Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #31
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan
I'll be drunkenly honest. I like that CD. Pumpkins completely kick that CDs ass, but I like it. I gotta be honest.
it isn't that bad, there are a few songs i listen to while working out, particularly house of wolves

Old 09-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #32
Deadeyes
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday
lol I just watched that. how old are they? they must be like 20 years old. that dude's hair is really fluffy. gerard his hair is too black and too long he needs to shorten it up or something and not wear all black with his black hair. the other kid needs to do something else with the hair too. not liking the hair styles. they are sweet though. the my favorite albums is cute sd and mctis. =)
But what did you think about their hair?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #33
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_adore_adore
I have one velvet revolver CD and I actually quite like it. He does have a nice voice.

And I dig The Black Parade. It can't be explained. It just happens.

Hey mayday, are you happy?

http://www.buzzgrinder.com/images/gerard-way-mcr.jpeg

iz hiz hare 2 blak now?
yep
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...1856595017.jpg

btw im seeing tori amos tonight cant wait

Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #34
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah, I know he dyed it black again. Jerk. I thought it looked sweet that white-blond.

ALMOST LIKE D'ARCY OMGZZ!!

TORI TORI!!! So exciting! I want to see her, but her tickets for chicago are like $60 if I want halfway decent seats...

Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #35
erry
Amish Rake Fighter

MCR is disgusting!they always say that they influenced by SP but..they have got nothing!they're shit!how that man can say today=pop song?!IDIOTS!
ppl are stupid..how a person can listen to them.. :S

Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #36
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

Today is a pop song. Sorta.

Quote:
they always say that they influenced by SP
no, they say SP influenced THEM. Big difference, buddy.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #37
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

Quote:
Today is a pop song. Sorta.

no, they say SP influenced THEM. Big difference, buddy.
he just forgot the word 'are', i'm pretty sure

Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #38
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

oh.

hahahhhahahaha

well HE SHOULDA REMEMBERED IT

Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #39
commando
Apocalyptic Poster

Newsflash: Today is a pop song.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #40
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I have one velvet revolver CD and I actually quite like it. He does have a nice voice.

And I dig The Black Parade. It can't be explained. It just happens.

Hey mayday, are you happy?

iz hiz hare 2 blak now?

no but his style doesn't do anything for me

Old 09-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #41
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

tori amos is an interesting artist

Old 09-09-2007, 11:22 PM   #42
Kurbis
Pledge

WHEN I WAS

Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #43
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

He looks like D'arcy did in her mugshot.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #44
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbis

Old 09-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #45
chris1979
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by erry
MCR is disgusting!they always say that they influenced by SP but..they have got nothing!they're shit!how that man can say today=pop song?!IDIOTS!
Not like Britney Spears "pop". He's refering to the melodic structure of the song and I think he's right.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #46
exactlythesame
Minion of Satan

Location: I thought what I'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

b0llyyyyyyyyyyy

Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #47
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

look, he painted his hand red too.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #48
Caine Walker
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by erry
this guy is awesome.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #49
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

i still don't see the resemblance between him and corgan.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #50
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive
i still don't see the resemblance between him and corgan.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...eymilk/mcr.jpg

Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #51
JessiMercury
Ownz

when that film crew interviewed me and my friends in asheville, i said "i really like tarantula, because it sounds just like my chemical romance!"

i was just being a bitch because MCR sucks.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #52
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

well can you see it now? lol. yeah they have some similar features and i guess gerard (sp?) loves Bill and wants to be like 'im

Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #53
mayday
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactlythesame

Old 09-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #54
Liffey
Ownz

edit: nevermind

Last edited by Liffey : 09-10-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #55
skipgo
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan
i dont give a fuck what anybody says here, a lot of people just bash weiland here because its the "hip" thing to do here, that guy has got talent, sure velvet revolver sucks, but most musicians make shit at one point. weilands got a great voice and wrote some great songs with stp.
i used to hate stp so much, when their first album was out I was pretty sure they just wanted to be a slightly heavier version of pearl jam, and I still don't like Core. But they seemed to improve with each new album and found a sound of their own. I really dig a lot of their songs now, which is something i never thought i'd say. Interstate Love Song, Sour Girl, Lady Picture Show, Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart... i love all of those. and As for velvet revolver, Loving the Alien is a great song.

Helena, I don't Love You, and Cancer are all pretty decent MCR songs. And I kind of like the song the black parade. Other than that, I can't really listen to much of their other stuff without cringing...i've tried, couldn't do it. I still think it's a pretty stupid concept to hate on a band just because they are supposedly uncool. I said it in some other thread, but I'll say it again here, Smashing Pumpkins isn't really considered a "cool" band to like either. They get a lot of hate from blogs, magazines, etc. It's pretty stupid. I like to listen to whatever appeals to me, who gives a shit if anyone else likes it? I don't tailor my musical taste to impress anyone, and people who do are pretty lame. I've known a lot of people who do this...

Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #56
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciGarski
we already have a corgan rules. thats more than enough.
yeah, but corgan rules types in complete sentences and is generally coherent. that's not very awesome.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #57
Caine Walker
Braindead

when did you become "ciGarski", btw?

Old 09-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #58
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

My Chemical Romance
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from My chemical romance)
• Learn more about citing Wikipedia •
Jump to: navigation, search
My Chemical Romance
My Chemical Romance in Perth, Australia in 2007.
Background information
Origin Jersey City, New Jersey, USA
Genre(s) Alternative rock
Pop punk
Disputed subgenres
Years active 2001-present
Label(s) Eyeball, Reprise/Warner Music
Associated
acts Pencey Prep
Leathermouth
Website mychemicalromance.com
Members
Gerard Way
Ray Toro
Frank Iero
Bob Bryar
Mikey Way
Former members
Matt Pelissier

My Chemical Romance (often shortened to MCR)[1] is an American alternative rock band that formed in 2001. The current members of the band are Gerard Way, Ray Toro, Frank Iero, Mikey Way, and Bob Bryar. Shortly after forming, the band signed to Eyeball Records and released their debut album I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love in 2002. They signed with Reprise Records the next year and released their major label debut Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge in 2004. The album was a major commercial success, selling over two million copies due in part to the success of the singles "Helena", "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)", and "The Ghost of You". The band followed this success with 2006's The Black Parade, featuring their biggest hit "Welcome to the Black Parade". While the band identifies their sound as simply "rock", the subgenre of the band's recordings has been a subject of debate among fans and the media.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Biography
o 1.1 Early career (2001–2002)
o 1.2 Mainstream breakthrough (2003–2006)
o 1.3 The Black Parade (August 2006–current)
* 2 Musical style and influences
* 3 Criticism
* 4 MCRmy
* 5 Band members
o 5.1 Current members
o 5.2 Former members
o 5.3 The Black Parade World Tour/Projekt Revolution members
* 6 Discography
* 7 References
* 8 External links

Biography

Early career (2001–2002)

The band was formed by frontman Gerard Way and ex-drummer Matt Pelissier around a week after the September 11, 2001 attacks. Witnessing the planes crash into the World Trade Center influenced Way's life to the extent that he decided to start a band. Way wrote the song "Skylines and Turnstiles" to express his feelings about September 11th. Shortly thereafter, Ray Toro was called up and asked to join the band because at the time Way couldn't sing and play the guitar at the same time.[2] The first recording sessions were done in Pelissier's attic, where the songs "Our Lady of Sorrows" (formerly called "Bring More Knives") and "Cubicles" were recorded. Mikey Way, the younger brother of Gerard, loved the demo so much that he decided to join the band.[2]

My Chemical Romance was signed with Eyeball Records and played in the same room as Pencey Prep and Thursday. It was there that the band met Frank Iero, the lead vocalist and guitarist for Pencey Prep. After Pencey Prep broke up in 2001/2002, Frank became a guitarist for My Chemical Romance, just days before the band's debut album was recorded.[2] Three months after the formation of the band they recorded their debut album, I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love, subsequently released in 2002 on Eyeball Records. Despite only joining the band a few days before the album recording sessions began, Iero played guitar on two of the tracks, one of them being "Early Sunsets Over Monroeville".

Mainstream breakthrough (2003–2006)

In 2003, the band signed a deal with Reprise Records. Following a tour with Avenged Sevenfold, the band began work on their second album, entitled Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Released in 2004, the album went platinum within a year. The band released three singles from the album: "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)", "Helena" and "The Ghost of You". It was during this time that the band replaced Matt Pelissier with Bob Bryar, after they went to Japan in July 2004. The true nature of Pelissier's departure was due to an argument with band member Ray Toro as a result of mistakes made by the drummer during live performances.[citation needed]

At the start of 2005, the band was directly supported on the first ever Taste of Chaos tour, and was also the opening act for Green Day on the American Idiot tour. During the summer, they co-headlined the Warped Tour 2005 with Fall Out Boy. Later that year, My Chemical Romance co-headlined and headlined their own tour with Alkaline Trio and Reggie and the Full Effect around the US. That same year, My Chemical Romance collaborated with The Used for a cover of the David Bowie and Queen classic, "Under Pressure" that was released as a benefit single on iTunes and other Internet outlets.

On March 21, 2006, a 2 DVD/1 CD set entitled Life on the Murder Scene was released. It *******d one DVD chronicling the band's history, and a second DVD with music videos, the making of their videos, and a couple of live performances. An unauthorized biography DVD Things That Make You Go MMM! was also released on June 27, 2006. The DVD does not actually feature any My Chemical Romance music clips or performances, but contains interviews with those who knew the band before much of their fame.[3]

The band started recording their third studio album on April 10, 2006 with Rob Cavallo, producer of many of Green Day's albums.[4][5] It was originally thought to be titled The Rise and Fall of My Chemical Romance, but in an interview with Kerrang! magazine, Gerard Way suggested this was just the album's working title, stating "It was never the title of the album, more a spoof, or joke."[6] On August 3, 2006, the band finished shooting the videos for their first two singles from the album, "Welcome to the Black Parade" and "Famous Last Words", to be released on January 22, 2007.[7] The video was directed by Sam Bayer, director of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Green Day's American Idiot videos.[8] During the shoot for "Famous Last Words", band members Gerard Way and Bob Bryar were injured. Way suffered torn ligaments in his ankle, and Bryar a burn to the leg which caused a severe staph infection that needed constant monitoring in hospital. Consequently, the band was forced to cancel a few tour dates. While these injuries were reported by several news agencies to have been the result of a car accident, a statement released by the band on their website and MySpace page has confirmed that these injuries occurred on the set of the video.[9]

The Black Parade (August 2006–current)
Announcement of The Black Parade at London Hammersmith Palais

A biography titled Something Incredible This Way Comes was released, written by Paul Stenning (Published in 2006). It features their beginnings, right through to The Black Parade. On August 22, 2006, the band played a special one-off show at the 1800-capacity London Hammersmith Palais. The show sold out in 15 minutes prompting tickets being sold on eBay well over the tickets' face value. The name of the album they promoted was announced and 20 people dressed in black capes with their faces obscured paraded around Hammersmith, followed by a large group of fans and street team members with signs saying "The Black Parade". Later during the show the album title and the UK release date were confirmed. Prior to the band taking the stage it was announced that My Chemical Romance were unable to play, but they would be replaced by "The Black Parade". After initial crowd hostility it became clear the band were simply performing under a pseudonym in keeping with the theme of the album. When the set began, the backdrop art displayed the words "The Black Parade".[citation needed]

On September 2, 2006, My Chemical Romance posted "Welcome to the Black Parade" on their MySpace page and their PureVolume page.[9] "Welcome to the Black Parade" had its first radio airing on September 11, 2006. On September 26, 2006 the "Welcome to the Black Parade" music video was released in the UK, and on September 27 in the US.[6]

On October 12, 2006, My Chemical Romance made a rare in-store performance to 500 fans at Virgin Megastores on London's Oxford Street. In order to get wristbands for the event, many fans slept outside the shop the previous night. British band Towers of London caused trouble at the event when the Towers guitarist, Dirk Tourette, allegedly flicked a cigarette butt at Bob Bryar while he was performing.[10] "Welcome to the Black Parade" reached number one on October 15, 2006, on the UK Singles Chart, giving them their first number one. The Black Parade was released on October 23, 2006 in the United Kingdom and on October 24, 2006 in the United States.

The Black Parade World Tour started on February 22, 2007, with Rise Against, Thursday and Muse as support acts.[11] At the first concert of the tour in Manchester, New Hampshire, My Chemical Romance announced the addition of Reggie and the Full Effect frontman James Dewees, who will play keyboards/synth on the tour. On March 12, 2007, the band appeared on the The Tonight Show with Jay Leno as the host. They played their single, "Famous Last Words" at the ending of the show as flames were bursting behind them.

My Chemical Romance received many positive and negative accolades. In Kerrang! magazine, issue 1138, My Chemical Romance won the following categories in the 2006 poll: Best Band, Worst Band, Best Album (The Black Parade), Worst Album (The Black Parade), Best Track ("Welcome to the Black Parade"), Best Video ("Welcome to the Black Parade"), Best Live Show, Best Thing about 2006, Worst Thing about 2006, Hero of 2006 (Gerard Way), Villain of 2006 (Gerard Way), and Sexiest Male (Gerard Way). Also, in issue 1139, Kerrang! rated The Black Parade as the 4th Greatest Album of 2006. In Rolling Stone magazine's ranking of the top 50 albums of 2006, The Black Parade was voted the 20th best album of the year. My Chemical Romance won the award for "Best International Band" at the 2007 NME Awards. Gerard also won the "Hero of the Year" award.[12]

On April 19, 2007, it was announced that Mikey Way would temporarily leave My Chemical Romance's 2007 tour to spend time with his new wife, Alicia Simmons-Way. Mikey's temporary replacement was Matt Cortez, a tech, and friend of the band. On August 29, 2007 during a concert in Holmdel, New Jersey, Mikey returned for the performance of the group's song song "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)".[13]

During the third leg of The Black Parade World Tour with support act Muse, members of My Chemical Romance band and crew and members of Muse’s crew were struck by food poisoning, thus canceling six shows.[14] My Chemical Romance will be a part of Linkin Park's Projekt Revolution tour in 2007,[15] along with, Placebo, Mindless Self Indulgence, Saosin, Taking Back Sunday, HIM, and Linkin Park. According to a radio interview (WXDX - Pittsburgh) with Linkin Park's DJ Joe Hahn, the band plans to announce official dates on their website in early May.[16]

Four original recordings from The Black Parade were featured on the Xbox 360 release of Guitar Hero II. "Dead!" was added to the song list in-game, and as of August 14, 2007 three more tracks were made available via bulk download from the Xbox Live Marketplace: "This is How I Disappear", "Teenagers", and "Famous Last Words". The My Chemical Romance Track Pack is available for 500 Microsoft Points. [17]

It was announced that My Chemical Romance will be on a headlining tour in Europe with Mindless Self Indulgence opening, starting in October. [18]

Musical style and influences

My Chemical Romance's music has been described by the media as "pop punk",[19] "emo", "alternative rock", "post-hardcore"[19] and "punk revival".[19] The band themselves described their music as simply "rock" or "violent, dangerous pop" on their official website,[20] as well as rejecting the term "emo"[21] to describe their style, though another source quotes frontman Way stating that they are "What-else-ya-got-emo".[2]

My Chemical Romance cite their main influences as Queen, Thursday, Iron Maiden, The Misfits, Morrissey/The Smiths[22] and the Beastie Boys.[23] Gerard Way has said, "We love bands like Queen, where it's huge and majestic, but also bands like Black Flag and the Misfits, who would go absolutely crazy."[24] Way has also said that his band patterns their career after that of The Smashing Pumpkins, another band they admire.[25] Geoff Rickly, the lead singer of Thursday, has compared My Chemical Romance to Ink & Dagger.[2] Growing up, they were also very influenced by horror films and comic books, and therefore their music, lyrics, and image all have overt elements of fantasy, storytelling, horror, and theatricality.

The band's name "My Chemical Romance" is taken from a line from the Irvine Welsh novels Trainspotting (later made into the successful UK film of the same name) and its sequel Porno, which allude to the use of drugs (in particular, heroin) as providing a "chemical romance".[1]

Criticism
MCR being bottled at Download.

My Chemical Romance was among the first bands to achieve prominence by offering free downloads through PureVolume[26] and the social networking site MySpace, where MCR gathered its first few thousand fans.[27] The band has clearly grown well beyond those initial numbers, expanding their fan base beyond the typical fans of their musical style and direction,[28] partially helped by the more mainstream sound of their 2004 album, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. MCR are sometimes maligned by the "grassroots" fans, for the expanded fan base, after the release of Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Due to the increased amount of new fans, some of the old fanbase considers the band a "sellout" and the new MCR fans "posers". The fans are particularly vocal on online forums.[29][30]

My Chemical Romance played the main stage at the 2006 Reading and Leeds Festival—this was the largest show they have ever played in the UK. According to issue 221 of Alternative Press, they followed thrash metal band Slayer and were not received warmly by the crowd at Reading, as the band was subjected to heavy bottling. Large sections of the audience threw bacon, tangerines, golf balls, and bottles filled with urine at the group as they played.[31] The band were also heavily bottled at the Download Festival 2007 at the start of their set, but eventually the crowd calmed down. They left the stage twenty minutes early, before Korn (who were playing the second stage at the same time) finished,[citation needed] for safety reasons.

Numerous artists in other bands have criticised the band openly in the media, amongst them is Marilyn Manson; he wrote the song "Mutilation is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery" as an attack on the band for his Eat Me, Drink Me release. Stating in an interview that "I'm embarrassed to be me because these people are doing a really sad, pitiful, shallow version of what I've done". In response to this, Gerard Way claimed nothing Manson could say would bring the band down and there has been no real criticism of the band from anyone that they have taken seriously so far.[32]

MCRmy

The MCRmy (pronounced MC-army), or 'Rmy', is a publicity street team for the band My Chemical Romance, which helps in bringing friends to the shows, convincing friends to buy band merchandise, phoning local radio stations to request the band's songs, putting up posters, posting to band forums or related bulletin boards online, and maintaining zines or websites dedicated to the band. Members even went as far to organise parades in the streets before the release of The Black Parade. [citation needed]

Originally the street team went by the name "Unleash the Bats" or "UTB" as it was shortened to, which is a line from the inside cover of the first album, I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love. Sometime later the street team began calling themselves the "MCRmy" and referring to themselves as "Soldiers of the MCRmy".[33] The street team is run by Warner Bros.

The community of members work closely and take pride in the "family" community that they have created around the similar interest of one band. Due to the overwhelming support that members of the street team offer each other, the MCRmy medics was created in 2007 as a support system for those who need to talk to someone about their problems, but have no one else to turn to. The street team also offers Local Teams to which members can ask to be a part of. The teams are run by a Lieutenant who organises promotion in their area's with the aid of their team.

My Chemical Romance
My Chemical Romance
Background information
Pop punk
Disputed subgenres
Associated
acts Pencey Prep
Leathermouth
Members
Gerard Way
Ray Toro
Frank Iero
Bob Bryar
Mikey Way
Former members
Matt Pelissier

My Chemical Romance (often shortened to MCR)[1] is an American alternative rock band that formed in 2001. The current members of the band are Gerard Way, Ray Toro, Frank Iero, Mikey Way, and Bob Bryar. Shortly after forming, the band signed to Eyeball Records and released their debut album I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love in 2002. They signed with Reprise Records the next year and released their major label debut Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge in 2004. The album was a major commercial success, selling over two million copies due in part to the success of the singles "Helena", "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)", and "The Ghost of You". The band followed this success with 2006's The Black Parade, featuring their biggest hit "Welcome to the Black Parade". While the band identifies their sound as simply "rock", the subgenre of the band's recordings has been a subject of debate among fans and the media.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Biography
* 3 Criticism
* 4 MCRmy
* 5 Band members
o 5.1 Current members
o 5.2 Former members
* 6 Discography
* 7 References
* 8 External links

Biography

Early career (2001–2002)

The band was formed by frontman Gerard Way and ex-drummer Matt Pelissier around a week after the September 11, 2001 attacks. Witnessing the planes crash into the World Trade Center influenced Way's life to the extent that he decided to start a band. Way wrote the song "Skylines and Turnstiles" to express his feelings about September 11th. Shortly thereafter, Ray Toro was called up and asked to join the band because at the time Way couldn't sing and play the guitar at the same time.[2] The first recording sessions were done in Pelissier's attic, where the songs "Our Lady of Sorrows" (formerly called "Bring More Knives") and "Cubicles" were recorded. Mikey Way, the younger brother of Gerard, loved the demo so much that he decided to join the band.[2]

My Chemical Romance was signed with Eyeball Records and played in the same room as Pencey Prep and Thursday. It was there that the band met Frank Iero, the lead vocalist and guitarist for Pencey Prep. After Pencey Prep broke up in 2001/2002, Frank became a guitarist for My Chemical Romance, just days before the band's debut album was recorded.[2] Three months after the formation of the band they recorded their debut album, I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love, subsequently released in 2002 on Eyeball Records. Despite only joining the band a few days before the album recording sessions began, Iero played guitar on two of the tracks, one of them being "Early Sunsets Over Monroeville".

In 2003, the band signed a deal with Reprise Records. Following a tour with Avenged Sevenfold, the band began work on their second album, entitled Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Released in 2004, the album went platinum within a year. The band released three singles from the album: "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)", "Helena" and "The Ghost of You". It was during this time that the band replaced Matt Pelissier with Bob Bryar, after they went to Japan in July 2004. The true nature of Pelissier's departure was due to an argument with band member Ray Toro as a result of mistakes made by the drummer during live performances.[citation needed]

At the start of 2005, the band was directly supported on the first ever Taste of Chaos tour, and was also the opening act for Green Day on the American Idiot tour. During the summer, they co-headlined the Warped Tour 2005 with Fall Out Boy. Later that year, My Chemical Romance co-headlined and headlined their own tour with Alkaline Trio and Reggie and the Full Effect around the US. That same year, My Chemical Romance collaborated with The Used for a cover of the David Bowie and Queen classic, "Under Pressure" that was released as a benefit single on iTunes and other Internet outlets.

On March 21, 2006, a 2 DVD/1 CD set entitled Life on the Murder Scene was released. It *******d one DVD chronicling the band's history, and a second DVD with music videos, the making of their videos, and a couple of live performances. An unauthorized biography DVD Things That Make You Go MMM! was also released on June 27, 2006. The DVD does not actually feature any My Chemical Romance music clips or performances, but contains interviews with those who knew the band before much of their fame.[3]

The band started recording their third studio album on April 10, 2006 with Rob Cavallo, producer of many of Green Day's albums.[4][5] It was originally thought to be titled The Rise and Fall of My Chemical Romance, but in an interview with Kerrang! magazine, Gerard Way suggested this was just the album's working title, stating "It was never the title of the album, more a spoof, or joke."[6] On August 3, 2006, the band finished shooting the videos for their first two singles from the album, "Welcome to the Black Parade" and "Famous Last Words", to be released on January 22, 2007.[7] The video was directed by Sam Bayer, director of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Green Day's American Idiot videos.[8] During the shoot for "Famous Last Words", band members Gerard Way and Bob Bryar were injured. Way suffered torn ligaments in his ankle, and Bryar a burn to the leg which caused a severe staph infection that needed constant monitoring in hospital. Consequently, the band was forced to cancel a few tour dates. While these injuries were reported by several news agencies to have been the result of a car accident, a statement released by the band on their website and MySpace page has confirmed that these injuries occurred on the set of the video.[9]

A biography titled Something Incredible This Way Comes was released, written by Paul Stenning (Published in 2006). It features their beginnings, right through to The Black Parade. On August 22, 2006, the band played a special one-off show at the 1800-capacity London Hammersmith Palais. The show sold out in 15 minutes prompting tickets being sold on eBay well over the tickets' face value. The name of the album they promoted was announced and 20 people dressed in black capes with their faces obscured paraded around Hammersmith, followed by a large group of fans and street team members with signs saying "The Black Parade". Later during the show the album title and the UK release date were confirmed. Prior to the band taking the stage it was announced that My Chemical Romance were unable to play, but they would be replaced by "The Black Parade". After initial crowd hostility it became clear the band were simply performing under a pseudonym in keeping with the theme of the album. When the set began, the backdrop art displayed the words "The Black Parade".[citation needed]

On September 2, 2006, My Chemical Romance posted "Welcome to the Black Parade" on their MySpace page and their PureVolume page.[9] "Welcome to the Black Parade" had its first radio airing on September 11, 2006. On September 26, 2006 the "Welcome to the Black Parade" music video was released in the UK, and on September 27 in the US.[6]

On October 12, 2006, My Chemical Romance made a rare in-store performance to 500 fans at Virgin Megastores on London's Oxford Street. In order to get wristbands for the event, many fans slept outside the shop the previous night. British band Towers of London caused trouble at the event when the Towers guitarist, Dirk Tourette, allegedly flicked a cigarette butt at Bob Bryar while he was performing.[10] "Welcome to the Black Parade" reached number one on October 15, 2006, on the UK Singles Chart, giving them their first number one. The Black Parade was released on October 23, 2006 in the United Kingdom and on October 24, 2006 in the United States.

The Black Parade World Tour started on February 22, 2007, with Rise Against, Thursday and Muse as support acts.[11] At the first concert of the tour in Manchester, New Hampshire, My Chemical Romance announced the addition of Reggie and the Full Effect frontman James Dewees, who will play keyboards/synth on the tour. On March 12, 2007, the band appeared on the The Tonight Show with Jay Leno as the host. They played their single, "Famous Last Words" at the ending of the show as flames were bursting behind them.

My Chemical Romance received many positive and negative accolades. In Kerrang! magazine, issue 1138, My Chemical Romance won the following categories in the 2006 poll: Best Band, Worst Band, Best Album (The Black Parade), Worst Album (The Black Parade), Best Track ("Welcome to the Black Parade"), Best Video ("Welcome to the Black Parade"), Best Live Show, Best Thing about 2006, Worst Thing about 2006, Hero of 2006 (Gerard Way), Villain of 2006 (Gerard Way), and Sexiest Male (Gerard Way). Also, in issue 1139, Kerrang! rated The Black Parade as the 4th Greatest Album of 2006. In Rolling Stone magazine's ranking of the top 50 albums of 2006, The Black Parade was voted the 20th best album of the year. My Chemical Romance won the award for "Best International Band" at the 2007 NME Awards. Gerard also won the "Hero of the Year" award.[12]

On April 19, 2007, it was announced that Mikey Way would temporarily leave My Chemical Romance's 2007 tour to spend time with his new wife, Alicia Simmons-Way. Mikey's temporary replacement was Matt Cortez, a tech, and friend of the band. On August 29, 2007 during a concert in Holmdel, New Jersey, Mikey returned for the performance of the group's song song "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)".[13]

During the third leg of The Black Parade World Tour with support act Muse, members of My Chemical Romance band and crew and members of Muse’s crew were struck by food poisoning, thus canceling six shows.[14] My Chemical Romance will be a part of Linkin Park's Projekt Revolution tour in 2007,[15] along with, Placebo, Mindless Self Indulgence, Saosin, Taking Back Sunday, HIM, and Linkin Park. According to a radio interview (WXDX - Pittsburgh) with Linkin Park's DJ Joe Hahn, the band plans to announce official dates on their website in early May.[16]

Four original recordings from The Black Parade were featured on the Xbox 360 release of Guitar Hero II. "Dead!" was added to the song list in-game, and as of August 14, 2007 three more tracks were made available via bulk download from the Xbox Live Marketplace: "This is How I Disappear", "Teenagers", and "Famous Last Words". The My Chemical Romance Track Pack is available for 500 Microsoft Points. [17]

It was announced that My Chemical Romance will be on a headlining tour in Europe with Mindless Self Indulgence opening, starting in October. [18]

My Chemical Romance's music has been described by the media as "pop punk",[19] "emo", "alternative rock", "post-hardcore"[19] and "punk revival".[19] The band themselves described their music as simply "rock" or "violent, dangerous pop" on their official website,[20] as well as rejecting the term "emo"[21] to describe their style, though another source quotes frontman Way stating that they are "What-else-ya-got-emo".[2]

My Chemical Romance cite their main influences as Queen, Thursday, Iron Maiden, The Misfits, Morrissey/The Smiths[22] and the Beastie Boys.[23] Gerard Way has said, "We love bands like Queen, where it's huge and majestic, but also bands like Black Flag and the Misfits, who would go absolutely crazy."[24] Way has also said that his band patterns their career after that of The Smashing Pumpkins, another band they admire.[25] Geoff Rickly, the lead singer of Thursday, has compared My Chemical Romance to Ink & Dagger.[2] Growing up, they were also very influenced by horror films and comic books, and therefore their music, lyrics, and image all have overt elements of fantasy, storytelling, horror, and theatricality.

The band's name "My Chemical Romance" is taken from a line from the Irvine Welsh novels Trainspotting (later made into the successful UK film of the same name) and its sequel Porno, which allude to the use of drugs (in particular, heroin) as providing a "chemical romance".[1]

Criticism

My Chemical Romance was among the first bands to achieve prominence by offering free downloads through PureVolume[26] and the social networking site MySpace, where MCR gathered its first few thousand fans.[27] The band has clearly grown well beyond those initial numbers, expanding their fan base beyond the typical fans of their musical style and direction,[28] partially helped by the more mainstream sound of their 2004 album, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. MCR are sometimes maligned by the "grassroots" fans, for the expanded fan base, after the release of Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Due to the increased amount of new fans, some of the old fanbase considers the band a "sellout" and the new MCR fans "posers". The fans are particularly vocal on online forums.[29][30]

My Chemical Romance played the main stage at the 2006 Reading and Leeds Festival—this was the largest show they have ever played in the UK. According to issue 221 of Alternative Press, they followed thrash metal band Slayer and were not received warmly by the crowd at Reading, as the band was subjected to heavy bottling. Large sections of the audience threw bacon, tangerines, golf balls, and bottles filled with urine at the group as they played.[31] The band were also heavily bottled at the Download Festival 2007 at the start of their set, but eventually the crowd calmed down. They left the stage twenty minutes early, before Korn (who were playing the second stage at the same time) finished,[citation needed] for safety reasons.

Numerous artists in other bands have criticised the band openly in the media, amongst them is Marilyn Manson; he wrote the song "Mutilation is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery" as an attack on the band for his Eat Me, Drink Me release. Stating in an interview that "I'm embarrassed to be me because these people are doing a really sad, pitiful, shallow version of what I've done". In response to this, Gerard Way claimed nothing Manson could say would bring the band down and there has been no real criticism of the band from anyone that they have taken seriously so far.[32]

MCRmy

The MCRmy (pronounced MC-army), or 'Rmy', is a publicity street team for the band My Chemical Romance, which helps in bringing friends to the shows, convincing friends to buy band merchandise, phoning local radio stations to request the band's songs, putting up posters, posting to band forums or related bulletin boards online, and maintaining zines or websites dedicated to the band. Members even went as far to organise parades in the streets before the release of The Black Parade. [citation needed]

Originally the street team went by the name "Unleash the Bats" or "UTB" as it was shortened to, which is a line from the inside cover of the first album, I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love. Sometime later the street team began calling themselves the "MCRmy" and referring to themselves as "Soldiers of the MCRmy".[33] The street team is run by Warner Bros.

The community of members work closely and take pride in the "family" community that they have created around the similar interest of one band. Due to the overwhelming support that members of the street team offer each other, the MCRmy medics was created in 2007 as a support system for those who need to talk to someone about their problems, but have no one else to turn to. The street team also offers Local Teams to which members can ask to be a part of. The teams are run by a Lieutenant who organises promotion in their area's with the aid of their team.

My Chemical Romance
My Chemical Romance
Background information
Pop punk
Disputed subgenres
Associated
acts Pencey Prep
Leathermouth
Members
Gerard Way
Ray Toro
Frank Iero
Bob Bryar
Mikey Way
Former members
Matt Pelissier

Contents
[hide]

* 1 Biography
* 3 Criticism
* 4 MCRmy
* 5 Band members
o 5.1 Current members
o 5.2 Former members
* 6 Discography
* 7 References
* 8 External links

Biography

Early career (2001–2002)

Criticism

MCRmy

Old 09-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #59
Caine Walker
Braindead

guh.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #60
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

I love when people do that. It's such a pain to drag the scrolly thing through, but my gawd it never gets old

Hey skipgo, did you ever listen to their first CD? It's better than their second one, I think. Don't trust their single ("Vampires something something crap") because it kinda sucks. But I like most of the rest of it.

And if you have heard it and don't like it, that's cool too.

MCR aren't gods.

They're just catchy.