Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2018, 07:34 PM   #901
fuzzyroes
Banned

Well, looks like Solara is off of all the charts already.

Only lasted 1 week on em all lol.

Can't be the sorta reaction Billy Corgan was hoping for with the big James/Jimmy comeback single.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #902
fuzzyroes
Banned

Also worth noting that the video didn't help give the track any traction.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #903
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Solara is actually better than Run2Me, so it would only be worse than 8 of the 9 songs on Monuments.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #904
fuzzyroes
Banned

I think the sad reality is that the new music wasn't much of a priority with the comeback. That's made rather evident in Billys correspondence with D'arcy (Billy alludes to James not being very involved). It's clear that the primary focus is on the tour and that they just whipped together some songs to use as a promotional tool.

They wouldn't have used a Monuments era throwaway if they were serious about doing something special with the new music.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #905
Ram27
dumb

even if they weren't serious, 4 minutes of them bullshitting and jamming would've been better than that

Old 07-08-2018, 10:59 PM   #906
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
Also with all the razzing Billy gets on here, I love the fact that he's still alive. I think that's why I give him the benefit of the doubt in some situations, though I'll heavily criticize him when it comes to stuff like the D'arcy fallout.
Well said.

I remember after one of the nights at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery last November, I had the thought that Chris Cornell was buried right across from where we were watching WPC play like 70 different songs over four nights and just being grateful that the lead singer of the band that resonated most with me from the 90s was still truckin' and had not succumbed to the fate of so many others.

Despite it all, I'll be loyal to that dude until the end.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #907
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

It's weird. I kinda like the song but I think I sort of forced myself to like it. Would I have given it a second listen if it wasn't the Pumpkins? Probably not.

I think my problem is that, from a guitar playing standpoint at least, it just feels lazy. The riffs are pretty good, but that's it. Are there any leads from James or Jeff in there? If there are, I can't hear them. It just sounds like they're all just playing the same chords. It reminds me of something like Transistor, a song I liked but I never understood why Billy felt the need to have something like 12 guitars all playing the same part.

I mean, if Billy and James were a couple of so-so talents with zero ability to shred, I could understand it. But they have the ability to play some really cool leads, and that's what I had hoped to hear from the new music. Instead, we get... this. It's okay, but just kinda generic. At least Jimmy is really trying.

The song at least is better than the video though. Fuck sake, what was Billy thinking with that bullshit?

Old 07-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #908
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
It's weird. I kinda like the song but I think I sort of forced myself to like it. Would I have given it a second listen if it wasn't the Pumpkins? Probably not.

I think my problem is that, from a guitar playing standpoint at least, it just feels lazy. The riffs are pretty good, but that's it. Are there any leads from James or Jeff in there? If there are, I can't hear them. It just sounds like they're all just playing the same chords. It reminds me of something like Transistor, a song I liked but I never understood why Billy felt the need to have something like 12 guitars all playing the same part.

I mean, if Billy and James were a couple of so-so talents with zero ability to shred, I could understand it. But they have the ability to play some really cool leads, and that's what I had hoped to hear from the new music. Instead, we get... this. It's okay, but just kinda generic. At least Jimmy is really trying.

The song at least is better than the video though. Fuck sake, what was Billy thinking with that bullshit?
Welcome to Netphoria Zer0 Hour, tell us about yourself

Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #909
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Welcome to Netphoria Zer0 Hour, tell us about yourself
Hey, thanks for the welcome! I've actually been here before; I used to post under another name years ago (Pugg Superstar), but for the life of me, I can't remember my password or what email account I had back then, so I had to create a new name.

All that aside, I've been Pumpkins fan forever, but it's been tough over the past decade or so. I could live with Billy putting out shitty music or just generally being a douche, but once he started hanging out with Alex Jones, I pretty much renounced my fandom. But... given that 3/4 of the original lineup is back together, I broke down and bought a ticket to see them play this month.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #910
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
But... given that 3/4 of the original lineup is back together, I broke down and bought a ticket to see them play this month.
lolololo! loser!

Old 07-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #911
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
lolololo! loser!
I seriously wouldn't be surprised if my friends and I are the only three people in the arena.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #912
FoolofaTook

i srsly wouldn't be surprised if you bumped into a suave and dapper mormon in the arena.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #913
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Does he have any hot sister wives?

Old 07-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #914
FoolofaTook

http://i41.tinypic.com/314p99z.jpg

Old 08-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #915
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face

Comparing Jimmy Chamberlin with his art rock band Skysaw with this video towards "Solara":
What a waste of time the Smashing Pumpkins have become artifically to make one even wish Jimmy had stayed in his new band...

Old 08-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #916
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Never really listened to Skysaw before but I’m digging what I’m hearing in that video, even if their lead singer looks like the lovechild of Scott Stapp and John McEnroe.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #917
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

what's the verdict on Solara now that time has passed and they've been playing it live in a bit of an altered way? I still think it blows. thanks.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #918
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

I feel like Billy’s voice sounds better when he sings it live, am I crazy? Reminds me of how shitty his vocals sound in some of the Zeitgeist songs. Does Bill have a thing about recording when he has strep throat or something?

Old 08-04-2018, 11:56 PM   #919
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, total letdown as a comeback single.

I'd figure Billy and Jimmy would be trying to avoid all things Zeitgeist, not making a carbon copy of it.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:00 AM   #920
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The Solara video is embarassing.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #921
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, it's a little weird to see Billy dressing like he's in 1998 again

Old 08-05-2018, 12:23 AM   #922
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

They would have done better to just do a straight-up performance video intercut with shots of the sun and some subliminal messages (similar to the way they perform it live). Anything would be better than that awful video.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:13 AM   #923
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Let me fix that for ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Solara and its video are embarrassing.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:14 AM   #924
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Solara Verdict: Forgettable... like most of Billy's post-Machina work

Old 08-05-2018, 04:08 AM   #925
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I completely agree with you.
the one boy (with the neil young pic) making fun of you should better listen to storytone or tonights the night - go to uncle neil, light some spliff and get on a crazy horse.

some idiots are only here to bash others here. get a life schwanzlutscher

Old 08-05-2018, 04:15 AM   #926
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

I cant remember how it goes. All I remember is the weird video.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:17 AM   #927
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
Solara is actually better than Run2Me, so it would only be worse than 8 of the 9 songs on Monuments.
I can remember Run2Me. I cannot remember Solara.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:33 AM   #928
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
I can remember Run2Me. I cannot remember Solara.
catchy vs forgettable

Old 08-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #929
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

catchy bugging vs easy forgettable

Old 08-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #930
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I can't wait for five months from now when the next 7-8 tracks are out and everyone's talking about how at least on Solara Billy was trying to "tap into some aggression"

Run2Me is scientifically proven to cause alienation, irritable bowel syndrome, nausea, vomiting and erectile dysfunction. Solara just causes mild indifference.