Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #61
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

My ex gf used to take lessons on Saturdays, and I only got to see her on the weekends so sometimes I would go to her lessons with her. The first few lessons she took were with this shred head dude who didn't listen to what she said she wanted to learn and was really dismissive of guitarists she liked, and just wanted her to practice a lot of scales. She kicked that guy to the curb and found another teacher who catered to what she was interested in, and she improved drastically over the following months.

So yeah a bad experience is possible but if you get discouraged from one bad experience of course "everything ends in disappointment"

Old 09-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #62
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

disco can you record a joke for the vocaroo thread

i need to be able to associate a voice to those pics. you gotta do it man.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #63
myosis
Minion of Satan

i was kind of forced into liking sports too as a kid, because they are my dad's religion.
he didn't get to play hockey until he was 18, and paying for my equipment and driving me to practice and games was the opposite of sacrifice to him, and supposedly a privilege to me.

as a result of this i am very agile and fit but i also got sick to death of team sports, i kind of burned out at 15 when i couldn't take it anymore.

i'm with ****** regarding doing your best to decipher your kid's interests vs. what they feel obligated to do from parental pressure.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #64
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
but i'm reading your posts and you are like that.
You're like the last person to get any joke, hey tiki torch grrrl. You should lighten up a bit. Like doesn't have to be all envy and petty grudges.

Like I'm sorry your dad busted his nut with some woman who wasn't your mum and your mum never forgave him but you know. That isn't my fault.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:05 AM   #65
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
i was kind of forced into liking sports too as a kid, because they are my dad's religion.
he didn't get to play hockey until he was 18, and paying for my equipment and driving me to practice and games was the opposite of sacrifice to him, and supposedly a privilege to me.

as a result of this i am very agile and fit but i also got sick to death of team sports, i kind of burned out at 15 when i couldn't take it anymore.

i'm with ****** regarding doing your best to decipher your kid's interests vs. what they feel obligated to do from parental pressure.
i get what you're saying, but i think music education is very different to sport in that regard. music is something that few
really "get" when they're young, but almost everybody feels some connection to music later in life.

sports are very testosterone-y, and many times the 'weird', fragile kids get pushed into it just so 'it"ll make a man outta them' or whatever, while in reality it will probably only be remembered as a traumatic experience.

out of either a rigid sports program, or a rigid musical program, i'd say i'm pretty sure the musical program is something most kids will be more grateful for in their old age, even if they didn't like doing it that much when they were kids.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:44 AM   #66
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I was made to do surf life saving for a couple of years throughout childhood and my enjoyment of beach activities has yet to fully recover.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #67
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I started piano lessons around 6 years old and definitely don't regret it. But music was a big part of my family from the beginning, as my dad was a damn good pianist.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #68
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post

I missed this...I had private piano lessons from my 7th birthday onwards, and was not allowed to quit until high school. But by then I loved it enough to continue, if a bit fitfully.

So I've done the same for my children. IMO where families only speak one language at home (as we do, and as I did growing up) music is a good substitute for a second language, because you have to learn to read different notation and match it to corresponding audio signals.

There is a lot of evidence showing that learning a musical instrument improves academic performance, which is why aspirational Asian families are over represented in classical music learning populations.

I have absolutely no regrets about learning to play an instrument, sitting musical exams, and learning to read music. And I am pretty certain my kids will feel the same way. Not absolutely certain. But pretty certain.

All of that exists completely outside of the enjoyment of music, which is something completely different.

But I never had to think about getting lessons to learn guitar. I just picked one up and started playing, because my background in music made that pretty easy. So I've never had to wonder if I should take guitar lessons as an adolescent or adult. That's a gift that my parents had the foresight to bestow on me, and I'm paying it forward by giving it to my children.

****** is just bitter.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #69
LaBelle
Socialphobic

My stepfather used to say that people should learn either an instrument, a sport or a second language in life. And he and my mom approached this with me by making sure I knew which options I had and I would pick for myself.

At 12 I took piano lessons for a few months, but hated practicing. Switched to vocal lessons which I enjoyed more but also eventually quit.
Then I decided I wanted to take an english specific course, and I really loved it, saw it through to the end.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #70
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
You're like the last person to get any joke, hey tiki torch grrrl. You should lighten up a bit. Like doesn't have to be all envy and petty grudges.

Like I'm sorry your dad busted his nut with some woman who wasn't your mum and your mum never forgave him but you know. That isn't my fault.
i guess i was right about you not giving your kids any options because now you're just making things up about my parents.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #71
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
My stepfather used to say that people should learn either an instrument, a sport or a second language in life. And he and my mom approached this with me by making sure I knew which options I had and I would pick for myself.

At 12 I took piano lessons for a few months, but hated practicing. Switched to vocal lessons which I enjoyed more but also eventually quit.
Then I decided I wanted to take an english specific course, and I really loved it, saw it through to the end.
aww.

i gotta say, too, it's cool your parents put sports in the same category as language and music. only narrow-minded people who have a skewed view of sports based on fandom don't realize the immediate and long-term benefits of playing (or even being allowed to try) a sport. not even a huge sports fan here, but that mentality is off-base and obnoxious.

your parents definitely sound like they did not treat you as an extension of themselves. kids need options. take note, emmo.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #72
vixnix
Socialphobic

Well, they can choose at high school, too. They can't choose now, which is why I make them do all this stuff.

When a kid is 7-10 and they hate practising, you just tell them it's part of life, and they believe you. Then by the time they're 12 and start refusing, they're already past the worst of it and can now readily enjoy the mastery they have developed.

By the time I was 12 I was working towards Grade 7 ABRSM, and could play easier movements from Beethoven sonatas. That is its own reward, and practise was a part of life, by then...I reckon starting at 12 is too late.

The most advanced jazz band at the local high school is going on a two week international tour in England this year. Students from the jazz band programme at my kids' school go straight into the advanced band at the high school, because our school's band programme is really good. I'm grateful that my kids have the opportunity to take part in it. Kids who are starting with their instruments at the beginning of high school just miss out on stuff like that, play in the lame starter bands that are playing all the pieces that my kids started out playing when they were 8, and then give up.

I joined the award winning auditioned choir at my high school after my first audition, because even though I'd never had voice lessons, I needed a good level of musicianship to pass my piano exams, and that was enough. We went on tour with the orchestra and it was my first trip out of the country, at 13 (we only went to Australia, from New Zealand).

Old 09-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #73
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
aww.

i gotta say, too, it's cool your parents put sports in the same category as language and music. only narrow-minded people who have a skewed view of sports based on fandom don't realize the immediate and long-term benefits of playing (or even being allowed to try) a sport.

your parents definitely sound like they did not treat you as an extension of themselves. kids need options. take note, emmo.
you know nothing about what kids need from their parents. partly because you have none. And partly because if your parents had known anything about it worth passing on to you...they wouldn't have split up.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #74
yo soy el mejor

this isn't about me so i won't bother responding to stuff you're making up because you're mad. save that shit for your husband.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #75
vixnix
Socialphobic

Not about you except that you went through my post history looking for things to quote huh

like the obsessive psycho you are

Old 09-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #76
yo soy el mejor

okay, mommy.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #77
Cool As Ice Cream

my children will learn everything from tv
i will make them watch tv for hours until they master it

Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #78
Cool As Ice Cream

the mastery they have developed

Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #79
yo soy el mejor

BECAUSE YOU DID IT AND LIKED IT AND LOOK HOW GREAT YOU TURNED OUT. SO GREAT!

Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #80
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
my children will learn everything from tv
i will make them watch tv for hours until they master it
This is a joke, but it's essentially how I was raised.

I remember my early life just being TV. Hours of it.

Like, if there was nothing on that I liked, then my sister and I would be like, "ugh, I guess that means we have to watch this shitty show." As if there was no choice to just not watch TV and do something else. The idea just wouldn't occur to us.

Like, probably eight solid hours of TV a day.

I guess I turned out kinda alright

Old 09-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #81
yo soy el mejor

did you watch price is right? i was a big fan of that and punky brewster.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #82
vixnix
Socialphobic

Well, I also smoked marijuana every day until I was hospitalised with an acute drug induced psychosis, but I won't be recommending that as an option.

I mean shit, I did a lot of stuff. I smoked my first joint at 14.

I'm mainly encouraging the things that I don't regret. Or you know, the things that I think were good for me.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #83
buzzard
Minion of Satan

How does a person up hospitalized from weed?

It's a bit like being sent to rehab for applying some eau de toilette.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #84
vixnix
Socialphobic

I smoked a gram every day for a few months after already being a pretty heavy smoker, and then began fasting, and then stopped sleeping.

I had a couple of visits from the psych team before they decided to section me.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #85
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I was vaping on the regular at nine.

The perks of leukemia.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #86
vixnix
Socialphobic

Given the kind of humour you're into, I'm going to say "false" on this one

Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #87
yo soy el mejor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Well, I also smoked marijuana every day until I was hospitalised with an acute drug induced psychosis, but I won't be recommending that as an option.
so music it is!

Old 09-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #88
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I was vaping on the regular at nine.

The perks of leukemia.
how old are you?

i was under the impression vaping is a new thing.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #89
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It's kind of like how Matthew McConaughey had a Lamborghini Aventador poster up on his wall in Dallas Buyers Club.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #90
ilikeplanets
Braindead