Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #61
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

only billy can have sideprojects, that's the rule

Old 04-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #62
fuzzyroes
Banned

I don't believe he had any during that stretch of time. He was "all in with the Smashing Pumpkins"

Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #63
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s not uncommon for musicians to have side projects. Billy is just a fucking dick.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:24 AM   #64
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
. Billy is just a fucking dick.
this is a fair statement.

but mike still sucked though.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:59 AM   #65
bright_doom
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post

I only saw the Byrne + Fiorentino line-up once in 2010 and Michael Byrne most definitely did not suck. The next time I saw “The Pumpkins” was with Killers guy and Rage Against The Machine dude in 2015 and IMO, I'll take 2010 Pumpkins anyday over that supergroup...

Old 04-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #66
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Florentino was great. Probably the best combination of skill, creativity & tone they've had since the original breakup and kept it from being the "boys club" it is today. Bill shoulda just sacked Byrne & been done with it

Old 04-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #67
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_doom View Post
I only saw the Byrne + Fiorentino line-up once in 2010 and Michael Byrne most definitely did not suck. The next time I saw “The Pumpkins” was with Killers guy and Rage Against The Machine dude in 2015 and IMO, I'll take 2010 Pumpkins anyday over that supergroup...
over and over again, the only way billy can redeem himself is by setting the bar even lower!

Old 04-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #68
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I don't believe he had any during that stretch of time. He was "all in with the Smashing Pumpkins"
except siddartha, wrestling, helping courtney love, zuzu's

Old 04-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #69
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
And most importantly, he was on what is BAR NONE their weirdest TV apperance ever, the "Widow Wake my Mind" on Leno which I've re-uploaded for your downloading pleasure here:

https://we.tl/t-Rt2fNg7Hfv
Did Mike write that triplet roll part? Pretty groovy

Fuck I think I actually enjoyed that whole performance to some degree

Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #70
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
except siddartha, wrestling, helping courtney love, zuzu's
You forgot the most important project. Taking on Anderson Cooper!

Old 04-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #71
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Florentino was great. Probably the best combination of skill, creativity & tone they've had since the original breakup and kept it from being the "boys club" it is today. Bill shoulda just sacked Byrne & been done with it
Billy, 2011: “These are the best musicians I have ever had in the band. I hope this incarnation of the band stays together for a long long time.”

Billy, 2014: “she played way too on top of the beat and it really messed up the SP sound. Also, fuck her for having a band.”

Old 04-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #72
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post

He was 18 with no professional experience let alone at the arena band level. There’s a reason musicians talk about “paying dues” before they land major gigs. It’s almost impossible to jump outta high school into the NFL no matter how talented you are. You have to get real world experience first. Even just the strenuous pace of traveling every day and playing shows every night is something people have to build up to over the course of years. I think mike did phenomenally well under the circumstances. He was basically set up to fail.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:49 AM   #73
bright_doom
Ownz

Old 04-27-2019, 01:17 AM   #74
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Mike's greatest effort of knowledge to the Pumpkins:

Old 04-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #75
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Flashback:

Old 04-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #76
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Nicole: "We went there to write the record that I was on with them...Oceania...we went to Sedona, Arizona to write, so Meg came along with me."

Interviewer: "That band (SP) writes together???"

Nicole: "Ehhhhhhh....well, that's tricky."

Interviewer: "You don't have to talk about it."

Nicole: [laughing] "...that was tricky...we tried!...we definitely tried."

Meghan Toohey: "It didn't quite work out for them but for me it was like a carthardic experience."

---

2012:

“The whole thing fell apart when Mike told me we had to cancel because Billy Corgan was like, ‘Oh, we have to be doing demos in Los Angeles during the time that you’re supposed to be on tour.’ And he told him super last minute in Portugal. So I had to cancel all the dates,” Scott says. “And the crappy thing is they didn’t even go to do demos. Mike was home during the time we were supposed to go on tour.”

For his part, Scott doesn’t begrudge Byrne’s dominance of the band’s schedule. Thankfully, Scott isn’t just wasting away when Byrne is traversing the globe with Corgan and company. He studies electrical engineering at the University of Portland and eventually plans to use what he’s learning to build amps and pedals.

For now, Scott is fine being “that guy in the band with The Smashing Pumpkins drummer.”

“I do my best not to trade on his name and be like, ‘Hey, he’s in The Smashing Pumpkins, so we deserve this.’ I do my best not to use his job as a way to launch this band,” Scott says, starting to laugh. “Because I really think that people who are into The Smashing Pumpkins would f---ing hate Bearcubbin’.”

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/the...nt?oid=2139020

---

Billy:

"Mike Byrne has taught me a lot about his generation. And watching the twitch up close, the ADD of it all, I’m starting to understand what he found boring about The Mighty SP."

Old 04-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #77
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

tbh the bearcubbin members should have let Mike focus on SP and got a new drummer.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:00 AM   #78
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
He was 18 with no professional experience let alone at the arena band level. There’s a reason musicians talk about “paying dues” before they land major gigs. It’s almost impossible to jump outta high school into the NFL no matter how talented you are. You have to get real world experience first. Even just the strenuous pace of traveling every day and playing shows every night is something people have to build up to over the course of years. I think mike did phenomenally well under the circumstances. He was basically set up to fail.
I stumbled upon this in my youtube recs:

and your post stuck in my head while watching.

Like...I'm not as good as Mike, and sure, I can play a good amount of that stuff at tempo, and "get through it", but fuck, just watching him play is mesmerizing.

There's so much nuance you'd be hard pressed to notice from just listening....those fills starting with flams on the toms in WBFTT, him choking the cymbals going into breaks in Zero and Fuck You, all the while looking almost maddeningly nonchalant

It's like complaining that Brady didn't notice a linebacker dropping back while you'd probably be too busy pissing yourself at the large men trying to tackle you

Old 04-28-2019, 04:43 AM   #79
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
And most importantly, he was on what is BAR NONE their weirdest TV apperance ever, the "Widow Wake my Mind" on Leno which I've re-uploaded for your downloading pleasure here:

https://we.tl/t-Rt2fNg7Hfv
please re-up
thx

Old 04-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #80
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

OH, Oh, oh...:

(At least the audio...)

https://consequenceofsound.net/2010/...ns-smash-leno/

Old 04-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #81
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I stumbled upon this in my youtube recs:

and your post stuck in my head while watching.

Like...I'm not as good as Mike, and sure, I can play a good amount of that stuff at tempo, and "get through it", but fuck, just watching him play is mesmerizing.

There's so much nuance you'd be hard pressed to notice from just listening....those fills starting with flams on the toms in WBFTT, him choking the cymbals going into breaks in Zero and Fuck You, all the while looking almost maddeningly nonchalant

It's like complaining that Brady didn't notice a linebacker dropping back while you'd probably be too busy pissing yourself at the large men trying to tackle you
All of this. Mike truly was a talented drummer (still is I'm sure), and probably not far off from where Jimmy would have been at the same age, I truly could understand the potential that excited Billy. But you can't just go from playing in garage bands and recording in houses to playing two hour shows in arenas and recording in professional studios without some sort of in-between. Making it even worse for Byrne was the fact that this is Billy Corgan - a notorious over worker and perfectionist. Numerous skilled and first rate musicians (Matt Walker, Melissa Auf der Maur, Kenny Aronoff, Joey Waronker, Mike Garson, etc.) have talked about the sheer amount of work and practice that went into even learning all of the songs he expected the band to know, much less actually playing the shows. Hell, look at Jeff having a mini-nervous breakdown in If All Goes Wrong. It was too monumental of a task for a novice to take on, and it was actually pretty impressive Byrne did not quit.

You could even see the charisma slowly drain out of him during the five years he played with the band. In 2010, he was far from perfect and lacked Jimmy's nuance, but seemed up to the task, and like he could even fill Jimmy's shoes with enough time. Once the band started touring in 2011, however, he looked like he'd aged 10 years, and made more and more obvious mistakes.

All-in-all, it seemed to work out for everyone. The 2010-2014 band ending seemed to be Corgan's first step towards realizing he needed James and Jimmy back. It sucks that Billy has said some pissy things about Mike, but he certainly hasn't insulted him in the way that he did James or his Zwan band mates (or even Melissa as of late). He's got some crazy war stories to tell, and will always be able to show people Smashing Pumpkins on his resume.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:20 AM   #82
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
please re-up
thx
Would do it for anybody, but would VERY gladly do it for my Siddhartha sales tracking co-accountant:

https://we.tl/t-EDEkKPfH9s

Old 04-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #83
GracefulSwan
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Billy:

"Mike Byrne has taught me a lot about his generation. And watching the twitch up close, the ADD of it all, I’m starting to understand what he found boring about The Mighty SP."

Pretty amusing how BC trashes Millennials because of his experience working with Mike Byrne but has absolutely no problem getting along and playing with Jack Bates (29, same age)

Old 04-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #84
fuzzyroes
Banned

Jack Bates is the kind of guy you can enjoy a beer with at the pub though whereas Mike Byrne is Stewart from Beavis and Butthead.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 AM   #85
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

thank you for that very quintessentially fuzzy post, it will go very nicely with the collection

Old 04-30-2019, 01:14 AM   #86
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's true though.

It's like, "That Jack Bates guy is a good bloke. Interesting young man, fun to have a beer with"

and then it's like:

"Fuck, there's Mike Byrne coming over to us. Guy is fucking annoying, man. He's just gonna ramble on about his 'Fortnight' adventures the whole night"

Old 04-30-2019, 04:05 AM   #87
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Jack is a real man, being interested in sport.

And he doesn't need his mom to remind to congrulate for his birthday, publicly bullying Billy for just having been late.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:50 AM   #88
bright_doom
Ownz

Here's Mike's old blog from 2010.

http://satisfactosaurus.blogspot.com

Happier days :'(

Old 04-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #89
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
It's true though.

It's like, "That Jack Bates guy is a good bloke. Interesting young man, fun to have a beer with"

and then it's like:

"Fuck, there's Mike Byrne coming over to us. Guy is fucking annoying, man. He's just gonna ramble on about his 'Fortnight' adventures the whole night"
those are some pretty powerful assumptions based off a couple press photos, lol

Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #90
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

LOL: