Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
Eulogy
huh

Default Colbert Report

I'm staying up past my bedtime tonight to watch as it airs and I'm getting sad.

I can't see anything like this coming around ever again. The man is a genius and network late night will stifle it.

: (

Old 12-19-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Order 66
Socialphobic

strangely i think i've only seen like ... three, maybe?... episodes ever. which is weird considering how much i like the show

rip in peace

Old 12-19-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
Eulogy
huh

I watched literally every episode, most as they aired, during my three years of law school. Have sort of slacked off since because I can't stay up for it. But something he said during tonight's word segment about making the day a little bit better really hit home. That's why it was the last thing I did every day.

There has never been and never will be anything like this.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
Elphenor
Braindead

It really was a great show

Old 12-19-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I was gonna watch it same time as my gf because i got her to watch it like 7 years ago..the first time we met actually. when she first came here the first night we watched it cause i was in the habit to and she's watched it since. But i forgot now in canada they air it at 12:30...

A real american hero. Seriously though up until recently he pretty much almost never broke character even outside the show. He's one of the great performance artist of our time.

I really dont know what it'll be like, the real him hosting a talk show.

I cant say i watched even close to every episode but.... more than half for sure.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #6
Mo
Immortal

Colbert on CBS is a damn waste

Old 12-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Truthfully he should have had the Fergie spot. I mean hes prime time for sure but he should be trying to deconstruct the genre like Fergie did.

I mean Colbert off the air Ferguson off the air...what is left. Daily show got boring some years back and Sewart shoul quit, i dont think he wants to do it anymore.

i didn't even mind Fallon on late night but he's got more mainstream america with tonight show and its just boring now (Fallon is lame and a horrible kiss ass sure but even if once upon a time i never thought i'd say this, i think he's actually pretty gifted as an improvisational comedian...i like when he and higgins go on in some nonsensical improvised comedy stuff...which is something they did a lot more on late night) Even their segments aren't generally as good as they were on late night (and don't get me started on seth fucking meyers...god...) his interviews always sucked of course

Conan stopped being good years ago, even before he got fucked by Leno. Though it's still unfortunate what happened to him.

Letterman hasn't given much a shit in years.

Funny though how i didn't give much a shit about talk shows until like 3 years ago. It might be a result of getting older....

I actually stupidly used to hate Fergie because i didn't watch him long enough to get him. It was surface impression. I'd be like..his joeks arent funny... I used to think he was the lamest guy on talk shows..then realise he was actually the best. Because being lame was on purpose. And Geoff of course is great. And yeah he's been doing the same show every night for a year now and hasnt tried because he just wants out but it almost makes it greater. Doing the same jokes everyday.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:47 AM   #8
Jerry's Ray
Demi-God

isn't he going to another show?

Old 12-19-2014, 02:47 AM   #9
Elphenor
Braindead

Daily show is still as good as ever and we have John Oliver's show

Old 12-19-2014, 03:08 AM   #10
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I hate john oliver.....like most DS correspondents.. Colbert was the peak. Carrell was actually ok. Wyatt Cenac was the last really good one. Are Samantha Bee and Jones still there? Its not like anyone wants them anywhere else so they must be.... The worst. Especially Bee.

And no daily isnt as good as it used to be.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:12 AM   #11
Mo
Immortal

How can you hate Olive? Last Week Tonight is better than the Daily Show.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:18 AM   #12
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

well to be fair i hvent checked his show. I didnt like him on Daily and was glad when he left.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:19 AM   #13
Elphenor
Braindead

I love that Brit

Old 12-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #14
Elphenor
Braindead

10 minutes until the finale

Old 12-19-2014, 03:22 AM   #15
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
well to be fair i hvent checked his show. I didnt like him on Daily and was glad when he left.
His show's YouTube channel is outstanding. Check out the 15+ minutes segments on various topics; thoroughly researched as well as hilarious.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:32 AM   #16
Elphenor
Braindead

IT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW

Old 12-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

we'll lose a perfectly placed satirist for sondheim dance numbers and interviews with miley cyrus but we'll always have "reality has a well known liberal bias."

Old 12-19-2014, 05:29 AM   #18
Mo
Immortal

Colbert playing NMH and throwing "Back to you, Jon!"

Fantastic way to end the show

Old 12-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #19
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

ugh god i hate neutral milk hotel jesus fucking christ what the fuck is that band fuck that band

Old 12-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #20
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Colbert playing NMH and throwing "Back to you, Jon!"

Fantastic way to end the show
I noticed that to, pretty cool

Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #21
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
I hate john oliver.....like most DS correspondents.. Colbert was the peak. Carrell was actually ok. Wyatt Cenac was the last really good one. Are Samantha Bee and Jones still there? Its not like anyone wants them anywhere else so they must be.... The worst. Especially Bee.

And no daily isnt as good as it used to be.
Bee, Jones, and Jessica Williams are all great. Stewart has lost a step and he's a terrible interviewer. It's still a find show but Oliver's is much better.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #22
Mo
Immortal

Nothing will ever beat Colbert vs Carrell, though.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/search?ke...ven%20stephven

Old 12-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #23
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
ugh god i hate neutral milk hotel jesus fucking christ what the fuck is that band fuck that band
You should listen to them again. :P

Seriously, though - I'm not sure I understand the passionate hatred. I'm not saying people can't hate them passionately, just that in your case I can't see why they touch a nerve.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #24
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Stewart is awful at interviews, just unwatchable. His show sucks.

The reason Colbert played Holland, 1945 is poignant. I didn't watch it as often as I hoped but damn was it a great show.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #25
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
is also my opinion.

Anyway, even if it was all a little pisstakey, i got emotional. :-/. I believe that Colbert did a valuable service with this show. Republicans got O'reilly and stuff, libs had colbert. Notice one is comedy, the other is for real....

Old 12-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #26
Elphenor
Braindead

Do you like anything?

NMH is so great. The lyrics. THE LYRICS

Old 12-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #27
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Angry

NMH has so much to answer for for what they inspired a generation of indie music fans to do with themselves musically.

It's mainly some hippiester with an acoustic guitar playing boring chord progressions (sometimes on electric but they're still boring) while occasionally some wind instruments plays and he wails in an intolerable voice about god knows what cause i can't bother to give a fuck what he's saying because the music and vocal delivery annoys me too much but I know i'd probably hate it. I have a vague memory that it is supposed to be about dreams he had about Anne Frank....or something. Typical alt/indie folk, really.

I can't believe i still have to explain my dislike of NMH in 2014. I thought everybody had shut up about them around 2005. Thank you colbert (or colbert staffer) for shortly reviving these memories.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #28
Elphenor
Braindead

hippiester

Old 12-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #29
Elphenor
Braindead

Am I reading that correctly? Is that really a combination of "hippy" and "hipster"?

Old 12-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
hnibos
Braindead

Life goes on