Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default The general public's view of the Pumpkins' genre

It seems that a lot of people just think of the Pumpkins as a hard rock band, or a punk rock band

Which is weird, because (and of course I'm obviously way too deep into them because I'm posting here) that barely scratches the surface of their sound and scope; it's irritating: SP is much more than a generic low brow hard rock band.

Just looking at the MCIS singles, 2/5 are heavy songs: Bullet and Zero. The rest aren't: Tonight, 1979, 33.

weird innit

Old 05-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

Grunge and Alternative seem to be the main views.

But really they have a wide variety of rock genres: heavy rock, art rock, prog rock, conglomerate.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Ur mom is a conglomerate

Old 05-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
FoolofaTook

Also demonunicron are u related to imaginedragons?

Old 05-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
It seems that a lot of people just think of the Pumpkins as a hard rock band, or a punk rock band

Which is weird, because (and of course I'm obviously way too deep into them because I'm posting here) that barely scratches the surface of their sound and scope; it's irritating: SP is much more than a generic low brow hard rock band.

Just looking at the MCIS singles, 2/5 are heavy songs: Bullet and Zero. The rest aren't: Tonight, 1979, 33.

weird innit

That was the view when they were at their most popular, which did have more of an SP fan base as a result understanding the full scope and nuance of the bands music.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
inkless
Ownz

Do you have any idea who your fans are?
D'Arcy: We like people who tell us: "I only listen to dance, or metal, but you're my favorite band." We are unclassifiable.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

Conglomerate Rock

best definition

Old 05-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
or a punk rock band
I have never in my life heard anyone say the Pumpkins were even remotely punk rock. I can't fathom the type of person that would label them as such.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
Ram27
dumb

haha that's what my dad called them

Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #10
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

I think they get the general "alternative" tag. They were probably the quintessential commercial alternative band 96-97. Didn't they make some BS VH1 list for best hard rock bands? What the hell is alternative these days anyway?

Someone in a PJ facebook group was asking what happened to the pumpkins and whether they were grunge (from what I gather from the people in that group, some hate the pumpkins/some like the pumpkins and their 90s music, but everyone basically dislikes bollster as an individual).

I never really fully understood what grunge was. I guess it was the seattle bands and their imitators? Nirvana always seemed more punk. PJ more classic rock influenced, Soundgarden heavy rock, etc.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #11
fuzzyroes
Banned

grunge to me during the time these bands broke just represented the uber depressing, self-hating, raw , powerful guitar driven music that was coming out at the time.

To me Smashing Pumpkins were grunge, Nirvana's grunge, Alice In Chains are grunge... 3 bands that are all very different, but also very unique to the movement.

It's fair to point out that Pumpkins weren't "grunge" from Adore on and I'd typically agree. But MCIS and SD definitely have their grunge moments. A song like Bullet is every bit as grunge as Teen Spirit.. and actually probably even more so... Nothing more grunge than being a rat in a cage haha

Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #12
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

To me the Pumpkins were never grunge. Even in their most guitar driven years they still never had the grunge sound. If anything, Bullet was only attempting to capitalize on the sound. The Pumpkins will forever be an alternative rock band for me. They had such a varied sound throughout their first run but they always held onto that alternative spirit. Even the grindy, rawer Pumpkins tracks are far too complicated to fall under the grunge moniker. The grunge label is applied to so many genres that its lost its true qualifier. Think Green River, Mudhoney, Melvins (early), Nirvana (early), Soundgarden (mostly), Alice in Chains (first run), and not Screaming Trees, Hole, Pearl Jam, Collective Soul, Stone Temple Pilots. The 90’s were full of bands that put out a grunge sounding song to compete for that crossover sale. It’s the same thing you see today where bands are putting out EDM tinged rock.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #13
FoolofaTook

Dronedoom

Old 05-25-2017, 02:12 AM   #14
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

I feel like bill's constant obsession over how the masses perceive the band has created a corresponding, unnatural awareness of same perception in his fans. Do we really ought to care? If bill hadn't spoken about it so frequently, wouldn't it be way lower on fans' radar?

Old 05-25-2017, 02:22 AM   #15
hafsteinn
Pledge

General public has no idea of who they are/were.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:57 AM   #16
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:

weird innit
Lol... nobody, and I mean nobody thinks of the Pumpkins as a punk rock band.

As far as the general public is concerned, the Smashing Pumpkins was that group from the 90s that sang "Tonight, Tonight", "1979" and that rat in a cage song.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:54 AM   #17
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
Lol... nobody, and I mean nobody thinks of the Pumpkins as a punk rock band.

As far as the general public is concerned, the Smashing Pumpkins was that group from the 90s that sang "Tonight, Tonight", "1979" and that rat in a cage song.
exactly. the public sees the smashing pumpkins for the true hardcore band they are. not just 'punk' lol

Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #18
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Black Sabbath + My Bloody Valentine + Cheap Trick

Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #19
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

Worthless thread lmao. The word "alternative" encapsulates the sounds of all those singles, that's why they were always labeled as an alternative band...

Last edited by PuzzledMuzzle : 05-25-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #20
FoolofaTook

So happy I listen to Boris and don't have to worry about the publics perception of their genre.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #21
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

japnoise mostly

Old 05-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #22
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
suck a dick, dicksucker.
Lol

Old 05-26-2017, 12:35 AM   #23
lawson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I have never in my life heard anyone say the Pumpkins were even remotely punk rock. I can't fathom the type of person that would label them as such.
Yea most of my friends in the late 90s would say they weren't punk rock enough. I could put together 3 albums worth of only agressive tracks that would beat their favorite punk bands albums into the ground

Old 05-26-2017, 01:38 AM   #24
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Strange to not see this answer in the thread, but I constantly hear them referred to as "90's Rock" by casual fans or the general public.

It's a convenient term for lumping together the 90's trends of Grunge, Alternative Rock, and the various other sub-genres like Post-Grunge that were played on mainstream radio for much of the decade.

For instance, "Chris Cornell and Billy Corgan were my favorite 90's rock singers." It would be far less likely for the general public to say "Alternative" or "Grunge" there.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:08 AM   #25
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
For instance, "Chris Cornell and Billy Corgan were my favorite 90's rock singers." It would be far less likely for the general public to say "Alternative" or "Grunge" there.
The thought that anyone would claim that Billy Corgan was his favorite 90's rock singer is fucking hilarious.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:04 AM   #26
Cool As Ice Cream

Arrow

Quote:

weird innit
you're a butt, you butt

Old 05-26-2017, 05:39 AM   #27
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 05-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #28
FoolofaTook

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by toase View Post
japnoise mostly
This is a grave insult. Japnoise... pshaw! More like sludge drone doom dronedoom stoner shoegaze blackgaze hardcore punk dreampop progressive rock post metal etc etc etc

Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #29
FoolofaTook

I don't even know all the subgenres!

God I love Boris. Someone should teach me to say rocks in spanish. i already know pesado.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #30
SomaPhreak
Ownz

Default Answer

The public considers the Pumpkins to be a 90s alternative rock band that has the ability to cross over to the pop and hard rock genres.