Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #661
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Yeah, the game is pretty fun in it's depravity, as you get to run around executing, intimidating, interrogating, and blowing up the heads of orcs. So many different ways to dispatch them, but the orcs also have different vulnerabilities and immunities. Exploding a barell of grog on an orc might actually enrage and buff him instead of killing him, but he might one away terrified as soon as you swarm him with morgai flies.

The orcs also have unique personalities. Any normal grunt who kills you will become a captain and get his own name, voice actor, and traits in the "Nemesis System." Captains you've encountered will remember you and retain the scars you've given them, like burns, prosthetic limbs, stitches, metal plates… if you've really done a number on them multiple times, they'll just wind up with a bag over their head. Orcs that have killed you will remember killing you and boast about it. You can send death threats to orcs through minions, it's great. It pretty much uses the system to make the line between "enemy fodder" and "bosses" a fluid one, instead of having your traditional structure of "fight a bunch of minions before getting to the boss fight, rinse and repeat." Any minion can essentially become a boss if they kill you, bosses can ambush you anywhere in the game, you can stumble across and attack bosses in the middle of the map, it's great. It's pretty much how you use "procedural generation" properly, in order to solve a specific problem and generate unique encounters. Whereas something like No Man's Sky goes, "let's just do procedural generation for the sake of procedural generation so that we can say we have 2903w420433q3 planets, even if you do the exact same boring shit on all of them and they all look the same with slight variations."

Old 06-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #662
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I've never read a single Tolkien work, but from what I understand, these games play fast and loose with canon. They are supposed to take place between The Hobbit and the trilogy, and your player character is actually two characters: a human ranger created for the game, and an obscure LotR character who doesn't get a lot of page time in Tolkien's own works, but who is integral to the actions that set all the events of the series into motion. I think few of the events explicitly contradict Tolkien lore, but they more just feel like they don't fit, I'm told. I don't want to give any spoilers, but there's one such plot development that made even me, a guy who knows nothing about this lore, be like, "uh, I don't think you can just do that, but okay."

Apparently, Monolith actually started out making a Batman video game as a tie-in for The Dark Knight in 2008, but it got canceled (maybe WB didn't want confusion and competion with Rocksteady's Batman games), and the team started repurposing some ideas for the LotR license they got. I'm sure the Batman game was so early in development that most of the ideas were original to their LotR project and not just carry-overs from the Batman game, but it does at times feel like you're playing a high-fantasy vigilante Batman-analogue who jumps from rooftops and scares enemies, but, unlike Batman, has no problem stabbing and decapitating his enemies.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #663
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Yo Reprise, have you seen the trailer for Deathloop yet?

Looks good. Pretty much, Dishonored, but with an Outer Wilds-like time-loop. Thought you might be interested, since you're the one who turned me onto Dishonored.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #664
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Yo Reprise, have you seen the trailer for Deathloop yet?

Looks good. Pretty much, Dishonored, but with an Outer Wilds-like time-loop. Thought you might be interested, since you're the one who turned me onto Dishonored.
Looks sweet, but no way I can play it. I might get a new laptop soon though. I'd upgrade this one it but already overheats. My RAM and CPU are good for High settings according to them, but my graphics card is not even close