Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #1
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Default Billy & D'Arcy - A Timeline

1998:

"I think that's probably one of the most misunderstood things about the Pumpkins is that it is the inner dynamic that we have that makes our music very poignant to us and people get very caught up in like 'I did this, they did that'. It's never been like that for us. It really is the chemistry between us.
The other day I was doing an interview and the guy asked me 'why is it important for James and D'Arcy to still be in the band?'. And I said 'well, every song that I've ever written that means anything to me, James and D'Arcy were in the room...so...whatever that chemistry is...whatever dynamic we have...it's a magical thing and at this point we don't even question it'. I feel very strongly that D'Arcy really is the moral conscience of the band. I mean...D'Arcy is the strongest person in the band and James is probably the most sensitive. In between the two of them there's a polar axis that goes on that levels me out and I think pulls them in and out so it's pretty amazing."

2016:

"And speaking of those I’ve been fortunate enough to share the stage with, I see that it’s D’arcy Wretzky’s birthday today: So a big and happy B-Day to her from here! I’m encouraged to hear that she is playing music once more, and writing songs. As I’ve often said, no one had better musical discernment in our band than she.

As I head home, it’s crazy to think that it was nearly 30 years ago that I began this wild and wooly journey, and that meeting James, then D’arcy, then Jimmy would alter all of our lives forever; for the better, I would argue. Which I suppose makes the hardships that came too, bittersweet. And as I feel speculation start to swirl about what happens next for SP, I’d like to say quite simply and directly that what matters most to Jeff and I is the music. Because from our darkest days together over the last 10 years it’s been our faith that the music we make, and by extension our loving curation of the songs made from the beginning on, that’d sail this old, creaky ship forward to another year."

https://www.stereogum.com/1874678/bi...em-essay/news/

"There’s excitement there that surrounds the idea that maybe there’s the possibility that we will get back together, but until you here it coming from my mouth that the band is getting back together and we will play dates, my primary concern is the family relationships of the band that are ultimately so much more important. I can tell you without a doubt that if that band ever gets back on stage, it will be about music, it will be about playing music that fans love, and that we love."

https://www.stereogum.com/1894249/bi...n-rumors/news/

2017:

"Howard asked Billy if he’s getting along with the original Smashing Pumpkins members now, and Billy said that he is. He said he was thinking about it the other night, and that they gave him this faith that he didn’t have with his family, as they were following him when no one else would. He said without them in the beginning, he wouldn’t have had anything.

Howard said that Billy’s Smashing Pumpkins bandmates risked their future with him, and he feels that way about his radio partners Robin, Fred, Gary, and even the guys who joined later, as they’re putting their careers on the line for him. Billy said that they didn’t question it at all in the beginning. Howard said Robin always had his back, and it brings him to tears. Billy said he has the same emotion about the original Smashing Pumpkins.

He said that he was recently apologizing to D’arcy for being an asshole in the band and she cut him off and said, “Billy. You wrote so many great songs, you had to be that way.” He said it was a profoundly healing moment."

https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...izing-asshole/

"But drummer Jimmy Chamberlin returned to the band in 2015, and the next year Corgan smoothed things over with Iha and even reestablished a relationship with reclusive bassist D'arcy Wretzky. "I talk to D'arcy all the time," says Corgan. "We reconnected, I guess, about a year and half ago. We talk really regularly. I'm really happy to have her back in my life."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...mpkins-w504739

2018:

"Speaking exclusively to BlastEcho via text, Wretzky wrote, “My apologies to all of the Smashing Pumpkins fans out there who are excited about this oncoming reunion tour of the original members of the band. I know this is a huge disappointment for me, as well, but it’s not going to happen [with me].”

She added, “I only just found about yesterday that the band has decided to go with a different bass player.”
"

https://blastecho.com/exclusive-darc...pkins-reunion/

"However, now Corgan has taken to Instagram to shoot down the rumours of himself, Iha or Schroeder picking up the bass, suggesting that the band will most likely now have three guitarists and perhaps a session player on bass duties. He also downplayed the role that Wretsky played in the band’s 2000 album ‘Machina’ and key moments of their earlier work – referring to her as a ‘flaxen Saxon’."

http://www.nme.com/news/music/billy-...t-role-2237234

Old 02-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Billy & James:

2004:

"Four years later, Corgan explained what happened. "The truth of the matter is that guitarist James Iha broke up the Smashing Pumpkins," he wrote online. "Not me, not drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, but James. Did it help that bassist D'arcy Wretzky was fired for being a mean-spirited drug addict, who refused to get help? No, that didn't help keep the band together, not at all." He went on to explain that Iha left the final show without saying a word to him. "He didn't say goodbye to the two people he had won and lost and traveled the world with," he wrote. "So, I won't be protecting him anymore and I won't be protecting a whole lot of other people anymore." "

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...pkins-19691231

2005:

"EW Which of your two bands is more likely to reunite?

BC Pumpkins. You'll never see Zwan. I'll never go anywhere near those people. Ever. I mean, I detest them. You can put that in capital letters. Bad people. James and D'Arcy are good people. They might be misguided people, but they're good people. I completely believe in them as human beings, no matter what they do, no matter what they say. I stood on stages with them and watched us change the world, change people's thinking, rock f---ing big-time. You can't take that away from me. That's locked in my heart.

Those photos that were released when she was arrested for missing a court date last year suggested she wasn’t really in a good place

“Yeah, it’s terrible. But she’s not a bad person. And I don’t hold any ill will towards her, even though I’ve had to deal with fucking lawsuits and stuff like that. If there’s any fucking culprit in this it’s Iha. But y’know, he was there at the right time in my life, we did do good things together, I think he is a good musician when he gives a fuck, which most of the time he doesn’t. And that’s about it.”"

http://ew.com/article/2005/05/23/bil...kins-and-zwan/

2012:

"Do you still feel any rancor towards other band members about the way it ended?

“Uhhh… I’m OK with Jimmy. We don’t have a relationship at the moment, but I mean, I have no ill will. I want to see him do well. James Iha I think is just a piece of shit. I think he’s one of the worst human beings I’ve ever met in my life. And D’arcy, she’s sort of, in her own way, sort of an innocent.” "

http://archive.alternativenation.net...-fucking-liar/

2016:

https://i.imgur.com/5Tvz1Db.gif?1698

2018:

Old 02-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Crepe
Demi-God

I wouldn't put too much thoughts into the blastecho article

Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
paranoid
Minion of Satan

did this really need it's own thread?

Old 02-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Yes.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

amoergosum did not have to make this thread, but he did. He did that shit just for us!

Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #7
run2pee
Minion of Satan

i am orgasm — along with croghams bluffs — is the most generous + wild hearted of sp chat boarders at this very time

Keep up the good work you help to make it essential reading these days

I also like t&t, excellent posts recently

Old 02-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #8
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
no.

it needed its own thread.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #9
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Old 02-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
FoolofaTook

I am orgasm

LOL

Old 02-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #11
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I just want to get there faster.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

after reading the first couple of posts, thread seems like it should be called Billy, James, & D'arcy

Old 02-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #13
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I just want to get there faster.
tell me wat ur after

Old 02-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #14
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Smile

Great research!

Old 02-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
T&T
Socialphobic

I like this thread. Much better than any Sad Machines garbage some of those mole mods are trying to push on us.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #16
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Freedom of speech go to Hell!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #17
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

If someone isn't in good health, maybe the best thing to do as a friend is to not pressure that person into a commitment that they can't handle. Just a thought I had. Imagine the hatred towards a certain someone if a beloved member of the band became very ill or worst case scenario died on tour (again). I wouldn't want to carry that guilt on my shoulders, either.

Imagine Sad Machines imploding with "OMG you killed her just so you could have a reunion tour you greedy pig ugly pig!"

Just a thought. There is always more to the story.

:twisted:

p.s. I'm not butthurt about it.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:04 PM   #18
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Excellent job putting those all in chronological order.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:04 AM   #19
Skradgee
Boardcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
If someone isn't in good health, maybe the best thing to do as a friend is to not pressure that person into a commitment that they can't handle. Just a thought I had. Imagine the hatred towards a certain someone if a beloved member of the band became very ill or worst case scenario died on tour (again). I wouldn't want to carry that guilt on my shoulders, either.

Imagine Sad Machines imploding with "OMG you killed her just so you could have a reunion tour you greedy pig ugly pig!"

Just a thought. There is always more to the story.

:twisted:

p.s. I'm not butthurt about it.
Mind blown.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #20
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
Sad Machines would never do that. They worship Billy. He could literally do anything and no matter how bad it was they would excuse it.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:24 AM   #21
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

I need to google this “Sad Machines”.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:53 AM   #22
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

https://asset-service.out.customink....MDQyNGU1YWYyYQ

Old 02-08-2018, 12:56 AM   #23
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Sad Machines would never do that. They worship Billy. He could literally do anything and no matter how bad it was they would excuse it.
That's how they got their name "Sad Machines":

For their loyalty on a level of stupidity...

Old 02-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #24
Candy Cane
Demi-God

Location: Where the willows weep and the whirpools sleep you'll find me.

I had to google 'flaxen saxon'. Thought it was an eighties hair metal band at first.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #25
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Alright but for real that Flaxen Saxon post is the most spiteful and petty thing Billy has said since saying that the members of Zwan were fundamentally bad people.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #26
T&T
Socialphobic

I still don't know what it means.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #27
FoolofaTook

THAT SHE'S BLONDE.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #28
T&T
Socialphobic

I don't understand. can you speak up?

Old 02-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #29
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

August 2016:

"Famously mercurial frontman Billy Corgan just revealed in a Facebook Live video that he’s reconciled with bassist D’arcy Wretzky, who he kicked out of the band back in 1999. The two haven’t spoken since the split.

“We’re back in contact again, the band,” Corgan said in the video, according to a transcript by Alternative Nation. “I’ve been in communication with D’arcy for the first time in 16 or 17 years, it’s awesome to have my friend back. So we’re all in communication, which as I said not too long ago, my primary interest in the old band was us having good relationships again.”

Corgan made sure to do some hype control when addressing the possibility of a reunion: “So of course when you get to the point where you’re in communication, and the relationships are good again, and it’s a good vibe, you yourself, and people around you who know what’s going on, start saying: ‘Is the band going to get back together?’ We’re not at that point, and I think that’s a good thing. We’re not rushing to something, we have to repair some things between us, and see what’s out there for us, if those opportunities are even there.

“We’re not interested, nor have we ever been interested, in just going out to play because there’s a big stack of money there. Of course the business is part of what goes on, but the band was never about that, and if the band should ever be again in that form, in some iteration, obviously because there’s other people involved, because it would be about the music.” "

https://www.spin.com/2016/08/billy-c...darcy-wretzky/

Old 02-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #30
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

...a very telling response:

January 2016:

JW: “I think it makes personally…but everyone wants to know that for some reason. I know that’s so not who we are now. I guess the question would be, would it make sense to sit down and have tea with either of them [Iha or Wretzky]? Because you spent so much time together, would you like to know who they are now?”

BC: “I know who they are…and they know who I am. When you spend that amount of time with somebody, of course they matured…I think the only way to answer every one of these questions is…I have no interest in doing anything that’s inorganic. I have people in my band now that I talk to…and they don’t want to talk to me and I don’t want to talk to them. If they try were lying on the side of the road, I would stop my car and bring them to the hospital, but we don’t send Christmas cards to each other. There’s no relationship. And so when you’re talking about the natural human instinct to find forgiveness and heal a relationship, I think that never ends. That’s a human thing, it has nothing to do with the band or people creating memories. The business of it all, I find quite gross…I think people rarely get out of those things [original reunions] what they think they’re gonna get. Because when a relationship breaks, and I would take it back more to something you’ve experienced in your family life or your romantic life, whatever, when a relationship breaks there are times it’s not gonna get any better. It’s what it was for what it was, underneath a particular set of circumstances…[inaudible]…There’s no temptation there for me. Strickly on my part I think it’s like, “Would I like to find peace?” Absolutely, of course. But beyond all the other stuff…I can’t even imagine that being able to watch.

https://www.alternativenation.net/bi...hing-pumpkins/