Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2002, 11:22 PM   #1
Travis Meekz
Minion of Satan

Question Catch-22 (book)

just curious, whose read it and if you liked it. I'm reading it now but I really know nothing about it (which I like). No spoilers ya bastards.

Old 10-24-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
Skye
Demi-God

Thumbs up

Great book. Its kind of difficult to piece together what is happening b/c it flashes back and forth in time, but very entertaining.

Old 10-25-2002, 01:33 AM   #3
Smiley33
Minion of Satan

shit it's been a long time. I did like it, though. I figured you'd end up reading it. I read it right after I read a bunch of Vonnegut books. Sometimes I do wish I were back in high school

It's not one of those books you can put down after a little while and pick right back up later on. At least it wasn't for me. :-/

Old 10-25-2002, 06:14 AM   #4
Mr. Rhinoceros

Quote:
Originally posted by ******
it was very very confusing but it was ok.
CONFUSING? Are you a simpleton?

Back on subject, Catch-22 is one of the funniest books I've ever read. The chapters about Milo Minderbender and Lieutenant Sheisskopf are comedy gold. One of my favorite books, no question.

Old 10-25-2002, 06:39 AM   #5
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros

CONFUSING? Are you a simpleton?

Back on subject, Catch-22 is one of the funniest books I've ever read. The chapters about Milo Minderbender and Lieutenant Sheisskopf are comedy gold. One of my favorite books, no question.
Well of course it's confusing, the first time around. The way the narrative keeps referring to events that haven't happened yet, or jumping around a timeline with no frame of reference... unless you just relax and realize that things will fall into place later, you're going to have a hard time following some of the story. It's definitely one of those books you should read twice.

Old 10-25-2002, 11:27 AM   #6
lolita
Amish Rake Fighter

didn't really like it. 'humour' of the book was lost on me.

Old 10-25-2002, 11:40 AM   #7
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Exclamation

i haven't read it...no surprises there then

Old 10-25-2002, 11:42 AM   #8
Travis Meekz
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by scouse_dave
i haven't read it...no surprises there then
thanks for coming though

Old 10-25-2002, 12:29 PM   #9
ammy
yer mom

good book. i really enjoyed it.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:31 PM   #10
Samsa
Banned

the stuff about major major major major had me in shits and giggles. well the second time i read it. the first time i read it yeah i basically sepnt the whole book trying to piece together the plot but teh plot literally cannot like 100% work it just has to do with like the constraints on time some people think joseph heller just accidentally fucked up but who knwos. but man. the chapter about major major major major. priceless. i should find it and post it.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:33 PM   #11
Samsa
Banned

and oh yeah. heh. since we read it in english last year we had to write a paper about it (duh) and i just remember how cool my title was. like i loved my title my teacher didn't he was just like 'WHY IS THIS TITLE SO LONG?'

lemme try to remember what it was heh.

it basically centered around like the conflict between clevinger and yossarian and what they stood for but man oh man was the title good

Old 10-25-2002, 12:35 PM   #12
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally posted by DeviousJ
Well of course it's confusing, the first time around. The way the narrative keeps referring to events that haven't happened yet, or jumping around a timeline with no frame of reference... unless you just relax and realize that things will fall into place later, you're going to have a hard time following some of the story. It's definitely one of those books you should read twice.
Yeah, that's actually part of what I really liked about it, because it's one of those books where you have to sort of surrender yourself to it and trust that it's going somewhere, and at the same time, not be so wrapped up in what's going to happen that it isn't enjoyable. Like, you know from the very beginning that you're being fucked with but you just don't know how yet, and you have to accept that and enjoy the anecdotes and jokes that are really the crucial part of the book anyway.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:36 PM   #13
Samsa
Banned

Default "Clevinger was dead. That was the basic flaw in his philosophy."

lol that wasn't my title but i remember i quoted it. man i love that quote lol. eh not from a moralistic standpoint like i dunno. just lol.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:43 PM   #14
Samsa
Banned

Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three.
Catch-22, Ch. 9, 1961

LOL

Old 10-25-2002, 02:26 PM   #15
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie

it's one of those books where you have to sort of surrender yourself to it and trust that it's going somewhere...Like, you know from the very beginning that you're being fucked with but you just don't know how yet, and you have to accept that and enjoy the anecdotes and jokes that are really the crucial part of the book anyway.
i think this sums it up. the book is hilarious. relax and enjoy.

Old 10-25-2002, 05:36 PM   #16
THRILLHO
Apocalyptic Poster

i think it's actually my favorite book ever.
it seems like every chapter has at least one scene i remember and think about every so often, and a scene that makes me put the book down and crack up. the alternating viewpoints and timelines which all eventually connect is handled flawlessly. great characters. great messages. i think every chapter is a little masterpiece in itself.

Old 10-25-2002, 05:44 PM   #17
Injektilo
twenty some years....

I love how you can just read the chapters at random and it'll still make just as much sense. Its a great book, one of my favorites easily.

Old 10-25-2002, 05:51 PM   #18
Samsa
Banned

Default ugh i still can't find my quote

ill find it eventually but i'll show you the context i took it out of:

"I wonder what he did to deserve it," the warrant officer with malaria and a mosquito bite on his ass lamented after Nurse Cramer had read her thermometer and discovered that the soldier in white was dead.
"He went to war," the fighter pilot with the golden moustache surmised.

"We all went to war," Dunbar countered.

"That's what I mean," the warrant officer with malaria continued. "Why him? There just doesn't seem to be any logic to this system of rewards and punishment. Look what happened to me. If I had gotten syphilis or a does of clap for my five minutes of passion on the beach instead of this damned mosquito bite, I could see some justice. But malaria? Malaria? Who can explain malaria as a consequence of fornication? The warrant officer shook his head in numbed astonishment.

"What about me?" Yossarian said. "I stepped out of my tent in Marrakech one night to get a bar of candy and caught your dose of clap when that Wac I never even saw before hissed me into the bushes. All I really wanted was a bar of candy, but who could turn it down?"

"That sounds like my does of clap, alright," the warrant officer agreed. "But I've still got somebody else's malaria. Just for once I'd like to see all these things sort of straightened out, with each person getting exactly what he deserves. It might give me some confidence in the universe".

. . . .

"I've got somebody else's three hundred thousand dollars," the dashing young fighter captain with the golden moustache admitted. "I've been goofing off since the day I was born. I cheated my way through prep school and college, and just about all I've been doing ever since is shacking up with pretty girls who think I'd make a good husband. I've got no ambition at all. The only thing I want to do after the war is to marry some girl who's got more money than I have and shack up with lots more pretty girls. The three hundred thousand bucks was left to me before I was born by a grandfather who made a fortune selling hogwash on an international scale. I know I don't deserve it, but I'll be damned if I give it back. I wonder who it really belongs to."
"Maybe it belongs to my father," Dunbar conjectured. "He spent a lifetime at hardwork and could never make enough money to send my sister and me through college. He's dead now, so you might as well keep it."

"Now, if we can just find out who my malaria belongs to, we'd be all set. It's not that I've got anything against malaria. I'd just as soon goldbrick with malaria as with anything else. It's only that I feel an injustice has been committed. Why should I have somebody else's malaria and you have my dose of clap?"

"I've got more than your dose of clap," Yossarian told him. "I've got to keep flying combat missions because of that dose of clap until they kill me."

"That makes it even worse. What's the justice in that?"

and right where that little excerpt left off on the website is where m yquote is which is annoying. so i can't tell you exactly but it's something like I had a friend named Clevinger a couple weeks ago who would have found that perfectly just. or something. heh.

Old 10-25-2002, 06:30 PM   #19
Mr. Rhinoceros

Quote:
Well of course it's confusing, the first time around.
I didn't find it confusing in the least bit. Like Lie said, just let yourself into the narrative, all questions will be resolved in time.

You want confusing? Read Faulkner or Joyce. That's confusing.

Old 10-25-2002, 06:36 PM   #20
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros

I didn't find it confusing in the least bit. Like Lie said, just let yourself into the narrative, all questions will be resolved in time.

You want confusing? Read Faulkner or Joyce. That's confusing.
Well that's what I said. But it's easy to see how people could be confused, if they're making an effort to keep up as with a traditional narrative

Old 10-25-2002, 06:45 PM   #21
Mr. Rhinoceros

Quote:
But it's easy to see how people could be confused
Not really.

Old 10-25-2002, 06:54 PM   #22
Samsa
Banned

lol yese it is. come on. milo selling those eggs for a profit?

Old 10-26-2002, 05:16 AM   #23
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis Meeks
thanks for coming though
that's no prob, dave...