Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default Question about abandoned Soma tracks

from https://archive.org/details/tsp1993-06-30.pfm.flac16

At around 2:09 Billy/James freak out in the first one. 3:05 in the second one. Can anyone tell what happened? The instrumentation sounds fine, I think

Old 01-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
spacey raygun
Ownz

Lightbulb

sounds like bum notes to me.

hardly song-killing for most people, but for a perfectionist, maybe?

Old 01-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I wish there was more audio or video available that shows Billy screaming and losing his mind during a recording process.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

At the end of the 'Cinnamon Girl' cover from the pre-Gish demos you can hear Billy scream "HOW COULD YOU FUCK THAT UP?" in a very non-joking way.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Ram27
dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JRRA3CCCEI&t=42m45s

Old 01-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #6
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

wow, james followed the vocal melody for the lead on the first take, i had to relisten to that part at least 3 times just to catch that. what a dumb reason to stop the song

on the second song it just sounded like d'arcy went to the wrong note, but it was still in scale so that wasn't really a great reason to cut it either

never thought of this band as a perfectionist live band, only in the studio. guess it ran deeper than it seemed!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Yeah he had to make up for his lack of a decent voice somehow.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

he sounded good then, and live sp always sounded more "punk" for lack of better word so a coupla alt notes don't seem like they'd bring down the production exactly

Last edited by Mals Marola : 01-19-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #9
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
he sounded good then, and live sp always sounded more "punk" for lack of better word so a coupla alt notes don't seem like they'd bring down the production exactly
As the saying goes, if you give them an inch they'll take a mile.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
wow, james followed the vocal melody for the lead on the first take, i had to relisten to that part at least 3 times just to catch that. what a dumb reason to stop the song

on the second song it just sounded like d'arcy went to the wrong note, but it was still in scale so that wasn't really a great reason to cut it either

never thought of this band as a perfectionist live band, only in the studio. guess it ran deeper than it seemed!

I find it funny that Billy is getting super pissed at James for playing the wrong notes of a melody that James himself came up with. Also, I hear what you mean about James following the vocal melody right at the end, but I actually think it sounds better that way in an acoustic sense... helps to emphasize the melody more when contrasted with the understatement of the already-soft acoustic guitar.

Perhaps that why James was so good... he had a knack for doing small little things that add immeasurable quality and character to a song that Billy just can't get a sense of.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #11
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
I find it funny that Billy is getting super pissed at James for playing the wrong notes of a melody that James himself came up with. Also, I hear what you mean about James following the vocal melody right at the end, but I actually think it sounds better that way in an acoustic sense... helps to emphasize the melody more when contrasted with the understatement of the already-soft acoustic guitar.

Perhaps that why James was so good... he had a knack for doing small little things that add immeasurable quality and character to a song that Billy just can't get a sense of.
Jeff completely misses that knack.