Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will Oceania be better than Chinese Democracy?
Yes 29 60.42%
No 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
morespsoon

Default Will Oceania be better than Chinese Democracy?

This is not about Guns N' Roses/Axle Rose but this is the best thing to compare Oceania to imho. You've got two genuises (in most people's opinions) leading bands with the same old name but with the two frontmen being the only original member remaining in each case with essentially completely new bands backing them. Also, in both cases the old front men are leading both bands towards more and more of a synth-based, "computer processed" sound compared to the early days (with most fans disliking it in both cases). That's an interesting parallel to consider as well imho.

IMHO, Chinese Democracy destroys Oceania so far and Oceania has no chance in this battle. I must say it's not really fair because Axle Rose had a superstar talent in Buckethead helping him with most of his album and Billy Corgan doesn't have anything like that.

Last edited by morespsoon : 11-14-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
antiskum
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
this

Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Ball Sack Face
Banned

Axl Rose sounds like a 12 year old girl choking on a brillo pad.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by morespsoon View Post
TAlso, in both cases the old front men are leading both bands towards more and more of a synth-based, "computer processed" sound compared to the early days (with most fans disliking it in both cases). That's an interesting parallel to consider as well imho.
well i'm glad you find that point interesting.

Quote:
IMHO, Chinese Democracy destroys Oceania so far and Oceania has no chance in this battle.
wut, how the fuck can you comment seeing as studio demos of Oceania haven't even appeared yet?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
morespsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
wut, how the fuck can you comment seeing as studio demos of Oceania haven't even appeared yet?
I'm comparing the music/lyrics etc. Obviously the finished recordings will be different from what we've heard so far but I'm asking for predictions and I gave my prediction based on what I've heard. I remember what live versions of the Chinese Democracy songs sounded like before the album came out and it's totally fair to compare that to what we've heard of Oceania for example.

If you're implying that recorded songs can't be compared to live versions of new songs I don't agree because it's usually not hard to project what a studio version will sound like (more or less) based on live versions of songs. There are always exceptions to that of course but generally it's pretty fair to project like that.

The Billy Corgan/Axle Rose synth sound parallel is very interesting, why has it happened in both cases especially when in both cases it goes against fans wishes? I find that fascinating, you don't think it's interesting?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i like that song "Better"

Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
I remember what live versions of the Chinese Democracy songs sounded like before the album came out and it's totally fair to compare that to what we've heard of Oceania for example.
well, yeah you can compare the live versions, of course.

Quote:
If you're implying that recorded songs can't be compared to live versions of new songs I don't agree because it's usually not hard to project what a studio version will sound like (more or less) based on live versions of songs. There are always exceptions to that of course but generally it's pretty fair to project like that.
maybe as a general statement that's ok, but you have to be familiar with Corgan's previous form on turning live gems into studio turds.

Quote:
The Billy Corgan/Axle Rose synth sound parallel is very interesting, why has it happened in both cases especially when in both cases it goes against fans wishes? I find that fascinating, you don't think it's interesting?
nah, just kidding. probably it's due to maybe getting bored with just the four basic parts of rock instrumentation, so tinkerers like Billy can fool around with synth effects rather than having to go to the trouble of bringing in organic session musicians to play other instruments (see original live version of Owata with, well what they did in the studio). additionally, maybe it's alternate way of adding percieved depth to a song, rather than going through the no-doubt more complex and time-consuming process of layering lots of different guitar parts etc i would guess. i'm sure actual musos can add more insight than me anyhow.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
T&T
Socialphobic

cathrine wheel alt?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
morespsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
nah, just kidding. probably it's due to maybe getting bored with just the four basic parts of rock instrumentation, so tinkerers like Billy can fool around with synth effects rather than having to go to the trouble of bringing in organic session musicians to play other instruments (see original live version of Owata with, well what they did in the studio). additionally, maybe it's alternate way of adding percieved depth to a song, rather than going through the no-doubt more complex and time-consuming process of layering lots of different guitar parts etc i would guess. i'm sure actual musos can add more insight than me anyhow.
Interesting analysis, it makes a lot of sense.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Catherine Wheel
Banned

In what way is Axl Rose a genius? or Slash for that matter? All I hear is a group that jumped on the hair metal / glam metal bandwagon. It's not like G&R are Van Halen.

Billy and Jimmy are arguably geniuses.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
You've got two genuises (in most people's opinions)

one of these two men is a musical genius

Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #13
fuzzyroes
Banned

Axl rose is a great songwriter and has one of the best voices to come out in rock and roll in the past 30 years.

Nothing to snooze at. Corgans written some gems but hes also written a lot of stinkers too.

So I dont think either of them are really geniuses.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
redbreegull

It's not the quantity of good music versus bad music that makes b0lly a genius, it's the sheer quality of the good music. Classic Smashing Pumpkins were one of the greatest rock bands in history. Totally different than any other band. A truly unique musical engine. Guns and Roses sucks dick first of all. Their "good" music is over the top pop hair metal cashing in at the tail end of the movement. The most interesting thing about them is Slash, and he's not as good a guitar player is Corgan, and he's also about 10 times less original.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

wu lyf has a good album out have any of you heard it

Old 11-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #16
Trotskilicious
Banned

by the way neither of those guys are musical geniuses

Old 11-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned

lou reed

is a musical genius

Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #18
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
It's not the quantity of good music versus bad music that makes b0lly a genius, it's the sheer quality of the good music. Classic Smashing Pumpkins were one of the greatest rock bands in history. Totally different than any other band. A truly unique musical engine. Guns and Roses sucks dick first of all. Their "good" music is over the top pop hair metal cashing in at the tail end of the movement. The most interesting thing about them is Slash, and he's not as good a guitar player is Corgan, and he's also about 10 times less original.
Its biased to say that SP is one of the greatest rock bands of all time but then say GnR suck dick. Appetite for destruction is hailed by many as one of the top rock albums ever released. And as far as "rock and roll" goes I'd have to agree.

I agree Corgan is a guitar god but he sure doesn't seem to utilize it in his new material. But he still rips it live so I dunno. Maybe the guys just lazy when it comes to writing new face melting guitar parts... Yeah yeah yeah "song for a son" solos all right. But it sounds like a harsh Slash sorta guitar solo speaking of slash.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #19
fuzzyroes
Banned

And many people say SP was just cashing in at the tail end of the alternative/grunge boom. Still doesn't detract from the music being kick ass. Didn't Billy say he was very aware of what was popular and maybe focused on it too much during the making of Siamese Dream? You can definitely hear the influences from what was going on at the time in some of those songs... Doesn't mean its not a fantastic album.

Its just a shitty excuse to try and detract from someones music.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:10 AM   #20
redbreegull

no, Gun and Roses suck dude. It's like two steps above Bon Jovi.

and 1991 was not the tail end of the grunge boom.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:53 AM   #21
morespsoon

Genius can't be argued or proven really I know that but this proves something:

Google search for ""billy corgan" genius gets about 1,080,000 results

Google search for "billy corgan" sucks gets about 167,000 results

Google search for "axle rose" genius gets about 1,830,000 results

Google search for "axle rose" sucks gets about 26,900 results

Rose wins the google war (and these types of searches are done to measure public opinion, it's a credible way to do so) hands down, by light years. I realize that the self proclaimed elite of this board don't care about what anyone else thinks but I only said in my original post that most people would call those guys geniuses (and by that I meant rock fans) but maybe I was wrong. It's clear from the google results that Rose is considered to be superior which I find surprising.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #22
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
no, Gun and Roses suck dude. It's like two steps above Bon Jovi.

and 1991 was not the tail end of the grunge boom.
axl rose is a dick head and I fucking hate him

Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 AM   #23
Kahlo

Quote:
Axle
Yet if you search AXL Rose sucks I get about 768,000 results.

I hate you MoreSPsoon.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 AM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

hahaha I didn't even notice.

Who really cares. They're both great artists in their own right.

But I think Corgan might actually knock one outta the park with this new album. I know hes hyped shit before but the guys due for a great album.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #25
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:

Rose wins the google war (and these types of searches are done to measure public opinion, it's a credible way to do so) hands down, by light years. I realize that the self proclaimed elite of this board don't care about what anyone else thinks but I only said in my original post that most people would call those guys geniuses (and by that I meant rock fans) but maybe I was wrong. It's clear from the google results that Rose is considered to be superior which I find surprising.
all this proves is that there 1.8 million fucking retards who googled "axle rose genius".

i would have guessed there were even more

Old 11-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #26
morespsoon

Quote:

Sorry about the spelling mistake:

"axl rose" genius > About 1,830,000 results

"axl rose" sucks > About 2,650,000 results

Now that I spelled the name correctly (if someone would pointed out my spelling mistake in the original post in this thread this wouldn't have happened)....

Anyways, Billy Corgan wins this by a mile now. Order is restored in the SP universe and all can rest well.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #27
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Sorry about the spelling mistake:

"axl rose" genius > About 1,830,000 results

"axl rose" sucks > About 2,650,000 results

Now that I spelled the name correctly (if someone would pointed out my spelling mistake in the original post in this thread this wouldn't have happened)....

Anyways, Billy Corgan wins this by a mile now. Order is restored in the SP universe and all can rest well.
even the peole who spell it right are fucking retards

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #28
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:

boy that's a truly stupid metric you came up with

google kim kardashian

you think that means she's a genius

Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Yet if you search AXL Rose sucks I get about 768,000 results.

I hate you MoreSPsoon.
yeah since "axle rose" is probably going to grab everything that has "axle" or "rose" anyway

i hate him too

Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #30
Trotskilicious
Banned

i always thought his name was morespoon