Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Springbridge
Ownz

Default Oh No! SP2 It's different!

Today I want to address something to all of those people who are so upset about SP2. They are OH so in passionately upset, because "How Dare Billy Corgan change the aesthetics of the music that I once loved so much". How DARE he make His decisions with His own property so it doesn't appeal to You and your very narrow-minded view on how the music is supposed to sound with a specific tone and feel.

What really bothers me the most is just because you're a really strong fan of something, you feel that somehow those people who own it, are making it, and are putting the effort in it, sat around in a room and made all the decisions, are somehow beholden to YOU and maybe the group of 200 or 300 other people who think like you. That is preposterous, arrogant, narcissistic, and downright stupid.

I'm sick of hearing claims that SP2 is doing something that you feel violates the very core of the music that you originally liked, because guess what? You know what made Smashing Pumpkins really cool in the first place? The sincerity, the energy, and the creativity in the music. I don't see that one changing up as much as the sound of the music itself.

You disgruntled SP2 complainers make silly statements, and really all that energy should be put somewhere else. What I do find really distressing is that fact that people are so afraid of Change. Since when did Pumpkins fans become these proto-fascists who need to always evolve back to the "Golden Era; when everything was so God damn perfect, it sounded so perfectly, and it was all simple and that's how life was suppose to be"...

You think that things in SP2 are going in a bad direction, well these things are happening in society today and that's where you should be putting your complaints, because it might actually effect a change that will do something for generations to come.

It's The Smashing Pumpkins everybody.

It's probably going to be Awesome, and if it's not...Go Listen to Something Else.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Kahlo

tl/dr

Old 08-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
Hate the Hater
Apocalyptic Poster

Last edited by Hate the Hater : 08-16-2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: too naughty for sp board

Old 08-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
areyougaffney?
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate the Hater View Post
I've never been so aroused.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
Kahlo

but seriously, another newbie comes on here telling everyone that YOU GUYS SUCK YOU HATER SCUM!!!

I can't really stand these posters, who don't take the time to see that it is a pretty reasoned and varied response to the band that is posted here, with only a few fans who seem let down with the way things are going.

I think we should start banning these posters, maybe that will get them off their moralistic "I'm a truer fan than you!!!!" horse.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

doesn't flogging the old "How Dare Billy Corgan change the aesthetics of the music that I once loved so much" strawman get a bit tiresome

bill can do whatever he wants with his songs and his band, but that doesn't mean i have to like it

Old 08-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #7
Shallowed
Braindead

Well, I'm against complaints that it's not like it used to be, but I'm all for people expressing their opinions on something they just plain don't like.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa View Post
doesn't flogging the old "How Dare Billy Corgan change the aesthetics of the music that I once loved so much" strawman get a bit tiresome

bill can do whatever he wants with his songs and his band, but that doesn't mean i have to like it
Exactly.

Last edited by Shallowed : 08-16-2008 at 05:30 AM.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #8
Kahlo

This must be the 1000th thread like this.

LEAVE BILLY CORGAN ALONE!!!

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/im...cker-cries.jpg

Old 08-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #9
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

And now, we shall post crying children.

http://mcnutt.files.wordpress.com/20...ying_child.jpg

Old 08-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #10
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbridge View Post
Today I want to address something to all of those people who are so upset about SP2. They are OH so in passionately upset, because "How Dare Billy Corgan change the aesthetics of the music that I once loved so much". How DARE he make His decisions with His own property so it doesn't appeal to You and your very narrow-minded view on how the music is supposed to sound with a specific tone and feel.

What really bothers me the most is just because you're a really strong fan of something, you feel that somehow those people who own it, are making it, and are putting the effort in it, sat around in a room and made all the decisions, are somehow beholden to YOU and maybe the group of 200 or 300 other people who think like you. That is preposterous, arrogant, narcissistic, and downright stupid.

I'm sick of hearing claims that SP2 is doing something that you feel violates the very core of the music that you originally liked, because guess what? You know what made Smashing Pumpkins really cool in the first place? The sincerity, the energy, and the creativity in the music. I don't see that one changing up as much as the sound of the music itself.

You disgruntled SP2 complainers make silly statements, and really all that energy should be put somewhere else. What I do find really distressing is that fact that people are so afraid of Change. Since when did Pumpkins fans become these proto-fascists who need to always evolve back to the "Golden Era; when everything was so God damn perfect, it sounded so perfectly, and it was all simple and that's how life was suppose to be"...

You think that things in SP2 are going in a bad direction, well these things are happening in society today and that's where you should be putting your complaints, because it might actually effect a change that will do something for generations to come.

It's probably going to be Awesome, and if it's not...Go Listen to Something Else.
Let it go man, enjoy what you enjoy and let everyone else be. If they hate the new version of SP it is their right to.

This is still a (somewhat) free country.

Last edited by srt4b : 08-16-2008 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #11
mistle
bonnie stars

Quote:
The sincerity, the energy, and the creativity in the music.
are all things i feel are missing from sp2. it's funny how people like you always accuse people of living in the past when billy's the one carrying on the name after they broke up with half the band missing and makes an album that sounds like a watered down imitation of their hey day. pandering to people's expectations and playing it safe. billy's generally become exactly what he was always proud of the smashing pumpkins not being. i don't want to hear more of the same old, but i would like to hear something with the ambition that he used to have and i would like him to stop exploiting his former succes and move the fuck on and do something worthwhile. but i don't see that happening. he seems to be just a nice boring hollywood blob now. good for him

Old 08-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #12
Spankarine
Ownz

Yeah, like... stop sucking, Netphoria.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #13
aztec litany service
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
The sincerity, the energy, and the creativity in the music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistle View Post
are all things i feel are missing from sp2.

i would like to hear something with the ambition that he used to have and i would like him to stop exploiting his former succes and move the fuck on
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbridge
What I do find really distressing is that fact that people are so afraid of Change.
i'd love some real change right about now

Quote:
yeah, right

Quote:
it could be perhaps, but i don't think it will be.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #14
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

It's SP2

Old 08-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #15
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I propose separate subforums- one dedicated to the vintage pumpkins and the other to "SP2" as you put it

Old 08-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #16
aztec litany service
Apocalyptic Poster

oh, wait a sec, this rocks haha
i was looking for yt vids of the recent shows..i want a SBD of this shit right here:

and i just listened to the davenport show. US was great. i didn't know he still did so much screaming. scream billy scream!
and once upon a time was beautiful.
i guess they are the pumpkins. it feels good to be wrong hehe.

oh and how he goes on a rant about how politics is a bunch of shit and sp aren't FUCKING DONE, then screws up the today intro. awesome, lol.

Last edited by aztec litany service : 08-16-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #17
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Today I want to address something to all of those people who are so upset the fact that I don't know the difference between TBITEITB and TEITBITE. They are OH so in passionately upset, because "How Dare I ask a question that could easily be researched through google or spfc?" How DARE I criticize a track someone may actually like (which is doubtful is most cases) so much. How DARE I not know I'm going to get flamed for silly narrow-minded questions?

Old 08-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #18
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:

yeah, it's just when people get into questioning the motivations behind it:

Quote:
pandering to people's expectations and playing it safe. billy's generally become exactly what he was always proud of the smashing pumpkins not being.
that gets a bit tiresome. i think Billy and Jimmy have made it clear that they are still pushing themselves to do things that feel new to them and music they believe in. you know you don't have to like it, but trying to criticize the integrity of it is pointless.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
Springbridge
Ownz

IwishIwasBlack, asking the differences between TEITBITE and TBITEITB was just me testing your knowledge, and you failed.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #20
mistle
bonnie stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcm View Post
yeah, it's just when people get into questioning the motivations behind it:

that gets a bit tiresome. i think Billy and Jimmy have made it clear that they are still pushing themselves to do things that feel new to them and music they believe in. you know you don't have to like it, but trying to criticize the integrity of it is pointless.
billy said they weren't trying to do anything extraordinary and described zeitgeist as a 'hello'. how's that for pointless

Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #21
Springbridge
Ownz

Quote:
are all things i feel are missing from sp2. it's funny how people like you always accuse people of living in the past when billy's the one carrying on the name after they broke up with half the band missing and makes an album that sounds like a watered down imitation of their hey day. pandering to people's expectations and playing it safe. billy's generally become exactly what he was always proud of the smashing pumpkins not being. i don't want to hear more of the same old, but i would like to hear something with the ambition that he used to have and i would like him to stop exploiting his former succes and move the fuck on and do something worthwhile. but i don't see that happening. he seems to be just a nice boring hollywood blob now. good for him
If they had no ambition, then they wouldn't have formed the band up again.

If one feels Smashing Pumpkins no longer have any energy during their live shows or think new songs like gossamer are not creative, then maybe this isn't the band for you anymore. You might find more self-satisfaction blowing the dust off of your old Bush X CD.

Last edited by Springbridge : 08-16-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #22
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
billy said they weren't trying to do anything extraordinary and described zeitgeist as a 'hello'. how's that for pointless
when did he say it was supposed to be nothing extraordinary? i mean their intentions are clear with statements like this:

Billy: The consistent line through those five records was risk taking. That is fact. And we always managed to insert a kind of random chaos in every release that, like a form of gambling, helps you to win big or lose big. We could live, and did live for, that chance taking. And I think that is the point of emphasis: the risk taking. Not the outcomes. The outcomes affect the willingness to take risk, and that's how we find out sometimes who we are, by who we are not. What makes us unusual is we've been willing to share that risk publically.

Jimmy: We had to make a choice as to what was more important to us: Art or someone else's version of success. We consistently chose our music and we found a home there. We learned a long time ago that by being consistent with our own vision that we could stay ahead of the game and vital, if only to ourselves.

Billy: I think our work now is quite strong, as solid as it's been since the mid-90's. At the end of the day, I have to trust our judgment on the level of our work above all others, because it has gotten us this far. "Far" meaning alive, motivated, and still out there.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #23
Springbridge
Ownz

Quote:
when did he say it was supposed to be nothing extraordinary? i mean their intentions are clear with statements like this:

Billy: The consistent line through those five records was risk taking. That is fact. And we always managed to insert a kind of random chaos in every release that, like a form of gambling, helps you to win big or lose big. We could live, and did live for, that chance taking. And I think that is the point of emphasis: the risk taking. Not the outcomes. The outcomes affect the willingness to take risk, and that's how we find out sometimes who we are, by who we are not. What makes us unusual is we've been willing to share that risk publically.

Jimmy: We had to make a choice as to what was more important to us: Art or someone else's version of success. We consistently chose our music and we found a home there. We learned a long time ago that by being consistent with our own vision that we could stay ahead of the game and vital, if only to ourselves.

Billy: I think our work now is quite strong, as solid as it's been since the mid-90's. At the end of the day, I have to trust our judgment on the level of our work above all others, because it has gotten us this far. "Far" meaning alive, motivated, and still out there.
Very well said.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #24
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

fuck you springbridge!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #25
Springbridge
Ownz

Quote:
fuck you springbridge!
<3

Old 08-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #26
T&T
Socialphobic

i listened to Siamese dream the other day
and it wasn't the same
i really didn't like Cherub Rockz
and Q.U.I.E.T.
and wtf wa with Dis-Arm (My Love is)
Soma just went on and on and on in guitar wankery
and the last song was such pretentious bullshit. uke:

and the multiple versions of pissed me off the most
it just wasn't the same anymore guys
why does billy have a time machine and change the way things were?
i want the way things were to stay the same.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #27
ChaosEffect
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
<3
how gay!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #28
Springbridge
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosEffect View Post
how gay!
That's very mature of you. Welcome to my thread, and thank you for adding your intellectual response.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #29
slunken
Virgo

Old 08-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
MonteLDS
*sigh*

i like the smashing pumpkins, but i don't want to lecture people who don't.