Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #121
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I use Guitar Rig and Amplitube.

I found no preset satisfactory on either so made my own but i kinda hate dealing with that sort of shit so i pretty much made one or two setting i like and keep with it.

Well i started with presets that i modified. Like the one i mainly use was originally APPARENTLY supposed to sound like Andy Summers in The Police. they called it like message in a bottle or something. But i modified it a bunch.

I tried the Edge one being a big fan of U2's 80's sound and it sounded nothing like the edge to me. Maybe you have to have the proper guitar too....

Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #122
slunken
Virgo

i have a LINE 6 POD2 that i rarely use. they're fun to mess around with in a pinch and i would travel with it and a mini-amp but its too tempting to use a completely different sound for every recording. i prefer to work within a tighter set of parameters. i realized 95% of the time i used it, i was basically just trying to recreate the sounds of my main rig.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #123
slunken
Virgo

found this old band photo

Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #124
LaBelle
Socialphobic

did he hit those purrfect notes?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #125
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

maybe not the right place to ask (i men maybe i should go on pro forums) but...anyone ever had any issue with a truss rod that WONT budge?

I've been having real issues with my Squier Strat. It won't keep in tune past the like 7th fret or so. I figure a truss rod adjustment might be in order. Thing won't budge either left or right....

Old 03-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #126
slunken
Virgo

you're supposed to adjust less than 1/4 turn each day so if you can't get even that i would take it somewhere

if you go cranking on that thing you will crack the neck no problem

Old 03-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #127
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I did manage to budge it in the end. I did two quarter turns so far, waited a day between each for the neck to adjust. Haven't tried it yet today but if it doesn't fix the problem i'm not touching it more than this. It seems to be mainly the g string though which is weird, you'd think all the strings would be affected equally if it was the neck....

Old 03-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #128
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Good idea.

But the thing see is i didnt have a problem with it until this winter. I'm sure dryness has had something to do with it. Wonder if it'll fix itself come spring or summer.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #129
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Good idea.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:42 AM   #130
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

teb you really seem to have no idea at all what you're doing

what you're describing can be an intonation issue, a frets issue. it's a goddamn squier of course its whack. don't be messing with the truss rod if you don't know what you're aiming for at least

Old 03-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #131
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Anyone have one of those MCIS Tab books? Worth the $$? Like are the tabs more detailed than the stuff up on spfc.org? If the answer to all three of those questions is yes: does anyone wanna sell me a second-hand one?

Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #132
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i used to have it. it was pretty great and much better than most of the online tabs. plus you get the sheet music of course.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #133
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

ahahahahaha sheet music, that's funny.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #134
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
Anyone have one of those MCIS Tab books? Worth the $$? Like are the tabs more detailed than the stuff up on spfc.org? If the answer to all three of those questions is yes: does anyone wanna sell me a second-hand one?
they're the most difficult to find out of the 3 (siamese dream, mcis, and adore). expect to pay $50+.

i mean not only do you get tabs of the songs but you get tabs for all the weird little background stuff and keyboard parts transposed for guitar and james' ebow stuff tabbed out its crazy

Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #135
slunken
Virgo

you can find pdf copies of both mcis and sd on torrent sites pretty easily if you want to do that - i remember just searching for guitar tab under pdf and it was in a pack with a bunch of other books

Old 03-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #136
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
ahahahahaha sheet music, that's funny.
it's nice to have it, say you want to play something on piano, you dont have to figure it out. i was never very good at figuring shit out on my own, so having the sheet music was very useful. or when i needed to show someone the rhythm of something. of course i had the songs memorized and didnt even have to worry about the rhythm or time signature or anything. but other people i played with needed it, and it was easier to start with it while learning the song.

but yeah you gotta be able to read it i suppose

Old 03-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #137
slunken
Virgo

spent this morning notating more sound banks on the boss sl-20 slicer (there are 80). i'm determined to understand this thing.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #138
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
teb you really seem to have no idea at all what you're doing

what you're describing can be an intonation issue, a frets issue. it's a goddamn squier of course its whack. don't be messing with the truss rod if you don't know what you're aiming for at least
I hadn't seen this then but i'm not a moron. FOor one i had messed with truss rods before just a long time ago. And I didn't go turning that truss rod willy nilly. I know you can break your neck and i really can't afford to lose any guitar. And I research shit before i do it if i'm not 100% sure. I did daily quarter turns for 3 days. Clearly it had to be done either way as there was pretty much no spacing between the string and frets when i pressed the first and last. I messed with the bridge now, i got it closer to being in tune the whole length of the neck but not quite. i'm hoping at this point the weather change will bring it back to normal.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:25 AM   #139
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

that's cool, reading back i sounded like an asshole. didn't mean it.
it's just all very delicate and you need to know exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it. at least in my experience - you won't get a great setup on a guitar by just experimenting.
print out some measurements, work with those.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #140
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i'm probably going to be getting a fender tube amp of sorts, really soon

any tube-amp related advice over here? i know it's a bit more of a delicate operation & whatnot, but this one doesn't even have a standby switch or anything so... i don't want to just be blowin tubes & valves form day 1! only owned solid state up to this one (though at present i am still very much happy with my orange)

Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #141
slunken
Virgo

Of sorts...

This one...

Old 04-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #142
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

fender ramparte, 9w, cool & hot inputs

was really just askin about general tube amp care/maintenance since i've never owned one before, always solid state, and it doesn't have a standby switch
but i guess that would only really assist things, since it must have something built in that would handle it simultaneously
though if it's anything like the tube preamp i have it's pretty much just a turn on, wait a few minutes, let cool down after usage then turn off sort of thing

Old 04-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #143
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Rebuilt my board, swapped some pedals, etc.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #144
Disco King
Minion of Satan

A while back, I picked up the Hardwire RV-7 reverb because it was the cheapest I could find with a reverse reverb function.

However, I realized that with the reverse reverb, only the wet signal comes out, and there's no dry signal. So, that means there is a delay from the time I strike a not to the time it sounds. Which is annoying as fuck for coordination, thinking "I have to play this not XXms before I actually wanna here it."

What's a cheap reverb with reverse reverb that isn't stupid like that?

Old 04-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #145
slunken
Virgo

Metal zone into the muff?

I sometimes run a blues driver after mine

Old 04-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #146
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Metal zone into the muff?

I sometimes run a blues driver after mine
Oh I rarely use those two together, it's one or the other (or the overdrive pedal preceding them)

Old 04-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #147
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
A while back, I picked up the Hardwire RV-7 reverb because it was the cheapest I could find with a reverse reverb function.

However, I realized that with the reverse reverb, only the wet signal comes out, and there's no dry signal. So, that means there is a delay from the time I strike a not to the time it sounds. Which is annoying as fuck for coordination, thinking "I have to play this not XXms before I actually wanna here it."

What's a cheap reverb with reverse reverb that isn't stupid like that?

The other guitarist in two of my bands has a Line 6 Verbzilla. When he got it I totally made fun of him for having a Line 6 pedal... until I heard it. It's actually sounds great and I believe it does what you are looking for, and it's only $150 new.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #148
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Oh I rarely use those two together, it's one or the other (or the overdrive pedal preceding them)
i'm surprised - you can get a great pink floyd/gilmour sound using the two. surely you know of this combo? at best it adds a nice amount of bite back into the muddy muff sound.

the easiest way is to crank the muff and use the other distortion pedal (i like the blues driver) as an EQ/Tone/Volume control. or you can crank the distortion pedal and have the muff adding the appropriate amount of fuzz. endless possibilities in order

Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #149
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post

The other guitarist in two of my bands has a Line 6 Verbzilla. When he got it I totally made fun of him for having a Line 6 pedal... until I heard it. It's actually sounds great and I believe it does what you are looking for, and it's only $150 new.
I'll look into that. Thanks!

I've been eyeing Noisemaker Effects' pedals for a while now. They are the most inexpensive boutique brand I've ever seen, and they have some nice fuzzes. The problem is deciding which one.

Their pedals tend not to have tone knobs, so it seems like each one specializes in a tone, and then gives you volume and gain controls.

It's difficult for me to decide which one I want, because even though I can clearly hear that they are different, my ear isn't really trained well enough to really assess the timbre and deliberate what I really like and why. It's just sort of like, "Oh, this is cool. Wait, this is cool, too." Plus with the demos, it's hard to ignore the influence of the music being played on my perception on the sound and to just focus on tone. I wish there were a shootout video or something.

I'm thinking that the Crush and the Cold War seem fairly similar to a Muff, so I may as well get one of their more unique pedals. So I'm kind of leaning toward the Donner Party, which sounds pretty nasty, the Zero (which seems to give the user more tone control with all the knobs), and the Kill. The Freakshow is also really interesting, but the fact that it only has a level knob kind of makes it seem limited. Still, that one sound that it does is a pretty sick sound. Also, the Noise Invader and Arcade are cool.

What are your guy's recs?

http://www.noisemakereffects.com/pedals.html
http://www.cheaperpedals.com/collect...effects?page=1
https://soundcloud.com/noisemaker-effects/
(Just posting more than one link because it doesn't seem that their official site has all of them)

Old 05-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #150
Disco King
Minion of Satan

For what it's worth, I ended up pulling the trigger on the Freakshow, the Donner Party, and the Loudmouth. I'm already planning my next purchase to be the Super Arcade, which I may get sometime after I round off my pedal board with things that aren't fuzzes.