financial hole - nothing more.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Zero chances it will outshine the drama and zero chances they will change anything about their plans

Old 02-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
thedeadofnight
Ownz

The song will initially sound good but will have no lasting value and no emotive quality to make you listen more than twice.

The Manson Tour 2018 ft. James Iha will be announced and that'll be that.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Zero chances it will outshine the drama and zero chances they will change anything about their plans

This.

What they should do (and probably won't) is to release an official PR statement saying that unfortunately they couldn't reach an agreement with D'arcy, and they are going their own way. Don't ever talk about her or address questions about her down the line.

If they truly want her involvement in any capacity they should get together as a mature group of people and talk it out, that's all. No cheap shots on instagram or shit talking to third parties.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
in stereo
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
The song will initially sound good but will have no lasting value and no emotive quality to make you listen more than twice.

The Manson Tour 2018 ft. James Iha will be announced and that'll be that.
This. And James' last album had that emotive quality but was lacking in the songwriting department. I thought that if James and Billy could combine forces, they could really do something special. But in typical BC Corporate Rock fashion, he quickly wrote a bunch of songs by himself, and James showed up for a few days to play some ebow or some other tiny addition to it. Billy can't get out of his own way.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
T&T
Socialphobic

If the arena tour is already booked, there's no 'lets to a small club tour' option.

the only things that are still open is how much the promoters will be spending up front.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
Whir34
Pledge

I am excited for what is to come as we may get new music. The energy that causes these dysfunctional dramas around Billy and his personal relationships is the same energy where his good music comes from, especially in the 90's.

That being said, their biggest PR mistake here was hinting at or suggesting a full reunion before all negotiations had been concluded and all the members had signed on the dotted line. They should have kept quiet and at this point when it was clear D'Arcy was out they could have just come out and said James is returning to the (already existing) band for an indefinite time or for touring and recording. Everyone would have been stoked.

Also, it is not a reunion, the band reunited in 2007 and has never split up. Now it is just James returning to the band but people are expecting a full original reunion due to all the hints before anything was clear or agreed hence the media storm

The SP camp cannot resist an "announcement of an announcement" and it has undone them this time.

Keep quiet and only announce things when they are definitely happening, I have even learnt this valuable lesson in my work life.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
s0ss
Demi-God

It wouldn't be a Smashing Pumpkins reunion without an announcement of an announcement and drama.

I hear the third time is a charm. They'll get this reunion thing right eventually.

(Will this new album be part of Teargarden by Kaleidyscope?)

Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
LaBelle
Socialphobic

As long as someone dangles from the ceiling wearing a carrot costume, i'm game.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ss View Post
It wouldn't be a Smashing Pumpkins reunion without an announcement of an announcement and drama.

I hear the third time is a charm. They'll get this reunion thing right eventually.

(Will this new album be part of Teargarden by Kaleidyscope?)

Old 02-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

It will be a epic SD-esque song (the one with james, produced by Rick Rubin, featuring a mellotron and strings) cause that's what the kidz want, and a vague announcement about the tour.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
Ram27
dumb

It's all gone to shit and there's no realistic way to save it

Old 02-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #14
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I got one: Over/under on the Machina reissue showing up to try and distract people from this shitshow?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

"And possibly a new song, mid-tempo acoustic garbage with BC's dry vocal 15db too loud"

Spot on.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #16
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledMuzzle View Post
"And possibly a new song, mid-tempo acoustic garbage with BC's dry vocal 15db too loud"

Spot on.
Strummed in 3/4.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #17
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

They have 3 guitars on the song, it won't be acoustic at all.

They will follow a pumpkin formula: heavy guitars with an acoustic break and some strings arrangements.

You see, Billy wants people to believe this is a legit reunion, he will try to make the most pumpkin song he can at this point to get everybody talking about it as if it's a "return to form" kind of thing.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
They have 3 guitars on the song, it won't be acoustic at all.

They will follow a pumpkin formula: heavy guitars with an acoustic break and some strings arrangements.

You see, Billy wants people to believe this is a legit reunion, he will try to make the most pumpkin song he can at this point to get everybody talking about it as if it's a "return to form" kind of thing.
Well then it might actually be good. And if it's really good, maybe the D'arcy stuff won't seem too important.

Question is, if it was James missing and D'arcy present, would there be the same furore?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #19
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Question is, if it was James missing and D'arcy present, would there be the same furore?
Even bigger I’d imagine as James contributed more and actually made music during the past 18 years.

But James is barely present anyway. One day trip and some guitar contributions in between doing his own thing.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #20
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
I got one: Over/under on the Machina reissue showing up to try and distract people from this shitshow?
zero on that.
if there's a Machina reissue mention, it'll be through an announcement of an announcement.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
in stereo
Demi-God

There is absolutely no chance the song will be good. Don't be deluded.

Billy's voice is shot. His lyrics are embarrassing, cringe-tier (LUVAHHH). He's more worried about what the "kidz" want to hear than just simply writing a song about his life. There's no authenticity to any part of SP anymore. The billboards with the lyrics from the "hitz" make me cringe so hard.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #22
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The shark has officially been jumped

Old 02-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #23
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stereo View Post
He's more worried about what the "kidz" want to hear

http://www.paulwandtke.com/images/ki...t-concert..jpg

Old 02-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #24
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Wouldn't it be amazing if Darcy leaked the new song?

Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #25
in stereo
Demi-God

The only way this "reunion" had any hope of being successful is if it was the original 4. Jeff being there was the first red flag. And then excluding D'arcy? Big miscalculation on Billy's part, because this new D'arcy interview pretty much blows Billy the fuck out...there's no recovery from this. 3 original members plus Jeff and Jack? Nobody cares. Billy just doesn't get it. This new song/tour/album will be a colossal failure, and my only hope is that Billy finally retires. Stop putting out terrible music and shitting on your legacy. Just stop it. No more music, no more infowars interviews, no more instagram son pics, just fucking go away. Sit in your mansion by the lake with airplane mode and hang out in your shitty tea shop.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #26
ilikeplanets
Braindead

honestly i think roughly 3/4 or more of the people that planned to go to a show will go anyway. i think this drama is pretty newsworthy but likely will only dissuade a very small percentage of people from checking out the tour and even less from listening to the new music.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #27
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
honestly i think roughly 3/4 or more of the people that planned to go to a show will go anyway. i think this drama is pretty newsworthy but likely will only dissuade a very small percentage of people from checking out the tour and even less from listening to the new music.
Yeah, y'all are pretty deluded to think nostalgic 30-somethings are gonna turn away from their local Jiffy Lube Arena just because D'arcy's not there.

This will be marketed and promoted like every other half-assed reunion and the crowds'll show up because the '90s.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #28
LaBelle
Socialphobic

"She's ugly anyway bro, totally unfuckable!!! Let's raaaaawk awoooooooh!!!! play rat in a cage and cool kids never have the time!!!"

Old 02-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #29
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Nothing about this is exclusive to the SP experience. There will always, without exception, be a section of any mega-successful band's fandom who looks at the artists as messiahs, and some people will gladly put blinders on to avoid the fact that any one of them could be flawed in some way, shape, or form. There's stories out there about Marilyn Manson fucking over his former band members for pay, or that one about Trent Reznor throwing some of Charlie Clouser's equipment into a dumpster, and you inevitably get people who say "bullshit" when faced with those stories because they're an uncomfortable truth.

Being a rock star fucks you up.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #30
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Yeah, y'all are pretty deluded to think nostalgic 30-somethings are gonna turn away from their local Jiffy Lube Arena just because D'arcy's not there.

This will be marketed and promoted like every other half-assed reunion and the crowds'll show up because the '90s.
yeah, between Sad Machines type superfans and casuals who aren't following the drama i think the venues will be pretty packed. hell, i'm pretty appalled at this whole mess but i still want to see a show because i am curious how they will sound, and i've never been able to see any original member play, besides b0llster.