Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Vinyl Question

So, thread over on the SP board about the Pisces original pressing VS reissue got me thinking...

If you've got an older LP that's rare/valuable/collector's piece/whatever - how many times does it take of listening to it before it starts losing value? If I've got a new turntable with a good needle and handle it carefully, is there any reason to worry about throwing it on every now and again affecting the record and therefore it's value?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
slunken
Virgo

no

Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
slunken
Virgo

just take good care of it and the worse that can happen is get some fingerprints on the label or around the edges who cares just don't scratch it and don't bang the cover around.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
slunken
Virgo

these are pretty essential too

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51V3ipqjgPL.jpg

i think the only records i've had degrade naturally from playing have been clear vinyl records but that's also because they probably were pretty cheap pressings.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
slunken
Virgo

http://eil.com/images/main/Freddie+M...CORD-25062.jpg

Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
noyen
Immortal

never leave a record in shrink wrap unless it has some sticker on it. save the sticker thingies on it if you want but then put it in a better sleeve. shrink wrapped records fuck up the sleeves more and more over time and all that pinching really sucks. if anything relieve the stress and slice just once side open where the record comes out. i wouldn't worry about playing it with a good needle. but just make sure you stick to one type of needle. spherical or elliptical. spherical wears your records out less. elliptical sounds better. this is a good page on the differences http://www.discjockey101.com/summer2007.html - just dont go from one to the other because i would think it would just wear the grooves out more either way. but i guess maybe you could go from elliptical to spherical and that would be better for the record. im not totally sure.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
MusicMan4

i don't care about the value
i buy records to listen to them b/c i am all about the MUSIC
rt if you agree

Old 11-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I don't know a ton about different types of needles or different qualities of vinyl, but ultimately it seems to me that records wear out when you play them. Play it once in awhile and it will wear out at a slower pace, but eventually if you spin it enough times it will start to develop pops and crackles and such no matter how good you are to it. The only way to be 100% sure the record won't wear out ever is to not play it.

but seriously fuck value, just play the record man

Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
redbreegull

spin the black circle

Old 11-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
slunken
Virgo

Value and condition go hand in hand. I care about value because I care about condition.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I don't know a ton about different types of needles or different qualities of vinyl, but ultimately it seems to me that records wear out when you play them. Play it once in awhile and it will wear out at a slower pace, but eventually if you spin it enough times it will start to develop pops and crackles and such no matter how good you are to it. The only way to be 100% sure the record won't wear out ever is to not play it.
This is basically horseshit and scare tactics

Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
redbreegull

go ahead and play the highest quality vinyl with the highest quality needle for years and see what happens

Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
slunken
Virgo

That's true for any physical media yet I've never heard anyone express fear when it comes to playing a CD

Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
redbreegull

...yes. so we agree then, the only way to ensure that the record acquires zero imperfections, clicks, pops, buzzes, etc. is to not play it.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
redbreegull

I mean my point isn't that he shouldn't play the record if he wants to keep it nice, spinning it once a week or once a month with a nice needle will cause very little degradation. My point was just that the degradation is still happening, just at a much slower pace than if you played it every day. If you spin the record once a week, given enough time it will develop noticeable imperfections in the sound, and no needle can prevent this.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
, given enough time it will develop noticeable imperfections in the sound, and no needle can prevent this.
Over this amount of time your own hearing wears down quicker than a record would.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
TuralyonW3
Immortal

especially if you listen to muse

Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Over this amount of time your own hearing wears down quicker than a record would.

ok man

Old 11-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #19
slunken
Virgo

what?

Old 11-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #20
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

in theory i suppose you're right that simply playing a record will slightly wear out the record. but if you handle the record with care, if you have a good stereo system, i don't believe you'd be able to hear any difference. I don't, at least.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #21
redbreegull

look maybe I am completely wrong, but my dad has been collecting vinyl since he was a teenager. He's been playing it on a high-end system that cost something like 4,000 bucks in 1974, which translates as very very expensive today. He has been obsessive compulsive about keeping his albums nice his whole life, and they still crackle and pop. That's just what happens when you play a record for years. To me, these little imperfections in the sound do not detract at all from the overarching truth that vinyl sound quality is just better and richer than what CDs have to offer. However, if you are looking to eliminate the possibility of your records developing imperfections, don't play them.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #22
redbreegull

I mean look the way the sound is produced is that a needle is run over the grooves in the record. This causes friction. Even if the vinyl itself is high quality and the needle is very nice, you aren't changing the fact that friction is occurring. It's like trying to keep a pair of shoes nice by only walking on hard, dry, smooth surfaces all the time. Yes, it will extend the life, but even if you only wear them once a week, they are going to start to show little signs of wear and tear.

Also, the nicer the needle, the MORE PROMINENTLY you will hear imperfections in the vinyl.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #23
Bread Regal
Banned

i would recommend Gruv Glide. It sounds like a gimmicky product but it works. It cleans the record, but more importantly it lowers the coefficient of friction. when the needle is dragged through the groove, the temperature of the vinyl itself elevates just a little bit. as a result, the material itself momentarily warps a little bit and then goes more to or less to its original shape. the effect of doing this over time will become more severe and the thing you'll notice first is that higher frequencies start to go away.

the coefficient of friction is directly proportional to the thermal energy that is transferred, so anything you can do to lower that coefficient is going to reduce how much the temperature of the record increases when you drag a needle across it. gruv glide is good for that. also, properly balancing the tonearm is important.

seconding what noyen said which is to keep consistent with the needle you are using (spherical vs elliptical) because changing it up will lead to irregular wear patterns.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #24
slunken
Virgo

if you're not already using elliptical you're screwed