US National Anthem
Agreed tbh

It's not even good

Old 08-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #62
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Normally I'd say I can't believe y'all are saying Wonderwall & Get What You Give when so many much worse things have come out of the past 2 decades. But then I remembered these songs, and guess I'm in a similar boat

Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
Blind Melon - No Rain
I will never, for the life of me, understand why anyone in their right mind every liked Harvey Danger. What an absolute shit joke of a band.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:08 AM   #63
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Flagpole sitta? Sounds gay.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #64
artvase
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
'Random lost souls have asked me what's the future of rock and roll?
I say, "I don't know, does it matter?"'

– ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
Nihilistic garbage from a garbage band, I wouldn't expect anything more or less.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #65
Elphenor
Braindead

idk if they're garbage but they're pretty boring imo

Old 08-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #66
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
just keep listening to nothing but post punk i guess
*thumbs up*

sounds like a plan

Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #67
Elphenor
Braindead

country =)

Old 08-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #68
Elphenor
Braindead

to do the inverse

I've caught this playing from the radio but only in Texas, and I could hear it a million times over

Old 08-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #69
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, love Pretty Woman. Though it really got overplayed all to hell in the early 90s when the Julia Roberts movie came out.

Speaking of songs that are also movie titles, I've always found Bruce Springsteen's Pink Cadillac annoying as fuck for some reason.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #70
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvase View Post
Nihilistic garbage from a garbage band, I wouldn't expect anything more or less.
it's hardly nihilistic, it's pointing out how dumb it is to be caught up in stuff like that. it just doesn't matter. life goes on, music goes on, everything keeps changing. there's plenty of good rock being made today. napster did not kill the music industry. teeny bopper music didn't start in 1999. it's all just kind of a limited perspective that is centered on your personal experience

the song is not nihilistic at all, it's about how our societal fixation on commodities and escapist nonsense and all sorts of bullshit allows us to live deep in our own personal narratives like that is the whole world, while the world is actually full of real suffering and real horror we just don't want to look it, but that it is going to bite us in the end

Old 08-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #71
FoolofaTook

Angry

And back off of Nihilism, bro.

I worship The Void.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #72
Elphenor
Braindead

I'm not starving, I'm not in the army, I'm not on fire

let's sing about girls

who gives a fuck if the world is a drag

Old 08-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #73
Elphenor
Braindead

Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #74
Elphenor
Braindead

that is nihilistic garbage from a nihilist garbage band

Old 08-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #75
artvase
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
it's hardly nihilistic, it's pointing out how dumb it is to be caught up in stuff like that. it just doesn't matter. life goes on, music goes on, everything keeps changing. there's plenty of good rock being made today. napster did not kill the music industry. teeny bopper music didn't start in 1999. it's all just kind of a limited perspective that is centered on your personal experience

the song is not nihilistic at all, it's about how our societal fixation on commodities and escapist nonsense and all sorts of bullshit allows us to live deep in our own personal narratives like that is the whole world, while the world is actually full of real suffering and real horror we just don't want to look it, but that it is going to bite us in the end
If it doesn't matter then why are you even on this board with everyone else complaining about how shitty the Smashing Pumpkins are now? Because it does matter. It matters because that music stood for a pervasive cultural element and everyone who relates to that absolutely has the right to hold it up and say "Hey this was great." It's neither nonsense nor bullshit. It's art that influences people, identifies culture, and speaks to peoples' lives. The perspective I gave is also shared with many other people, it's not limited to just me. If you want to say it doesn't matter and life goes on, well you just validated the exact shitty attitude Corgan has to fans when he tells everyone to fuck off and move on. Apparently, deep down he doesn't think what he contributed back then matters either (except to exploit for another dollar). Maybe that's why his music blows now?

I didn't say teeny bopper music started in 1999, I said it became more prevalent, which it certainly did become.

Even by your summary interpretation of that songs lyrics I still maintain it's nihilistic, and ironically, it's subject to a limited perspective which you accused me of having. I mean, it's not impossible to enjoy life and listen to great music or read or jerk off while also realizing that people suffer in a world full of horrors. Those things aren't exclusive from one another. To think otherwise that people aren't capable of a wide range of thoughts, emotions, and actions is pure nihilism. What are we supposed to do otherwise? Sit around and be fucking depressed all the time because someone else has a fucked up life?

Old 08-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #76
artvase
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
And back off of Nihilism, bro.

I worship The Void.
Then what are you waiting on BRO. The void awaits BRO.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #77
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

All versions of Hallelujah except Leonard's
Happy Xmas (War is Over)
Wonderful Christmastime
Fairytale of New York
Imagine
Collective Soul's entire discography
Price Tag by Jessie J
Echo Beach
Most Tragically Hip songs except maybe Bobcaygeon

Old 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #78
redbreegull

Talking

Quote:
If it doesn't matter then why are you even on this board with everyone else complaining about how shitty the Smashing Pumpkins are now? Because it does matter.
I stopped reading here because no it doesn't, not really. There is a difference between appreciating and loving music personally and discussing it for fun vs. feeling like the decline of rock or becoming aware that teeny bopper music exists (always has dude, did not become more prevalent in 99, you just probably never heard most of the disposable garbage from previous eras) is actually some tragic societal change worth having a big sad over

this place, music, and art in general are outlets for me. I compartmentalize their "importance" from the real world

"Look at those cunts on MTV with cars and cribs and rings and shit
Is that what being a celebrity means?
Look boys and girls, here's BBC, see corpses, rapes, and amputees
What do you think now of the American dream?"

–same song

Old 08-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #79
redbreegull

Quote:
Even by your summary interpretation of that songs lyrics I still maintain it's nihilistic, and ironically, it's subject to a limited perspective which you accused me of having. I mean, it's not impossible to enjoy life and listen to great music or read or jerk off while also realizing that people suffer in a world full of horrors. Those things aren't exclusive from one another. To think otherwise that people aren't capable of a wide range of thoughts, emotions, and actions is pure nihilism. What are we supposed to do otherwise? Sit around and be fucking depressed all the time because someone else has a fucked up life?
not sure you know what nihilism really is, but I do agree with most of this.

you just seemed like way dramatic talking about the decline of music because of omg napster and bad bubble gum pop and stuff... like don't you know people from every generation have this attitude towards how the world changed while they were growing up? it's a nostalgia thing IMO

I hardcore reject the idea that there is less good music around now than in any previous era. The culture around it has changed, the music has changed, how it is being made has changed, and how people are consuming it has changed. But human talent and creativity are eternal

Last edited by redbreegull : 08-21-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #80
Elphenor
Braindead

having access to 60 years now of popular music very easily means a lot to compete with for new music in 2018

Old 08-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #81
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Bohemian Rhapsody
Don't Stop Believin'

And other great karaoke hits that you know and love

Old 08-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #82
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
having access to 60 years now of popular music very easily means a lot to compete with for new music in 2018
This is true as well. Because of the age we are living in, the past doesn't even seem as distant or disconnected from the present as it once did. It's just as exciting for me to dig into something I have never heard from the 60s as it is to dig into an album that came out last week. It's all "new" to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Bohemian Rhapsody
Don't Stop Believin'

I hate Journey but I will honestly never get tired of Bohemian Rhapsody. I get excited every time I hear it.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #83
Elphenor
Braindead

listening to interviews, it was common for artists I like to praise past obscure acts and rag on whatever was contemporary

Old 08-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #84
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Bohemian Rhapsody
Don't Stop Believin'

I love those songs but they are karaoke bar death.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #85
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Michel Teló - Ai Se Eu Te Pego

Old 08-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #86
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
Price Tag by Jessie J
OH GOD

Old 08-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #87
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

don't stop believing isn't as played to death here as I suppose it's in Northern America (might be terribly wrong there) but I didn't really know the song so well prior to watching The Sopranos.

It came up on some rock radio station when we were in the car in Murca and I didn't recognize it from the first few minutes.

Quite like the song

Old 08-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #88
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

btw, i liked being exposed to American radio for the most part, not because the music was great but it's just another piece of "culture" I'd otherwise never had been acquainted with.

Half of the New England channels appear to be cheesy country, holy shit. I thought that was more something from down south.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #89
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Don't Stop Believing is just absolutely everywhere. Karaoke bars, sports games, shows, to the point where to me it's gone far beyond cliché and it just makes me roll my eyes. But then again I'm a cynic.

Bohemian Rhapsody is something that went from awe-inspiring aural bliss the first time I ever saw Wayne's World as a kid to tired and played out because someone is guaranteed to karaoke it when you go to a bar, which is one of the reasons I tend not to anymore.

I considered adding Black Velvet but nah, I'm still fond of it.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #90
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Yes. With all due respect, I hate that song and I hope Alannah dies a painful death if she hasn't already.

And that little boy's smile, fucking pedo