Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #61
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

No one believes I made half a three-star album! No one!

Old 11-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #62
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Either u love em or u hate em. I obviously do both.
not possible according to your own rules

Old 11-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #63
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
If you took all the good songs on Monuments and all the good songs on Shiny and put them together you would have... half an album.
let's be serious though, it's less than that. there are no good songs on monuments

Old 11-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #64
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
How so? Monuments was clearly the A-batch of material.

Check out Pitchfork media, they gave Monuments a far better rating than Shiny too. I think people are just biased with this new music because of the Iha/Chamberlin factor.
you're an idiot. if it suits you to invoke pitchfork, you'll do it. if it's at odds with your opinion, you'll say critics are always wrong. if it suits you to invoke public reception, you'll do it. if it's at odds with your opinion, you'll say popularity isn't an indicator of quality. there's less consistency in your mental processes than cottage cheese which has been left out of the fridge too long

Old 11-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #65
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
let's be serious though, it's less than that. there are no good songs on monuments
I have a soft spot for Tiberius and Drum & Fife. The rest is shit.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #66
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
How so? Monuments was clearly the A-batch of material.

Check out Pitchfork media, they gave Monuments a far better rating than Shiny too. I think people are just biased with this new music because of the Iha/Chamberlin factor.
Not from where I'm standing. I couldn't tell you how most of those Monuments songs went, just that they had a general cheesy, polished poppy synth feel that I also get from Alienation. And the criticism I'm seeing about stuff like that, Travels and Solara is that they're repetitive, forgettable, and uninspired, which was exactly mine and others' problem with Monuments in a nutshell. This album at least does have the benefit of James and Jimmy at the very least to add a touch of familiarity to the sound which goes a long way in my book. It sounds like SP, whereas Monuments sounded like Billy trying to be SP alone and doing a shit job of it.

I'll check out Pitchfork if I want to witness unintentional self-masturbatory comedy, but for no other reason.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #67
killingzebill
Amish Rake Fighter

I can't stop listening this record. James and Jimmy are back and the smashing pumpkins aren't a good band without them.

Definitely the best first part of a record until Adore. If the vol2 is as good as this, it will be one of my favorite record of the SP

Old 11-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #68
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

One the 0 to 10 star scale, SosB has been picking up about one star per week with me, probably just because I get used to the tracks and forget what bothered me about them. It happens with most music I listen to. For that same reason, MtaE is up to a bit over two hundred stars out of ten.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #69
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
you're an idiot. if it suits you to invoke pitchfork, you'll do it. if it's at odds with your opinion, you'll say critics are always wrong. if it suits you to invoke public reception, you'll do it. if it's at odds with your opinion, you'll say popularity isn't an indicator of quality. there's less consistency in your mental processes than cottage cheese which has been left out of the fridge too long
Look, I'm not the biggest Pitchfork fan by any means but they've certainly been spot on regarding SP releases. Rolling Stone gave Monuments a better review too. It's not a very odd or surprising opinion to prefer Monuments over Shiny.

Monuments has a handful of good songs amid some shit and Shiny has one good song amid a bunch of shit, therefore Monuments> Shiny

Old 11-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #70
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Not from where I'm standing. I couldn't tell you how most of those Monuments songs went, just that they had a general cheesy, polished poppy synth feel that I also get from Alienation. And the criticism I'm seeing about stuff like that, Travels and Solara is that they're repetitive, forgettable, and uninspired, which was exactly mine and others' problem with Monuments in a nutshell. This album at least does have the benefit of James and Jimmy at the very least to add a touch of familiarity to the sound which goes a long way in my book. It sounds like SP, whereas Monuments sounded like Billy trying to be SP alone and doing a shit job of it.

I'll check out Pitchfork if I want to witness unintentional self-masturbatory comedy, but for no other reason.
I'll give you that... Monuments sounds like 2 guys jamming and writing material whereas you can really hear the band contributions on Shiny. Monuments could really use a little more TLC as far as overdubs and stuff go... With that said, I just think the songwriting is better on Monuments.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #71
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Shiny?

Baby I ain't even listened to Siamese Dream!

I'm just here for the Jeff jokes

Old 11-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #72
FoolofaTook

Oh I thought you were here for sexy Jack Bates.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:19 AM   #73
redbreegull

Quote:
Monuments sounds like
monuments sounds the way air tastes

Old 12-01-2018, 03:46 AM   #74
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Angry

I think I've listened TOO MUCH to this record, suffering of a tinnitus since a few days...

Must be the permanent LOUDness attack.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:02 AM   #75
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
monuments sounds the way air tastes
This is what people say when they're deliberately not allowing themselves to like something.

I think, in truth, TbK is the most collectively disliked material, in that people seem to regularly forget it exists.