Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Default Sun Kil Moon - Benji

Almost everything he makes is at least great but i think this might be his best album. How can someone make such good music for such a long time?

Why is this not out on vinyl

Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I read a lot of rave reviews by critics and fans but tbh I just don't get it. And Mark Kozelek is like my favorite guy. really, I don't like any songwriter better than him. This is a guy who I basically revered for his songwriting. Unfortunately, the last album I really loved was Admiral Fell. I just don't get the purposely singing like he just woke up even though he has a beautiful voice, the lazy lyrics that sounds like he just wrote down his day and then put it to some chords even though he is capable of some of the most heart-rending and poignant poetry to music I have ever seen, or the boring classical guitar loops on every song even though he is one of the most creative guitarists of his generation. I really, really want to like this album and the last two, but I just don't get why people think it is so good.

I totally get that he is musically bored and wants to experiment with new styles, and I am glad he perpetually moves outside his comfort zone. Nothing personal against him, but I'm just ready for him to be done with this hyper minimalist mumbling and growling rapid lyrics that don't rhyme phase. I also really don't get how so many of his fans like this style so much, because it just is not representative to me of this man's talent in any capacity

Old 03-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
redbreegull

BTW I am not being hostile at you I am just jumping at the chance to discuss this with someone because I don't really know many people who like this guy and am totally open to hearing your in-depth thoughts about the new album.

but to me....

Sun Kil Moon in 2008....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sun Kil Moon in 2014

Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I just haven't been able to appreciate his sound the last couple albums. I dig the lush soundscapes of ghosts of the great highway (carry me Ohio, Salvador Sanchez, duk koo Kim)

Basically I'm saying he should keep aping Neil young

Saw him live in a church after April came out, beautiful show

Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
redbreegull

Moorestown is the best song ever

Old 03-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
noyen
Immortal

so much stuff has come out from him i find it hard to keep track... the collab albums are great the one with desertshore is really good... the jimmy one is so synth pop. but the acoustic versions he does are blizzamm. like "you missed my heart" and "gustavo" are both fucking amazing heard done solo. benji album is good. i think it might be one of his best in a long time. everything gets released in such weird limited ways. it kind of sucks.. scoring anything of his on vinyl is like instant return on investment.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
redbreegull

You Missed My Heart acoustic is like fucking classic Kozelek in every way. perfect song. But the vast majority of his output in the last few years is not like that.

I can't keep up with the live albums anymore, especially since they are all just Koz and an acoustic guitar. I love the guy, but I don't need 15 live CDs of essentially the same sort of show over and over. I like that he sometimes throws these in for free if you buy his studio albums on his site though. Like Rats was probably his weakest cover album thus far. I haven't heard the Desertshore album, but the one with Jimmy Lavalle (sp?) is pretty ok... boring and too droney at parts, but some heartfelt interesting stuff. Overall just doesn't do it for me like earlier Sun Kil Moon stuff with the full band. Although in the last song when he sings about getting Christmas cards with pictures of Katy's daughter, that hit me in the chest like a bag of bricks.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
noyen
Immortal

i like that he does things small and intimate. i am getting old though, so yeah it is hard. but i've find most if not all online through spotify or youtube. the desertshore stuff is good. "you are not of my blood" is awesome.. yeah watch out forth the jimmy collab album if you aren't into synth pop. it's basically mkoz synth pop. which i like. but the acoustic versions are definitely better when it's just him or sun kil moon. or whatever moniker. i dig it. i ain't mad. much love for the guy who's banged multiple chicks, babes and band whores i know. i love it. he's better than dare i say... nah.. i won't say it. but i think it. just an amazing storyteller. songwriter sometimes. but it's the stories. making men cry all over the world. thats why i love it. it's his narrative. or of some made up person. or a real person. the richard ramirez died today is verbal vomit of everything like adhd in a song but in a pretty way and social commentary too and yeah. mkoz. it will get you laid.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
noyen
Immortal

i'd s his d

Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
noyen
Immortal

hey you bastards i'm still here is awesome and i dig all the different versions of the ac/dc covers. the slower cowboy ones i like most. and doing a godflesh cover is pretty awesome but the results are still just yeah... it's not A++++ it's daunting and he takes a stab. and sometimes multiple stabs like the serial killers he writes about. it's cool.

*vapes*

Old 03-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
mkoz. it will get you laid.
mkoz has never gotten me laid, but he's gotten me a lot of, "....this music is really depressing....."

Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I read a lot of rave reviews by critics and fans but tbh I just don't get it. And Mark Kozelek is like my favorite guy. really, I don't like any songwriter better than him. This is a guy who I basically revered for his songwriting. Unfortunately, the last album I really loved was Admiral Fell. I just don't get the purposely singing like he just woke up even though he has a beautiful voice, the lazy lyrics that sounds like he just wrote down his day and then put it to some chords even though he is capable of some of the most heart-rending and poignant poetry to music I have ever seen, or the boring classical guitar loops on every song even though he is one of the most creative guitarists of his generation. I really, really want to like this album and the last two, but I just don't get why people think it is so good.

I totally get that he is musically bored and wants to experiment with new styles, and I am glad he perpetually moves outside his comfort zone. Nothing personal against him, but I'm just ready for him to be done with this hyper minimalist mumbling and growling rapid lyrics that don't rhyme phase. I also really don't get how so many of his fans like this style so much, because it just is not representative to me of this man's talent in any capacity
yeah, i understand these sentiments. I was let down at first by among the leaves which was his first major album to mark the change in songwriting style. It's still a mixed bag but it grew on me big time. I just really like that the lyrics are so raw and in your face now, it totally works for me.

I loved almost all his previous work too and i've just recently started checking out the red house painters last few albums, especially old ramon is awesome. Among the Leaves and Benji aren't a complete change from everything he's done, it's still sad, beautiful, catchy, his guitar playing is still immaculate. it's just all a bit more raw and in your face and especially with the subjects that he sings about on Benji it really works for me. It's maybe my favourite SKM album.

about all the other stuff he releases, i don't listen to all the live albums, i really like the album with desertshore and i like the first half of perils from the sea.

a lot of things make me laugh too, which is kind of a new quality in his music. i like the nels cline disses

Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #13
redbreegull

there are definitely some gems hidden in the midst of the cumbersome Amongst the Leaves. Elaine, Lonely Mountain, The Winery... great stuff. And I really dig the title track too, it's got this groovy beat that makes it a bit simon and garfunkel or something. drinking wild irish rose / at the dark end of the road / sleeping with the sparrows.

I will listen to benji again soon and see what it does for me. I think I have to stop trying to so hard to like it and just kind of go for the journey

Old 03-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #14
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Love this:

Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
mkoz has never gotten me laid, but he's gotten me a lot of, "....this music is really depressing....."
It can be a kind of litmus test. If that was "too depressing" then surely Beyoncé or lil wayne would make those panties fall.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
slunken
Virgo

If that's the case you know you've made a huge mistake.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
redbreegull

percentage of people on earth who would want to have sex with someone for listening to mark kozelek: like .0000001%

Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
noyen
Immortal

OK man take care.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #19
Mooney
Socialphobic

i haven't listened to sun kil moon since 'ghosts of the great highway,' but i'm half a song into 'benji' and it sounds like it could be the counting crows.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
percentage of people on earth who would want to have sex with someone for listening to mark kozelek: like .0000001%
you need to move out of your bullshit suburban ass living space apparently

Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

although yah not FOR that reason

you ever go to one of this guy's shows or maybe you should move to the town near you that he plays in

Old 03-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #22
redbreegull

one day maybe you will leave austin and discover that the whole world is not one giant hipster band camp jerkoff

Old 03-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #23
redbreegull

also I have been to Mark Kozelek shows, they usually attract a few hundred people at most and the ratio of men to women is maybe 10:1, plus they are all 40 years old because unlike Smashing Pumpkins, he has consistently put out amazing music for 25 years and not been a raging shit to his original fans.

nevertheless, no one fucking knows who this guy is. we do because we are into like SERIOUS INDIE MUSIC or whatever, but most people who like 90s music and alternative rock still don't know who the fuck he is. my estimate of .0000001% of the population being those individuals who would have sex with someone because they listened to mark kozelek is probably way too high.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #24
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
i haven't listened to sun kil moon since 'ghosts of the great highway,' but i'm half a song into 'benji' and it sounds like it could be the counting crows.
I don't get that, but I also don't care too much for the newer stuff.

If you liked Ghosts, do yourself a serious favor and listen to April, the whole album is basically about Katy of Katy Song dying of cancer. it will rip your heart out of your chest, stomp the shit out of it, stab it a dozen times, then send flowers and condolences to your friends and family. It takes the folky sound of Blue Guitar/Ghosts and combines it with themes and atmospherics that are more like his early albums

Old 03-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #25
redbreegull

a burning star over long lost highway
my fallen lover died so young
and all the gifts you gave, I have them
and all your love I'm still holding onto

Old 03-27-2014, 01:08 AM   #26
redbreegull

Sunshine in Chicago makes me feel pretty sad
My band played here a lot in the nineties when we had
Lots of female fans and fuck they all were cute
Now I just sign posters for guys in tennis shoes

Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 AM   #27
redbreegull

I'm listening to some bootleg kozelek live thing from 2004 and he just made a really uncomfortable joke about raping a teenage girl

Old 03-27-2014, 04:02 AM   #28
redbreegull

it was in a set of impromptu lyrics in the last verse of glenn tipton

Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #29
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
one day maybe you will leave austin and discover that the whole world is not one giant hipster band camp jerkoff
talk about bitter, jesus christ dude

you're talking about how nobody knows who "your boy"mark kozalek is, and then you act like a dick when i suggest that you move to some place where young people gather and then you might be surprised that people are talking about mark kozalek out loud, in bars, and parks, and his intimate shows are pre-sale sellouts and you could make nice with a pretty girl because you have an interest you share. women i know love that shit. I'm like kind of eh but noyen, joeri and teedub all have good taste so i should probably listen until it clicks.

i hate to tell you son, but you're a "hipster" too. especially if you seem to wear a badge on your sleeve for being one of .000001% of people who know who he is, even though this thread has several people talking about him and this guy i know about thru netphoria and word of mouth and the fact that you could say the same thing about leonard cohen in the blighted suburbian dystopia but in Austin the man has to add a date because his first one sold out in 20 minutes. LEONARD COHEN.

and i lived in san antonio for 9 years, btw. so i'm pretty aware of the cultural null in middle america. in fact that was the point, that you don't have to settle for that cultural backwater where a rick springfield concert is going to be a major event. nobody knows who the fuck leonard cohen is in san antonio.

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 03-27-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #30
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
aw man you know them?? cool they're my second favourite band