MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Default Star Wars Episode 7

Disney buys Lucasfilm... More Star Wars movies to come

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disn...-wars-creator/

Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Beat me to it - huge breaking news. Outta control.

Wonder what this means re: the old ones. Will they be able to release 4-6 on blu-ray without Lucas and his "revisions"?

Furthermore: what do you think the odds are that even Disney can make a better movie than The Phantom Menace?

Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Will ford fisher and Hami be involved is the ?

Old 10-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

someone shoot me in the fucking face please

Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

...with a giant load

Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Lucas was sole owner of Lucasfilms. I wonder if this includes the gaming and TV divisions, which were the only real active parts of his business in the past few years.

Kind of shocked about this. Lucas has always swore he'd never again allow a studio to control his films.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Honestly, the prequels were kind of like Disney films anyway. Poor George sold his baby. I wonder how Disney will adhere to the established lore and what this means for the hardcore nerds. Again though, the cartoons kind of fucked with the lore already - resurrecting Darth Maul? never shoulda killed him in the first place. The Force Unleashed? Jesus... It's like Star Wars is too big to be controlled by a single man anymore.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

there have been plans for years to do a live action television series. rumors were that there were storylines written for several seasons worth of episodes. it never seemed to get off the ground, though.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Seeing Episode 1 for the first time was like my first listen to Zeitgeist. Halfway through both of them I started to wish i could rewind time and pretend neither had ever been made

Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
there have been plans for years to do a live action television series. rumors were that there were storylines written for several seasons worth of episodes. it never seemed to get off the ground, though.
yeah, Lucas said he planned to do this like a decade ago, but then just within the last two years or so he said Star Wars was completely over with and he would never do anything else in the franchise.

Star Wars already has several tiers of recognized "canon," so I'm sure this will just add another level to that nonsense

Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

yeah I was 10 when that came out, so I loved Episode I.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I used to be a hardcore boarder on theforce.net boards.... all the way back to the very beginning of that website. As strange as netphoria is or has ever been, that the SW fan scene is some of the weirdest shit i've ever been witness to online.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

haha TFN... forgot about that place. Did you ever go to Killer Movie Forums?

Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

No. I made a deal with myself not to let my SW obsession bleed into other boards. Although, there was a small group of us at TFN who created an invite only board about 10 yrs ago after the site admins kept locking an ongoing mega thread that we had started. The sole purpose of the secret board was so we could all all log in at night and get wasted. sort of like the gen board in here.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
redbreegull

yeah I loved Ep 1 when it came out as well (I was 9). Sebulba was fucking cool in 1999. I didn't really become disillusioned until after all the prequels were done and I could admit to myself that they are balls

Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Banana
Banned

Hopefully it's not as brainless and stupid as The Avengers movie or any of the other Marvel movies.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Hopefully it's not as brainless and stupid as The Avengers movie or any of the other Marvel movies.
Have you seen the trailer for Iron Man 3? Looks like a big improvement over the last one.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

a piece I wrote for GloriousNoise.com the year the last Star Wars film was released.

http://gloriousnoise.com/2005/reveng...lue_yoda_socie

Quote:
When The Phantom Menace opened 16 years to the day after Return Of The Jedi, I was married, had a mortgage and was in a perfect position to get clobbered. The pre-hype run-up to the movie had caught me off guard. I got into the spoiler hunt. I spent hours online at theforce.net arguing with other geeks, a passion which also led me to other obscure online associations, such as The Blue Yoda Society. At work I started doodling Tie Fighters and Storm Troopers on my Power Point Presentations during meetings. When Toys R Us rolled out the first toys in the Phantom Menace line, my friend Jake [Um, Jake who? - ed.] and I were there, digging through the mountain of Kenner shit looking for the “rare” action figures. My life had degenerated and I was living in the 3rd grade all over again. Except now I had the money to buy what I used to have to beg for. I was a God damn mess.

I managed to get passes to an early screening of Menace. Jake and I drove across the state to Pontiac, Michigan. It was a pilgrimage of sorts. Alas, The Phantom Menace sucked ass. Although I went on defending the film for years, it was an enormous disappointment. Within a few weeks I’d given up on the every expanding line of new Star Wars toys. And although I took my mother to see the film over Memorial Day weekend (as we had every single other Star Wars film in years past), the experience fell flat. I came to realize that the expectations of childhood and the fantasy life of my younger years didn’t fit in my adult life. It was a marketing ploy, a let down, a great big joke punctuated by “Jar Jar’s Big Adventure.”

Old 10-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Have you seen the trailer for Iron Man 3? Looks like a big improvement over the last one.
there is no way that The Mandarin is not going to suck

Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Why do you think Mandarin is going to suck? Because he has supernatural powers unlike all the other Iron Man villains so far? Or because the actor who is playing him isn't oriental like the character?

Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #21
Order 66
Socialphobic

i was actually hoping there'd be an episode 7. simply because Return of the Jedi was a lame way to end everything. i thought star wars could use a nice epilogue

but selling it to disney? even more movies? obviously not what i had in mind, and it sets open a nerd's pandora's box for everything that could go wrong. but... i am kinda sorta optimistic... i'm one of the weird few who actually enjoyed the prequels for what they were (at least episodes 2&3).. i dont think they 'raped my childhood' or anything. but then again star wars was never a big presence in my childhood to begin with

Last edited by Order 66 : 10-30-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #22
redbreegull

Quote:
Why do you think Mandarin is going to suck? Because he has supernatural powers unlike all the other Iron Man villains so far? Or because the actor who is playing him isn't oriental like the character?
people are asian, oriental is not an appropriate adjective for humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
i was actually hoping there'd be an episode 7. simply because Return of the Jedi was a lame way to end everything. i thought star wars could used a nice epilogue
I wonder if they will just ignore all the literature that tried to fill in the story post-ROTJ or if they will just make up new characters or what

Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
it'll suck because it's a racist character, and the film studio won't be able to make his depiction PC and still interesting at the same time. I realize that it's Ironman's nemisis from the original comics, but it's probably best to leave it alone for the films.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

del

Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
Order 66
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post

I wonder if they will just ignore all the literature that tried to fill in the story post-ROTJ or if they will just make up new characters or what
yeah that's the goofiest thing about it really. there already is a sequel trilogy written (the thrawn trilogy) and it's critically acclaimed by fans. it'd be kind of tacky to just ignore it, i think they should at least try to incorporate some of the story elements in there. but whatevs

Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #26
Order 66
Socialphobic

more likely i'm betting episode 7 will take place far in the future though. i think that was the word once rumors about this started last summer

Old 10-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
yeah that's the goofiest thing about it really. there already is a sequel trilogy written (the thrawn trilogy) and it's critically acclaimed by fans. it'd be kind of tacky to just ignore it, i think they should at least try to incorporate some of the story elements in there. but whatevs
I was gonna say, I would fucking love if they did the thrawn trilogy for these movies. and yeah, the EU canon is a nightmare, possibly worse than star trek before they nuked it all

Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
Andy /

Quote:
i'm one of the weird few who actually enjoyed the prequels for what they were (at least episodes 2&3)
i still think phantom menace was better than attack of the clones

Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #29
Order 66
Socialphobic

attack of the clones had some pacing issues. and the infamous love scenes

but i think people don't really 'understand' the prequels. its supposed to be about a kid with a promising future who ends up evil, and it did it a competent job of that. it was never meant to be 'star wars 2'

Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Just saw a statement from Lucas saying that there will be 3 more films. And Lucas will not be directly involved beyond the story lines. He will not write or direct the next three films.