Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #91
jm9843
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalfriend View Post
i guess i'm going to have to change avatars since I have the lower post total, damnit
Heh, I saw awhile ago that you were using the same avatar but didn't change mine because I was using it first.

If it's any consolation, you have a much better username. Poor Sal.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #92
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that That's the Way was in a car commercial. As gay as that was, Warner Brothers had the rights to put whatever song they wanted in a Ford commercial.

Virgin not only ILLEGALLY put the band's music on the promotion, but has refused to acknowledge the re-issues and unreleased material Smashing Pumpkins offered him. Does it suck that Billy and Jimmy would sue over this and not even give fans an explanation as to the Ford commercial, yes, but legally the band is in the right.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #93
wpc33
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: Cheating on my wife with Kurt Cobain's wife. He'll live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
Corgan is suing his old label (where he made millions, by the way)
Yeah, he got to lick the plates of the sumptuous feast he cooked and served for his hungry label. Mmm, crumbs. Isn't the music industry grand?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...he_fuck_up.jpg

Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #94
Enzed
Apocalyptic Poster

that totally needed a pepsi can photoshopped in there.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #95
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

srsly u guys street cred matters a lot to new fans out there i no a lot of ppl who probably wont even buy SP cds ne-more bcuz of how commercial every1 knows SP is these days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
i mean if she didnt want to be buried, raised, and killed over and over again she shouldnt have worn that miniskirt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #96
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

for all we know billy could have had a clause in his most recent contract stating that warner brothers reserved the right to use a song of his in a national promotion of their choosing.

that would explain the ford commercial

Old 03-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #97
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

I have no doubts as to the legal merits of the case, or why SP's music was "allowed" to be whored into the Ford commercial (that choice could clearly be under rights of Warner as per a standard label contract.) I don't think any of us are actually arguing against those points.

What's getting a lot of us, however, is WHY whoever wrote the press release would use an argument which seems rather hypocritical and ludicrous considering the fact that Billy and co. apparently never vocally got their panties in such a wad over "threatening" artistic credibility with things such as the Ford commercial, milk-drinking campaigns, and even having their likeness used to promote a video game competition being sponsored by the U.S. Army. It just seems that if they were truly as obsessed over maintaining artistic integrity as this particular press release suggests (which we all know is not the real reason for the suit, duh), these aforementioned examples would be shit-fit worthy enough that steps would have been taken in contractual agreements or whatever to prevent such deals from being made.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 AM   #98
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc33 View Post
Yeah, he got to lick the plates of the sumptuous feast he cooked and served for his hungry label. Mmm, crumbs. Isn't the music industry grand?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...he_fuck_up.jpg
Thanks, shit lick. What are you, 12 years old? Can't you read that I was constructing a scenario and point of view that the Pumpkins were, according to my theory, trying to avoid? Of course you can't. Apparently you're better at making html-assisted photo inserts than basic reading comprehension. Don't ever post again.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 AM   #99
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003741748

"I'm sure they indicated to Pepsi that they had a right to do this, full well knowing they do not have the right," he said by phone from Australia, where the band is touring.

The suit says Virgin breached its contract with the band by using the Pumpkins in a "Pepsi Stuff" promotion without its permission. Corgan insists the group has veto power over such deals and has turned them down several times in the past. A Virgin spokesperson said the company does not comment on pending litigation."

Corgan says he has been feuding for years with Virgin over the handling of the Pumpkins' back catalog, but that the Pepsi/Amazon.com promotion "crosses the Rubicon. You're going to see more of this playing fast and loose with the rules, hoping they don't get caught. At face value, it's not a huge deal. But in terms of precedent, it is, because there will be much more of this coming."

In the suit, the Pumpkins claim Virgin has "irreparably harmed the group, their reputation and goodwill with their fans," dovetailing with what Corgan perceives as a lack of respect for the body of work the band has created.

The problem is that according to the contract the Pumpkins renegotiated with Virgin in the late '90s, both parties are partners where the catalog is concerned. Corgan claims he's made frequent overtures to Virgin about repositioning the back catalog, offering expanded editions of vintage albums and releasing archival material, but has been met with resistance at every step of the way.

"We've made offers to buy it all," he says. "Look, you have no interest. Let us just buy it. But they won't put a number on it. They've atrophied the catalog down so low that they probably hope we'll crawl back and ask for cash."

Old 03-26-2008, 03:41 AM   #100
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

Note the "Virgin spokesperson said the company does not comment on pending litigation."

This is a combined leagl/pr tactic. I did my thesis on this using data from major companies. Let the band say what they like and Virgin holds all their cards close. They think they have a better shot at winning in court but not in the public arena.

Last edited by flyfire : 03-26-2008 at 03:55 AM.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #101
T&T
Socialphobic

I think it's simple for the band to claim MCIS has street cred, yet not consider their new material of any value. it's the ZEITGEIST folks! things just don't matter anymore.

"pumpkins suck, have you heard the new album? gross!"
"they used to be good"
"whatever, I got that mellon collie album for free just for drinking pepsi"

Old 03-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #102
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm
this is not a commercial for a car.

subtle difference. it is a commercial for a music playing thing that happens to be in cars.

it is ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC.
can't you see how music-listening is an appropriate thing for a band to promote while cola-drinking is not so much.

and yes, i am a Coke man tbh.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #103
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
I have no doubts as to the legal merits of the case, or why SP's music was "allowed" to be whored into the Ford commercial (that choice could clearly be under rights of Warner as per a standard label contract.) I don't think any of us are actually arguing against those points.

What's getting a lot of us, however, is WHY whoever wrote the press release would use an argument which seems rather hypocritical and ludicrous considering the fact that Billy and co. apparently never vocally got their panties in such a wad over "threatening" artistic credibility with things such as the Ford commercial, milk-drinking campaigns, and even having their likeness used to promote a video game competition being sponsored by the U.S. Army. It just seems that if they were truly as obsessed over maintaining artistic integrity as this particular press release suggests (which we all know is not the real reason for the suit, duh), these aforementioned examples would be shit-fit worthy enough that steps would have been taken in contractual agreements or whatever to prevent such deals from being made.
thank you stumpycat, this is exactly what i've been saying all along. As always, you have a much better way with words.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #104
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
i knew flyfire was just gonna go to town in this thread and take you bitches to school.
dear god, cigarski, can you just try to deal with the fact that some people have different opinions than you? you get so damn worked up about it.
yes, i think flyfire is definitely the most authoritative voice in this discussion, and she handles herself well in the conversation also. Why do people have to get so damn pissed off at what amounts to nothing more than a discussion of opposing viewpoints?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #105
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

The outcome of this lawsuit will most likely result in a non-cash settlement.

Virgin will put some special edition older SP stuff and SP will allow Virgin to use SP for some future marketing campaigns with better revenue sharing.

End of story.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #106
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Andrew_Pakula, your vision towards compromise and mutual benefit for all parties has impressed in me a resolute sense of promise for the coming months. what's that sound outside my window? starlings singing in the silvery sun.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #107
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfire View Post
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003741748

"I'm sure they indicated to Pepsi that they had a right to do this, full well knowing they do not have the right," he said by phone from Australia, where the band is touring.

The suit says Virgin breached its contract with the band by using the Pumpkins in a "Pepsi Stuff" promotion without its permission. Corgan insists the group has veto power over such deals and has turned them down several times in the past. A Virgin spokesperson said the company does not comment on pending litigation."

Corgan says he has been feuding for years with Virgin over the handling of the Pumpkins' back catalog, but that the Pepsi/Amazon.com promotion "crosses the Rubicon. You're going to see more of this playing fast and loose with the rules, hoping they don't get caught. At face value, it's not a huge deal. But in terms of precedent, it is, because there will be much more of this coming."

In the suit, the Pumpkins claim Virgin has "irreparably harmed the group, their reputation and goodwill with their fans," dovetailing with what Corgan perceives as a lack of respect for the body of work the band has created.

The problem is that according to the contract the Pumpkins renegotiated with Virgin in the late '90s, both parties are partners where the catalog is concerned. Corgan claims he's made frequent overtures to Virgin about repositioning the back catalog, offering expanded editions of vintage albums and releasing archival material, but has been met with resistance at every step of the way.

"We've made offers to buy it all," he says. "Look, you have no interest. Let us just buy it. But they won't put a number on it. They've atrophied the catalog down so low that they probably hope we'll crawl back and ask for cash."
QFE

billy is much better at talking than writing blogs it would seem. whenever he feels the urge to post some mumbo-jumbo he should just tape and transcribe what he wanted to say; much clearer!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #108
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
whenever he feels the urge to post some mumbo-jumbo he should just tape and transcribe what he wanted to say; much clearer!
and i started thinking maybe this is the cause of all the negativity against...

Old 03-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #109
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
billy is much better at talking than writing songs it would seem.

fify

Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #110
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

There was a picture of Billy on the front of The Guardian national UK newspaper today about this

Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #111
emotionalfriend
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
Heh, I saw awhile ago that you were using the same avatar but didn't change mine because I was using it first.

If it's any consolation, you have a much better username. Poor Sal.
yeah, that does help a bit. thanks!

i tried to get an avatar of Eric the Shit Cock, but couldn't find a decent one

Old 03-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #112
GeekUSA86
Pledge

New interview with Billy on Rolling Stone

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...y_exclusive_qa

Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #113
emotionalfriend
Ownz

"I'm sort of out of the period of my life when I run around trying to generate news."

Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #114
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
It's a very difficult position because whether it's blogs or people posting on Web sites, fans can get very frustrated about what they perceive about how you do your business, not being aware of how we continually have a gun pointed at our head.
haha, i told Rider they put a gun to his head!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #115
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

I have no problem with SP suing Virgin, and I certainly believe Virgin would go ahead without permission just in case SP were too busy or too tired to notice.

Edit: It's also much harder to argue with Billy when he's speaking coherently.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #116
T&T
Socialphobic

I had a thought last night

if virgin is giving the cd's away, then the band is making ZERO $$
no writers royalty, no producer royalty, ziltch.
it's a "promotion"
it's like virgin is trying to "liquidate" the stock...
where as to billy it is potential "money in the bank"

"HAHAHAHA those fools have 10,000,000 more copies of MCIS in some warehouse of my CD, HAHAHHA, I'm gonna be richer! wait, they're giving them away for free so i don't get a penny????? I'll sue those motherfuckers!!!"

Old 03-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #117
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

"Corgan's Fury."

Not LOL-worthy, but a smirk-inducing title indeed.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #118
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
they did not approve of the ford commercial. stop assuming this.
but see, YOU are assuming that they didn't approve the commercial. We are both making assumptions here, and unless billy talks about it, we may never know for sure.

and fwiw, I'd RATHER you were right, because i don't really want billy to come off like a big hypocrite.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 AM   #119
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Okay, does anyone think it's slightly absurd that this made the front of a British national newspaper? Fucking hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski View Post
lol at corgan calling RS from a bathroom. some people read magazines on the shitter, he calls them.
Who knows? They never specified the "type" of bathroom. The more rational thought seems to be that he might be calling from a cell phone while soaking in a hot bath in his suite or something. (It is funnier to think he's calling from the toilet though.)

Old 03-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #120
paranoid
Minion of Satan

p