Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
slunken
Virgo

Default bystarlight.org - am i doing something wrong?

hadn't visited in a while. was the goal of this site redesign to make it impossibly hard to navigate and search? go to detailed search and click on "all transcripts" and they are completely out of order. if you search by year then you get everything that is tagged with that year. also still completely out of order. navigating the pictures is even more impossible. is there a backdoor-ish url i'm not seeing that puts all of this information in a linear/chronological format?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
slunken
Virgo

its like the site thinks i'm an idiot and wants to give me as much info as possible but if you pretty much know what you are looking for you have to sift and sift and sift

Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
slunken
Virgo

oh wait the "detailed search page" scrolls down a bunch and has everything seperated like it used to (band member/year/etc) oh silly me

i still think the tumblr-esque scrolling splash pages are confusing nonsense

Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
slunken
Virgo

thus concludes my review of an easter morning experience with your website. keep music alive. your brother in christ - slunken

Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
TuralyonW3
Immortal

oh did you say something

Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
slunken
Virgo

no. carry on.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
celestials
Oblivious Virgin

No, the site's re-design wasn't meant to make things more complicated. The interviews section functions the same way as it did before. The front page is simply a feed of the latest uploads.

When you said: "click on "all transcripts" and they are completely out of order. if you search by year then you get everything that is tagged with that year. also still completely out of order." ---For the most part, the search results will always generate interviews in the order that they were uploaded to the site. So, the order is always going to be pretty random. When you click on a particular year, everything from that year is supposed to show up. If all the interviews filed under that year did not show up, then that would be a bad thing.

What were you looking for? Maybe I can explain to you the most efficient method to find it. There is also a standard google-style search bar in the footer and all sidebars.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and I'll keep it in mind. I always try to make the navigation as easy as possible.

Last edited by celestials : 03-31-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
celestials
Oblivious Virgin

I should add that I worked with Eric from spfc.org to create a feed on his site. If you prefer the plain text layout, you can see all the interviews that are on my site here: http://www.spfc.org/news-press/interviews.html

Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestials View Post

What were you looking for? Maybe I can explain to you the most efficient method to find it. There is also a standard google-style search bar in the footer and all sidebars.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and I'll keep it in mind. I always try to make the navigation as easy as possible.
it was the use of tagging for years that was throwing me off. searching for guitar magazine interviews from the mid-90s (of which there are only a handful) and seeing pages and pages of blurbs from the past couple years regarding reissues or whatever was infuriating me.

regarding the search bar - "1996 guitar" aren't exactly super-specific search terms which is why i was hoping to search by year and then browse that selection. btw i was looking for the 1997 (september i think but it may be january) issue of maximum guitar (i think it is) where corgan/iha break down the aeroplane flies high. couldn't find it on the site at all.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
celestials
Oblivious Virgin

Hey pavementtune I don't recognize your username, but hey!

Do you mean Guitar World Magazine specifically? In that case, I recommend searching "Guitar World" in the search bar in the footer and you will get this: http://bystarlight.org/interviews/?s="guitar+world"

It's important to use the " " so the words guitar and world are not searched as separate items.

I would only search things by year if you're not looking for anything specific, but are interested in knowing more about that particular time.

Someone just sent me a scan of the January 1997 article, so I will try to get that on the site as soon as I can. In the meantime, you can read it here: http://www.starla.org/articles/gw5.htm

The interviews section is by no means comprehensive at the moment. There are only 185 articles up right now.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
celestials
Oblivious Virgin

I'm still in the process of coding so the interviews have some formatting issues right now. I'll think about how I can make things clearer though. Thanks for letting me know

Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestials View Post
Hey pavementtune I don't recognize your username, but hey!

Do you mean Guitar World Magazine specifically? In that case, I recommend searching "Guitar World" in the search bar in the footer and you will get this: http://bystarlight.org/interviews/?s="guitar+world"

It's important to use the " " so the words guitar and world are not searched as separate items.

I would only search things by year if you're not looking for anything specific, but are interested in knowing more about that particular time.

Someone just sent me a scan of the January 1997 article, so I will try to get that on the site as soon as I can. In the meantime, you can read it here: http://www.starla.org/articles/gw5.htm

The interviews section is by no means comprehensive at the moment. There are only 185 articles up right now.
yea that's the article i was looking for. actually was specifically looking for scans so its good to know they will be up soon. awesome.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

I have a cat.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
bs1933
Demi-God

That article was a great read! I wish it was even more in depth!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
celestials
Oblivious Virgin

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Now that a highly valued SP fan registered - how about you, Juliana?
I know you're on netphoria regularly.
Come on, you know you want to.
Highly valued? As in MVP? hahaha - awesome x)

I asked Juliana about it, but she said no ;(

Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #16
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

lol what?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
celestials
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Hey Marie/Celestials,
I'm not sure if I fully understand what's been going on since I don't pay much attention to twitter:
You're dropping bystarlight.org because of Billy's ongoing support of Monte/crestfallen?
And SPumpkinsUK will stop his video uploads, too? Who else is leaving - Lucky 13,spfc.org, sp freaks?

Wouldn't it be more effective to get Nicole to convince the band to find another way of communicating their news?
It's definitely not for that reason and it's not that simple. I'm not sure how much I want to elaborate on my reasons for leaving the fan community at this moment. Let's just say that I have seen and experienced a lot of things that I just can't turn a blind eye to and ignore. I have spoken to Nicole in the past, and despite having an interviews archive, the capability to have a news section/blog, having more followers than both of Monte's twitter accounts combined, etc...It was made pretty clear to me that my site and social media accounts were not suitable enough to communicate any news through. That was something that I could live with, but other things have happened since then.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
T&T
Socialphobic

lets hear the dirt.
don't skimp on the details.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
celestials
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Okay, thank you for answering.
Just to be clear:
Nicole is aware that their chosen news outlet is run by a Prop 8 supporter and it's going to stay that way?
She is 100% aware of both his past and present support for Prop 8. I think we can safely assume that she read his most recent post on this. Her latest status on Facebook is basically saying that the continued support for Crestfallen is the band's way of showing compassion and acceptance for his beliefs and actions. Also, that tolerating his differing views is the right thing to do.

https://www.facebook.com/NicoleFiore...35165396508942

I appreciate that she addressed the issue, and I realize that she put herself in the cross-fire for publicly stating her opinion. I believe in her philosophy and I do practice it for the most part. But there is a limit, and she said herself that the limit is "as long as it doesn't infringe upon the basic human rights of another". Not only did he say that gay people should not be allowed to marry as any other heterosexual couple, but that they also should not be able to adopt children. If that does not infringe basic human rights, then I don't know what does.

And it's not like he posted that on his own personal blog, but on a Smashing Pumpkins fan website and within the Smashing Pumpkins music section. Also, during his time as some kind of fan representative or "the voice of the band" as many people say.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
celestials
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
lets hear the dirt.
don't skimp on the details.
I'll think about it. It's like 2 years of bullshit to rummage through.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ooh! what else happened?
did you get in trouble regarding copyrights? or did the lucky 13 debacle grow too big to stay motivated?

how did it come about that your site wasn't the right place for any news from the band, and was that like a slap in the face?

you mention breaking ties with monty, and leaving lucky 13, even before you read monty's post where he explained his views. (i think i read that. correct me if i'm wrong.)
how come? was it personal? or was it related to one of the reasons mentioned above?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

This is the most interesting thread on here in 2 years. Dirt, please.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
Eulogy
huh

lol so nicole's an idiot too?

personal "discrimination" regarding who you fucking funnel news to is not the same as enshrining discrimination in a goddamn law.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
SPumpkinsUK
Pledge

Quote:
Hey Marie/Celestials,
I'm not sure if I fully understand what's been going on since I don't pay much attention to twitter:
You're dropping bystarlight.org because of Billy's ongoing support of Monte/crestfallen?
And SPumpkinsUK will stop his video uploads, too? Who else is leaving - Lucky 13,spfc.org, sp freaks?

Wouldn't it be more effective to get Nicole to convince the band to find another way of communicating their news?
Well, i'm finishing off the Machina footage. I might toy with the idea of some Auf der Maur and some more James solo stuff afterwards, once my strike lifts I'll finish off the full length '98-'00 shows. Toying with the idea of the Zeitgeist era footage, depends on my mood, I'm only uploading as far as my interest takes me.

The reasons behind a lot of this go very deep and have been a very major issue for a long time now. I've supported Marie and bystarlight.org for many months now, she's a very unique person and fan and the more we spoke the more we connected. She drove me forward with projects more than anyone I've known in the decade beforehand. She has and always will have my support, it's hard to really express in words, she has my deepest respect! The SP Freaks team too are also an amazing team, I'm proud of their work and what they're trying to accomplish. Two sites who are do what they do because they're passionate about doing it and it shows in abundance!

Well, that's the upside of a couple of major sites in the SP World. Even Netphoria has a long established history, sometimes I feel like this community doesn't get enough credit! The amount of material that has surfaced and circulated through here hardly gets recognised and is inhabited by people who have been around a very long time and are extremely knowledgeable.

But the down side is a little more complex, something is very broken and has been for a long time and it's really down to one major flaw. I've never been involved in the bands affairs officially and I never will be, but I've been privy to things over the last 6 years from people who are. It's a shame really! But still, I have nothing to lose over speaking out.

I feel like I've said a whole bunch of nothing. But over recent events, one in particular just made me agog, that's kinda when I knew when things were never going to change and will always remain broken. I hope the band realise the weak link, I don't think they realise how much damage is being caused rather than being a positive influence.

Lastly, a quote:

"But I want to make clear that I also firmly believe in the freedom of speech and everyone's right to their own opinion, so long as it doesn't infringe upon the basic human rights of another."

Kinda thought Proposition 8 was infringing on the rights of same sex couples to marry like a man and woman are legally allowed too...

Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #25
Eulogy
huh

why are you being so vague

Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #26
D.
Consume my pants.

so basically everyone's signing off on the band over Monte's support of Prop 8 and the Pumpkins refusal to refuse to work with Monte?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #27
SPumpkinsUK
Pledge

Nutshells aren't pretty. There's a lot of outlines but unfortunately, like a lot of things people will paint their own colours into matters. The fuse has just been burning for far too long, after many months, a delicate situation has just sent it exploding everywhere.

Nothing is unresolvable. Yes things are vague, but things are still extremely fresh. Right now it's a case of 'What can really be said?' Better to be vague and give light there's problems rather than say too much and make it unworkable for the future.

Just saying that things are broken, but ultimately, can they be repaired? No ultimatums or anything, a lot of people acknowledge there's been a spanner between the band and the fans and lately the band acknowledge and don't care. Do the band even know that a band questionnaire for the fans had no questions from any fan and only from the man who was meant to be asking other people for? How far can I go and how much can I say? As I said, I have nothing to lose by doing this!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPumpkinsUK View Post
As I said, I have nothing to lose by doing this!
Jesus christ then either be specific or shut the fuck up about it. good god.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
SPumpkinsUK
Pledge

Quote:
Could you please just be straight forward and name the "one major flaw", SPumpkinsUK (is it Ash ?) or what it is that is broken?
I mean both you and Marie have said it's more than SP's support of Monte, but neither is willing to say what else has been going on, that leaves me assuming Prop 8 crestfallen is not just one but the major reason.
So much focus on Prop 8! The tip of the iceberg is several feet yet to begin before that comes into play!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
Eulogy
huh

i might just start deleting obnoxiously overly vague posts