Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #121
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
It's pretty good actually, but nothing overly special. Here's a couple choice cuts you should definitely check out, brother.

I was with them til Maladroit.. I actually liked it at the time..it had Matt Sharp flair even though he had left at that point.
The Rentals still rule

Old 12-19-2018, 02:45 AM   #122
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
why does no one ever talk about Maladroit
EASILY my third favorite record by them. Had way more punch to it than green, and had Slob on it, which is the best non-blue/pink song of all.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #123
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Unpopular opinion time: though the records he played on were their best, Matt Sharp was an obnoxious presence. Try to get through a live show or bootleg from that era and not want to tear your ears off with his intentionally shitty and obnoxious background vocals.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #124
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Matt makes me feel sharp

Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #125
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ava transformer View Post
I was with them til Maladroit.. I actually liked it at the time..it had Matt Sharp flair even though he had left at that point.
The Rentals still rule
Make Believe is where they lost me, but then they won me back with the Red album Pork and Beans was a dope lead single.

I'm a big Matt Sharp fan too. I actually haven't listened to any of the new Rentals stuff, I'm gonna check that out.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #126
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
EASILY my third favorite record by them. Had way more punch to it than green, and had Slob on it, which is the best non-blue/pink song of all.
It's dope, the fans actually picked Slob to be on the album. At the time the band was releasing all the demos on their website and conversing with the fans to get feedback on their message board.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #127
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Unpopular opinion time: though the records he played on were their best, Matt Sharp was an obnoxious presence. Try to get through a live show or bootleg from that era and not want to tear your ears off with his intentionally shitty and obnoxious background vocals.
lol how dare you! Matt Sharp was awesome live! He brought the quirky energy that has kinda been missing ever since... Don't get me wrong, Scott's a good dude and a damn solid bassist, but he just doesn't have that star quality

Old 12-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #128
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
That's because Slob was a part of the album that was supposed to be the actual follow-up to Pinkerton. Then the label forced them to scrap it and make Green Album instead.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #129
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Talking

Quote:
I'm a big Matt Sharp fan too. I actually haven't listened to any of the new Rentals stuff, I'm gonna check that out.
Big fan!

Old 12-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #130
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

For some reason I read a biography about Rivers ~2005, and the guy comes across as a total asshole. There are some groupie stories in there that would not fly in 2018.

Matt Sharp cropped out the girl in the band for the cover art of "Return of the Rentals", he also did not share writing credits. Guy seems like a ladder climbing jerk. Plus the tunes are shite.

Pinkerton is overrated and I have no idea how it gets the "soul-baring" reputation. It has some good songs but just sounds like leftovers from the blue album with In-Utero drums.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #131
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

wasn't rivers cuomo sleeping upside down in a closet at one point

guy is a weirdo

Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #132
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Batshit crazy, some might say.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #133
FoolofaTook

i also remember reading about him painting his room black

fucking nutter

Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #134
fuzzyroes
Banned

Back in the days of the Weezer message boards, there was always a TON of threads about Matt Sharp and people wanting Matt Sharp to rejoin so in 2004 Rivers actually reconnected with him to try and get him back in the band. The idea was to get him in on guitar and Rivers would just sing (cause they didn't wanna oust Scott on his ass). Matt considered but ultimately ended up deciding to reboot the Rentals instead.

Too bad. Fans would have been STOKED. Gotta hand it to Rivers for trying though. Say what you will about the guy, but he listens to the fans.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #135
FoolofaTook

Old 12-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #136
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Back in the days of the Weezer message boards, there was always a TON of threads about Matt Sharp and people wanting Matt Sharp to rejoin so in 2004 Rivers actually reconnected with him to try and get him back in the band. The idea was to get him in on guitar and Rivers would just sing (cause they didn't wanna oust Scott on his ass). Matt considered but ultimately ended up deciding to reboot the Rentals instead.

Too bad. Fans would have been STOKED. Gotta hand it to Rivers for trying though. Say what you will about the guy, but he listens to the fans.
“Sure you can rejoin the band. But only in a way that awkwardly includes other members that have nothing to do with the original lineup everyone cares about. And only under weird conditions. Youre good with that, right?”

Sounds strangely familiar.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #137
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
“Sure you can rejoin the band. But only in a way that awkwardly includes other members that have nothing to do with the original lineup everyone cares about. And only under weird conditions. Youre good with that, right?”

Sounds strangely familiar.
you're right

i believe this is what The Verve did in the late 90s

good memory!

Old 12-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #138
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Old 12-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #139
fuzzyroes
Banned

The cool thing about Rivers is that if he makes some super corny pop song like Widow Wake My Mind, he'll just randomly release it and be done with it without so much as a whisper. He just released this the other day

kinda fun and quirky. The video's pretty funny, Rivers is a weird dude. Not the best song, but that's the cool part about releasing a track like this. No one cares if they don't like it because they weren't anticipating it in the first place.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #140
fuzzyroes
Banned

You gotta love Weezer. This song is literally better than anything off of Shiny and Oh So Bright

Old 12-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #141
fuzzyroes
Banned

I just love that bridge

These are my friends, even though they are bugs
They have a big role in our world, even though they're bugs

Genius.

Cuomo straight up owns it.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #142
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Talking

Pretty sure Widow Wake My Mind came and went with a whisper too, just like all the other Teargarden stuff.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #143
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Pretty sure Widow Wake My Mind came and went with a whisper too, just like all the other Teargarden stuff.
Many people don't remember or weren't paying attention, but that shit was HYPED. Lol it's funny to think back about really. There was so much good will in the fan-base and I think everyone was really willing to give the new project a shot and the band just burned the fan-base. I remember there was like months of anticipation between songs and then when a song would finally drop it sounded like some novice slapped together crap.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #144
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Maybe it was hyped here, but as someone who mentally checked out after Jimmy left and before Oceania came out, I can confirm that it wasn't even a blip on the pop culture radar.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #145
FoolofaTook

this man knows his pop culture radar

Old 12-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #146
FoolofaTook

Old 12-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #147
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Rivers makes me quivers

Old 01-02-2019, 01:07 AM   #148
fuzzyroes
Banned

Wow. Weezer sounded pretty brutal with the auto-tune going on during their performance of Africa on Dick Clarks Rocking New Year... At least it seems to be resonating with the youngsters... Everyone in the crowd is LOVING it.

More than you can say about current Smashing Pumpkins

Get a load of Rivers acting all smiley... Must realize that it's a high-profile performance.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 AM   #149
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's pretty cool though. Weezer's had about 3 different surges of popularity... Usually a band gets 2 at most and even that's a rarity.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:04 AM   #150
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

top two threads in this forum have currently culminated in discussions about Weezer

I thought this was a board about a certain number of Gallants or something?