Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Default Favourite "classical" pieces/composers

You know what I mean - baroque, romantic etc.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Muse when they use a string section

Old 04-14-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
Shallowed
Braindead

I really like Frédéric Chopin's Nocturnes.

I'm unfamiliar with most of anything else though, except for the ones that everyone knows from advertisements and pop culture and stuff.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:18 AM   #4
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i like beethoven 4, 7 and 9. chopan and handel's water music

Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Beethoven (symphonies, piano sonatas)
Copland (everything)
Chopin (preludes)
Rachmaninoff (concertos, symphonies, various short piano studies)
Holst (symphonies, wind band, choral works)
Vaughn Williams (ditto)
Shostakovich (symphonies, string quartets)
Debussy (piano works)
Stravinsky (firebird and rites)
Wagner (highlights of his operas are staggering)
Mussorgsky (pictures at an exhibition, night on bald mountain)

Not including anything newer than Copland/Shostakovich (like Ligeti, Reich, etc)

Last edited by TuralyonW3 : 04-14-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
Shallowed
Braindead

Chopin, anyone? in that Muse song by the United Kingdom of Ameurope

Old 04-14-2014, 01:26 AM   #7
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Beethoven technically and aesthetically basically towers over everything until the modern era

Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 AM   #8
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Copland's Appalachian Spring suite destroys me

Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #9
TuralyonW3
Immortal

The Saturn movement of Holst's Planets is staggering and underrated

Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

copland's rodeo is admittedly a favorite

and i forgot Tchaikovsky, especially the 1812 overture.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #11
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Beethoven technically and aesthetically basically towers over everything until the modern era
You reckon? I haven't heard anyone say that before. Nothing comes close to Beethoven for me...but I wonder if that's because he was a big part of my adolescence...more so than say Chopin or Rachmaninov.

My friend who practised for 8 hours a day during high school ( which I can't fathom, I could barely manage 1) prefers Chopin - Chopin to me is beautiful but it doesn't make me tear up like Beethoven - too clever maybe, not enough sentimentality.

I heard a Russian pianist play Beethoven once and it was a strange experience. During the encore he played Tchaikovsky and the piano came alive - Beethoven doesn't require a lot technically - a lot of physical grunt work for the jumps and runs, but not so much head work with difficult fingering...but it takes a huge amount of emotional presence to bring it to life - it drags without a huge broken heart to drive the hands. Not music for technicians I don't reckon.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:56 AM   #12
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
You reckon? I haven't heard anyone say that before.

i mean really?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #13
Trotskilicious
Banned

i feel like while popular opinion thinks of mozart first, beethoven has a very special place in popular and esteemed opinion

Old 04-14-2014, 01:58 AM   #14
vixnix
Socialphobic

Sorry I forget he was an orchestral composer!!! He's a piano composer to me. So I'm only talking about his sonatas.

The sonatas are so different depending on who plays them. My favourite is the Waldstein...but I don't often enjoy performances of it - the tempo is never quite right. I enjoy Daniel Barenboim's expression the most I think.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #15
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Sorry I forget he was an orchestral composer!!!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:04 AM   #16
vixnix
Socialphobic

Yes Beethoven is very highly regarded...but not universally as one who towers above the rest...a lot of people I know would probably name Bach as the greatest...

Old 04-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #17
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
It's true, I actually forget!! Seems ridiculous but I do - I never played an orchestral instrument (bar one miserable term of cello which I couldn't stand)...but I played a lot of Beethoven as a piano student and listened fairly obsessively to the sonatas - I didn't discover orchestral music until much later...so when I think of Beethoven my first and strongest association is with the piano.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:12 AM   #18
vixnix
Socialphobic

Bach's St. John Passion - conducted by John Eliot Gardiner
Schubert's Trout Quintet
Handel's Messiah
Prokofiev's music for children
Faure's Requiem

Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #19
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Haydn, Bach, Mozart, and Handel paved the way. Beethoven rose to the peak. His most difficult piano sonatas are beasts to perform properly and are much better pieces of music than Lizt's crazy pieces. I love Chopin but he owed much to Beethoven and had a much more limited range and body of work.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 AM   #20
TuralyonW3
Immortal

All this is just hot air though...just enjoy the tunes

Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #21
vixnix
Socialphobic

I would not put Haydn, Mozart & Handel on the same level as Bach...Bach is near universally acknowledged as a game changer. Every music student in the western world learns about the counterpoint that he pioneered...

Beethoven also is regarded as a game changer and the beginning of the romantic period - but in terms of great works, his orchestral compositions don't stand out more than say Mahler, and his piano works are not enough to win the universal love of pianists though he is probably the most popular among players. Among the general population it's hard to tell - if you played most people Beethoven and then say Michael Nyman or Eric Satie, they would probably choose something more contemporary...

Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #22
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

dr zaius dr zaius

Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #23
vixnix
Socialphobic

I agree, Alf Clausen does amazing stuff on The Simpsons

Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #24
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
I would not put Haydn, Mozart & Handel on the same level as Bach...Bach is near universally acknowledged as a game changer. Every music student in the western world learns about the counterpoint that he pioneered...

Beethoven also is regarded as a game changer and the beginning of the romantic period - but in terms of great works, his orchestral compositions don't stand out more than say Mahler, and his piano works are not enough to win the universal love of pianists though he is probably the most popular among players. Among the general population it's hard to tell - if you played most people Beethoven and then say Michael Nyman or Eric Satie, they would probably choose something more contemporary...
https://warosu.org/data/tg/img/0256/...2347845494.jpg

Old 04-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #25
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

I just like chopin, béla bartók, villa-lobos and carmina burama (carl off- idon't even know if this is the name of a person)

Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #26
Mayfuck
Banned

i've loved debussy ever since high school and i put him up there with my favorite bands. love almost everything he's composed.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #27
D.
Consume my pants.

I don't know much about classical music. But one time I heard some on the way home in the car and I liked it. I had to Google what they used in the music, it was like light guitar I think. Classical guitar? I dunno. I meant to look some up to see if that's what they were using? I don't really know.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #28
vixnix
Socialphobic

I've never listened to a lot of classical guitar D., but I listen to the classical music station here pretty much nonstop and Heiter Villa-Lobos is a classical guitar composer I hear a lot of, played most often by Julian Bream on our station here...might be a starting place?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
D.
Consume my pants.

Thanks!!