Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #181
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
You see, by "bigger" you mean "more popular". I wouldn't disagree with that. But I would say SP is bigger than Muse exactly because they helped shaping music, they were not only popular, but also influential, able to capture a cultural movement and be part of that.
What kind of music did the Pumpkins help shape? Bands like Our Lady Peace? Maybe some of that cringy emo shit from 2007 that's aged about as badly as Nu-metal

No offense dude, but you sound very delusional. Just because Tucko and Sad Machines start a narrative doesn't mean it's true

Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #182
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Talking

so instead of a service that actually pays (albeit marginally) & promotes artists you proudly opt for one that does neither?

you can use Spotify & still own/play physical copies, you know

Old 10-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #183
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

the obsession over Pumpkins' influence is stupid, too. like, they influenced bands, they were one of the biggest in the world for a while and on top of that, who really gives a shit? it's their fault that not as many people could successfully co-opt their sound after the fact?

Old 10-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #184
fuzzyroes
Banned

I hate to sound so crotchety, but man, Corgantards are the worst... "Zwan was an indie sensation", "Smashing Pumpkins are bigger than Muse", "Ogilala is a great album"

Smashing Pumpkins weren't even really considered a first rate band during the grunge movement. They were certainly seen as a class below groups like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. It wasn't until the very tail end of the grunge craze that they really became big and that lasted for all of about 2 years until people were sick of em

Siamese Dream has rightly gained more respect and importance over the years, but lets not kid ourselves about The Pumpkins being some phenomenon.

Hell Green Day and the Offspring were much bigger in 94 than the Pumpkins ever were, and both of those bands were able to have longer periods of relevancy

Old 10-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #185
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
so instead of a service that actually pays (albeit marginally) & promotes artists you proudly opt for one that does neither?

you can use Spotify & still own/play physical copies, you know
If I've learned one thing over my years of being online, it's to not give over all of my data and be reliant on these mainstream big-tech platforms.

Spotify is the death-knell of the music industry. It'd be best to reject it completely and let it implode than to justify its use. It's really a pointless service anyways.

And if I wanna just stream a song on the go randomly, you can do that easily on Youtube.

But these guys that use Spotify as a platform for all their listening needs, I just have to facepalm

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 10-10-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: monteisms

Old 10-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #186
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Old 10-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #187
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's true, man.

Look at Youtube. It started out as an amazing platform catering to content creators of all kind and as it grew in popularity it crushed any and every competing platform. Once it became the only game in town it clamped down on all the creators, started censoring everyone, and propped up all the corporate/mainstream media to the top of the searches while squelching all the independent creators who became reliant on the platform. Do a search on there, all the results will be from ABC, CBS, CNN, New York Times ETC.

The same thing will happen with Spotify. Mark my words. Once they establish themselves and everyone relies on them to listen to music, they'll tighten the screws and start clamping down...

With all of the alternatives out there, there's really no need to utilize and rely on Spotify. You can download full albums in less than a minute these days, and those are files with sound quality FAR superior to what Spotify offers... There's literally no reason to use it.

Last edited by fuzzyroes : 10-10-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:11 AM   #188
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

I actually quite agree. Personally, I do not even use Spotify for listening. I like to actually have the file or physical media. I stay away from streaming. I guess it could be good for maybe hearing a clip but I can do that easily on any digital store. Once I hear a clip and if I like it, I quickly go and download it. I get everything in lossless and especially if there's a hi-res file. I even still buy CDs for exclusives here and there. Bandcamp, Qobuz, Bleep, so many great lossless stores. You won't see me buying from iTunes or Amazon or Google Play. Fuck MP3 and fuck streaming.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:01 AM   #189
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

careful mykeyz, you might get some 'don't agree with fuzzo' neg rep

Old 10-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #190
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
What kind of music did the Pumpkins help shape? Bands like Our Lady Peace? Maybe some of that cringy emo shit from 2007 that's aged about as badly as Nu-metal

No offense dude, but you sound very delusional. Just because Tucko and Sad Machines start a narrative doesn't mean it's true
A lot of big bands mentioned the Pumpkins as an influence. Muse included. From the top of my head now I could mention a large number of nu metal bands, such as Deftones, Linkin Park, Limp Biskit, Korn, Alcest, a few emo bands like My Chemical Romance and Panic at the Disco, and a few alternative/indie bands like Placebo, Elbow, Silverchair, Silversun Pickups Coldplay... Like it or not, they were basically the last time rock music was a mainstream movement.

Not only they were a musical influence, but what they did visually also influenced other artists, such as Metallica, Oasis, and even Janet Jackson. I still remember when they sued Pepsi for ripping off Tonight Tonight video, for example.

Also, how many girls started playing the bass because of Darcy?

Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #191
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Also, how many girls started playing the bass because of Darcy?
Maybe, but they might have already known about Kim Gordon.

If the Pumpkins were considered "second tier" (and in 1992 that would've been about right) then I remember being fine with that. I LIKED that they were almost like outcasts, freaks, nerdy. They didn't look like rock stars and they spoke nervously and without conviction.

Then BAM! SD gets released. I don't think many people expected the Pumpkins to release an album like that, but even at the time it was still considered "a good album", rather than this amazing, seminal work. Sort of the same way at the time Rubber Soul and Revolver were just considered good Beatles records, noting more.

I think was the Pumpkins influenced was perhaps a more feminine element to the grunge movement; bands like Pearl Jam and STP were very masculine (at least at first) and the Pumpkins were never about that.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #192
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Of course Kim Gordon and Kim Deal also influenced girls to play the bass. I never said the Pumpkins were the only or biggest influence, I said they helped shaping music.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #193
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
careful mykeyz, you might get some 'don't agree with fuzzo' neg rep

Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #194
myosis
Minion of Satan

this turned into a stupid discussion where we're supposed to imagine people streaming youtube in their cars and everyone who was influenced by d'arcy already knew about kim gordon somehow.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #195
myosis
Minion of Satan

what world do you guys live in?

Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #196
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i don't buy into all that streaming bullshit you know it's just another way for the GOVERMENT to get my info...

Old 10-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #197
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

got neg repped by toase for talking about rep. I'll talk about rep all fkn day long. rep rep rep neg rep

Old 10-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #198
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Can anyone gimme the cliff notes whether anything funny or worthwhile occurred in this latest pissing contest over unprovable assertions regarding topics nobody fucking cares about?

Or should i just skip altogether

Thanking u in advance,

i remain,

Old 10-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #199
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Cliff notes:

Old 10-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #200
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

topleybird neg repped me for talking about being neg repped for talking about rep, keep the neg reps coming

Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #201
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i'm just talking about Nerd's Rope

Old 10-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #202
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

especially this delicious-looking berry type deal

damn, that's tastier than the idea of D'arcy replacing Bill Corgan in The Smashing Pumpkins! (or at least that one guy in Grave Next Door... ok you got me, they'd still suck, but it's fun to conjecture ain't it?)

Old 10-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #203
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
I actually quite agree. Personally, I do not even use Spotify for listening. I like to actually have the file or physical media. I stay away from streaming. I guess it could be good for maybe hearing a clip but I can do that easily on any digital store. Once I hear a clip and if I like it, I quickly go and download it. I get everything in lossless and especially if there's a hi-res file. I even still buy CDs for exclusives here and there. Bandcamp, Qobuz, Bleep, so many great lossless stores. You won't see me buying from iTunes or Amazon or Google Play. Fuck MP3 and fuck streaming.
That's exactly it. I just don't see why people bother with it. The best reasoning I ever hear is that "they kick back some money to the bands!" but it's really just peanuts and it's not a sustainable model going forward.

We're at a cool time where the major labels don't really have a strong hold on the industry and what people hear anymore. A group can make some great music out of their basement and be on nearly equal footing. Why relinquish that freedom and conform to what the major labels and big tech are shoving down listeners throats?

If supporting bands is important to you, make sure to go see the group live, pick up a t-shirt, buy the vinyl ETC. That is all money in the artists pockets and can keep groups going. Spotify isn't the answer.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #204
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Shallowed I know you had to go positive rep like four or five people just to be able to neg rep me again

Old 10-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #205
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Knights of Cydonia easily beats Knights of Malta in a street fight......fuck, if I’m in high school and I want to impress a group of peers riding in my car I put on knights of cydonia. If I put on knights of Malta I’m getting punched in the mouth. Honestly...there’s no way Billy doesn’t agree with that sentiment...waaawaaawaaweeewoowwwaaaahh

Old 10-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #206
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Knights of Cydonia easily beats Knights of Malta in a street fight......fuck, if I’m in high school and I want to impress a group of peers riding in my car I put on knights of cydonia. If I put on knights of Malta I’m getting punched in the mouth. Honestly...there’s no way Billy doesn’t agree with that sentiment...waaawaaawaaweeewoowwwaaaahh

Old 10-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #207
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Me, when the guitar comes in at 2:30...

Old 10-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #208
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Neg repped by Shallowed again for talking about how he neg repped me for neg reppin me for neg reppin me.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #209
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

what're you a masochist?

Old 10-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #210
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

why, does he listen to rap?