Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-25-2002, 07:32 PM   #91
Stupid&Contagious

Quote:
Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
you're being too vague. i think it's pretty well understood that for the bulk of time, women have been the subjegated sex, no contest. don't bring petty masculine issues into this, b/c it's really not that relevant. and no, not everyone bases their value on their sexuality. at least not in such a direct sense. i really don't think that i do, in a major way. i value things like intelligence and personality far above basic attractiveness, i mean, on a friendship level, not my ability to 'score'.
Okay, most societies in the history of the earth have been patriarchies (including this one) I never disagreed with that.
And you said that women base their value on their sexuality, I said everyone does, and now you're argueing that we don't (or at least you don't).
Well. Okay.
I'll just say that men and women are judged on their sexuality almost exactly the same.
Although men's sexuality has more to do with wealth, and women more to do with physical aspects.
And once you're resonably attractive in my mind, it becomes almost completely a question of personality. Although I'd have to say that being gorgeous only helps http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif.
And for friendship attractiveness doesn't enter into it really...I mean the guys I hang out with aren't attractive...unless I'm afriad/hoping the girl might be interested in me (yeah right)...it really doesn't matter.

Old 04-25-2002, 07:33 PM   #92
Random Female

alright. to all you folks claiming you're not a feminist: unless you believe that women are subservient to men and should be treated thus, you are a feminist. Sorry to break it to you.

and I poop on this thread.

[This message has been edited by Random Female (edited 04-25-2002).]

Old 04-25-2002, 07:34 PM   #93
PhantomFM

like if some drunk frat boy yells at me across the street @2am something about looking like a girl or a freak or "the 90s are over" or something else about having long hair, i can get pissed about it or i can say ha, what a loser, he thinks i care what he thinks!

obviously i dont think its exactly the same, but it is all in how you take it. if you were abused i can understand how this would be very hard to deal with, but otherwise it gives you the power over the googlers and whislers.

------------------
PhantomFM

Old 04-25-2002, 07:39 PM   #94
StereoGirl

Thumbs down

But if it's a guy you're into that's staring at your chest, it's different issue, right?

Old 04-25-2002, 07:40 PM   #95
Stupid&Contagious

Quote:
i think you make a lot of good points, and i for one, am usually not too terribly bothered if i guy looks at my boobs or something. usually i just toss shit like that off. that doesn't, however, make the action RIGHT or RESPONSIBLE. just like some people can slag off being made fun of or abused doesn't mean the abuse is proper. of course i'm exaggerating for the purpose of argument, but the essential point remains the same.
Quote:
but it isn't abuse. and it isn't being made fun of. It's some guy appreciating your body and you getting annoyed or insulted or bothered by it until you decide to shrug it off.

Old 04-25-2002, 07:41 PM   #96
Lie

Quote:
Originally posted by StereoGirl:
But if it's a guy you're into that's staring at your chest, it's different issue, right?
Or like I said before, what if it's a girl?

Old 04-25-2002, 07:43 PM   #97
kypper

Talking

I feel for eggplant tonight...

------------------
http://www.emotioneric.com/catchgf.jpg

Old 04-25-2002, 07:44 PM   #98
StereoGirl

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie:
Or like I said before, what if it's a girl?
If you're a straight girl and another straight girl is checking out your ass, you'd take it as a compliment since girls are competitive that way.

But I'm talking about girls who are bothered by guys ogling at their chests. They would probably make an exception for guys that they're into and it just seems lame to me.

Old 04-25-2002, 07:46 PM   #99
wangcomputers

anyone remember that song 'being a girl' by mansun.

it wasn't that great.

------------------
http://negabenji.homestead.com/files/wang.gif
merely momentary distractions

Old 04-25-2002, 07:51 PM   #100
frail_and_bedazzled

Quote:
If you're a straight girl and another straight girl is checking out your ass, you'd take it as a compliment since girls are competitive that way.

But I'm talking about girls who are bothered by guys ogling at their chests. They would probably make an exception for guys that they're into and it just seems lame to me.
i guess that yes, for most women, it would make a difference. however, i wouldn't like a guy no matter what if he was just staring at my chest..i'd be grossed out and greatly turned-off..and it isn't 'appreciation', it's objectification. whether someone finds that objectification to be flattering or not is up to the individual.

Old 04-25-2002, 07:56 PM   #101
kypper

Quote:
Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
Quote:

i guess that yes, for most women, it would make a difference. however, i wouldn't like a guy no matter what if he was just staring at my chest..i'd be grossed out and greatly turned-off..and it isn't 'appreciation', it's objectification. whether someone finds that objectification to be flattering or not is up to the individual.

I disagree to some extent, though I guess I don't know since not only am I a guy, but I'm never visibly checked out, but... regardless of that, it's all in how you take it, and how it's meant. And sometimes people look at other people's chests to go 'dear god how the hell does she have a straight back' and everyone takes it the wrong way... It's not always sexual. When it is, it is often intended complimentary... or at least that's what I've noticed. Perhaps Ottawa is uniquely nice.

------------------
http://www.emotioneric.com/catchgf.jpg

Old 04-25-2002, 08:10 PM   #102
Mark LeDrew

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayfuck:
My god you are dense as fuck. This thread was originally about etiquette. Simple fucking etiquette. What don't you understand about etiquette? So stop letting that fly over your head and feeling like your manhood is being threatened. Can I punch you in the face? If that bothers you it's your fault for letting it bother you!
I know it's like your job to defend Suze but this is one of your weaker arguments.

------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mledrew/kid.jpg

This is just a modern rock song,
This is just a sorry lament,
We're four boys in our corduroys,
We're not terrific but we're competent.

Old 04-25-2002, 08:30 PM   #103
Samsa

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark LeDrew:
I know it's like your job to defend Suze but this is one of your weaker arguments.

umm, no it wasn't

that's teh whole fucking point. hellooo idiots. for one thing,

my thread title "the worst thing about being a girl"...do you not see the QUESTION MARK next to it? it was a simple question. is THIS it? simple question. i did not expect. adn THIS is when i got really angry. i don't get really ANGRY when i get leered at, i just get a little irritated. i wasn't ANGRY when i started this topic. i became ANGRY when certain IDIOTS started arguing with me over whether or not it is RIGHT to leer at a girl. as julio said: it's simple ETIQUETTE and it's not a fucking hard concept to understand, and you, whatever your name is, oh thank you so much for not deeming me "the h word". i think that sort of proves my point in general. i know that you can argue about this, that girls are just as shallow as boys, but i really don't think they are. anyways whatever. stop fucking telling me to not get bent out of shape about it because i NEVER do. i get bent out of shape when fucking idiots say fucking stupid things.

Old 04-25-2002, 08:37 PM   #104
Samsa

good god why does this thread have so many replies. i fuckign hate netphoria. do you people realize this? i fucking hate you people. all you have to do is mention the word "boobs" or some retarded OBVIOUS social issue and you have a 3-page long thread. hwo is this post any different from my other posts? fucking outsiders. jesus christ. stop replying to my thread. go away.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:02 PM   #105
Lie

Quote:
Originally posted by Samsa:
umm, no it wasn't

that's teh whole fucking point. hellooo idiots. for one thing,

my thread title "the worst thing about being a girl"...do you not see the QUESTION MARK next to it? it was a simple question. is THIS it? simple question. i did not expect. adn THIS is when i got really angry. i don't get really ANGRY when i get leered at, i just get a little irritated. i wasn't ANGRY when i started this topic. i became ANGRY when certain IDIOTS started arguing with me over whether or not it is RIGHT to leer at a girl. as julio said: it's simple ETIQUETTE and it's not a fucking hard concept to understand, and you, whatever your name is, oh thank you so much for not deeming me "the h word". i think that sort of proves my point in general. i know that you can argue about this, that girls are just as shallow as boys, but i really don't think they are. anyways whatever. stop fucking telling me to not get bent out of shape about it because i NEVER do. i get bent out of shape when fucking idiots say fucking stupid things.
I answered the question.

------------------
Boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:03 PM   #106
Mark LeDrew

Arrow

Ok well you're a total lesbian.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:08 PM   #107
Lie

Talking

I don't see any question mark there either, Suze.

------------------

Old 04-25-2002, 09:14 PM   #108
Samsa

i debated over whether to use the question mark icon or a simple question mark. i settled on the icon. i forget why.

okay. guys you're into leering at your chest: wouldn't happen. i can't think of any girl that would be into a guy that leered at her chest like a fucking sicko

girls leering at your chest: i guess it's a combination of the fact that girls aren't as physically threatening, and also the assumption you make that if a girl is looking at your tits she's probably just comparing or something.

lie: how can it not bother you when on a daily basis people hoot at you? see, that would piss me off so much. for one it would embarass the fuck out of me, for TWO , i don't know. i just get so mad when confronted with people like that. there are so many people out there that don't take into account that other people actually exist. like that other people have feelings too. ugh.

and i have an ear-ache i'm sick http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

i think my physics teacher hates me. i am trying to decide whether or not to study for a test tomorrow that's why i'm thinking abou tit. i dunno. i guess if i were him i'd hate me too. i'm always doing other work in that class. feh.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:16 PM   #109
PkPhuoko

jewish girls dont have boobs

Old 04-25-2002, 09:26 PM   #110
Samsa

Quote:
Originally posted by PkPhuoko:
jewish girls dont have boobs
dude you are sorely mistaken. all ethnic girls have boobs. well. hmm. yeah. i think i'm right. you may be right though. i mean do russians generally have boobs?? i think they do but i don't know enough russians to be sure. i'll have to do more research. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/cool.gif

Old 04-25-2002, 09:37 PM   #111
frail_and_bedazzled

Quote:
i debated over whether to use the question mark icon or a simple question mark. i settled on the icon. i forget why.

okay. guys you're into leering at your chest: wouldn't happen. i can't think of any girl that would be into a guy that leered at her chest like a fucking sicko

girls leering at your chest: i guess it's a combination of the fact that girls aren't as physically threatening, and also the assumption you make that if a girl is looking at your tits she's probably just comparing or something.

lie: how can it not bother you when on a daily basis people hoot at you? see, that would piss me off so much. for one it would embarass the fuck out of me, for TWO , i don't know. i just get so mad when confronted with people like that. there are so many people out there that don't take into account that other people actually exist. like that other people have feelings too. ugh.

and i have an ear-ache i'm sick http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

i think my physics teacher hates me. i am trying to decide whether or not to study for a test tomorrow that's why i'm thinking abou tit. i dunno. i guess if i were him i'd hate me too. i'm always doing other work in that class. feh.
i agree. it's not about looking or noticing-it's about leering, staring and making rude comments. sometimes you can brush it off, but when it happens repeatedly-especially in the course of the same day-it can really bother you. for example, where i used to live in brooklyn, the local men seem to really love you if you have a prominent ass. so, you're walking down the street, to say, go to the bank or buy groceries or WHATEVER and you get 16 guys either obviously staring at your anatomy or making obscene comments or just generally invading your space. sometimes i would be so pissed i wanted to fucking beat the hell out of them, which i couldn't possibly do, but i digress. i shouldn't HAVE to deal with that shit. what's that le tigre song? on guard? yeah, kind of applicable here.

Old 04-25-2002, 10:04 PM   #112
Lie

Quote:
I guess I just don't take it that way. I don't think it equals immediate disrespect towards me. And if it does, there's no reason to beat the point into my head so that something that doesn't bother me at all now will bother me in the future. I mean, they're there and then they're gone. It's really nothing to worry about. Maybe I don't feel I'm being objectified because I just don't let that happen. You can't be objectified if the other person doesn't make you feel that. But aside from all that, I just don't really perceive it as threatening.

It also might be because I used to work in a gas station and these old men and truck drivers and guys in motorcycle gangs would come in and hit on me all the time, and I guess I kind of learned to deal with it. It would have bothered me if any of them had been especially lewd or tried to touch me or something, but none of them were. And I didn't think, "Oh my god, that creepy old man is such a sicko." I just thought, "Wow, that was kind of pathetic. He was actually trying to pick me up."

You'll probably find, though, that if you directly address any of the guys that are doing this to you, that most of the time they'll immediately get either very shy or just smile and compliment you some more, which I don't mind. For the guys who really are truly creepy, they usually seem funnier to me than they do dangerous. Understand that if they ever tried to actually touch me I would totally freak out and start screaming and poke them in the eyes or whatever, but most guys aren't like that.

------------------