T&T
Socialphobic

Default Message from Billy - May 28, 2009

OMG OMG OMGOM OMGOM GOMGOMGOMGOM OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!1111oneoen

billy loevs me for understanding the mistere

Quote:
Message from Billy - May 28, 2009

Hey Every-One!

An update then for the curiouser of you on what's going on with the art film/album making and the ol' SP archives...

Presently I am working a whole lot on new songs. At this point I have over 25+ ideas in the air and am just now reviewing everything to try to whittle the pile back down. Part of the challenge of doing such a sweeping concept record is to find some core consistency in the work, feed the bigger story line with some tangential narratives, and have some sense of where it all goes in the end. Having done Machina and Mellon Collie, 2 albums that were in the 50+ song range, I at least have the experience of when that material goes right and how it easily gets lost in the shuffle. I think the current approach of only recording a song at a time will at least address some of those past pitfalls. I personally am quite happy with the work and I feel I've found some of what I was looking for when I came back to SP. There is a real vitality to the new work that feels futuristic, and that always excites me. Still am shooting for the end of summer (Aug-Sept) to start recording, so hopefully the first song(s) will be dropping from the sky in October!

As far as the daily album updates go, for the moment that project continues to be on hold...the logistics of putting everyone together to make it happen with the short turnaround to this point is just too much for me to take on on top of writing the material. What was supposed to be 'fun' and 'groundbreaking' quickly turned into the SOS (translation: same old stuff!). I've learned not to let concepts come at the expense of the quality of the writing and so far this has been the case. Currently shooting for a short term window of work (4-6 weeks), which is obviously far down from the 12 weeks initially proposed. I'm crossing my fingers, because I still think that it can inform the work and add a layer to it that it doesn't currently have. But honestly it also exposes heartfelt work to a vibration that I'm not sure belongs along side it. Jury is still out. See 'If All Goes Wrong' for insight into how much the world cares about new music ha ha! Seriously though, thinking up new ideas and implementing them are 2 different worlds as far as creativity goes. I am currently 'alone' in all this, and I must be honest with myself to try to achieve the most positive attitude moving forward.

Ok, so some current thoughts on archives...

I have started marching down the path on a 'one release at a time strategy' but I am starting to believe this will not work. If I look at what is succesful in other parts of the musick-biz (and it does make me sick), the best examples right now are ones that derive max impact for least amount of effort. A single release at a time, no matter how worthy or illuminating will require us (which is currently only Frank and I) to get your attention each and every time. Let's be realistic, that's just not going to happen, nor are there enough of y-o-u to assume that each and every release will be worth the intrinsic effort. If you asked me today which way I am leaning, I'm starting to think that a boxset-type model is the best scenario to keep everything simple and easy. It is still at the end of the day too big a leap to take without being sure. For those that continue to demand music right now, I ask you to have some compassion and quite possibly some common sense. I know my getting involved in the archives makes no common sense to me. Too much hassle. So why am I getting involved? Because it's my life's work and I want this stuff available. It's that simple.

With Lots of Love, WPC

Old 05-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
laaazy
Demi-God

hmm.. nothing new till oct

Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

And archives stuff in box set format? So we're not ever going to get anything.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
rolmos
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Corgan View Post
for the moment that project continues to be on hold...
- Billy Corgan, 1998-2009

Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
MonteLDS
*sigh*

i am surprised that he is involved with the archive. I wish he'd just had some trust that Quinto might have some good judgment (is that an oxymoron?)

I know that Billy does love his control of his music. And rightfully so.

I hope that we see just something soon. Because I am a hungry fan for something new. And I have been given treats between releases. And to NOT have something before the big release of the Archive. Well it makes me kind of frustrated by my hunger for more SP material.

Billy wants compassion, Sure, I will give him compassion. But I just hope he knows how hungry this fans is.May he have compassion on me and any other hungry SP fan.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
rolmos
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
But I just hope he knows how hungry this fans is.
Hi Monty.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
samuel redman
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: You're 22 why aren't you free?You're 22 why aren't you free? you're mom and daddy's victory

i'm very excited.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Allycat
Pledge

He has too much archived material for a box set that will sell the way he wants it to. Billy needs to put it all up online and charge a flat rate for all of it so people can have it all or just the songs they want. Better yet it could be free.

I want a box set like TAFH of the very best of it all their work but I want all the other songs too to be available too.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Part of the challenge of doing such a sweeping concept record is to find some core consistency in the work
ah yes.
yes, i see now....

Old 05-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Why do I get the feeling that we're going to end up with A) No archives, B) maybe one or two tiny little album updates at most, and C) Billy signing with a label when the album is complete and releasing it through traditional channels?

Oh, because this is Billy Corgan we're talking about.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

In on one.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
vangle7
Amish Rake Fighter

Damn not again!! Next we'll hear that it will be an even better business move to tie it in with some anniversary rerelease of MCIS and we'll have to wait even longer and pay for a bunch of crap we don't want.

I don't know what to think. Is interest in these archives really that bad or is he being greedy?

What's annoying is the fact that SP inc. was trying to ******* the fans in the process of voting how they wanted it to be done. He would have been better not stringing us along and getting our hopes up, only to do it his way in the end.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Does anyone know what he means by the term "concept album" btw?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
Allycat
Pledge

it usually means there a common theme or story tying all the songs together somehow. To me it's really hard to pull this off and have it make any sense.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #15
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

it's at least good to know that he seems to understand that simplicity is a good thing, and unnecessary complexity will work against a project's success. now he's at least thinking on the level of your average person above 25 who isn't entirely clueless

Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
wayners
Demi-God

Where is the leak?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #17
Joe
Apocalyptic Poster

well at least he gave up with that subscription thing, that was the worst idea ever.

and is it just me or has bill become a little jewey in his old age?

when did money become the driving force over art?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #18
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
I've learned not to let concepts come at the expense of the quality of the writing
Yey.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
redbull
Immortal

Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
Skradgee
Boardcaster

i thought billy's message today was going to be about this...

Tila Tequila Tweets Pregnancy, Asks Baby Daddy to "Step Up"

Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #21
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

Oh no Bill, don't start abandoning your genius plans. Actually I think I would rather see you follow through on something for once, even if it's the stupidest god damned way of releasing music imaginable, instead of the album route, seeing as the music is probably going to be so-so either way.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #22
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
I think the current approach of only recording a song at a time will at least address some of those past pitfalls.
and will slow you down considerably just so you know

Quote:
A single release at a time, no matter how worthy or illuminating will require us (which is currently only Frank and I) to get your attention each and every time. Let's be realistic, that's just not going to happen, nor are there enough of y-o-u to assume that each and every release will be worth the intrinsic effort.
each and every release won't be worth the intrinsic effort. there's no sense in treating some gish club show like a platinum record. that's why you start with the best material to get the most interest then work your way down (as well as out). also i don't think the proposal of an archive project like this is really going to attract the fairweather fan. you really don't need to get our attention every time. in fact we're all over here waiting on you. you just need to figure out how to sell the damn stuff.

Quote:
If you asked me today which way I am leaning, I'm starting to think that a boxset-type model is the best scenario to keep everything simple and easy.
part of me feels like this is supposed to be a passive threat. like "oh well you guys i guess i'll just put out a box set or something your call". not to mention that *ahem* the last boxset-type model really wasn't the the best scenario nor was it simple and easy.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #23
slunken
Virgo

hey look at me guyz i'm talking with billy

Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #24
IWishIWasBlank
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy you forgot to mention my birthday you fucking asshole.

-Steve

Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #25
Joe
Apocalyptic Poster

a boxed set could be cool.....or it could be awful...and judging from sone of bill's recent efforts i think we know witch is more likley

Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 AM   #26
Musica
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
I just hope he knows how hungry this fans is.May he have compassion on me and any other hungry SP fan.
I think he doesn't have to care how we are hungry.

But, if he would pay attention little more that we are hungry for what. It might called a win-win situation between billy and us. Then, he may could get more new fans, old fans are satisfied and appreciate him a lot more than before. Then he gets the satisfaction which he needs. I think this is a sort of the basic business marketing. I always think he better hire a mature person for researching the market though.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:26 AM   #27
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica View Post
. I always think he better hire a mature person for researching the market though.
but following astrology/numerology/voodoo guesswork has gotten him this far! why change the system.

i'm sure at this point they're still just looking at pre-gish stuff...
a boxset of pregish stuff might be nice.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 AM   #28
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Summary of Bill's message:

-He's given up on most of his ideas he told us about, and the rest are "still on hold." So, not a single thing has been done.

WHAT A FUCKING SURPRISE.

THIS is why everyone bitched about subscription bullshit. We ALL know how fucking full of shit he can be with promises. He's failed at delivering almost every thing he's ever promised since late 1998. That's over a decade of broken promises.

I don't even know why I'm so pissed off. It's not like I didn't expect this.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #29
dustrock
debunked!

Location: Part-alien, part-human, part-robot, part-star-crossed lover and part-mercury filled

again, I'm mostly concerned about the music. If he's got 25-30 songs that he's interested in right now and he's taking the time to record them one by one, I guess I'll live with that.

He pretty much is implying that MCIS and Machina had a bunch of great stuff left off because everything got jumbled in his head.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #30
Joe
Apocalyptic Poster

how about a boxed sex of the unreleased be sides?

and i dont mean the aeroplane flies high shite.

there is so much great pumpkins stuff out there that has not ever been released, that would be something for us to rock on while he finishes recording those 30 songs individualy