Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #2851
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorserodeo78 View Post
Yet to read a negative review about the show from anyone that was actually there. The reviews and the people that were there have given it praise. The only negative talk I have read so far are from people who weren't even there and have been making fun of this tour before it even began and Billy for a decade now. Looks like its a great show that is going to please the people that paid to see it, which is really all that matters.
Hit the nail on the head.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #2852
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
gotta admit this sounds great
Lush.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #2853
coolstorybro
Pledge

Good review: https://uproxx.com/music/smashing-pu...ndale-concert/

Old 07-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #2854
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

When I saw them with my best friend in 2015 (a semi-huge Pumpkins fan), he rolled his eyes during the "Crying Tree of Mercury" as Billy pranced around the stage with no guitar, making awkward hand gestures. He said something like, "thank God he only did that for one song."

Now, he doe sit 1/3 of the show, and the fact that he seems to be actively performing the "front man" role makes it even cringier. This somehow seems even worse than when Weezer made the drummer play guitar, and Cuomo would jog around the stage.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #2855
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
For real, there was circus and Wizard of Oz music and song intros in like 1997, the Machina tour had that weird robot voice intro. The spectacle isn't really anything new, though it's never been quite this large in scale.
I think back then it was like they were not taking those things too seriously, there was still a bit of cynicism behind it. It's the opposite now, it's like a self-parody taken seriously.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #2856
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Couldn't that just be your perception?

Old 07-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #2857
Kumar Littlejeans
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
When I saw them with my best friend in 2015 (a semi-huge Pumpkins fan), he rolled his eyes during the "Crying Tree of Mercury" as Billy pranced around the stage with no guitar, making awkward hand gestures. He said something like, "thank God he only did that for one song."
This was the best goddamn part of the Manson shows

Old 07-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #2858
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro View Post
Couldn't that just be your perception?
No, it is different. Billy is not doing a 30 minute Silverfuck jam after a Wizard of Oz clip, he’s doing a straight Stairway to Heaven cover dressed like a saint. It’s different.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #2859
seahorserodeo78
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
No, it is different. Billy is not doing a 30 minute Silverfuck jam after a Wizard of Oz clip, he’s doing a straight Stairway to Heaven cover dressed like a saint. It’s different.
Same thing

Old 07-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #2860
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
I think back then it was like they were not taking those things too seriously, there was still a bit of cynicism behind it. It's the opposite now, it's like a self-parody taken seriously.
See, I don't get that at all. I'm seeing an effort to actually revisit that mindset of "this is all a great big dumb show." So the costume changes and the big silly silver skirt here and in the Solara video...I'm just seeing them as going "Fuck it, we'll have some fun with the imagery and poke fun at the big stupid 90's rock personas people want us to inhabit again". So the cynicism's there, but it's being displayed via a rockstar-saint icon being paraded around during Stairway, which is the biggest cliche of a rock song there is. It's dripping with cynicism.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #2861
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post

Now, he doe sit 1/3 of the show, and the fact that he seems to be actively performing the "front man" role makes it even cringier. This somehow seems even worse than when Weezer made the drummer play guitar, and Cuomo would jog around the stage.
Were you at the show?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #2862
paranoid
Minion of Satan

i don't know cynicism or not the saint billy costume/statue and endless iconic photos of him all over the screens just rubs me the wrong way.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #2863
slayed23
Ownz

What was the attendance last night? 8-10K maybe?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #2864
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstorybro
Were you at the show?
what do you care? get outta here.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #2865
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
See, I don't get that at all. I'm seeing an effort to actually revisit that mindset of "this is all a great big dumb show." So the costume changes and the big silly silver skirt here and in the Solara video...I'm just seeing them as going "Fuck it, we'll have some fun with the imagery and poke fun at the big stupid 90's rock personas people want us to inhabit again". So the cynicism's there, but it's being displayed via a rockstar-saint icon being paraded around during Stairway, which is the biggest cliche of a rock song there is. It's dripping with cynicism.
I can see that with a few things alright. I mean, who would think that Saint Billy was serious art!? I do think he's playing with all the things that surrounds the pumpkins, the megalomania, the messianic messages, the true goth costumes. But a few of them seem to go too far... too serious... I'm not complaining tho, Billy was always very cheesy and tacky, I only thing that a 30-songs' show might suffer with that many awkward moments at once.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #2866
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
what do you care? get outta here.
Showing others that your opinion is based on your imagination.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #2867
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

So how was Metric?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #2868
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstorybro
you should be careful with that, because the same could be said for those that kiss billy's ass all day. you're playing with fire here.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #2869
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstorybro View Post
So if i said I loved it but I didn’t go to the show, that’d totally be okay right? Because you just don’t want people that aren’t licking Billy’s crack hanging around

Old 07-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #2870
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Yet to read a negative review about the show from anyone that was actually there. The reviews and the people that were there have given it praise. The only negative talk I have read so far are from people who weren't even there and have been making fun of this tour before it even began and Billy for a decade now. Looks like its a great show that is going to please the people that paid to see it, which is really all that matters.
Ahh so you mean the small proportion of the fan base willing to buy tickets for this show enjoyed the show.

Hmmm something might be affecting this sample set....

Old 07-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #2871
seahorserodeo78
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Ahh so you mean the small proportion of the fan base willing to buy tickets for this show enjoyed the show.

That's all that really matters. That the people who decided to go and spend money will enjoy the shows and are will be happy that they went. Nobody cares about the people who didn't want to go and are still complaining about it. I am not going to sit here and cry about every single concert going on right now that I didn't go to because I didn't like it, the band, the production the prices etc. Because nobody cares.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #2872
coolstorybro
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post

Has anyone read a bad review from someone who was actually there?

It's important to have a frame of reference when reviewing or forming an opinion. That opinion, maybe it's valid, doesn't hold as much weight as someone who does have that reference.

It was a good show, entertaining as hell. Yeah, it was a cash grab and cheezy as fuck, but you got your money's worth.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #2873
just1dood
Amish Rake Fighter

I feel like most of the regulars in here are too entrenched in their contempt for Billy to understand that rational, logical point of view. lol

Last edited by just1dood : 07-13-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #2874
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

ok who was there?

Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #2875
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1dood View Post
I feel like most of the regulars in here are too entrenched in their contempt for Billy to understand that rational, logical point of view. lol
Thanks for letting us know, person with 8 posts. Go back to the SP subreddit and talk about how Machina is underrated or something

Old 07-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #2876
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Yeah fuck you and your 8 posts!!

Old 07-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #2877
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
you should be careful with that, because the same could be said for those that kiss billy's ass all day. you're playing with fire here.
hahahahaha

Old 07-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #2878
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

come on, tookling...
fixed that for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Yeah, fuck you, and your 8 posts, and your father!!

this thread is very inspiring. amoergosum, do your worst, please!

https://i.imgur.com/RooVbej.jpg

Old 07-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #2879
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

indeed

Old 07-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #2880
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
That's all that really matters. That the people who decided to go and spend money will enjoy the shows and are will be happy that they went. Nobody cares about the people who didn't want to go and are still complaining about it. I am not going to sit here and cry about every single concert going on right now that I didn't go to because I didn't like it, the band, the production the prices etc. Because nobody cares.
If that's all that really matters they should've booked smaller arenas.