Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
Theendiscoming
Amish Rake Fighter

Default Summer 2019 tour setlist seriously?

For the run of this band regardless of members i took what they made, presented & performed and went with it. Good times overall with something to play with the mind and life is lived. They have done something that most bands only dream of.

Skipping 30 years later to 2018 tour, it pretty much comes to that the setlist, performances etc. were a "real treat". They didn't get much props from their fans about it beyond the expected T/FB/IN scrum but seriously that was a real treat from all aspects.

Watching online the Euro dates of the bands last leg it may have had a moment here & there but times have changed so expectations probably didnt have a chance. I like the whole band but with the vibe & setlists even overseas for me Billys solo shows have better moments.

Looking at last nights setlist, all I can say is really? At this point in time I know you have to sell tickets. I then know you have to play the "hits". I also see you are putting in some tracks from certain timeframes that you want to refresh or let people know you made other lp's that they may not really understand because you will be doing things in the future related. I know you want to make money as that is your job, career, legacy etc I 100% get it.

You have 100 songs+ you could do and is understandably hard to decide. You want some slower stuff I get it, guitars I get it. Voices change I get it. What doesn't change are lyrics for most. The people buying tickets because of how many hits they were want to hear more. The hardcore fans like myself want to hear other tracks that are different than the last years otherwise it ends up being just a show.

All of us are not hear forever. Some songs won't be played again for various reasons I get that. Memories sometimes are best served these days on the Tube or live cd's out there. No meet & greet again I get that. Its your business so you can do what you want.

With 3 bands on this summer tour, I get everyone has their slot. I've been of fan of Noel & Liam from record 1 so is a treat to see him the same night as you. AFI are hard working too so am fine there as well. Noel has been pushing his new stuff for years and then adding the Oasis stuff people want to make his rounds even to keep it going. With SP getting back together I am not an opinionated person but really think you could have done a better setlist for yourselves first and then the fans second. I honestly thought at this point in time we would be seeing on a 17 song set several different than what was done last night. The 2 new ones make sense & are good. The early days stuff I understand. Its the other years there were better choices for you, the diehards and then the new paying customers that would make this summer tour better. I'm honestly after all these considering letting go of my "close" tix to more than 1 venue and not because i've outgrown SP. Your lyrics, sounds & meanings of other well known tracks you have are more important to people than you think. I am hoping you revisit it as you can do anything you want.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

yes

Old 08-09-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theendiscoming View Post
Memories sometimes are best served these days on the Tube or live cd's out there. No meet & greet again I get that. Its your business so you can do what you want.
agreed

Old 08-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Your lyrics, sounds & meanings of other well known tracks you have are more important to people than you think. I am hoping you revisit it as you can do anything you want.
certainly

Old 08-09-2019, 06:50 AM   #5
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Skipping 30 years later to 2018 tour, it pretty much comes to that the setlist, performances etc. were a "real treat". They didn't get much props from their fans about it beyond the expected T/FB/IN scrum but seriously that was a real treat from all aspects.
yes from all aspects

Old 08-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #6
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
For the run of this band regardless of members i took what they made, presented & performed and went with it.
100%

Old 08-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

I hear what you're saying and value your opinion.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
Kahlo

Hello, Billy here. Many thanks for your feedback. The team and I had a group huddle last night, and have decided to take your suggestions on board.

Thank you and God bless.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
For the run of this band regardless of members i took what they made, presented & performed and went with it. Good times overall with something to play with the mind and life is lived. They have done something that most bands only dream of.

Watching online the Euro dates of the bands last leg it may have had a moment here & there but times have changed so expectations probably didnt have a chance. I like the whole band but with the vibe & setlists even overseas for me Billys solo shows have better moments.

Looking at last nights setlist, all I can say is really? At this point in time I know you have to sell tickets. I then know you have to play the "hits". I also see you are putting in some tracks from certain timeframes that you want to refresh or let people know you made other lp's that they may not really understand because you will be doing things in the future related. I know you want to make money as that is your job, career, legacy etc I 100% get it.

You have 100 songs+ you could do and is understandably hard to decide. You want some slower stuff I get it, guitars I get it. Voices change I get it. What doesn't change are lyrics for most. The people buying tickets because of how many hits they were want to hear more. The hardcore fans like myself want to hear other tracks that are different than the last years otherwise it ends up being just a show.

All of us are not hear forever. Some songs won't be played again for various reasons I get that. Memories sometimes are best served these days on the Tube or live cd's out there. No meet & greet again I get that. Its your business so you can do what you want.

With 3 bands on this summer tour, I get everyone has their slot. I've been of fan of Noel & Liam from record 1 so is a treat to see him the same night as you. AFI are hard working too so am fine there as well. Noel has been pushing his new stuff for years and then adding the Oasis stuff people want to make his rounds even to keep it going. With SP getting back together I am not an opinionated person but really think you could have done a better setlist for yourselves first and then the fans second. I honestly thought at this point in time we would be seeing on a 17 song set several different than what was done last night. The 2 new ones make sense & are good. The early days stuff I understand. Its the other years there were better choices for you, the diehards and then the new paying customers that would make this summer tour better. I'm honestly after all these considering letting go of my "close" tix to more than 1 venue and not because i've outgrown SP. Your lyrics, sounds & meanings of other well known tracks you have are more important to people than you think. I am hoping you revisit it as you can do anything you want.
Hi this is billy, you ugly piece of shit…

if i ever run into you, anywhere, at anytime, for as long as i live, i will knock your fucking lights out. don’t ever come near me, and if i hear even one more peep out of you on netphoria about me, or the band, or the members of the band, i am gonna sue you for so much you’ll never be able to afford so much as a guitar pick

Old 08-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
you’ll never be able to afford so much as a guitar pick
got pick?

Old 08-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

The summer 2019 tour setlist seriously has fire and rain:

Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
patj825
Pledge

This is a Summer tour, so naturally it will have more hits. If you look at the 17 songs they played last nights, it's about half hits/half others + a cover. And not a bad mix in my opinion. Any show with Superchrist, Blue Skies Bring Tears & Aeroplane Flies High sounds great to me.

Today
Zero
Eye
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Disarm
Ava Adore
Tonight, Tonight
Cherub Rock

-------

Solara
Knights of Malta
Superchrist
Tiberius
G.L.O.W.
Fire and Rain
Blue Skies Bring Tears
Aeroplane Flies High

Old 08-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Exclamation

I know, I get it, I understand, do what you want

Seriously?!

Old 08-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #14
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

It’s a garbage setlist from almost any angle - only two genuine rarities, nine “big hits” played by the book, and a smattering of fake hits from the later years. Across the whole thing there seems to be no room for surprising presentation or interesting jams. The kind of creativity that could make every show a treat is long gone.

And when you think about it, the 2018 tour setlist was the same - expected songs, uncreative presentation. They just to had play so many oldies that lots of good ones popped up, and the excitement of a retro arena show with James hid many sins.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #15
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 08-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #16
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post

And when you think about it, the 2018 tour setlist was the same -
And the 2019 setlist is simply one and the same.
And that's why I don't understand how some here seem disappointed by this setlist, what did you expect?

This is the current tour
Quote:
Today
Zero
Solara
Knights of Malta
Eye
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Tiberius
G.L.O.W.
Disarm
Superchrist

Fire and Rain (James Taylor cover)
Ava Adore
Tonight, Tonight

Blue Skies Bring Tears
Cherub Rock
The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right
)
Blue was also on the Euro tour setlist, which ended only a month ago. Did people expect a new setlist for some reason? Because they'd get together and rehearse what, a dozen new songs they haven't played this year in one month between the European and the US tour?

Old 08-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Tbh I don’t know what people are complaining about. Billy learned from his mistakes at least to some degree, and he seems to genuinely value James & Jim being around this time so of course he’s gonna “beef up” the set to be particularly crowd-pleasing so it goes as well as it can. If you wanted weird shit & deep cuts ya shoulda caught the 20th anniversary tour, hot shot!

but ultimately, yes, I agree. and thank you. and you’re welcome
I dont need a wige or girl or whatever to feel good. I got my hand and my cock....do feel free to wank yours and after flooding the floor you feel no desire to meet a chick..... try it kids..... make em hard and feel free like u never did before
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel
Hey how are you? If she’s serious and not just playing just tell her to email me so I can touch base with her. My email is on the origin page

Old 08-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #18
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

yes!!!

Old 08-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #19
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

best post of all time this year so far!!

Old 08-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #20
jpflori
Pledge

Superchrist your qss/.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #21
Eulogy
huh

I’d forgive quite a bit if I saw TAFH

If they were playing Chicago I’d prob go

Old 08-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #22
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I’d forgive quite a bit if I saw TAFH

If they were playing Chicago I’d prob go
20 miles isn't exactly far

Old 08-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #23
Ram27
dumb

Yeah Tinley Park is basically the Chicago gig

i got VIP box seats for some reason

Old 08-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #24
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Interesting they dropped all of the Gish and Machina singles.

Sort of sad they chose this approach to BTBT when they could have done a MII or Arizing version...
Then again, maybe it was cool but the available audio is bad. Just seems really slow.

Last edited by NovaFritz : 08-10-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #25
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
20 miles isn't exactly far
It’s too far.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #26
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

The songs sound so much better with James.

Also, please add I of the mourning to the list. thx

Old 08-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #27
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

I held off on buying tickets based on what the setlist would be, and I can't think of another band I've loved so much that I would need to take this approach on a tour by tour basis. Interestingly enough, maybe the only other one is Noel shows for Oasis fans.

Lets have a look.

Today
Zero - song reminds me of expensive goth band merch at this point.
Solara - upsettingly bad.
Knights of Malta - crowd has to be talking over this one.
Eye - this one is cool.
Bullet With Butterfly Wings - like watching jordan trying to dunk from the free throw line in 2019.
Tiberius - zzzz
G.L.O.W. - zzzzzzzzzzzz
Disarm - have to put it somewhere
Superchrist - piss break
Fire and Rain (James Taylor cover) - realize I spent $60 on lawns.
Ava Adore - lets try and enjoy ourselves.
1979 - desperately trying to feel the same way I felt when I first heard this.
Tonight, Tonight
Blue Skies Bring Tears - oh hey remember this
Cherub Rock - shows almost over.
The Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right) - cool

Old 08-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #28
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

some of y'all sound like you've never actually been to a gig before. sure if you just threw these songs⁠—studio versions we've heard a million times⁠—on a spotify playlist or something, it wouldn't be the most exciting experience. but at least factor in that you're seeing what most of us felt was impossible like 4 years ago: Billups, Jim & James on the same stage at the same time!

unless you saw the thing last year, in which case, enjoy yer evening

Old 08-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #29
T&T
Socialphobic

They should at least play hummer and if they kick AFI off the tour they can do longer sets with much more good material.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #30
Ram27
dumb

yeah i was about to ask what set times were so i don't have to sit through them