Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #3721
fuzzyroes
Banned

Oh, yeah, I forgot there was all those straight to video ones... Those are probably garbage. I'm talking strictly the Culkin ones.

The hotel scene's great though. Pretty much an exact retread of the scene with the pizza delivery man and the whole "1, 2 10" thing from the original. Hey, if it's great and hilarious, why change it! In a similar scene in the sequel I thought it was pretty funny that his little Talkboy thing produced enough volume to trick the concierge into thinking someone was singing in the shower. Oh well. Hell, most of the comedic charm of those late 80's/early 90's movies is the ridiculousness.

On another note, I wonder how much the Talkboy company paid the movie to feature that little thing. That was about as big of a product-placement sell as you'll ever see... It was an effective one though. I know I ended up bugging my parents into getting me one after watching the movie :P

I'd actually like to have one now. It was pretty cool. I don't know what the hell ever happened to mine.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:41 AM   #3722
fuzzyroes
Banned

I mean, just look at that fucking thing! The definition of rad as I see it.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:42 AM   #3723
MarquisInSpades
Banned

hahahahah, I remember that scene. The Culkin ones are the best ones. And the ridiculousness was also something that always fascinated me.
I want a Talkboy. that thing seems awesome. if you ever find it, do post a picture.
I really like the Culkin brothers. Loved the younger in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, he played Wallace Wells. Have you seen it?

Old 12-25-2017, 12:49 AM   #3724
fuzzyroes
Banned

I saw a little bit of it when it was shown on TV years later. It was pretty cool, but not exactly what I'm into. I don't recall seeing a Culkin in it though, I'm gonna google that shit!

Talkboy was cool. A bunch of other neighborhood kids went out and got one too. I gotta imagine whatever the company paid the movie ended up being money amazingly well spent. Years later I'd use it to record guitar, and the mic quality was actually quite good. I mean it's obviously a glorified tape recorder, but it was compact enough to double as a walkman as well... So it's a pretty cool item. Talkboy had a whole line of other little recording device gizmos that came later that were super popular. For awhile the brand was a household name.... Kinda funny to think back on now in the days of the technology boom that such a simple item seemed so cool to kids.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:53 AM   #3725
fuzzyroes
Banned

Holy crap. I'm reading now that it was originally just a prop for the movie, but since it was so popular a company produced one and it became a massive hit

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalind...BBm#.jqM1qqVVd

I don't know if I buy that or not though.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:57 AM   #3726
fuzzyroes
Banned

Who knew, you learn something new every day!

Old 12-25-2017, 01:02 AM   #3727
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Imagining those days is very fascinating. I don't like the majority of kids, and how their lives are linked to technology nowadays.
I remember my dad giving me his old Walkman and it blew my mind. Thing was cylindrical, had a mic, and a built-in radio. I used it all the time, until my sister broke it.
You should check out Scott Pilgrim. Both the comics and the movie are based in Toronto. Michael Cera is awesome. Might seem a little weird, but it's great. I can give you the comics if you want.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:06 AM   #3728
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Holy crap. I'm reading now that it was originally just a prop for the movie, but since it was so popular a company produced one and it became a massive hit

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalind...BBm#.jqM1qqVVd

I don't know if I buy that or not though.
whoa. hahaha. that is cool.

I'd just buy the original one though.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:09 AM   #3729
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
Imagining those days is very fascinating. I don't like the majority of kids, and how their lives are linked to technology nowadays.
I remember my dad giving me his old Walkman and it blew my mind. Thing was cylindrical, had a mic, and a built-in radio. I used it all the time, until my sister broke it.
You should check out Scott Pilgrim. Both the comics and the movie are based in Toronto. Michael Cera is awesome. Might seem a little weird, but it's great. I can give you the comics if you want.
You know what, that's not a bad idea. The libraries out here have an extensive collection of graphic novels and I think they have some of the Scott Pilgrim collections. I think I'll give those a chance cause you're not the first person to talk glowingly about the content to me. I think it might be one of those things where you have to be familiar with the comics to really dig the movie.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:14 AM   #3730
MarquisInSpades
Banned

I'm not completely sure about that. I watched the movie first, although I feel it would've been much better if I had read the comics earlier.
I won't spoil anything for you, I'm not even gonna tell you about the experiences I had when it came to the comics and movie. It's something very special. And it's a very nice story overall. The artist of the comics, Bryan Lee O Malley, is a huge SP fan. You can find a lot of SP-related stuff in the comics and movie.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:15 AM   #3731
MarquisInSpades
Banned

SP= Smashing Pumpkins, lol.

Pretty sure he named the main character Scott Pilgrim because of the initials. Plus, it's also the name of a song by Plumtree.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #3732
MarquisInSpades
Banned

fuck yeah.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #3733
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Christmas Evil - 7/10

Young boy witnesses mommy getting unwrapped by Santa, grows up to be Patrick Bateman minus the good looks and charm. Surprisingly effective psychological thriller with one of the greatest and most abrupt WTF endings I've seen in my life.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #3734
Elphenor
Braindead

saw that new Tom cruise movie about one of the pilots that benefited from Reagan's attempt at fighting communism in South America by illegally sending guns to "rebels" that were just drug dealers sending coke back to the US

was pretty funny 8/10

Old 12-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #3735
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I'm going to rewatch the last three episodes if Samurai Champloo. Drunk.

Shit's about to get real.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:12 PM   #3736
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Where to Invade Next 7/10

Typical Michael Moore. Surprisingly tear-jerking at the end. Overstated and mostly incorrect but that goes without saying. Some interesting vignettes of places unknown to me made it a 7/10

Old 12-27-2017, 03:26 AM   #3737
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
I'm going to rewatch the last three episodes if Samurai Champloo. Drunk.

Shit's about to get real.
Your a grown man still watching anime?

Old 12-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #3738
LaBelle
Socialphobic

The Greatest Showman - 5/5
I loved it. Great songs and choreography, story was also good. Even Zac Efron didn't bother me.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #3739
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Got around to watching 10 Cloverfield Lane.

It succeeds as a thriller. The suspense is high and the tension is thick.

But I still can't say it's an amazing movie... I mean, through most of the movie, I kind of had the urge to skip ahead to the end to find out if Goodman's character was telling the truth or not, because that was all I really cared about. Had the movie been better, I probably wouldn't have had this urge, because I would have been engrossed by the development leading up to the reveal.

And after the reveal happens, it's hard to care about anything that happens after that. I feel like I should have been thrilled by the conclusion that opens up an entirely new plot thread that could easily be its own movie, thereby turning the genre on its head by having all the genre elements be part of the film's open ending, and I feel like that was an interesting choice, but still... I just couldn't bring myself to care all that much about it.

Still, despite being a bit underwhelmed, I appreciate the film. It does seem clever and fresh to do this as a really contained, no-budget film that derives all its tension from the interaction of our three characters, rather than relying on overblown sequences and set pieces. It was bold and creative, especially for a big studio film. And I can see how it's a spiritual successor to the first film, despite not being a sequel. It works on the same concept of taking an overdone film genre, and executing it in a way very unconventional for that genre. And it was much better than the first, because once you get past the first-person shaky cam of Cloverfield, it's really not that different from a typical monster movie (other than the fact that it follows the people "on the ground" who have no idea what's going on, and not the government scientist guy who comes up with the plan to bomb the monster or whatever). 10 Cloverfield Lane actually succeeds in taking its genre and doing it in an innovative way, instead of just putting a superficial veneer atop it.

Maybe there will be more films that follow this formula that have "Cloverfield" somewhere in the title, creating kinda an anthology franchise of "weird genre movies." Hell, I could see it spinning off into a television miniseries of hour-long episodes or something.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #3740
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Who knew, you learn something new every day!
no, you don't.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #3741
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Bad Santa 2. 10/10. Absolutely nothing disappointing about this movie.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #3742
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Bad Santa 2. 10/10. Absolutely nothing disappointing about this movie.
Is this part of your stand-up act?

Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #3743
vixnix
Socialphobic

No, I think this is the most perfect sequel ever made. Actually no, Terminator 2 is the most perfect sequel every made, but Bad Santa 2 comes pretty close.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:56 AM   #3744
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Spider-Man 2 is the best sequel ever made. And I'm talking Raimi, not that Mark Webb Andrew Garfield BS.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:14 AM   #3745
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
Spider-Man 2 is the best sequel ever made. And I'm talking Raimi, not that Mark Webb Andrew Garfield BS.
you heard it folks, Spider-Man 2 > Godfather II

In the realm of comic book films at least, Spider-Man 2, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and Thor: Ragnarok all definitely top their first films

Also, Empire Strikes Back and Last Jedi

Old 12-29-2017, 01:17 AM   #3746
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Talking

Well, okay, one of the best sequels ever made. xD

I agree, though. Ragnarok did for Thor what The Winter Soldier did for Captain America.

DC, however....

Old 12-29-2017, 01:23 AM   #3747
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Dark Knight definitely topped Batman Begins, but DC has been a dumpster fire since then (Wonder Woman was pretty good)

Old 12-29-2017, 01:24 AM   #3748
MarquisInSpades
Banned

It was very good. I thought they took a step in the right direction with WW, but they went ahead and fucked it up with JL.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:25 AM   #3749
MarquisInSpades
Banned

All Nolan directed films were awesome. This stands true for his non-DC movies as well.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:26 AM   #3750
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
you heard it folks, Spider-Man 2 > Godfather II

In the realm of comic book films at least, Spider-Man 2, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and Thor: Ragnarok all definitely top their first films

Also, Empire Strikes Back and Last Jedi

NERD ALERT